GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 10-10-13 at 7:00 PM

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD Blue Jackets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
488 replies to this topic

#1 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

CBJ (1-1-0) at BUF (0-3-1) – THU OCT 10 – 7:00PM ET – MSG-BWGR-AM

Sabres PR Game Preview:Game Preview: 10/10/13 vs Columbus

NHL.com Game Preview:  http://www.nhl.com/g...avid=sb:preview

10/9 - Rolston Presser: http://video.nhl.com...nter/?id=455098

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 10 October 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#2 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,427 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

First person who says "Sabres should win" is a rotten egg. I was holding that one until the Islanders game, but I couldn't hold it anymore.

#3 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 10 October 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

First person who says "Sabres should win" is a rotten egg. I was holding that one until the Islanders game, but I couldn't hold it anymore.
What if I say "must win"?

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,427 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

View Postnucci, on 10 October 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

What if I say "must win"?

That's fine, because it is!

#5 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Then... MUST WIN!

In all seriousness the CBJ have made some moves in recent years and have young promising forwards with some good gt.  They should compete for a playoff spot and I would say are 2 levels above the Sabres.  I expect a loss.

#6 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm going to be a little POed if Grigorenko is in the press box.  They've already begun the process of messing up his development last year by having him start in Buffalo.  Everyone and their grandmother knows this is a rebuilding year and it's not a playoffs or bust situation.  Give the kid a bunch of minutes in the NHL and have him learn through his mistakes.  This 8 minutes a game and now in the pressbox is just garbage.  We need him to be playing.

#7 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

#Sabres fans before the season: "We gotta be patient."
Sabres fans 4 games into the season: "Oh crap there is no hope..."

time to relax a little

#8 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostDerrico, on 10 October 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I'm going to be a little POed if Grigorenko is in the press box.  They've already begun the process of messing up his development last year by having him start in Buffalo.  Everyone and their grandmother knows this is a rebuilding year and it's not a playoffs or bust situation.  Give the kid a bunch of minutes in the NHL and have him learn through his mistakes.  This 8 minutes a game and now in the pressbox is just garbage.  We need him to be playing.
Yup.  I hated it when Ruff did it and I hate when Rolston does it and I know somewhere inside that Darcy has had a hand in this fiasco.

#9 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Remember when the crowd during a big, regular season game was like that of St. Louis last night? I seriously wonder if that will ever happen again because it has been sooo depressing going to the arena for too many years now.....

#10 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 10 October 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

I don't even think we're as good as the Islanders. The web-site Matthew Coller writes for did predictions using advanced stats, and had Sabres listed as the 2nd worst team in hockey. The only team behind was... Minnesota Wild. Interestingly, Minnesota hasn't won a game yet either to this point.

#11 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,607 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 10 October 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Yup.  I hated it when Ruff did it and I hate when Rolston does it and I know somewhere inside that Darcy has had a hand in this fiasco.
Yeah he drafted him

View PostVanek-Man, on 10 October 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I don't even think we're as good as the Islanders. The web-site Matthew Coller writes for did predictions using advanced stats, and had Sabres listed as the 2nd worst team in hockey. The only team behind was... Minnesota Wild. Interestingly, Minnesota hasn't won a game yet either to this point.
Wow so much for the Parise and Suter show.  I'm guessing that's not how they envisioned things when they got those two big fish.  Looking at their roster, man are they easy to play against.  Parise, Heatley, Pominville, Koivu...blech.

#12 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

There something very simple he can do that will make sure he stays on the ice, and that is show some promise and some of what they saw in him that makes people believe he will be anything more (at best) then just an average player in the NHL. If he can't do that, then he shouldn't be out there.

#13 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm fine with benching Grigs in an effort to make him show how p.o'd he is and earn his ice. Thats the way it should work across the board. Other teams do it and many of them find success. If this kid goes wee wee wee all the way home I don't want him on this team anyways.

GO SABRES !

#14 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 10 October 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'm fine with benching Grigs in an effort to make him show how p.o'd he is and earn his ice. Thats the way it should work across the board. Other teams do it and many of them find success. If this kid goes wee wee wee all the way home I don't want him on this team anyways.

GO SABRES !

Yes, and that worked out last year.

Some guys take a benching as motivation and play much better, other players are motivated in different ways.  We already tried the benching and I'm not sure that is the right approach with a young player.  I've watched all of the games too and I can confidently say he's played better than Drew Stafford (this isn't just a knock on the guy because he's normally the target of critisim).  What gives Drew more right to be out there after several disappointing seasons?  Atleast there is hope for Grigorenko.

Edited by Derrico, 10 October 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#15 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

I am not sure benching him solves any problem.  I think you keep putting him out there and even during practice making him do wind sprints.  The guy has mad skills, but seems to get confused on what to do.  He needs to stop planning and just go full bore trying to use those skills in a phone booth.  He seems to have some trouble with it, but the only way to get better at it is to get in there and muck til you figure out how to position yourself, find what works, how to used your feet, your shoulders and your stick... the later not a problem for him, but I notice he gets his legs and shoulders out of position so that even when he wins the puck, it gets away from him cause guys at the NHL level don't let up once he wins the puck.

Again, the only way for him to figure it out is to keep sending him in there.  Make him the forechecker... but don't sit him and like others have said, this is a young team so what is there to lose.

P.S. Those Islander comments are weird.  The Islanders are going to be one of the best teams this year.  Their young guys have figured it out after a few years of mucking.

#16 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Game night!  :beer:

Grigs debate is interesting.  I'd add Vanek/Miller sentiment into it too.  So if he sucks and DR/RR chooses "be patient and let him play", then more losses, then Vanek "f this".  Or, if he sucks and RR chooses "bench him for Larsson/Porter/etc" then better chance to win, then (if win) Vanek "ok cool, pay me".  

And what's he like in the room?  Of course the pros know blue chips get different treatment, but the whole leash-length piece should be considered too. "d***head gets tons of ice, but i get yanked for a bad shift!".

#17 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Going to be flipping back and forth between the RIT v Colgate hockey game and this one.  I'm holding out hope that we can surprise and pull out a W...

Lots of hockey tonight and the beer fridge is loaded up! :flirt:

#18 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

You will be still saying that six years from now...lol

#19 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

As expected, #30 will be in goal tonight:
@BuffaloSabres
Miller first goalie off the ice at morning skate. #Sabres #GameDay

#20 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Grigs, Scott, and Sulzer are the scratches tonight.

#21 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 10 October 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

I am not sure benching him solves any problem.  I think you keep putting him out there and even during practice making him do wind sprints.  The guy has mad skills, but seems to get confused on what to do.  He needs to stop planning and just go full bore trying to use those skills in a phone booth.  He seems to have some trouble with it, but the only way to get better at it is to get in there and muck til you figure out how to position yourself, find what works, how to used your feet, your shoulders and your stick... the later not a problem for him, but I notice he gets his legs and shoulders out of position so that even when he wins the puck, it gets away from him cause guys at the NHL level don't let up once he wins the puck.

Again, the only way for him to figure it out is to keep sending him in there.  Make him the forechecker... but don't sit him and like others have said, this is a young team so what is there to lose.

P.S. Those Islander comments are weird.  The Islanders are going to be one of the best teams this year.  Their young guys have figured it out after a few years of mucking.
But your looking at the benching as punishment (along with windsprints, etc.)
Sometimes being sent to the pressbox can help a young kid because it will give them a different view of the game and might help them understand a little more what the coaches want and what he should be doing. Being up in the box can give him a birds eye view of the game and he might get a better idea whats going on from up there

#22 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,607 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostDerrico, on 10 October 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

I've watched all of the games too and I can confidently say he's played better than Drew Stafford (this isn't just a knock on the guy because he's normally the target of critisim).  What gives Drew more right to be out there after several disappointing seasons?  Atleast there is hope for Grigorenko.
I'm all for playing Grigorenko but at the very most he's played on a par with stafford.  Criticize 21 all you want but he's not the complete liability an absence of all hockey accumen that Grigs is.

#23 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 10 October 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

But your looking at the benching as punishment (along with windsprints, etc.)
Sometimes being sent to the pressbox can help a young kid because it will give them a different view of the game and might help them understand a little more what the coaches want and what he should be doing. Being up in the box can give him a birds eye view of the game and he might get a better idea whats going on from up there

As long as there is a coach up there in his ear the whole time.  Anyone know if the Sabres do that?

View Postinkman, on 10 October 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'm all for playing Grigorenko but at the very most he's played on a par with stafford.  Criticize 21 all you want but he's not the complete liability an absence of all hockey accumen that Grigs is.
You are probably right, but the problem is given his salary experience, his liabilities should not be a result of a lack of hustle and agression at this point, though it is.  He had one year showing us what he is capable of and I just wish he would still work that hard.  I still wonder if he has a shoulder/upper body injury he is nursing, the last couple of games he has been more timid in the corners than normal, even for Stafford.

#24 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

I think Miller is going to be on fire tonight, and I think the Sabres get a few bounces and win this one.

3-1

#25 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I think a lot of people on here look at Stafford and see what he should be and look at Grigorenko and see what they want him to be.
Before you judge Rolston look too harshly, look at each and see what they are.

Stafford is a proven 20-goal man with good NHL size and skill, decent hockey sense and not much grit, who has forgotten how to score.
Grigorenko is a talented, gangly 19-year-old who struggles to keep up at the NHL level.

#26 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View Postdudacek, on 10 October 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I think a lot of people on here look at Stafford and see what he should be and look at Grigorenko and see what they want him to be.
Before you judge Rolston look too harshly, look at each and see what they are.

Stafford is a proven 20-goal man with good NHL size and skill, decent hockey sense and not much grit, who has forgotten how to score.
Grigorenko is a talented, gangly 19-year-old who struggles to keep up at the NHL level.

What is Ron Rolston?

#27 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 10 October 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

What is Ron Rolston?

An in-over-his-head wallpaper salesman?

(Preemptive defense: calm down, it's a joke--yes, it's way too early to say much about his capabilities as a coach)

#28 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 10 October 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

What is Ron Rolston?

The head coach of the worst team in hockey. Our projected future #1 center can't crack the lineup of the worst team in the NHL. this organization is the biggest joke in all of sports.

Hockey Hell is much more appropriate.

#29 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 October 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

(Preemptive defense: calm down, it's a joke--yes, it's way too early to say much about his capabilities as a coach)

Oh  no it's not...  I've made up my mind.  :flirt:

Edited by wjag, 10 October 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#30 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 October 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

My point is that he's as big of a ? as some of the young players on the roster.

#31 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

I want to see less lazy 1-4 trap and more high-effort, just-crazy-enough-to-work 3-2 forechecking.  Pound these chumps in their own end and make them cough up the puck.  Rely on Miller to stand on his head.

#32 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 10 October 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

My point is that he's as big of a ? as some of the young players on the roster.

And it's a good point. So far I'm guardedly impressed, but it will be interesting to see how he handles the brush fires sure to break out during what is going to be a very trying season.

Edited by dudacek, 10 October 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#33 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

We will lose again. 2:1 Lucky goal by Larsson, Miller with 42 saves, nevertheless two save short to win it.

Rolston gets fired in 5 games without win.

#34 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 October 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I want to see less lazy 1-4 trap and more high-effort, just-crazy-enough-to-work 3-2 forechecking.  Pound these chumps in their own end and make them cough up the puck.  Rely on Miller to stand on his head.

I'm pretty much at the point, where in my sick, twisted mind I'm having visions of Darcy kicking in the door to the locker room during the 1st intermission, blue in the face, screaming if Rolston has completely lost it, playing that kind of high-paced, balls-to-the-walls game.

View PostLaLaLaFontaine, on 10 October 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

We will lose again. 2:1 Lucky goal by Larsson, Miller with 42 saves, nevertheless two save short to win it.

Rolston gets fired in 5 games without win.

I would prefer Darcy gone, but I suppose Rolston gone wouldn't bother me either.

Simply too much of the traditionel mediocre, tread-on-nobody's-toes, Darcy mold.

#35 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 10 October 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Grigs, Scott, and Sulzer are the scratches tonight.
So Larsson and McCormick in?  

Bright side, Foligno x 2 on the ice tonight.  Entertainment.

#36 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostKristian, on 10 October 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'm pretty much at the point, where in my sick, twisted mind I'm having visions of Darcy kicking in the door to the locker room during the 1st intermission, blue in the face, screaming if Rolston has completely lost it, playing that kind of high-paced, balls-to-the-walls game.

"Scouts?"

#37 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

We're doomed... DOOMED, I TELL YOU!!!    :death:

Sam Reinhart, come on down!

#38 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostPotato, on 10 October 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

We're doomed... DOOMED, I TELL YOU!!! :death:

Sam Reinhart, come on down!

I don't know if I'd call the best case scenario "doomed" ;)

#39 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 October 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I don't know if I'd call the best case scenario "doomed" ;)

Don't worry...we'd turn him into Chad Rinehart in a hurry......

#40 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,863 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 October 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

"Scouts?"

Posted Image