Pat LaFontaine : The Future Begins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Who does he hire as GM? Is this his first move?

What is his actual role? Head of hockey operations is vague.

Will he tell Terry to knock it off?

What does he think about having a bunch of guys in management now without girls names... Ted, Ted, Pat, Terry as opposed to Lindy, Darcy, Terry, Ted?

What do you love best about him being in charge?

#2 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'm wondering if Zadorov and Risto finally get sent down to work on there games like most other teams do. I would much rather have Risto and Zadorov dominate in a lower league and log a ton of ice in all situations.

#3 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 13 November 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'm wondering if Zadorov and Risto finally get sent down to work on there games like most other teams do. I would much rather have Risto and Zadorov dominate in a lower league and log a ton of ice in all situations.
God I hope this is the first thing that happens.  Zadorov to London and Risto to Rochester. Next year I am all for these guys coming up.

#4 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Neil Smith is a possibility I'm betting.

#5 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

A few of his picks are current GM's.

#6 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 13 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

A few of his picks are current GM's.
Current GM's or current Assistant GM's?

#7 bobs0108

bobs0108

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm excited for both these picks. I always thought Nolan was not given a fair shake and did a good job on the island. Woot woot can't be any worse!

#8 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if LaFontaine offered a contract extension to Ryan Miller.  Not sure why I think that, but just a hunch...

#9 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostPotato, on 13 November 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I wouldn't be shocked if LaFontaine offered a contract extension to Ryan Miller.  Not sure why I think that, but just a hunch...
i wouldn't be shocked if Miller excepted.

#10 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Within the week Patty will have talked to Ryan to find out where his head is head is.
Once he gets the GM in place, he will act accordingly.

#11 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 November 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

God I hope this is the first thing that happens.  Zadorov to London and Risto to Rochester. Next year I am all for these guys coming up.
Really? I don't think I've heard you say anything like this before.

#12 johnnychemo

johnnychemo

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 November 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

i wouldn't be shocked if Miller excepted.

I wouldn't take exception to his acceptance.

#13 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

We got CoHo (1st), Myers (1st) and Ennis (1st) from the 2008 draft; McNabb (3) and Foligno (4) from 2009; Pysyk in 2010 (1); Armia (1) and Catenacci (3) in 2011; Grigo (1), Girgs (1), and McCabe (2) in 2012; Risto (1) and Zadorov (1) plus 3 second rounders in 2013; have 2 more firsts and 3 more seconds coming up in the next draft (pending whether the Isles defer their pick to 2015), plus a first and 3 seconds coming up in 2015...

We have quite a few young prospects and picks.  I'd personally like to see some veterans mixed in with them to help all these prospects learn and develop.  Trading every single NHL-quality veteran for more picks at some point makes less-and-less sense to me.

I guess we will soon see if Pat's philosophy on the matter differs from that of Darcy...

#14 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 November 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

i wouldn't be shocked if Miller extended.

I'd be absolutely shocked and disappointed. Why in the world would Miller want to be here?

#15 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm just wondering if they will try to re-sign Miller and Moulson now with Lafontaine here. You can't cut every veteran off your team and expect the youngsters to learn.

#16 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 13 November 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Agreed. Send them back and bring them up next year. Avoid one year of a losing culture for them. Bring up Sulzer and McNabb.

#17 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostDStebb, on 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'd be absolutely shocked and disappointed. Why in the world would Miller want to be here?
I really don't care if we trade Miller but I just don't think there is much of a market for goalie's right now and rumors about Anaheim I just don't see ever happening. I just can't see this team getting rid of almost every veteran and expect the youngsters to get tutored from who?

View PostDStebb, on 13 November 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Agreed. Send them back and bring them up next year. Avoid one year of a losing culture for them. Bring up Sulzer and McNabb.
I would have had Sulzer and McNabb up from the start and had Risto and Zadorov back where they belong. I want them logging huge minutes and working on the small things in their games. Not trying to learn on an absolutely horrid team!

#18 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 13 November 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

I really don't care if we trade Miller but I just don't think there is much of a market for goalie's right now and rumors about Anaheim I just don't see ever happening. I just can't see this team getting rid of almost every veteran and expect the youngsters to get tutored from who?

Who needs to be tutored by Miller? Enroth? I think he's had just about enough of that. Get value while you can or watch him walk for nothing. There's a long time between now and the deadline. SOMEBODY will give a decent offer somewhere.

I do agree that this team needs some vets around to teach, but I don't think Miller needs to be one. I also don't think Ott needs to be one. I would like to keep Moulson around and deal out Ott and Miller. Then sign a few cheap vets to one year deals this offseason.

#19 beerme1

beerme1

First Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 13 November 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Neil Smith is a possibility I'm betting.

I'd be good with that.

#20 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostPotato, on 13 November 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postdudacek, on 13 November 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Within the week Patty will have talked to Ryan to find out where his head is head is.
Once he gets the GM in place, he will act accordingly.

Both of these sound right.

View Postqwksndmonster, on 13 November 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Really? I don't think I've heard you say anything like this before.

Very nice.

View PostPotato, on 13 November 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

We got CoHo (1st), Myers (1st) and Ennis (1st) from the 2008 draft; McNabb (3) and Foligno (4) from 2009; Pysyk in 2010 (1); Armia (1) and Catenacci (3) in 2011; Grigo (1), Girgs (1), and McCabe (2) in 2012; Risto (1) and Zadorov (1) plus 3 second rounders in 2013; have 2 more firsts and 3 more seconds coming up in the next draft (pending whether the Isles defer their pick to 2015), plus a first and 3 seconds coming up in 2015...

We have quite a few young prospects and picks.  I'd personally like to see some veterans mixed in with them to help all these prospects learn and develop.  Trading every single NHL-quality veteran for more picks at some point makes less-and-less sense to me.

Me too.

View PostDStebb, on 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Well, none of the teams in proximity to his wife needs a goalie.  There really aren't many options for him.  He also strikes me as the kind of guy who would like to play his entire career in one place, and who would stay if he believed in the organization -- which might be the case now.

#21 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 November 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Well, none of the teams in proximity to his wife needs a goalie.  There really aren't many options for him.  He also strikes me as the kind of guy who would like to play his entire career in one place, and who would stay if he believed in the organization -- which might be the case now.

Almost every destination is "closer" to his wife. I think winning is the next biggest factor which is what will come to the forefront. He'll want to go to a place where he's not getting abused with shots every game and can win. It's going to take a little while for this new group to actually show that they're competent. Longer than between now and the deadline. The time is up on Ryan Miller in Buffalo.

There IS a market. It will develop more as time goes on. It'll happen. It's a matter of when.

Edited by DStebb, 13 November 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#22 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDStebb, on 13 November 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Almost every destination is "closer" to his wife. I think winning is the next biggest factor which is what will come to the forefront. He'll want to go to a place where he's not getting abused with shots every game and can win. It's going to take a little while for this new group to actually show that they're competent. Longer than between now and the deadline. The time is up on Ryan Miller in Buffalo.

There IS a market. It will develop more as time goes on. It'll happen. It's a matter of when.

I think you're probably right that he will be traded, but I think the probability is lower now than it was yesterday.

And I agree that there will be teams who are interested -- but from the Sabres' perspective I don't think there will be any offers that are good enough to justify trading him -- i.e. I doubt anyone gives them a first-rounder, let alone what they got for Pommer or Vanek.

The other big factor is that the Sabres can, and likely will, pay him more than anyone else would.

#23 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 November 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think you're probably right that he will be traded, but I think the probability is lower now than it was yesterday.

And I agree that there will be teams who are interested -- but from the Sabres' perspective I don't think there will be any offers that are good enough to justify trading him -- i.e. I doubt anyone gives them a first-rounder, let alone what they got for Pommer or Vanek.

The other big factor is that the Sabres can, and likely will, pay him more than anyone else would.

I'm willing to bet a team like St. Louis would be willing to move a first rounder for him if Halak slows down/continues to be injury prone. Elliot has already fallen out of favor there. The Ducks probably know for a fact that he'd sign an extension there so if they move Hiller (which I won't be surprised if/when they do) then they could bring in Miller for a first. I don't think it makes sense for them with Fasth, Anderson, Hiller and Gibson already in the organization, but it won't go away.

Far worst players have been dealt for first rounders near the deadline as rentals.

Edited by DStebb, 13 November 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#24 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostDStebb, on 13 November 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'm willing to bet a team like St. Louis would be willing to move a first rounder for him if Halak slows down/continues to be injury prone. Elliot has already fallen out of favor there. The Ducks probably know for a fact that he'd sign an extension there so if they move Hiller (which I won't be surprised if/when they do) then they could bring in Miller for a first. I don't think it makes sense for them with Fasth, Anderson, Hiller and Gibson already in the organization, but it won't go away.

Far worst players have been dealt for first rounders near the deadline as rentals.

Gaustad was one of them -- but I can't remember the last time it happened with a goalie.

I think STL could do it, but only if Halak gets hurt between now and the deadline.

I don't think Anaheim is a realistic possibility.  Things are going too well there now, including in goal, for them to upset the applecart with a trade like this.  They're also a budget team and Miller will be expensive.

Overall I don't think any team with an established good #1 goalie is going to unload that goalie to make room for Miller.

#25 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 November 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Gaustad was one of them -- but I can't remember the last time it happened with a goalie.

I think STL could do it, but only if Halak gets hurt between now and the deadline.

I don't think Anaheim is a realistic possibility.  Things are going too well there now, including in goal, for them to upset the applecart with a trade like this.  They're also a budget team and Miller will be expensive.

Overall I don't think any team with an established good #1 goalie is going to unload that goalie to make room for Miller.

I don't think anybody will unload a goalie to make room for Miller. I think Anaheim will move Hiller because he's a UFA and probably wants a full-time starting job instead of a goalie-by-committee job.

I think the Isles are the perfect spot and Miller would agree to a trade there around the deadline, but he might not be willing to make that move right now. And the Isles might not believe it's worth their time if he might bolt.

Pretty much every situation you look at has some pretty severe "what ifs" paired with a potential move for Miller, but one or a few of them are almost 100% likely to open up. Colorado being one as Varlamov has his hearing December 2nd. Who knows what happens there. It's much closer to California, as well. I don't think Varlamov ends up with jail time, but if he does and it interferes with him playing in the NHL then I'm willing to bet Colorado immediately jumps on an available goalie somewhere. Giggy most likely doesn't keep up his current pace. Especially on a full-time basis.

Edited by DStebb, 13 November 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#26 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have no clue who he'll hire as GM or try to hire, but with the assets in the organization, this has to be a pretty attractive destination. Don't think he'll have a hard time getting a qualified person.

#27 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,822 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 November 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I wonder how ready St. Louis is to hand a job over to Jake Allen.  That obviously wouldn't stop them from picking up a #1 of Halak fails, but he has to be the near future for that organization.

#28 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 13 November 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I have no clue who he'll hire as GM or try to hire, but with the assets in the organization, this has to be a pretty attractive destination. Don't think he'll have a hard time getting a qualified person.

It kind of sounded in the press conference like Pat was saying he isn't qualified to be a GM now, but could learn to be one.  If it is his intention to be acting GM in the future, then I think he'll go with an older, more established guy like Dudley over a young up-and-comer like Botterill.

#29 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

It was interesting to me how much Authority LaFontaine spoke with.  He doesn't strike me as a yes man at all but being the age I am I barely remember him playing so I don't know a lot about him.  DR has been the only GM I have really known. Basically I like how LaFontaine named Nolan as interim and didn't just promote Sacco or something like that.  I also like that he recognizes his own short comings because I think that is very important.  You must know your weakness to understand it.

#30 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sabres Facebook keeps posting pictures Pat and it's making me a little emotional. There's just something so right about all this.

Posted Image

#31 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 November 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Sabres Facebook keeps posting pictures Pat and it's making me a little emotional. There's just something so right about all this.

Just don't start the GDT for Friday night too early.  We saw how that worked out with the opener -- it led directly to a 3-17 start.

You are on notice.

#32 WildCard

WildCard

I'm Not Your Buddy, Pal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Never a big fan of NHL analysis on ESPN, but FWIW here's an article on the firings.

A couple quotes that should be noted:
"LaFontaine indicated whoever takes over as GM will have a say in the long-term coaching issue, which makes a lot of sense. As for who will be the next GM, one has to imagine LaFontaine will reach out to Rick Dudley, another top hockey mind with long ties to the team, as well as highly regarded Claude Loiselle of the Maple Leafs and Tom Kurvers of the Lightning."

"But it's hard not to imagine that somewhere down the road, people will look back on this day as the day a corner was turned for the Buffalo Sabres."
:beer:

Edited by WildCard, 13 November 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#33 Josie914

Josie914

It's always d4rkest before the dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 November 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Just don't start the GDT for Friday night too early.  We saw how that worked out with the opener -- it led directly to a 3-17 start.

You are on notice.
I'll smack him with a frying pan if he tries, don't worry ;)

#34 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 November 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

You are on notice.

You're welcome!

#35 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,794 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Everyone is just gushing on here over PL.  My question is, what experience does he have running this type of operation?  I have no idea.  Someone please tell me he has been successful somewhere.

#36 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,822 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 November 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

Enroth's pose sure is awkward.

#37 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Postjohnnychemo, on 13 November 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

I wouldn't take exception to his acceptance.

and stop calling me Shirley or I will take exception to LGR4GM's acceptance.....

View Postwjag, on 13 November 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Everyone is just gushing on here over PL.  My question is, what experience does he have running this type of operation?  I have no idea.  Someone please tell me he has been successful somewhere.

please tell me you're serious - do you realize the value proposition in play here ?

#38 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

A brief history of the Sabres:

1970 - Draft Gilbert Perrault
1999 - No Goal
2007 - Black Sunday
2013 - Green Wednesday

I admit there is a bit of a gap in my understanding of defining sabres history. Green because it represents spring and new life

#39 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostBuffaninATL, on 13 November 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

and stop calling me Shirley or I will take exception to LGR4GM's acceptance.....

please tell me you're serious - do you realize the value proposition in play here ?
Shirley you must be joking...

but what does this have to do with me?

#40 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl  7m
The Montreal Canadiens decline comment on whether Sabres need or have asked for permission to speak with Rick Dudley about GM job.