382 replies to this topic

#1 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I have been hoping that I see a consistency that shows that this guy can be a number 1 for Buffalo but I just don't see it happening. He has his moments but let's face it, this team is thinking one of two things:

1) Trade Miller and all but assure yourself of a top 3 pick next year
2) Do everything they can to make Miller happy and have one hell of an off-season.

I think we all know that they are leaning towards option 1 so I sure hope they have a solid plan to fill that tender spot eventually. I really don't think a lot people realize how valuable someone like Miller is to building a champion.

#2 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

I believe Enroth is a bridge to Ullmark/Makarov.
I'm not concerned about the net tending for next season, it's the following season where I'd like to see a plan being executed.

#3 ddaryl

ddaryl

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

By the time this team is ready to compete again Millers days in the league will be numebred.  There are some solid goaltending prospects in the Sabres system.. but Enroth just isn't #1 material...

Ya have to trade Miller and maintain the rebuild IMO. Way to late to turn back now.

Your also not going to bring in any top FA's with this team... So until the youth they've brought in starts to show promise and the Sabres are a playoff team with the youth movement in place... going fishing for high profile players is a waste of time.

Hopefully Miller can be traded for solid youth assets or picks or both to a team who is trying to win it all now and willing ot part with those assets for that chance.

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,132 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Let's see him as a number one and we'll have an answer.

#5 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Beat me to it -- I was thinking about starting an Enroth thread.

(If you feel like it, you might consider adding a poll, and asking whether people here think Enroth is good enough to be a #1 NHL goalie for a playoff team -- just a suggestion, as this is what I was thinking about doing.)

I think that Miller is probably gone and that if they don't bring in another goalie during the summer, that will mean they are planning on tanking again next season -- because IMHO they can't be looking at Enroth and thinking that he can carry the mail next year for a team that is trying to get into the playoffs.

#6 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 24 January 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Let's see him as a number one and we'll have an answer.

Exactly. While I don't think he's shown us enough to give us confidence in him as a number one, you never know what will happen if he becomes the full-time starter.

#7 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I can not put my final hammer on enroth.

It's a difficult job for a goalie to play ...wait 10 days...play again...wait 6 days play again...wait 12 days ... play again..

If I remember correctly when Miller was injured and he played many games in a row, he found his zone and was on top of his game night in and night out.

#8 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

In Enroth we trust!  #Tank2015

#9 mphs mike

mphs mike

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Enroth and Hackett next year and the management team will know what needs to be done for future goaltending needs.

#10 Numark

Numark

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think enroth definitely has the potential to be a good starting goalie with a solid defense.

#11 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'd like to see Enroth in enough games to see if he can adjust to cover the top of the net better.

#12 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostNumark, on 24 January 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I think enroth definitely has the potential to be a good starting goalie with a solid defense.

Numark, I love that avatar man, kudos to you for that one.................. :flirt:

#13 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostCallawaySabres, on 24 January 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

I really don't think a lot people realize how valuable someone like Miller is to building a champion.
Is it really the ONE thing that all Stanley Cup Champs excelled at?  Many of the post lock out winners has goalies that just went on fantastic runs during the playoffs and may not even be considered franchise goalies.

#14 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

View Postinkman, on 24 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Is it really the ONE thing that all Stanley Cup Champs excelled at?  Many of the post lock out winners has goalies that just went on fantastic runs during the playoffs and may not even be considered franchise goalies.

Definitely. It's all about the defense and the system for goaltenders lately.

#15 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

View Postinkman, on 24 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

But all Stanley Cup teams have legitimate starting gt.  Washington failed at winning playoffs because of crap gt, Philly too.  Niemi, Crawford, fleury, Thomas all were good and all but Thomas have been good since. Quick has been okay since. I think you need a gt that can play at a higher level and I think Miller gives you that option. I think Enroth is not.

#16 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

I'm an old-school guy who believes a team should have an upper-echelon goalie.
I like Jhonas. Best back-up this team has had since Marty, may even be good enough to be a decent NHL starter on a lockdown team like the Blues.
But he is not the answer for this team long-term.

#17 FolignosJock

FolignosJock

Komisarek cant hold me !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Enroth is an ok backup tender. Not a starter. Never should be. He will make sure of the tank for next season if he is the starter.

#18 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

I see it as: Philly_average_GT < Enroth < Miller. I think Enroth tops out around where Miller is most years, but if I were fantasty betting I'd Enroth being Marty Biron 1.9 (not 2.0 because Enroth is too short, hey-oooh). He'll be good enough as a backup that people will think he's a starter, but when given the job he'll just barely not be good enough.

#19 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostMattPie, on 24 January 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

He'll be good enough as a backup that people will think he's a starter, but when given the job he'll just barely not be good enough.

This.

#20 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

If Miller is traded there is most likely a goalie coming back. For example a trade with St. Louis......Halak or Eliot starts over Enroth.

Halak is straight up better. Ad Halak.
Elliot is about equal...but more experience and size. Ad...Elliot

Most trade scenarios I see this playing out.

#21 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 January 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

If Miller is traded there is most likely a goalie coming back. For example a trade with St. Louis......Halak or Eliot starts over Enroth.

Halak is straight up better. Ad Halak.
Elliot is about equal...but more experience and size. Ad...Elliot

Most trade scenarios I see this playing out.

Halak and/or Elliott are UFAs. So we could easily ship them off or not resign them in the offseason. If the team brings one back and doesn't move them, they might not start either simply because they may not be in the plans going forward.

#22 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

This organization should be looking for a young goalie coming back in at least one of the fire sale trades.
And using one of our many seconds to grab another.

Someone to compete with Enroth and Hackett now and someone to compete with Ullmark and Peterson in the future.

#23 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

View Postdudacek, on 24 January 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

This organization should be looking for a young goalie coming back in at least one of the fire sale trades.

Someone to compete with Enroth and Hackett now and someone to compete with Ullmark and Peterson in the future.
Disagree, especially on the 2nd part.  We should be drafting good solid scoring forwards with the 2nd round picks.  No reason to draft GT when we have 3 already in the system showing potential.  They should do what they did last year and draft a GT in the 4th or later rounds. For isntance Cal Petersen in the 5th round last year is exactly the type of thing to look for.  Linus Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Miller was a 5th rounder.

As for trades, if that was an add on (a decent young gt) than fine. If it is a major piece (Miller for Allen and a late pick (3rd or later)) than screw that.

#24 Eric William Richardson

Eric William Richardson

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

I believe in Enroth. It's very hard to pass judgement. for the most part he has a team playing in front of him that has gone through two coaches, is not very good, and is learning how to win. He plays every once in a while and when he has the team has left him high and dry for the most part. When he has come in during millers injury or during the world games for his home nation he has been very good when given a regular role. Trade Miller and extend Enroth for two years. If he does not pan out we have a plethora of goaltenders in the system. But we have to be fair and give him at least the rest of the season after miller is gone to prove he can do this on a constant basis. He has never been the number one guy.

#25 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 24 January 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Disagree, especially on the 2nd part.  We should be drafting good solid scoring forwards with the 2nd round picks.  No reason to draft GT when we have 3 already in the system showing potential.  They should do what they did last year and draft a GT in the 4th or later rounds. For isntance Cal Petersen in the 5th round last year is exactly the type of thing to look for.  Linus Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Miller was a 5th rounder.

As for trades, if that was an add on (a decent young gt) than fine. If it is a major piece (Miller for Allen and a late pick (3rd or later)) than screw that.

You want us to pick forwards with every draft pick we have? I would love to pick up thatcher Demko this draft.

#26 FolignosJock

FolignosJock

Komisarek cant hold me !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 January 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

You want us to pick forwards with every draft pick we have? I would love to pick up thatcher Demko this draft.

Gosh that would be awesome!

Also if Darcy taught us anything it is to not go one position heavy! We lose defensemen in the playoffs and dont have many good ones on the farm and waht happens all we take is good defensemen for what seems like forever. Now we have 7 guys on the team or in the system who are supposed to be top pairing d men in the next 2-3 years. Meanwhile we only have 3-4 forward prospects who look like they will be in the top 6 one day. IT HAS TO BE BALANCED!

#27 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

View Postdudacek, on 24 January 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

I think you need at least one vet as an option in net. But that's just my bias.

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

If the Sabres trade Miller and a goalie comes back who starts over Enroth, does Enroth say "Trade me right f*cking now!"?

Because I would have to think that would be his reaction.

#29 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 January 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

If the Sabres trade Miller and a goalie comes back who starts over Enroth, does Enroth say "Trade me right f*cking now!"?

Trade him? What do you think his value is right now?

Try this drill: Find one team that would pick up Enroth right now if you waived him?

#30 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 24 January 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

Through rounds 1 and 2 this year, yes. Hell if we get lucky Alex Tuch will be sitting their when we draft 32nd overall. Reid Gardiner would be another player in the mid 2nd round I wouldn't mind seeing drafted. Clark Bishop late in the 2nd wouldn't be bad. Nick Magyar, Emil Aronsson... all players that should be available in the 2nd round and all players I would love to have in the system.

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 January 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Try this drill: Find one team that would pick up Enroth right now if you waived him?
Philly, Washington, Edmonton, Islanders... I am sure there are others but those jump out at me.

#31 Numark

Numark

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Yea he would definilty be claimed...no risk, high reward.

#32 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Oilers would have before scrivens, but most likely the jets.

#33 FolignosJock

FolignosJock

Komisarek cant hold me !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

He would get picked up without a doubt on waivers. He might not start at the new team though.

#34 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think if you have a goalie that is saying F you to management, he gets traded to the highest bidder no matter what the price.

Philly would definitely claim him. Detroit might with all of their injury problems this year. Florida as well. The Islanders? Why not.

He'd get picked up. I just think bringing in a new starter right away without him being given what he would consider to be a fair chance to take the spot would sour him pretty quick. He was reluctant to even re-sign with the Sabre a few years ago wasn't he? But Darcy cited there being no market for him as a reason he didn't leave?

#35 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 24 January 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Through rounds 1 and 2 this year, yes. Hell if we get lucky Alex Tuch will be sitting their when we draft 32nd overall. Reid Gardiner would be another player in the mid 2nd round I wouldn't mind seeing drafted. Clark Bishop late in the 2nd wouldn't be bad. Nick Magyar, Emil Aronsson... all players that should be available in the 2nd round and all players I would love to have in the system.

Philly, Washington, Edmonton, Islanders... I am sure there are others but those jump out at me.

So Edmonton would have to in turn waive or trade Bryz or Scrivens....Washington: Holtby or Neuvirth...  Philly: Mason or Emery.....Isles......well that leaves the Isles....but with Snow there is no predicting what they would do.

My point is only he has little trade value without an injury somewhere in the league.

Edited by X. Benedict, 24 January 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#36 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 January 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Memories of Al Smith dancing in my head.

#37 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 24 January 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

So Edmonton would have to in turn waive or trade Bryz or Scrivens....Washington: Holtby or Neuvirth...  Philly: Mason or Emery.....Isles......well that leaves the Isles....but with Snow there is no predicting what they would do.

My point is only he has little trade value without an injury somewhere in the league.
You didn't ask what his trade value you was you asked if a team would claim him off waivers and I tossed out several.

#38 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

View Posttom webster, on 24 January 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Memories of Al Smith dancing in my head.

It's coming man. He'll settle for playing behind Miller but there's no way he lets another goalie come in and stuff him.

#39 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 24 January 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

You didn't ask what his trade value you was you asked if a team would claim him off waivers and I tossed out several.
True. But my line of thinking is that value starts with the waiver wire on up. If your market is only the NYI. There is no trade market.

#40 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 January 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

I think if you have a goalie that is saying F you to management, he gets traded to the highest bidder no matter what the price.

Philly would definitely claim him. Detroit might with all of their injury problems this year. Florida as well. The Islanders? Why not.

He'd get picked up. I just think bringing in a new starter right away without him being given what he would consider to be a fair chance to take the spot would sour him pretty quick. He was reluctant to even re-sign with the Sabre a few years ago wasn't he? But Darcy cited there being no market for him as a reason he didn't leave?

I think he'd probably get picked up, but it's not a sure thing.  As in the trade context, the goalie market tends to be much less fluid than it is for non-goalies.

More importantly, though, I am pretty sure that TM and PLF, in formulating their goalie plans for next year, don't really give a crap what Enroth's reaction is.