510 replies to this topic

#81 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,291 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

It amazes me how fast this board has condemned this kid to the discard pile.

He looked pretty good at the World Juniors. Just not NHL good. He played like a wimp when he was here before, how has that changed? He's a boy.

People would argue, and even you, that if you're a player in the AHL, for better for worse, you could probably play in the NHL. In a perfect world, Grigs should be in that group, in the AHL.

I do agree with you in not playing him with horrible players. He won't grow. Play him on the 1st or 2nd line. Take a player, no matter how good, that had no future with the Sabres and replace him with Grigs.

Plus, he won't be the only underachieving Sabre playing with boatloads of potential (see Omark).

This is the problem. There is no fit for him on this team. Not right now.

#82 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

this blows. i really dont want to trade him. if it was his agent that put him up to this, then @#$% that agent. i really feel grigo is going to be something special. what a mess. what a @#$%ing mess.

#83 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hrm. Not good. Hope we don't trade him though. Hopefully it was an emotional reaction. Coming off a decent world juniors to then be demoted to juniors must be tough

He said he wanted 50 points this season

#84 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

this. we have so little talent at forward and we just give up on a kid that has been jerked around left and right since the moment he became a part of this club. it is embarrassing.

#85 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

this. we have so little talent at forward and we just give up on a kid that has been jerked around left and right since the moment he became a part of this club. it is embarrassing.

Yeah the guy has really been mucked about by the organisation. Although i think not reporting is wrong. I do feel this organisation hasn't looked after him well. Especially as he is our prospect with the highest offensive ceiling

#86 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

My main problem with him from day 1 has been his skating.

I was really disappointed to see a prospect, apparently this hyped, be such a poor skater.

I mean, he appears to have his technique all wrong.

Too upright skating position, WAY too slow, and with the agility of Dave Andreychuk. Drunk!

I'm sure he can improve on this, but how much? He's not built like Joe Thornton, or even Thomas Vanek.

#87 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Not sure if this has been posted from Grigorenko's Facebook Page:

Hi everyone,

I just want to apologized for the situation going on right now. We just need to find a place for me where i can develop and be the best hockey player I can be. I came to North America 3 years ago coming from a home in Russia where I never had a bed, a shower or heat…I work everyday to be the best hockey player I can be so I can provide for my family, have a better life… Because hockey is all I have, my passion, who I am.

I am so grateful I played in Québec with one of the best coach in the world, amazing fans, people and city. I got to play against great players who are now doing amazing in the NHL. I’m also so proud I was drafted in the NHL by the Buffalo Sabres organization. I love the city and people there. I love my neighborhood and I love the guys. They also have owners who want everyone to be happy and love their team so much.

Now I would just ask all of you guys to respect me and the time I’m taking to think about my career. It might be hard to understand but it is even harder for a teenager.
Grigo

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 11 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#88 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

He's not built like Joe Thornton, or even Thomas Vanek.

Thorton is 6'4" 230
Vanek is 6'2 205
Grigs is 6'3" 200

#89 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Thorton is 6'4" 230
Vanek is 6'2 205
Grigs is 6'3" 200

And we're absolutely sure those no's are accurate? Cause he sure looks smaller than both.

Not shorter perhaps, but lankier.

#90 dudacek

dudacek

The ghost of the ghost of Dwight Drane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

But there's still other players with all-world talent who are stinking it up (Omark). Is he likewise "not ready"?

He's 26. He's either been hugely mishandled by the Oilers, or, more likely, not good enough.

It's amazing how quickly this kid started telling this organization what to do with him.
It's not the discard pile, it's the making the best out of a bad situation pile.

Yeah the guy has really been mucked about by the organisation. Although i think not reporting is wrong. I do feel this organisation hasn't looked after him well. Especially as he is our prospect with the highest offensive ceiling

No doubt, but that was the previous administration. The new guys told him they were starting with a clean slate. He should have done the same.

That's fair and it gives me hope there is room for a resolution.
We have to remind ourselves we haven't heard from him or the Sabres yet.
No one is sure exactly where the lines have been drawn.

Edited by dudacek, 11 January 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#91 etiennep99

etiennep99

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Trade Proposal: Grigorenko + Roy + Stafford + Szydlowski = Stastny + Pickard

Edited by etiennep99, 11 January 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#92 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,241 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Regardless of how you think the Sabres treated him or messed up his development, it is not unreasonable to tell him he is going back to juniors.

#93 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Regardless of how you think the Sabres treated him or messed up his development, it is not unreasonable to tell him he is going back to juniors.

asking him to play for the rest of the season in Quebec, then report to Rochester when he turns 20 is not unreasonable at all. Him throwing a hissy fit over a reasonable request from management shows his immaturity and lack of espirit de corp. NOT what we need in a rebuild.

#94 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

asking him to play for the rest of the season in Quebec, then report to Rochester when he turns 20 is not unreasonable at all. Him throwing a hissy fit over a reasonable request from management shows his immaturity and lack of espirit de corp. NOT what we need in a rebuild.

He turns 20 when the season is over

#95 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

That sucks. Dick move by Grigorenko. ###### Darcy.

#96 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

An immature 19 year old?......No way! I'm completely shocked!

#97 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

well this has the mark of a thoughtful & sincere kid who may have acted emotionally earlier today. And it's also easy to see how screwed up this situation has left him. I, for one, have always been pissed at the Sabres for playing him as they did on the 4th line with no compatible linemates. That completely was the wrong move. I am all for "earning" ice time, blah blah blah, but do the Sabres really think he is going to develop at the Junior level?

This is just a complete sh**show of a series of events and I do hope he & his agent come to grips with the Sabres decision. If I was him, though, I'd be wondering what the decision criteria is for getting back to Buffalo if he lights it up in the Q and shows a better all-around game.

#98 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

He turns 20 when the season is over

exactly, send him to juniors for a short period of time, evaluate the rest of the team in the meantime. Let him report to Rochester the minute he turns 20. A year in the AHL would be the best thing for him

#99 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

i agree. he does still need to man up and report, i just feel for the kid. never given a shot on a top line here just to even SEE what happens, and well....we all know what has happened. i guess we will see. i just feel like we will not get a return for him that will be worth it and it will bite us in the bum.

#100 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Grigorenko can actually report to Rochester for the season ends. Once the QMJHL season ends he can go to Rochester. Like last year.

#101 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

fair enough.

pretty well thought out response. he seems to want to be a star in the nhl without developing into one. hopefully he realizes we want him to be a star as well, but that it will take time.

#102 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

If you are trying to change the culture and the perceived culture of the worst team in the NHL and the worst team in franchise history, do you think it makes sense to tarnish the image of your first round draft pick and your club? The same draft pick that just showed the world he's got game. 36 hours ago, the new GM said he was going to make bold moves. Continuing the poor handling of one of your top prospects is not a bold move. I've seen others opine on here that this would be viewed negatively by other players. I disagree. Players are thick as thieves. If I saw how the Sabres were mishandling a prospect, I would think twice about the franchise. Buffalo has three options as I see them:

1. Send the kid to the Q -- A place where he has out grown
2. Keep the kid in Buffalo and work on his game
3. Trade him.

I opt for 2 if he is the future of the franchise. If management has decided he is not, then go option 3. But to pick option 1 is just plain dumb in my eyes.

As to the bolded points:

Did Tampa tarnish their image and Drouin's image when they sent him down to juniors? He was much more highly regarded than Griggy.

Why is sending him down "poor handling" if he's not an NHL player? Remember -- at this point, 3 NHL coaches and 2 NHL GMs, plus PLF, all of whom have seen much more of him and who know much more about hockey and player development than anyone here, have all decided that he's not ready for the NHL and that he'd be better off in juniors.

FWIW, Hamilton has reported that Griggy has rubbed other Sabres, Ott in particular, the wrong way through immaturity and lack of hustle.

#103 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

As to the bolded points:

Did Tampa tarnish their image and Drouin's image when they sent him down to juniors? He was much more highly regarded than Griggy.

Why is sending him down "poor handling" if he's not an NHL player? Remember -- at this point, 3 NHL coaches and 2 NHL GMs, plus PLF, all of whom have seen much more of him and who know much more about hockey and player development than anyone here, have all decided that he's not ready for the NHL and that he'd be better off in juniors.

FWIW, Hamilton has reported that Griggy has rubbed other Sabres, Ott in particular, the wrong way through immaturity and lack of hustle.

link?

#104 mjd1001

mjd1001

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

link?

I don't have a link myself, but I did hear Hamilton on WGR a month or two ago say the same thing nfreeman put in his post, that some other players weren't happy with his attitude/hustle.

#105 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

We're Gonna Win That Cup!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi everyone,
I just want to apologized for the situation going on right now.

We just need to find a place for me where i can develop and be the best hockey player I can be.

I came to North America 3 years ago coming from a home in Russia where I never had a bed, a shower or heat...I work everyday to be the best hockey player I can be so I can provide for my family, have a better life... Because hockey is all I have, my passion, who I am.

"I am so grateful I played in Québec with one of the best coach in the world, amazing fans, people and city. I got to play against great players who are now doing amazing in the NHL. I'm also so proud I was drafted in the NHL by the Buffalo Sabres organization. I love the city and people there. I love my neighborhood and I love the guys. They also have owners who want everyone to be happy and love their team so much.

Now I would just ask all of you guys to respect me and the time I'm taking to think about my career. It might be hard to understand but it is even harder for a teenager."
Grigo

#106 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi everyone,
I just want to apologized for the situation going on right now.

We just need to find a place for me where i can develop and be the best hockey player I can be.

I came to North America 3 years ago coming from a home in Russia where I never had a bed, a shower or heat...I work everyday to be the best hockey player I can be so I can provide for my family, have a better life... Because hockey is all I have, my passion, who I am.

"I am so grateful I played in Québec with one of the best coach in the world, amazing fans, people and city. I got to play against great players who are now doing amazing in the NHL. I'm also so proud I was drafted in the NHL by the Buffalo Sabres organization. I love the city and people there. I love my neighborhood and I love the guys. They also have owners who want everyone to be happy and love their team so much.

Now I would just ask all of you guys to respect me and the time I'm taking to think about my career. It might be hard to understand but it is even harder for a teenager."
Grigo

His agent did a nice job. Wonder if MG just gave him his sign in and password or he copied and pasted.

#107 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

His agent did a nice job. Wonder if MG just gave him his sign in and password or he copied and pasted.

I hope you are joking about the last part, right?

#108 stenbaro

stenbaro

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

If this is how he feels, then the Sabres didn't do a well enough of job of letting him know that this is the only option they have.

He's not NHL-ready, being here will only hurt his development further.

He'll be with the Amerks next year, but perhaps he wouldn't be too happy about that either?

I agree, he never should've been brought here in the first place, but that cluster###### is on former management, and there's nothing anyone can do about it now.

I will chime in on this one....

Put him on the first line play him till he begs to come off....
This is going to do one of two things
A. He succeeds ands proves to everyone he belongs
B. He gets his ass handed to him and he says ok lets do it your way.

Its a win win for the Sabres...If he succeeds we have a found a center, if he fails myabe he might get "it" and our bottom of the standings is cemented...

So I ask again..Why send him down...Play him till he is a minus 72 on the plus minus..It will either wake him up or maybe he is that good...quit dicking around and find out please

#109 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

wow, talk about guilty before proven innocent by the jury on Sabrespace .....BTW, this is what a good agent does, if indeed he was behind it

#110 Jeanbe

Jeanbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

My thought on reading it was it was a PR guy (aka agent) that wrote that.

#111 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

I will chime in on this one....

Put him on the first line play him till he begs to come off....
This is going to do one of two things
A. He succeeds ands proves to everyone he belongs
B. He gets his ass handed to him and he says ok lets do it your way.

Its a win win for the Sabres...If he succeeds we have a found a center, if he fails myabe he might get "it" and our bottom of the standings is cemented...

So I ask again..Why send him down...Play him till he is a minus 72 on the plus minus..It will either wake him up or maybe he is that good...quit dicking around and find out please

what message does that send to the rest of the locker room, or for that matter the players that either have their ice time reduced or taken away to appease this crybaby?

#112 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

I don't have a link myself, but I did hear Hamilton on WGR a month or two ago say the same thing nfreeman put in his post, that some other players weren't happy with his attitude/hustle.

Thanks. I also do not have a link as this was Hamilton reporting this on the radio (more than once).

#113 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

My thought on reading it was it was a PR guy (aka agent) that wrote that.

I just dont think the poster is MG's agent or MG himself

#114 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Trade Proposal: Grigorenko + Roy + Stafford + Szydlowski = Stastny + Pickard

Roy & Szydlowski? They aren't even good AHL players...neither was Grigorenko for that matter.

#115 sicknfla

sicknfla

Third Liner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

The minute I read it I thought his agent wrote it. Hope I am wrong but that seemed very well written from a 19 year old kid 3 years removed from Russia.

#116 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

I just dont think the poster is MG's agent or MG himself

I think Tom was suggesting that Grigs copied and pasted that message from his agent to his Facebook account. Not that one of them is posting here.

#117 MILFHUNTER#518

MILFHUNTER#518

Formerly BADMOFO518

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

The minute I read it I thought his agent wrote it. Hope I am wrong but that seemed very well written from a 19 year old kid 3 years removed from Russia.

the words themselves, maybe. I was trying to say the poster is def not grigs nor his agent

#118 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

the words themselves, maybe. I was trying to say the poster is def not grigs nor his agent

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks that

#119 Darryl Shannon's +/-

Darryl Shannon's +/-

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

This probably would have been a non-issue 15 years ago. It's a young, stupid kid who is angry at his demotion who will probably wake up tomorrow morning knowing that if he doesn't do 3-4 months in junior that he forfeits the possibility of a huge future. Nothing to see here in my opinion. This is just social media stupidity and will probably be resolved in a day or two.

And let's also put this on the organeyezation. In hindsight, it would have made far more sense to keep him in junior all along and not show him the bright lights (or huge $$$$) when he wasn't close to ready.

And if he doesn't work out.....honestly, not a huge deal. First round picks are not slam dunks, and Terry said from day 1 that he didn't want to have his staff being afraid of making mistakes. Grigs is a boom or bust type of pick. If he busts, we have a many more spins at the wheel. And even more to come come this trade deadline.

#120 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

And if he doesn't work out.....honestly, not a huge deal. First round picks are not slam dunks, and Terry said from day 1 that he didn't want to have his staff being afraid of making mistakes. Grigs is a boom or bust type of pick. If he busts, we have a many more spins at the wheel. And even more to come come this trade deadline.

I get what you are saying. I don't think this franchise can afford to dump it's talent for first round picks and then fire blanks.