GDT: Buffalo at New York Islanders 10-15-13 at 7:00 PM

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD Islanders

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
271 replies to this topic

#1 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

BUF (0-6-1) at NYI (2-2-1) – OCT 15 – 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TVWGR-AM

Sabres seek first win against Islanders

Game Preview: 10/15/13 at NY Islanders

Press Clips: 10/15/13 at NY Islanders

@DarrenDreger
Reminder: Patrick Kaleta in-person hearing today at 2pm in NYC.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 15 October 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#2 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

I have to say, and I'm sorry to say, last night was the first time EVER that I've left a game early. I left after the Pominville goal.

Sorry Sabres. You don't even entertain me anymore.

#3 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 15 October 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

I have to say, and I'm sorry to say, last night was the first time EVER that I've left a game early. I left after the Pominville goal.

Sorry Sabres. You don't even entertain me anymore.

Felt this way for years it seems.

I can't say exactly when it kicked in, but at this point the only thing about the Sabres that gets an emotional response out of me, is Darcy Regier.

I'm going to dig out my finest bottle the day that man gets fired, I guarantee you that much.

#4 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

The thing is, dangling that carrot of a better team in years to come is no longer enough.  I'd like to see at least SOME signs of life.  Maybe the team should adopt the 23rd Psalm as their new motto.... :rolleyes:

#5 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostSabre Dance, on 15 October 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

The thing is, dangling that carrot of a better team in years to come is no longer enough.  I'd like to see at least SOME signs of life.  Maybe the team should adopt the 23rd Psalm as their new motto.... :rolleyes:

This is where I'm at.  Show me something...  heck, show me anything.  That game last night was a regression.  Thing is, I didn't think there was room for regression, save goal tending...

God forbid when the GT leaves us.  That will be a whole new level of horrid.

#6 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Cheer up everyone. This to shall pass.

#7 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,998 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm starting to think Ott is either injured, or wants off this carnival ride as well. He has just blended in for the most part, other than a few nice instinctive passes every now and then. Girgensons is playing angry out there....at least McCormick tried to get something going. It just feels like the players know the season is already dead. The usual guys like Flynn, Weber, and such show spurts of energy....but I really expected more out of Ott.

#8 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

The only positives this year from my arm chair vantage point is the play of our goaltending, Girgensons who looks like he is for real and Pysk.  We are just so miserable in so many areas.  I'm already at the point where I don't know if I even want the team to win in fear of messing up a top 3 pick in the draft.  Pretty sad when it's only a couple of weeks into the season.  Here's to hoping we see signs of improvement, especially from our young guys.

Oh, has anyone else also been impressed by Flynn?  It's hard judging too closely from watching games on TV but he's been one of our better players.  Plus I believe he's a rookie?  Kid might have a future as a decent 3rd line winger.

#9 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Well this is the first time in MANY years where I didn't even think they were playing tonight - oh well, I have Sons of Anarchy anyway

#10 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostDerrico, on 15 October 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

has anyone else also been impressed by Flynn?  It's hard judging too closely from watching games on TV but he's been one of our better players.  Plus I believe he's a rookie?  Kid might have a future as a decent 3rd line winger.
Last night was the first game where I thought Porter and Flynn actually looked the part.  I'll take them on the third and 4th line.

#11 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am fully *meh* on Porter. He's a decent 4th liner, but not if you're a team in the top third of the league.

As for Flynn, I do think more and more that we've found our 3rd line RW of the future. So, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! for that. I guess.

#12 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,931 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Well, I usually go to the games when the Sabres play on LI, but I'm going to pass this one up.

#ThanksDarcy

#Greatwork

#13 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 15 October 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

I am fully *meh* on Porter. He's a decent 4th liner, but not if you're a team in the top third of the league.

As for Flynn, I do think more and more that we've found our 3rd line RW of the future. So, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! for that. I guess.
Porter skates hard and hits. Given that we are terrible, I will take him on my roster every day.

#14 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 15 October 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Cheer up everyone. This to shall pass.

Ah yes, the kidney stone philosophy.

GO BILLS!!!

#15 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Looks like Grigorenko will be a scratch tonight...

@BuffNewsVogl2m

Sabres' optional morning skate is only goalies Miller and Enroth, Mikhail Grigorenko and Jamie McBain. The skaters expected to be scratched.

#16 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostPeppy22, on 15 October 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

@BuffNewsVogl2m
Sabres' optional morning skate is only goalies Miller and Enroth, Mikhail Grigorenko and Jamie McBain. The skaters expected to be scratched.
OMG SERIOUSLY!!! Grigs was actually pretty good last night.  This franchise is stupid.  No one ###### brain amongst them.

#17 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostPeppy22, on 15 October 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

@BuffNewsVogl2m

Ok I am really starting to think this guy is a flaming ahole. Grigs did nothing last night to warrant being scratched again. Sit Ennis or Stafford for crying out loud.

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 15 October 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Ok I am really starting to think this guy is a flaming ahole. Grigs did nothing last night to warrant being scratched again. Sit Ennis or Stafford for crying out loud.

Oh don't be ridiculous, Ennis has been awesome as our 2C. Errrrr......

#19 Rico7

Rico7

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Any idea who is in net for NY?

#20 Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostRico7, on 15 October 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Any idea who is in net for NY?

@BuffNewsVogl1h

Evgeni Nabokov will start for the Islanders against the Sabres tonight.

#21 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

No point in watching another lackluster 3-1 loss.  I'm going to the Preds - Panthers game tonight instead.

I recommend those of you who will be watching drink heavily to help numb the pain!

#22 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 15 October 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

And he has also done nothing to warrant keeping him in the lineup except being a high draft pick last year for them.

#23 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 15 October 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

And he has also done nothing to warrant keeping him in the lineup except being a high draft pick last year for them.

When your team is terrible and this is supposed to be a year to develop young talent, I think "not deserving to be benched" is a perfectly valid reason to keep somebody in the lineup.

#24 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm going to take tonight off from the game so I can snake the septic tank and give it a good cleaning.

#25 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Tonight's Final Score 6-1 Posted Image

#26 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Like a moth drawn to a bug zapper, I'll be watching and wondering what that blue light is....

#27 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

View Postwjag, on 15 October 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Like a moth drawn to a bug zapper, I'll be watching and wondering what that blue light is....

:lol:

#28 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

When your team is terrible and this is supposed to be a year to develop young talent, I think "not deserving to be benched" is a perfectly valid reason to keep somebody in the lineup.
your right, cause throwing a young kid out to the wolves and just let him continue to look lost out there has never hurt a players development before.

#29 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

One of the great mysteries of life is how The Hoff can be a +2 on this mess of a team, while leading the team in ice time (by a huge margin) at almost 25 minutes per game.

#30 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostPotato, on 15 October 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

One of the great mysteries of life is how The Hoff can be a +2 on this mess of a team, while leading the team in ice time (by a huge margin) at almost 25 minutes per game.
Its not really a mystery, they have had great goaltending in each game and other teams haven't really been lighting up the team like teams have against the Rangers or Oilers. Teams are just waiting for Weber and Myers to take the ice to get their goals, and the team can't score any on their own to get them to a point where they can win a game.

#31 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 15 October 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

your right, cause throwing a young kid out to the wolves and just let him continue to look lost out there has never hurt a players development before.

He didn't look lost last night, which was the original point...

#32 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

This would be great if it was posted PRIOR to last nights game where Grigs had on of his best games as a pro.  I think that is why everyone I scratching their heads over this move.

#33 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

You didn't watch the game last night?

#34 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 15 October 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Its not really a mystery, they have had great goaltending in each game and other teams haven't really been lighting up the team like teams have against the Rangers or Oilers. Teams are just waiting for Weber and Myers to take the ice to get their goals, and the team can't score any on their own to get them to a point where they can win a game.

The stats say otherwise...teams are actually waiting for Risto and McBain to send out their top scoring lines.

#35 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Grigs was much more engaged in battling for the puck and showed more of the "urgency" in his game that RR has been harping on.  Scratching him when they could play him to provide continual in game feedback makes no sense to me.  Had you watched the contest last night, you might have a different opinion instead of speaking in general terms.

#36 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postinkman, on 15 October 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

This would be great if it was posted PRIOR to last nights game where Grigs had on of his best games as a pro.  I think that is why everyone I scratching their heads over this move.
That still doesn't mean he did anything that is deserving of him staying in the lineup.
In 6 games this season he has 0 goals and 0 assissts. Did he have his 1 hit this season in last nights game? Was it one of his 6 shots that he has been credited with? (Those stats have been taken from TSN.ca)

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 15 October 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

The stats say otherwise...teams are actually waiting for Risto and McBain to send out their top scoring lines.
I didn't say anything about top scoring lines, other lines do score goals for teams (I know, it can be hard to understand following this team that teams do expect goals from those other then the guys on their "top scoring line"). Also, my comment was a bit of a joke, seeing as how Myers and Weber have been on the ice for many goals

#37 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 15 October 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

That still doesn't mean he did anything that is deserving of him staying in the lineup.
In 6 games this season he has 0 goals and 0 assissts. Did he have his 1 hit this season in last nights game? Was it one of his 6 shots that he has been credited with? (Those stats have been taken from TSN.ca)

I didn't say anything about top scoring lines, other lines do score goals for teams (I know, it can be hard to understand following this team that teams do expect goals from those other then the guys on their "top scoring line"). Also, my comment was a bit of a joke, seeing as how Myers and Weber have been on the ice for many goals
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
16 members of the Buffalo Sabres including Mikhail Grigorenko have 0 points this season. The point is benching a kid for a washed up vet or a journey-man 3rd /4th liner is stupid.

#38 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 15 October 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Grigs was much more engaged in battling for the puck and showed more of the "urgency" in his game that RR has been harping on.  Scratching him when they could play him to provide continual in game feedback makes no sense to me.  Had you watched the contest last night, you might have a different opinion instead of speaking in general terms.
Good for him, he has still yet to produce, and the coaching staff felt that even after one of his "Best games as a pro" (quoted from someone else above) that it still wasn't impressive enough to keep him in the lineup tonight. I didn't watch the entire game last night but I saw parts

#39 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

I am guess that John Scott is going in again the Isles and that is why Grigs is benched.

#40 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 15 October 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
16 members of the Buffalo Sabres including Mikhail Grigorenko have 0 points this season. The point is benching a kid for a washed up vet or a journey-man 3rd /4th liner is stupid.
So its better for a players development to just throw them out there even when the coaches see him struggling and not producing. I forgot, this works all the time and never screws up a kids development as a player. I also forgot that the Sabres were a Professional hockey team who should be doing whatever they can to win hockey games and not a development camp or a minor league franchise where players should be sent to where they can develop their skills.