Photo

Is there any chance that trades will be made before deadline?

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,552 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

Give the agenda a rest. It will happen.

When will then be now?

#162 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

Give the agenda a rest. It will happen.

What agenda?

When will then be now?

Soon.

#163 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

I'm going to have to disagree. Miller is exactly what Tallon is looking for. A proven starter with 3-4 years still in the tank to give them enough time to develop a future starter. Thomas is too old and likely won't make it through the year and Markstrom isn't panning out. Tallon has already said that he's willing to deal, I don't think missing the playoffs this year is acceptable to him. They would already have 5-6 more points with a proven goaltender.

Whether Florida is on the 'list' is just speculation. But the fact that Miller is going to be a UFA might be a concern to Tallon however. I doubt Miller will be able to make it to the west coast to be with his wife. If he wants out of BFLO, he may be forced to be less picky.

I guess I do agree to a point, since you based it on the fact he might just be a rental player.

Florida isn't getting anywhere near the playoffs. Florida is the only team competing with us for worst in the league. Philly and NY will start figuring it out soon. Miller isn't going to go from horrible to bad and be happy about it.

Side note:

Ott is by far this team's most attractive trade chip right now. All 29 teams would want him. The young ones as a lead by example guy and any team thinking they'll compete would want a guy like that.

I don't care if Ott would be willing to sign an extension, I want him traded. Nothing against him as a player or person, I just think there will be far too much offered for a guy like him.

Edited by DStebb, 29 October 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#164 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Florida isn't getting anywhere near the playoffs. Florida is the only team competing with us for worst in the league. Philly and NY will start figuring it out soon. Miller isn't going to go from horrible to bad and be happy about it.

Side note:

Ott is by far this team's most attractive trade chip right now. All 29 teams would want him. The young ones as a lead by example guy and any team thinking they'll compete would want a guy like that.

I don't care if Ott would be willing to sign an extension, I want him traded. Nothing against him as a player or person, I just think there will be far too much offered for a guy like him.

That really is completely besides the point. But OK.

#165 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

That really is completely besides the point. But OK.

Which part is besides the point? If you're talking about the Ott part, it had nothing to do with the original part. Can't separate two consecutive posts so it just shows up in the same post, but they're unrelated.

#166 ALF

ALF

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

Teams with injured goal tenders http://icemencometh...._ranks/14880485

#167 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

I'm starting to think the Islanders are the most logical destination for Miller. They need a goalie, they have a good amount of young talent and they're moving to NYC either next year or the following year. None of the CA teams -- or for that matter any team that is remotely close to CA -- needs a goalie. And NYC is the 2nd-best location for his wife after LA.

#168 dudacek

dudacek

Bear poker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I've been saying Islanders, Oilers and Flyers for months.
Only thing that's really changed is the Flyers inability to score has overshadowed their hole in goal.
Islanders and Oilers need a goalie more than ever.

#169 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm starting to think the Islanders are the most logical destination for Miller. They need a goalie, they have a good amount of young talent and they're moving to NYC either next year or the following year. None of the CA teams -- or for that matter any team that is remotely close to CA -- needs a goalie. And NYC is the 2nd-best location for his wife after LA.

I've been saying Islanders, Oilers and Flyers for months. Only thing that's really changed is the Flyers inability to score has overshadowed their hole in goal. Islanders and Oilers need a goalie more than ever.

Been saying the Islanders are a logical destination since they bowed out in the Playoffs to the Pens. With Miller in place of Nabokov in net, the Isles advance and who knows how far they go beyond that.

#170 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,750 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I've been saying Islanders, Oilers and Flyers for months.
Only thing that's really changed is the Flyers inability to score has overshadowed their hole in goal.
Islanders and Oilers need a goalie more than ever.

I agree that Philly and Edmonton need a goalie (and for that matter I still think Pittsburgh would be crazy not to take a shot at Miller unless Vokie comes back 100% well before the deadline). I just think the Islanders are best situated to get Miller to agree to an extension, which would greatly increase what the Sabres would get back in a trade.

#171 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

There was a rumor about St. Louis possibly being interested in Miller because they want to make a run at the Cup this year and he could be an upgrade over Halak or Elliott.

Otherwise teams that have injured starters (Carolina, Nashville, Minneosota, etc) aren't going to make a run at him unless their starter is out long term. No way they give up assetts to rent Miller while their starter is down unless they feel he is an upgrade over their starter when hes healthy, and can include that starter in a deal.

The Islanders need an upgrade over Nabokov, but I feel that if he was an option for them, they would have made the deal now with the vanek trade, can't see them making another huge deal again with the same team later on. Also how many draft picks can the Islanders give up? They would have to be willing to make a deal for a bunch of prospects or some young, good talent.

Edmonton needs an upgrade in net too, but it would all depend on if they are on his list, and if he would be willing to waive the clause if he was asked to. Edmonton has picks and prospects they can move for him, they could even ask for someone like Myers, or an upgrade on defence too.

Philly is a tough one because they want Mason to be the #1 there, but if they feel the coaching change and their existing talent is enough with an immediate upgrade in net, they could be an option. They have a couple of established young players they could give up, but I'm not sure if they have many picks to give up.

I still think with a competent GM this team could turn things around much quicker then going the planned route of building through the next few drafts 1st and 2nd round picks. If they can convince Miller to sign an extension then Dangle Enroth to teams looking to take a chance on a potential #1 goalie, along with re-signing Ott, and make a couple moves dealing some of the picks they have acquired and maybe one of the current young kids too, along with Myers, they could get some talent that can take them back to the playoffs much sooner and have much better odds then playing the draft lotto hoping that years of misery will be enough to get them the #1 overall picks for a few seasons.

#172 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

There was a rumor about St. Louis possibly being interested in Miller because they want to make a run at the Cup this year and he could be an upgrade over Halak or Elliott.

Otherwise teams that have injured starters (Carolina, Nashville, Minneosota, etc) aren't going to make a run at him unless their starter is out long term. No way they give up assetts to rent Miller while their starter is down unless they feel he is an upgrade over their starter when hes healthy, and can include that starter in a deal.

The Islanders need an upgrade over Nabokov, but I feel that if he was an option for them, they would have made the deal now with the vanek trade, can't see them making another huge deal again with the same team later on. Also how many draft picks can the Islanders give up? They would have to be willing to make a deal for a bunch of prospects or some young, good talent.

Edmonton needs an upgrade in net too, but it would all depend on if they are on his list, and if he would be willing to waive the clause if he was asked to. Edmonton has picks and prospects they can move for him, they could even ask for someone like Myers, or an upgrade on defence too.

Philly is a tough one because they want Mason to be the #1 there, but if they feel the coaching change and their existing talent is enough with an immediate upgrade in net, they could be an option. They have a couple of established young players they could give up, but I'm not sure if they have many picks to give up.

I still think with a competent GM this team could turn things around much quicker then going the planned route of building through the next few drafts 1st and 2nd round picks. If they can convince Miller to sign an extension then Dangle Enroth to teams looking to take a chance on a potential #1 goalie, along with re-signing Ott, and make a couple moves dealing some of the picks they have acquired and maybe one of the current young kids too, along with Myers, they could get some talent that can take them back to the playoffs much sooner and have much better odds then playing the draft lotto hoping that years of misery will be enough to get them the #1 overall picks for a few seasons.

Not anymore. St. Louis doesn't have the cap or need. Halak is better than Miller right now.

Philly, NYI, Phoenix, Dallas and Washington are the only somewhat logical spots that I can think of. But Phoenix can be written off because of Mike Smith's big deal there.

Edited by DStebb, 29 October 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#173 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

OK...now that I know my source is valid after the reports of the Sabres talking to the Leafs a few days ago about Vanek....I give you this...

LA Kings.

Looks like talking going on. I'm assuming Ehrhoff and Ott are the main names. I guess Myers and Miller could get bandied about if something big gets cooking. Nothing imminent like the Vanek deal, but I am confident there are more than lukewarm talks going on with LA.

There is also a crazy bit of info that looks to be talked about by the Sabres. I am not going to say because either it is a smokescreen, or wishful thinking on Pegula's part...because I can't see Darcy wanting to do this....although his recent remarks about using these picks as currency to acquire a player makes it a possible adventure. If an LA deal goes down in the next few weeks, then I will chat, because I can't see this thing happening anytime soon.

#174 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

I agree with this. There is a meme on this board to the effect that DR for some reason sat around on the couch all summer instead of trading Vanek and Miller when their value was at its highest. I think that meme is nonsense.

Like I said prices go up then down then back up. We are on the post summer upswing now and that will continue until the deadline. Miller's value is yet to be determined and I agree the idea he is worth less now than in July is actually false.

OK...now that I know my source is valid after the reports of the Sabres talking to the Leafs a few days ago about Vanek....I give you this...

LA Kings.

Looks like talking going on. I'm assuming Ehrhoff and Ott are the main names. I guess Myers and Miller could get bandied about if something big gets cooking. Nothing imminent like the Vanek deal, but I am confident there are more than lukewarm talks going on with LA.

There is also a crazy bit of info that looks to be talked about by the Sabres. I am not going to say because either it is a smokescreen, or wishful thinking on Pegula's part...because I can't see Darcy wanting to do this....although his recent remarks about using these picks as currency to acquire a player makes it a possible adventure. If an LA deal goes down in the next few weeks, then I will chat, because I can't see this thing happening anytime soon.

Vague but interesting. LA has made some big trades before so it is a very hard team to gage. That being said I would guess Ott interests them and Ehrhoff would definitely fit there. I'd guess that you'd be getting back a player and a prospect or player and pick. LA is pretty close to the cap and if it were Ehrhoff there is no way we retain salary for another 8years is it?

#175 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Like I said prices go up then down then back up. We are on the post summer upswing now and that will continue until the deadline. Miller's value is yet to be determined and I agree the idea he is worth less now than in July is actually false.

Vague but interesting. LA has made some big trades before so it is a very hard team to gage. That being said I would guess Ott interests them and Ehrhoff would definitely fit there. I'd guess that you'd be getting back a player and a prospect or player and pick. LA is pretty close to the cap and if it were Ehrhoff there is no way we retain salary for another 8years is it?

Yeah, sorry...vague is all I have. The reason I had a feeling Vanek was on the move the other day was because of Lupul believe it or not. It started with him and I put together the only thing that made sense was that Vanek was ready to go. People made good points that Lupul has a limited NTC, so that right there may have nixed the doings.

With LA...all I have is that it is LA. We know the Sabres have sniffed on Stoll before. A trade that could make sense is Ehrhoff and Ott for Voynov the 23yo Dman and Stoll, with a pick or two involved. That's less than a $2 million increase for LA. Or maybe just 1 of those guys...who knows....Voynov looks like a guy in Darcy's wheelhouse though.

#176 dudacek

dudacek

Bear poker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Darcy's still on a party line phone that he shares with your cleaning lady?
Your cousin Guido is a trash collector and Darcy accidentally threw out his journal?
You figured out the SwingingSingles.com poster called "The Longest Sword" is actually Darcy and you've been tracking his rendezvous?

Seriously, man, after that great Twitter find you had, you gotta share.

#177 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Darcy's still on a party line phone that he shares with your cleaning lady?
Your cousin Guido is a trash collector and Darcy accidentally threw out his journal?
You figured out the SwingingSingles.com poster called "The Longest Sword" is actually Darcy and you've been tracking his rendezvous?

Seriously, man, after that great Twitter find you had, you gotta share.

Holy Mole-E???

In all honesty, it's 85% a new crew, so if an LA deal goes down it can easily be separate....although 97% of the scouting staff is the same........

If a big Kings trade happens, I will say who at least the Sabres WERE looking at in October, that even I said, NFW......