Should the Sabres keep: Miller, Moulson, or Ott?

Ryan Miller Matt Moulson Steve Ott

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the Sabres keep them?

Ryan Miller

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Matt Moulson

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Steve Ott

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

So this being talked about in multiple threads but I wanted to see what the board felt like as a whole.  Pat Lafontaine has already said that they will trade if the deal is right, before or after a GM gets hired.

Personally for me I would try and keep all 3.  That may seem weird but I think Miller is worth more with a new contract and can be traded in the offseason if you can get him to resign (I doubt he will).  Right now I think it is a crap shoot if we can get something for Ryan simply because of the market.  Ryan is clearly playing like one of the best and would make just about any team better.  

Moulson I actually really like.  He is smart with his passing and quick with his shooting. His decision making is quite good and since RR and DR got fired after he was here only a short while, he wasn't tarnished by that fiasco.  He gives us our only real, proven top 6 winger and I think should be resigned to something like a 5yr deal.

Ott is a must.  Until Nolan came I was unsure but suddenly it is like Steve Ott has been resurrected from the dead.  I wouldn't give him a huge raise because he doesn't contribute enough on the scoresheet to justify that but maybe you could convince him.  3.75-4mil for 4years or something like that. I have heard ppl on here toss out 5mil 5years but that is rediculous.  He is a 3rd line energy guy with enough skill to be on the 2nd line when needed.  So even if you look at him as a 2nd line winger, that puts him at most with his production at around 4mil with the current cap.  Hard to tell with Steve but I hope he stays.

What say you?

Edited by LGR4GM, 18 November 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#2 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Miller: He's gone, everyone just needs to accept it and move on. Get what you can for him.

Moulson: Definitely get what you can for him, he's going to a contender in UFA for sure, and I can't blame him either. Would be really nice if he re-signed for 3, but just don't see it happening.

Ott: Keep him, worth his maturity and compete level to have him around the young guys.

#3 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 18 November 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Miller: He's gone, everyone just needs to accept it and move on. Get what you can for him.

Moulson: Definitely get what you can for him, he's going to a contender in UFA for sure, and I can't blame him either. Would be really nice if he re-signed for 3, but just don't see it happening.

Ott: Keep him, worth his maturity and compete level to have him around the young guys.
3years or 3million?

#4 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 18 November 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

3years or 3million?

3 for 4/4.5. If he can keep consistency with scoring. If not, then 3/3.5. I'm not concerned about a 3 year contract for 4 to 4.5 mil cap hit given how much is going to be coming off the payroll at the end of this season. It's good length and gives enough time to sort through the youth's contracts in 3 years.
I just don't see Moulson as the type of player to stick around to be a mentor/teacher of the game for the youngens. To much compete in him and I'd speculate he wants to win a Cup.

#5 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

If Miller won't commit in season to a new contract then move him for whatever you get.

If we can convince Moulson to sign a 1st line LW deal I see no reason not to.  It isn't like there is a 1st line LW waiting in the wings in our system to replace him.

If Ott will take 2nd line money I think he is a good re-sign.  He may be a 3rd line player but he has intangibles that make him worth more than the typical 3rd liner.

#6 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

A phrase I'm already tired of........compete level. Sorry, nothing personal.

#7 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

I like the idea for the poll but I think the questions might need a bit of tweaking.  The "maybe -- it depends on what they can get for him and his willingness to re-sign" option kinda swallows the question.

So it might be useful to include the assumption that the player is willing to re-sign before the trading deadline at a fair contract (i.e. the Sabres don't have to pay him 30% more than any other team would just to keep him).

Under that assumption, I voted to keep all 3.

#8 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 18 November 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

I like the idea for the poll but I think the questions might need a bit of tweaking.  The "maybe -- it depends on what they can get for him and his willingness to re-sign" option kinda swallows the question.

So it might be useful to include the assumption that the player is willing to re-sign before the trading deadline at a fair contract (i.e. the Sabres don't have to pay him 30% more than any other team would just to keep him).

Under that assumption, I voted to keep all 3.
So something like

Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal?

#9 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 18 November 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

So something like

Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal?

Yes, plus the "before the deadline" part so that risk is eliminated.

Sorry for butting into your poll.

#10 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 18 November 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Yes, plus the "before the deadline" part so that risk is eliminated.

You improved the poll, it is all good :flirt:

#11 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

No.  Miller does not seem to want to be here no matter what.

Maybe.  Not sure, he seems OK.

Yes.  I like Ott.

#12 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

o plz let us not lose our 1873871397th captain in the past 7 years again

sign ott, realistically speaking the org. may just part ways with miller, maybe trade moulson for picks but I actually like him wouldn't mind him being signed, and his home is close to BUF.. I don't think ott will re-sign though I think I remember someone say that he said he wants to go to a contender,,,.... but who doesn't? It's a really tough call. Glad I'm not the GM ;)

Edited by BuffaloBorn, 18 November 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think all three are gone.

Shame too, cause I feel this rebuild just got cut short by 2 years by canning Regier.

Perhaps Vanek could've been talked into staying had this move come last season, who knows?

Either way, at this point, it's all about moving forward I guess.

#14 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Bingo.

#15 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

No, No, and No.  Are we really talking about this?  Every time the Sabres are set for a rebuild, we have to panic and try to hold on to what we have?

Miller is 33 and we're building around guys who are 23 and younger.  Not a great fit and I think he's interested in making a run this year instead of spending the next few years hoping he can lead the kids to a playoff spot.

Moulson has no reason to want to stay in Buffalo and Ott is probably more valuable to us as a trade piece than as a long term solution to anything.

#16 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostRobviously, on 18 November 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

No, No, and No.  Are we really talking about this?  Every time the Sabres are set for a rebuild, we have to panic and try to hold on to what we have?

Miller is 33 and we're building around guys who are 23 and younger.  Not a great fit and I think he's interested in making a run this year instead of spending the next few years hoping he can lead the kids to a playoff spot.

Moulson has no reason to want to stay in Buffalo and Ott is probably more valuable to us as a trade piece than as a long term solution to anything.

:clapping:

#17 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postweave, on 18 November 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

If Miller won't commit in season to a new contract then move him for whatever you get.

If we can convince Moulson to sign a 1st line LW deal I see no reason not to. It isn't like there is a 1st line LW waiting in the wings in our system to replace him.

If Ott will take 2nd line money I think he is a good re-sign.  He may be a 3rd line player but he has intangibles that make him worth more than the typical 3rd liner.
Posted Image

#18 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostRobviously, on 18 November 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

He is a RW, no?  We still need a 1st line LW.

#19 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Miller I could see getting moved to the team we play tomorrow night St. Louis Blues. Ott I think we need to keep and Moulson I would like to keep but who really knows if they want to keep any of them. Problem is you can't have all of them go and if you do who in the hell are going to help the kids when they do arrive fulltime.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 18 November 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Really, inkman?  You had ALL FREAKIN' DAY!

Edited by Eleven, 18 November 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#21 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

My guesses on eventual destinations:

Ryan Miller to St. Louis for a first and Max Gardiner (talented young kid from Pegulaville aka Penn State).

Steve Ott stays beyond the deadline, but might walk in free agency. If he is traded, my guess is he heads to the Canucks for a first and third.

Matt Moulson to the Rangers for a first in either 14 or 15 and a 4th this year. (Rangers need scoring, and they know that Moulson would most likely extend as his family stayed in NY).

Edited by DStebb, 18 November 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#22 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

If miller and moulson go, i can't see Ott staying either unless you throw a huge chunk of money at him.
So voted no on all 3.

Anyways any of those that isn't signed by the deadline you trade.

Edited by Heimdall, 18 November 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#23 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

I wish things were different because I really like Miller, and I still think he has a good 3 more years left in the tank; however, crap, he is at the end of his career, and to be fair to him, he should be given a chance to win the Cup.

Can the Sabres be Cup contenders in 3 years? :mellow: It would be a miracle if they were.

To me, Moulson seems like the right guy , but the wrong time.

Steve Ott I think is the right guy at the right time; however, once again, he doesn't have a lot of years left, will he want to stay?

#24 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postweave, on 18 November 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

He is a RW, no?  We still need a 1st line LW.

LWs on the right side, wingers at center...sure, why not try a RW on the left side? :P

#25 jad1

jad1

Old School

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

It doesn't sound like Miller is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Even though Ryan Miller has owned the Leafs in his career with a 30-15-1 record, Nolan said he wanted to see a game with Jhonas Enroth in goal. He wasn’t impressed. It sounds like Miller is going to get the bulk of the work going forward.
“Now we know,” Nolan said. “We have one of the best goaltenders in the league. We’re going to monitor some rest time and ride the horse.”
Link

Edited by jad1, 18 November 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#26 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postjad1, on 18 November 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

It doesn't sound like Miller is going anyway, anytime soon:
Link

It's not Nolan's choice.

#27 Drunkard

Drunkard

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

I'd be happy to see any and all of the 3 guys mentioned extended if they were willing to resign before the deadline, unless we are blown away by an offer. Any of them that won't resign need to be traded though, preferably for prospects who will be ready to contribute sooner rather than later.

#28 jad1

jad1

Old School

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostDStebb, on 18 November 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

It's not Nolan's choice.
We'll see if Lafontaine disagrees with him.

#29 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

View Postjad1, on 18 November 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

We'll see if Lafontaine disagrees with him.

Nolan's not wrong. Nobody disagrees that Miller is the clear best goalie on this team and the workhorse. But it's not about that. And it hasn't been for a long time.

#30 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

I really hope someone gets smart and gets Enroth out of the system regardless of Miller. I love Jhonas, but he'll never be an NHL starter.

#31 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Miller is likely gone and I have scenario where he stays and its actually useful for us.

If Moulson is willing take 5 at 6mil before the deadline I'd keep him.

Ott needs to resign seeing as with the other two vets on the fence or in the other yard practically, we need vets to serve as examples to the youngsters.

All in all, if we end up trading all 3, I would expect Buffalo to heavily pursue at least 3 to 4 vets to help the team build. I don't want Edm has which is a bipolar hockey club with defensive troubles.

View Postd4rksabre, on 19 November 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

I really hope someone gets smart and gets Enroth out of the system regardless of Miller. I love Jhonas, but he'll never be an NHL starter.

I love him too, but I agree; his size is what kills him and in the modern NHL that is a major problem.  I wonder if we could pry Allen/Fawst/Gibson from hteir respective teams and deal Enroth to a team in need of a goalie.

#32 jad1

jad1

Old School

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostDStebb, on 18 November 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Nolan's not wrong. Nobody disagrees that Miller is the clear best goalie on this team and the workhorse. But it's not about that. And it hasn't been for a long time.
If there's any opportunity to re-sign Miller, I expect Lafontaine to sign him.  He and Nolan don't seem like the type of guys to gamble with goaltending.

#33 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

I like Jhonas as a backup, but not a long-term starter, Hackett has not impressed, and anyone in the system is at least three years away. If any of Ott, Moulson, or Miller can be used to pry a 22-year-old goalie ready to compete for the number one spot, it should be done.

#34 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postdudacek, on 19 November 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

I like Jhonas as a backup, but not a long-term starter, Hackett has not impressed, and anyone in the system is at least three years away. If any of Ott, Moulson, or Miller can be used to pry a 22-year-old goalie ready to compete for the number one spot, it should be done.

Which is why I would be ecstatic if Patty and/or new GM could talk Miller into a 4-5 year deal. I'd like him on this team until one of our younger goalies like Makarov or Ullmark is ready to challenge. For the record, Makarov is my bet. Extending Miller gives us time to find out.

#35 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

View Postjad1, on 19 November 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

If there's any opportunity to re-sign Miller, I expect Lafontaine to sign him.  He and Nolan don't seem like the type of guys to gamble with goaltending.

There is no gamble. Miller will be on the decline by the time this team is even trying to be relevant.

View Postthewookie1, on 19 November 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

If Moulson is willing take 5 at 6mil before the deadline I'd keep him.

I'm okay with overpaying to keep a guy like Moulson, but I wouldn't go over $5 mill.

#36 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

Unfortunately, I don't expect the bolded is as true as it should be.

Maybe I've just caught this board at the wrong time, but it seems I've read a lot of posts stating that Miller needs to go to give Jhonas his well deserved chance to be a starter and he's as good as Ryan anyhow.

He'll in all likely never be a quality starter, but he is a quality backup.  Except for possibly Hackett, there's no one else in the organization that does grade out as a quality backup today.  They won't get anything of value for him, so they might as well keep him until he decides to go back to Europe.

Now, if Miller re-signs, and Hackett looks ready for backup duty, then go for that 6th rounder or add him as filler in a bigger deal (kind of like how the Sabres got Hackett).

#37 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Ott is the only one I would look to keep. The price for Miller will be too high considering his age.  Moulson will likely cash in big this off-season.

#38 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,387 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I vote yes, yes and yes ... keep them all

If it is true that the tear it down to studs program is over, then the rebuild needs some studs.

Edited by wjag, 19 November 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#39 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Incorrect.

View PostTaro T, on 19 November 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I don't expect the bolded is as true as it should be.

Maybe I've just caught this board at the wrong time, but it seems I've read a lot of posts stating that Miller needs to go to give Jhonas his well deserved chance to be a starter and he's as good as Ryan anyhow.

He'll in all likely never be a quality starter, but he is a quality backup.  Except for possibly Hackett, there's no one else in the organization that does grade out as a quality backup today.  They won't get anything of value for him, so they might as well keep him until he decides to go back to Europe.

Now, if Miller re-signs, and Hackett looks ready for backup duty, then go for that 6th rounder or add him as filler in a bigger deal (kind of like how the Sabres got Hackett).

Beat me to it.  And I agree with the rest of this as well.

View Postwjag, on 19 November 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I vote yes, yes and yes ... keep them all

If it is true that the tear it down to studs program is over, then the rebuild needs some studs.

This.

#40 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,897 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

According to a host of ppl this summer Enroth is better than Ryan Miller!  However I think Enroth can be a solid high end backup but I think he lacks the consistency to be a #1 for more than a couple seasons.

View Postd4rksabre, on 19 November 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

Which is why I would be ecstatic if Patty and/or new GM could talk Miller into a 4-5 year deal. I'd like him on this team until one of our younger goalies like Makarov or Ullmark is ready to challenge. For the record, Makarov is my bet. Extending Miller gives us time to find out.
I will take the opposite. Ullmark will be the starting goaltender if he comes to NA.  He has major skills.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ryan Miller, Matt Moulson, Steve Ott