Jump to content


Ted Nolan interim tag could be removed soon


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

    tank on..

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WNY

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

per channel 2 news

#2 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Per Tim Murray.

#3 Dannepanne

Dannepanne

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ted Nolan is 8-11-4 since Nov. 13. (when he became interim coach)

Edited by Dannepanne, 10 January 2014 - 06:37 PM.


#4 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

So what exactly is the difference anyway? Does it mean that they don't first have to give you a vote of confidence before they fire you if you are interim?

#5 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

It doesn't mean much, but it implies a few things:
The coach will likely be around at least until the end of the season.
Sabres will likely offer a contract extension of at least a year.
Tells the players for better or worse that the coach is here to stay.
Tells the coach that he can start to shape his coaching staff a little more, especially in the off season.

#6 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I would like to see Nolan's contract, because they never talk about giving him an extension. Just removing the tag. Removing the tag of a guy on a one-year deal is just a courtesy and nothing more. Which is what "doing something for him" implies anyways.

#7 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boca Raton, FL

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 January 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

It doesn't mean much, but it implies a few things:
The coach will likely be around at least until the end of the season.
Sabres will likely offer a contract extension of at least a year.
Tells the players for better or worse that the coach is here to stay.
Tells the coach that he can start to shape his coaching staff a little more, especially in the off season.

Would it be in bad taste if they made the offer for $500K/yr?

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 10 January 2014 - 07:47 PM.


#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,486 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

If they do make him the coach, can we officially refer to Darcy's time, not as the Regier Era, but as the Nolan Hiatus?

#9 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 January 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

It doesn't mean much, but it implies a few things:
The coach will likely be around at least until the end of the season.
Sabres will likely offer a contract extension of at least a year.
Tells the players for better or worse that the coach is here to stay.
Tells the coach that he can start to shape his coaching staff a little more, especially in the off season.


PLF said Nolan was here till the end of the season at the original presser. I'm sure that was a condition for him taking a leave from the Latvia job. Also, you are not going to put together much of a staff if you only get a one year extension.

#10 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:




PLF said Nolan was here till the end of the season at the original presser. I'm sure that was a condition for him taking a leave from the Latvia job. Also, you are not going to put together much of a staff if you only get a one year extension.

Murray knows the Sabres....he's seen them play the past decade. He knows who's been naughty and nice, and I am sure appreciates the effort Nolan is getting out of a subpar team as opposed to Lindy at the end. His uncle also undressed Ruff as a coach during the '07 playoffs by pressuring the point on the PP, which led to disaster by the time Lindy could figure out what hit him.

Murray has admitted they need better players, it's going to take another year to gather some momentum. If you listened to his interview in TO, he says his guy Luke Richardson is in a good place right now with his team and family. They probably give Nolan a 3 year deal...assuming he is the coach for next year, then playing it by ear. Terry will eat the salary if it came to that.

#11 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:High and wide

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Murray knows the Sabres....he's seen them play the past decade. He knows who's been naughty and nice, and I am sure appreciates the effort Nolan is getting out of a subpar team as opposed to Lindy at the end. His uncle also undressed Ruff as a coach during the '07 playoffs by pressuring the point on the PP, which led to disaster by the time Lindy could figure out what hit him.

Murray has admitted they need better players, it's going to take another year to gather some momentum. If you listened to his interview in TO, he says his guy Luke Richardson is in a good place right now with his team and family. They probably give Nolan a 3 year deal...assuming he is the coach for next year, then playing it by ear. Terry will eat the salary if it came to that.

I think that is exactly how it should work out. Nolan is the right coach for this team right now and for next year as well.
If he can help the team make the step the following year he might stick around, if not, you know what they say about coaches.

#12 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

After the recent extensions, I don't think it's unreasonable to extend Ted Nolan more than one year, and have Terry eat it if the ###### hits the fan.  Mostly for this sort of reasoning:

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Also, you are not going to put together much of a staff if you only get a one year extension.


#13 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:High and wide

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Right now you've got Randy Cunneyworth and Joe Sacco in the organization, and you can bet there will be a new guy in Rochester and maybe others elsewhere.
Patty wants to buy every shiny toy out there for his staff and right now Terry is happy to oblige.

#14 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Murray knows the Sabres....he's seen them play the past decade. He knows who's been naughty and nice, and I am sure appreciates the effort Nolan is getting out of a subpar team as opposed to Lindy at the end. His uncle also undressed Ruff as a coach during the '07 playoffs by pressuring the point on the PP, which led to disaster by the time Lindy could figure out what hit him.

Murray has admitted they need better players, it's going to take another year to gather some momentum. If you listened to his interview in TO, he says his guy Luke Richardson is in a good place right now with his team and family. They probably give Nolan a 3 year deal...assuming he is the coach for next year, then playing it by ear. Terry will eat the salary if it came to that.

I would agree with most of this other then another silly attempt to throw LR under the bus with no factual basis. I am not a big fan of Nolan but I think he works for at least the next year and hopefully proves me wrong.

#15 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:



I would agree with most of this other then another silly attempt to throw LR under the bus with no factual basis. I am not a big fan of Nolan but I think he works for at least the next year and hopefully proves me wrong.

My only factual basis on Ruff is that if you watch that series, it was over in a heartbeat because the puck moving D-men and Pommer on the point, couldn't handle pressure and wilted.

That's why I found today's interview on GR with Murray interesting. He was praising the puck moving D-men and burying the physical, clear the net guys. His uncle torched a coach who had his entire system built off of puck moving D-men....



#16 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

My only factual basis on Ruff is that if you watch that series, it was over in a heartbeat because the puck moving D-men and Pommer on the point, couldn't handle pressure and wilted.

That's why I found today's interview on GR with Murray interesting. He was praising the puck moving D-men and burying the physical, clear the net guys. His uncle torched a coach who had his entire system built off of puck moving D-men....

And the year before Ruff schooled his uncle. And in Ruff's first year he schooled Nolan on how to beat the Flyers in the playoffs. It means nothing, has nothing to do with current situation and none of it has any real credibility. Just my opinion and yours and doesn't really have any basis in fact.
Teams have been moving toward puck moving defenseman for years and none of it has anything to do with a 2007 playoff series.

#17 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:



And the year before Ruff schooled his uncle. And in Ruff's first year he schooled Nolan on how to beat the Flyers in the playoffs. It means nothing, has nothing to do with current situation and none of it has any real credibility. Just my opinion and yours and doesn't really have any basis in fact.
Teams have been moving toward puck moving defenseman for years and none of it has anything to do with a 2007 playoff series.

The credibility is this....

Lindy Ruff has been the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres for 16.2 of the past 17 years.....and the new GM has been a key part of a division rival the past decade....so he KNOWS the Sabres....and KNOWS what they looked like the past 9.8 out of 10 years before Nolan got here....Soooo...there is a good chance he honestly appreciates the effort he has gotten out of the team and that Nolan fully deserves a shot moving forward.



#18 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

The credibility is this....

Lindy Ruff has been the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres for 16.2 of the past 17 years.....and the new GM has been a key part of a division rival the past decade....so he KNOWS the Sabres....and KNOWS what they looked like the past 9.8 out of 10 years before Nolan got here....Soooo...there is a good chance he honestly appreciates the effort he has gotten out of the team and that Nolan fully deserves a shot moving forward.

I forgot what fun a back and forth with you can be. I have no idea what point you have been trying to make is. I do agree with the last 26 words you wrote, though.

#19 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:



I forgot what fun a back and forth with you can be. I have no idea what point you have been trying to make is. I do agree with the last 26 words you wrote, though.

There isn't much to go back and forth on these days.....the team got some trustworthy stewards to run the ship, so I give the benefit of the doubt for the most part.

The only reason Murray beating Ruff was triggered was because of Tim Murray saying you need puck moving defensemen and not big guys to clear the net. Now he may have been oversimplifying things, but I found it ironic because his uncle saw that's all the Sabres had in '07 and made them poop their britches.



#20 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

There isn't much to go back and forth on these days.....the team got some trustworthy stewards to run the ship, so I give the benefit of the doubt for the most part.

The only reason Murray beating Ruff was triggered was because of Tim Murray saying you need puck moving defensemen and not big guys to clear the net. Now he may have been oversimplifying things, but I found it ironic because his uncle saw that's all the Sabres had in '07 and made them poop their britches.

So this is the new schtick? You can't get all riled up about the present so you want to re-hash a series from 6 years ago? A series in which 4 games were decided by 1 goal, two in overtime and one decided by a fluke goal? And the reason this happened was because Bryan befuddled the "puck-moving" defense?
Talk to you later.

#21 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:



So this is the new schtick? You can't get all riled up about the present so you want to re-hash a series from 6 years ago? A series in which 4 games were decided by 1 goal, two in overtime and one decided by a fluke goal? And the reason this happened was because Bryan befuddled the "puck-moving" defense?
Talk to you later.

Yes....that series was over in the 1st period of Game #1.....feel free to find the tape.....

I'm pretty much good with things now. Other than being stranded with a blizzard and bronchitis in a week with major hirings, I think I sit back here now. Not much to do but let the sauce cook and stir every now and then. Dinner isn't for awhile. At least I can trust the chefs now not to stick dirty syringes in the pot....

#22 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

New general manager has said he expects the Sabres to make a large step forward in two drafts. He does not see process over long for them to become competitive.   Removing tag and making him permanent head coach with a contract extension is saying he believes Ted Nolan a good man to groom a young team. not just not a placeholder until team gets good he given vote of confidence he important part of it. imo

#23 beerme1

beerme1

    First Line Center

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

There is no tank next year if Nolan is coach. We make the playoffs if he stays.

#24 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,687 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

View Postbeerme1, on 10 January 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

There is no tank next year if Nolan is coach. We make the playoffs if he stays.

Buzzzzzzzzzz kill.

#25 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

View Postbeerme1, on 10 January 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

There is no tank next year if Nolan is coach. We make the playoffs if he stays.

Effort doesn't take a rag tag group of guys to the playoffs. This team is still a bottom feeder either way.

Edited by Tankalicious, 11 January 2014 - 12:19 AM.


#26 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,416 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostTankalicious, on 11 January 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:



Effort doesn't take a rag tag group of guys to the playoffs. This team is still a bottom feeder either way.

Take a walk over to the Charts thread. Their pace under Nolan would put them pretty close next year.

#27 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,687 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 11 January 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

Take a walk over to the Charts thread. Their pace under Nolan would put them pretty close next year.

Yeah, but i think it's pretty unrealistic to expect Ryan Miller to play anywhere near his current form the year after the Olympics. This season must really be physically and mentally draining on him. And that is, if Miller is even here.

#28 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

View PostLoyalty, on 11 January 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

Yeah, but i think it's pretty unrealistic to expect Ryan Miller to play anywhere near his current form the year after the Olympics. This season must really be physically and mentally draining on him. And that is, if Miller is even here.

This. Plus, it wouldn't matter if he is here. A lot of teams perform on a high for a while after a coaching change. Momentum would likely die with the end of the season and then next season is a completely different story.

#29 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

My only factual basis on Ruff is that if you watch that series, it was over in a heartbeat because the puck moving D-men and Pommer on the point, couldn't handle pressure and wilted.

That's why I found today's interview on GR with Murray interesting. He was praising the puck moving D-men and burying the physical, clear the net guys. His uncle torched a coach who had his entire system built off of puck moving D-men....

Starting with Mike Fisher stripping Kalinin of the puck and scoring on a the ensuing breakaway.



I always thought the main difference in that series was how the Sens forwards pressured the puck carrier, and we didn't.

Lindy starting playing the third forward way high after that Mike Fisher breakaway, meaning the forecheck was less persistent.

And that team had picked up so many bad habits during the Presidents Trophy run, coasting through the Islanders and Rangers, ALMOST going down 3-2 in games against a most average Rags team, due to said bad habits.

Once they got their heads out of the clouds, it was too late against the Sens, who I might add, got absolutely manhandled by the Ducks in the final.

Hard to pin it all on Lindy, but when your team starts coasting, the coach usually has something to do with it.

Edited by Kristian, 11 January 2014 - 03:52 AM.


#30 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

    tank on..

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WNY

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

This thread has taken a life of its own. :thumbsup:

#31 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 January 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Murray knows the Sabres....he's seen them play the past decade. He knows who's been naughty and nice, and I am sure appreciates the effort Nolan is getting out of a subpar team as opposed to Lindy at the end. His uncle also undressed Ruff as a coach during the '07 playoffs by pressuring the point on the PP, which led to disaster by the time Lindy could figure out what hit him.

Murray has admitted they need better players, it's going to take another year to gather some momentum. If you listened to his interview in TO, he says his guy Luke Richardson is in a good place right now with his team and family. They probably give Nolan a 3 year deal...assuming he is the coach for next year, then playing it by ear. Terry will eat the salary if it came to that.
I mentioned this a few weeks ago, that no matter who the GM is you would be looking at a year long acclamation process. Being from a divisional rival will hopefully shorten that time estimate. This franchise has been stand still/going backwards for far too long. Like most fans, I want to start seeing progress and some positive momentum. This team is way overdue to have some luck going their way.

#32 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 10 January 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

If they do make him the coach, can we officially refer to Darcy's time, not as the Regier Era, but as the Nolan Hiatus?
Yes.

#33 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

View Posttom webster, on 10 January 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

So what exactly is the difference anyway? Does it mean that they don't first have to give you a vote of confidence before they fire you if you are interim?
It is like a promotion to the job you are already doing.

#34 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,966 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

One thing is for sure, with all of the narratives stemming from the Sabres, fans can't say the team is boring.

#35 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

@drosennhl: Why is it that in most cases when teams change coaches they immediatley play better? Is that even more of an indictment on the players?

Yeap

#36 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 13 January 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

One thing is for sure, with all of the narratives stemming from the Sabres, fans can't say the team is boring.

Not off the ice, anyway.

#37 beerme1

beerme1

    First Line Center

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostTankalicious, on 11 January 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

Effort doesn't take a rag tag group of guys to the playoffs. This team is still a bottom feeder either way.

Remember his first time around? People didn't expect the playoffs then either. There will be many different players next year. Tank or no tank also.

#38 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,851 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

View Postbeerme1, on 13 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:



Remember his first time around? People didn't expect the playoffs then either. There will be many different players next year. Tank or no tank also.

I think we learned shortly after he left that his first group wasn't a "rag tag" group of guys.

#39 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

View Postbeerme1, on 13 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Remember his first time around? People didn't expect the playoffs then either. There will be many different players next year. Tank or no tank also.

No tanks

#40 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Over the Boards: Sabres' Nolan keeps focus on today

Quote

Ted Nolan has rekindled his love affair with hockey and coaching in places such as Moncton, New Brunswick and Latvia. Buffalo is where he wants to continue to ply his trade for years to come, but he has no idea if he'll be allowed to do that.

Nolan, though, insists his focus is so much on today and what is happening right now with the Buffalo Sabres that he can't and won't allow himself to think about tomorrow, his future or if he will have the interim tag removed from his title and receive a multi-year contract to coach the club going forward.

"I'm more concerned in trying to prove that I'm the guy for this job to really turn it around and eventually try to win," Nolan, the Sabres interim coach since Nov. 13, told NHL.com.

Nolan doesn't think the proof he's trying to show his bosses will be influenced by the Sabres' win-loss record during the rest of this season. His task since taking over for Ron Rolston has been to change the culture and to jumpstart the development of some of the Sabres' young players. In that he's getting results, and the wins slowly have started to enter into the equation.

The Sabres entered Tuesday with a 9-12-6 record under Nolan after going 4-15-1 under Rolston. Their biggest improvements have come on defense.