Is there any chance that trades will be made before deadline?

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 freester

freester

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

This team is tough to watch.  Could Vanek, Miller, Myers, Stafford, Grigorenko etc.  get moved in the near future.  I need something to look forward to.  I'm worried we will turn into Edmonton with less talent for the next 4 years.  Any chance of a coaching or GM change?  I'm desperate for something hopeful.

Edited by freester, 07 October 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#2 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postfreester, on 07 October 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

This team is tough to watch.  Could Vanek, Miller, Myers, Stafford, Grigorenko etc.  get moved in the near future.  I need something to look forward to.  I'm worried we will turn into Edmonton with less talent for the next 4 years.  Any chance of a coaching or GM change?  I'm desperate for something hopeful.
Looking at the past for the answer, NO to the last part. As for the first part, I don't see any of those players getting traded in the near future, the market hasn't been set yet to move anyone :rolleyes:

#3 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have to believe they'll ride the season out with Rolston and Regier. If the team is picking in the top 10 again, there should be a house cleaning. Rolston, Regier, Black, Devine. All of them gone. I love the idea that ESPN had for us to follow the Boston model. Bring LaFontaine (like Cam Neely) in to be president of the team and get a GM who knows the players more.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen.

Edited by DStebb, 07 October 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#4 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

I doubt they'd move Myers (who would take that contract anyway?), or Grigorenko, and I doubt anyone would take Stafford, even for free.

I have to believe they're shopping Vanek and Miller, since everything else would make no sense at all, which is probably why they're not shopping either.

#5 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostDStebb, on 07 October 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I have to believe they'll ride the season out with Rolston and Regier. If the team is picking in the top 10 again, there should be a house cleaning. Rolston, Regier, Black, Devine. All of them gone. I love the idea that ESPN had for us to follow the Boston model. Bring LaFontaine (like Cam Neely) in to be president of the team and get a GM who knows the players more.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen.
I can see Regier being forced out if they continue losing like they have, Black/TPegs hands will be tied and forced to let him go

Rolston won't be fired until a new GM is in place and they can make their own move, I doubt they fire him with Regier still being around also since they can't keep blaming the coach for the mess. IF they did fire Rolston and Regier was still here, the job would end up going to Sacco, and could be the reason why they brought him here as an assisstant, if things look bad for Rolston, let him go and you have an experienced coach ready to take over.

Black won't be fired, and its hard to say he is doing a bad job. Aside from not being the guy to step in and say Regier needs to be canned, he isn't doing a bad job running the franchise.......

#6 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 07 October 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

I can see Regier being forced out if they continue losing like they have, Black/TPegs hands will be tied and forced to let him go

Rolston won't be fired until a new GM is in place and they can make their own move, I doubt they fire him with Regier still being around also since they can't keep blaming the coach for the mess. IF they did fire Rolston and Regier was still here, the job would end up going to Sacco, and could be the reason why they brought him here as an assisstant, if things look bad for Rolston, let him go and you have an experienced coach ready to take over.

Black won't be fired, and its hard to say he is doing a bad job. Aside from not being the guy to step in and say Regier needs to be canned, he isn't doing a bad job running the franchise.......

I think Black is avoiding criticism for no reason. Unfortunately, Pegula will be married to him for a while since he helped Pegula get the team.

I would also assume that if Rolston and Regier survived a terrible season then they would both be canned at the same time.

Edited by DStebb, 07 October 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

I can see edmonton taking stafford , myers or miller from us.  
Vanek will get traded to a contender for sure.  
I'm not writing Grigorenko off like most are doing already, give the kid a break.

#8 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

I don't see any trades until after the new year at the earliest.

As for comments on a house cleaning, please, that's not going to happen. Ownership on down to the fan base is fully aware the team is right smack dab in the middle of a full on rebuild. The next 2 drafts should bring in top end talent (Regier speaks of all star talent lacking, 2 top 3 picks brings in a bit).

#9 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

I think one of two things has to happen by the start of the new year. With us most likely having the worst record in the league by then either Vanek/Miller are gone or DR is gone. Rebuild or no rebuild I can't see them standing pat that long. The fan base will be in an uproar and pressure will be on them to do something.

Have 7-9k in the arena by then and you will get things to happen. You want change - stop going to the games and buying the merchandise - NOW!!! Show them that this is unacceptable. Rebuild or no damn rebuild.

#10 beerme1

beerme1

First Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 09 October 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

Have 7-9k in the arena by then and you will get things to happen. You want change - stop going to the games and buying the merchandise - NOW!!! Show them that this is unacceptable. Rebuild or no damn rebuild.

Agreed except my season ticket invoice is already paid.

#11 papazoid

papazoid

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Postfreester, on 07 October 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

after miller and vanek are moved you will have ZERO talent.

#12 freester

freester

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Unfortunately I think that Myers, Stafford,and Leino have negative value.  They are unmovable. Grigorenko belongs in the AHL but is too young.  Darcy and Rolston aren't going anywhere.  Vanek and Miller won't get moved till the trade deadline and they may not be able to move Miller at all.

#13 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

View Postfreester, on 09 October 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Unfortunately I think that Myers, Stafford,and Leino have negative value.  They are unmovable. Grigorenko belongs in the AHL but is too young.  Darcy and Rolston aren't going anywhere.  Vanek and Miller won't get moved till the trade deadline and they may not be able to move Miller at all.

Leino has negative value
Stafford has neutral value
Myers is still worth a good deal, he's still very young and has time to find his game again. I'd bet that if you were to poll the rest of the league that at least 8 teams would say they'd be interested in acquiring Myers. His contract is actually great if he turns into a #1 D-man seeing as they make about 7 mil now not to mention most of Myers' contract is paid for already.

Miller could be dealt at any moment seeing as his worth won't change based on the deadline but rather how other goalies are doing in comparison.
While I'd like to lock Vanek up long term, he'll be worth more on deadline day
Ott if we are unable to sign him would likely be worth a 1st or 2nd rounder to some teams. Hell, we may be able to get him to resign with us after the season due to Weber.
Grigs...... seriously....... he's 19. Not every player is immediately amazing. Maybe in 4 to 5 years I'd start think about it but after about 20 games is ridiculous.  

I wouldn't mind seeing Myers and Miller to Edm for Eberle and a pick. (If their goaltending situation becomes desperate they may actually be willing to overpay for a solid goalie.)
If no contract extension for Vanek I'd hunt for multiple picks and prospects.

On a more short term idea, I'd see if I could deal Adam and McNabb for a younger scoring forward. ( I don't mean a great one, but someone with some potential who's a sniper.)

#14 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Every team could have had Luke Adam for free and declined his services.  Now they are going to trade for him?  You continually put him in your proposed trade ideas.  Why?

#15 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Miller and Myers to the Oilers for Eberle.

#16 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,099 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

View Postinkman, on 09 October 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Every team could have had Luke Adam for free and declined his services.  Now they are going to trade for him?  You continually put him in your proposed trade ideas.  Why?

You can't fix stupid.

#17 freester

freester

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postdudacek, on 09 October 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

That won't happen due to the huge disparity in contracts going to the oilers.  We would have to take on a salary dump and also pay half of Millers contract

#18 beerme1

beerme1

First Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Didn't we think that last year too?

#19 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

I just want Jaden Schwartz from St. Louis. Is there anyway we can make that happen? Vanek (we'll pay 50% of his salary) for Schwartz and a 3rd.

View Postfreester, on 09 October 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

That won't happen due to the huge disparity in contracts going to the oilers.  We would have to take on a salary dump and also pay half of Millers contract

And give a lot more because the Oilers wouldn't even consider that trade in the first place.

View Postbeerme1, on 09 October 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Didn't we think that last year too?

And the year before and etc...

#20 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostDStebb, on 09 October 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

I just want Jaden Schwartz from St. Louis. Is there anyway we can make that happen? Vanek (we'll pay 50% of his salary) for Schwartz and a 3rd.
What about Schwartz makes you think that?   For Vanek I'd expect more than him and a 3rd.

#21 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

The only trade i think the Sabres would make prior to the deadline is Miller. If they convince themselves they are going to a different direction, i think it's wiser to trade him sooner then later. I don't think teams are too open to making a massive overhaul that late in the season that brings in a big star and a goalie such as Ryan Miller to a team.

If Miller is still here past January 1st, i am convinced he will either re-sign or walk. I'd almost bet anything that he'll be unmovable once the get into 2014.

#22 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

View Postsicknfla, on 09 October 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

I think one of two things has to happen by the start of the new year. With us most likely having the worst record in the league by then either Vanek/Miller are gone or DR is gone. Rebuild or no rebuild I can't see them standing pat that long. The fan base will be in an uproar and pressure will be on them to do something.

Well...

View PostHopefulFuture, on 09 October 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

I don't see any trades until after the new year at the earliest.

As for comments on a house cleaning, please, that's not going to happen. Ownership on down to the fan base is fully aware the team is right smack dab in the middle of a full on rebuild. The next 2 drafts should bring in top end talent (Regier speaks of all star talent lacking, 2 top 3 picks brings in a bit).

Beat me to it.  DR has obviously sold TP on the rebuild/youth movement/patience/suffering approach.  There is NFW DR gets fired during the year and frankly I think it would take something filthy that only GoDD would post about to get DR fired before the end of next season.

I agree with the rest of this post too, although I'm still hoping the Sabres aren't bad enough to draft that high.

View PostHeimdall, on 09 October 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

I can see edmonton taking stafford , myers or miller from us.  
Vanek will get traded to a contender for sure.  
I'm not writing Grigorenko off like most are doing already, give the kid a break.

I agree with all of this except that Edmonton has no use for Stafford.

Interesting, and Edmonton is the most likely candidate to give up a good forward for a Miller-Myers combo, but...

View Postfreester, on 09 October 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

I also think no one would give the Sabres Eberle or any other legit top-line forward for Miller and Myers unless Miller signs an extension in the deal.

View PostVanek-Man, on 09 October 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

The only trade i think the Sabres would make prior to the deadline is Miller. If they convince themselves they are going to a different direction, i think it's wiser to trade him sooner then later. I don't think teams are too open to making a massive overhaul that late in the season that brings in a big star and a goalie such as Ryan Miller to a team.

If Miller is still here past January 1st, i am convinced he will either re-sign or walk. I'd almost bet anything that he'll be unmovable once the get into 2014.

I agree on the first bolded part but not the 2nd.  I think the Sabres will still get something respectable for him at the deadline.  His contract will be cheap then and some playoff team will be willing to give DR a respectable pick/prospect combo for him -- not what they got for Pommer, but still respectable.

#23 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 09 October 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

I agree on the first bolded part but not the 2nd.  I think the Sabres will still get something respectable for him at the deadline.  His contract will be cheap then and some playoff team will be willing to give DR a respectable pick/prospect combo for him -- not what they got for Pommer, but still respectable.

I just feel like it's easier to trade skaters then goalies. Trading for a legitimate #1 goalie, you're willing to accept that you're gonna add a pretty big circus to your team, and intensify expectations enormously. Not sure why any GM would be willing to do that and history of trading doesn't have too many examples of #1 goalies traded that later.  Ken Wregget the last big name goalie to go that late? Chris Osgood to St Louis or is that not even big enough?

#24 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,537 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 09 October 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

I just feel like it's easier to trade skaters then goalies. Trading for a legitimate #1 goalie, you're willing to accept that you're gonna add a pretty big circus to your team, and intensify expectations enormously. Not sure why any GM would be willing to do that and history of trading doesn't have too many examples of #1 goalies traded that later.  Ken Wregget the last big name goalie to go that late? Chris Osgood to St Louis or is that not even big enough?

You're right -- it's pretty unusual.  Still, if Vokoun is still out in February -- which is quite possible -- how could Pittsburgh NOT trade their 1st (which is going to be a low pick) plus a decent prospect for Miller?

#25 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Miller and Myers to the Oilers for Eberle 1st round pick and a prospect..

Pffft, you underestimate regier , fixed it for you

#26 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Beat me to it.  DR has obviously sold TP on the rebuild/youth movement/patience/suffering approach.  There is NFW DR gets fired during the year and frankly I think it would take something filthy that only GoDD would post about to get DR fired before the end of next season.

I agree with the rest of this post too, although I'm still hoping the Sabres aren't bad enough to draft that high.

If they get bad enough, and its possible that they could be searching for their first win late into this month or next, TP could pull the plug on Darcy. There is no reason that this team can not still be competitive and still rebuild with youth. Its all about balancing your lineup and finding value in some veterans while mixing in some youth. This idea that the entire team needed to be blown up and all the youth needs ice time to develop in the NHL is just excuses the front office and the fans have used to try and justify being horrible.

View Postnfreeman, on 10 October 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

You're right -- it's pretty unusual.  Still, if Vokoun is still out in February -- which is quite possible -- how could Pittsburgh NOT trade their 1st (which is going to be a low pick) plus a decent prospect for Miller?
Because they won't have the cap room and would have to dump salary to take on an expensive backup. They aren't going to trade for a #1 goalie to replace Fleury just because their backup is out. If they are going to make a move, it will be for a cheap veteran who will play the backup spot (like Tim Thomas)

#27 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Agreed. I think Regier is safe. If the Sabres are bottom 3 late next season then i think serious discussions will begin of getting a new guy in here to try to work with the young talent + potential of Conner McDavid, but until then, he's as safe as it gets.

On a side note, i don't think Ron Rolston is as safe. He has coached the Buffalo Sabres for 35 games now, and only has 7 regulation victories. That's pretty awful. At some point their going to need to demand a few wins.

My silly theory is, Rolston has tons of troubles getting any victories whats-so-ever, and by late March or so, the team decides that they are just not improving and they let him go and bring in Ted Nolan, who, is busy until February coaching the Latvian national team with Girgensons.

Edited by Vanek-Man, 10 October 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#28 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 10 October 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Agreed. I think Regier is safe. If the Sabres are bottom 3 late next season then i think serious discussions will begin of getting a new guy in here to try to work with the young talent + potential of Conner McDavid, but until then, he's as safe as it gets.

On a side note, i don't think Ron Rolston is as safe. He has coached the Buffalo Sabres for 35 games now, and only has 7 regulation victories. That's pretty awful. At some point their going to need to demand a few wins.
Theres no way they can use the coach as a scapegoat again for this team. Rons job is safe as long as DR is the GM, and Darcy has been with the franchise long enough that if they don't show signs soon, he could be shown the door. It doesn't matter that he just started another rebuild, there is no reason that he should have had to be in this situation in the first place and it should not be an excuse for him to have more time. Another more competent GM could be brought in at this point and continue the youth/rebuild movement here without hurting the team/franchise

#29 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 10 October 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

My silly theory is, Rolston has tons of troubles getting any victories whats-so-ever, and by late March or so, the team decides that they are just not improving and they let him go and bring in Ted Nolan, who, is busy until February coaching the Latvian national team with Girgensons.
You had me up until Ted Nolan

#30 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,537 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 10 October 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

If they get bad enough, and its possible that they could be searching for their first win late into this month or next, TP could pull the plug on Darcy. There is no reason that this team can not still be competitive and still rebuild with youth. Its all about balancing your lineup and finding value in some veterans while mixing in some youth. This idea that the entire team needed to be blown up and all the youth needs ice time to develop in the NHL is just excuses the front office and the fans have used to try and justify being horrible.

Because they won't have the cap room and would have to dump salary to take on an expensive backup. They aren't going to trade for a #1 goalie to replace Fleury just because their backup is out. If they are going to make a move, it will be for a cheap veteran who will play the backup spot (like Tim Thomas)

I agree that DR should get canned.  I just don't think he will be.  It would be pretty irrational for TP to agree to rebuilding/suffering and then change his mind and fire DR.

As for Pittsburgh trading for Miller -- first, the cap hit is much easier to manage because it would be prorated for the remaining days in the season.  Second, the Sabres could keep half of the cap hit, which they would gladly do in order to get a good deal out of Pittsburgh.

Most importantly, I don't think Pittsburgh is going to go into the playoffs with MAF as their only viable veteran goalie.  He's crapped the bed in the playoffs 2 years in a row.  That team wants to take a shot at winning the cup this year -- just like they did last year -- and Miller is the most logical piece to add if Vokoun is out.

#31 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postinkman, on 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

You had me up until Ted Nolan

I once heard somewhere Pegula and Nolan were close, and that Pegula asked Nolan to join the Sabres in some capacity (not coach/gm) when Ruff was here but Nolan rejected because of his commitments and loyalty to Latvian hockey.

#32 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 10 October 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I agree that DR should get canned.  I just don't think he will be.  It would be pretty irrational for TP to agree to rebuilding/suffering and then change his mind and fire DR.

As for Pittsburgh trading for Miller -- first, the cap hit is much easier to manage because it would be prorated for the remaining days in the season.  Second, the Sabres could keep half of the cap hit, which they would gladly do in order to get a good deal out of Pittsburgh.

Most importantly, I don't think Pittsburgh is going to go into the playoffs with MAF as their only viable veteran goalie.  He's crapped the bed in the playoffs 2 years in a row.  That team wants to take a shot at winning the cup this year -- just like they did last year -- and Miller is the most logical piece to add if Vokoun is out.
I agree with the all the points above.

To add to the Regier thing, I wonder if Regier sold TP complete tank for a season (or 2 :death: ) or if he sold him on rough start with a strong finish as the youth "develop".  I wonder this primarily because Zadorov is still around... someone who should be in the OHL now that he has been cleared to play.

#33 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 10 October 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Theres no way they can use the coach as a scapegoat again for this team. Rons job is safe as long as DR is the GM, and Darcy has been with the franchise long enough that if they don't show signs soon, he could be shown the door. It doesn't matter that he just started another rebuild, there is no reason that he should have had to be in this situation in the first place and it should not be an excuse for him to have more time. Another more competent GM could be brought in at this point and continue the youth/rebuild movement here without hurting the team/franchise

7 regulation wins out of 35 is pretty bad. What if he has 14 in 70? Same tune?

#34 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 10 October 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

if he has 14 reg wins in 70 games Regier, Rolston and anyone else involved in the make up of this roster should be fired.

#35 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 10 October 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I agree that DR should get canned. I just don't think he will be.  It would be pretty irrational for TP to agree to rebuilding/suffering and then change his mind and fire DR.

I don't think anyone here who follows the team close enough that they frequent a message board does either, but firing DR doesn't mean that he is changing his mind on rebuilding, it just means he doesn't think that DR has done a good job at it so far. A new GM can easily step in and continue the youth/rebuild movement while also improving the product that is out there this season

I agree that I doubt MAF goes into the playoffs without a viable backup, I just don't think that Miller is going to be it. A team trading for him isn't getting him to be a backup, and I can't see the Pens acquiring him to make MAF the #2. If they were to make a deal for Miller, It would probably involve the Sabres getting MAF in return. I see the Pens making a move for someone like Thomas, or another cheaper veteran who can easily improve the backup spot for them, and be good enough to be the #1b if MAF struggles or gets hurt.

View PostVanek-Man, on 10 October 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Again, if DR is still here, he won't be the scapegoat again. They will use the rebuilding/suffering excuse and continue on with him.
They have already laid the seed to the fan base to expect bad hockey with the "suffering" comment, it would be really hard to justify firing the guy you hand picked to come in and replace Ruff after only one full season and gutting the team because their records been bad.

#36 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,537 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 10 October 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I agree with the all the points above.

To add to the Regier thing, I wonder if Regier sold TP complete tank for a season (or 2 :death: ) or if he sold him on rough start with a strong finish as the youth "develop".  I wonder this primarily because Zadorov is still around... someone who should be in the OHL now that he has been cleared to play.

But where's the harm in letting Nikita practice with the Sabres and playing him for 9 NHL games?  Wouldn't you like to see him knocking heads for 9 games?  I sure would.

View Postapuszczalowski, on 10 October 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I agree that I doubt MAF goes into the playoffs without a viable backup, I just don't think that Miller is going to be it. A team trading for him isn't getting him to be a backup, and I can't see the Pens acquiring him to make MAF the #2. If they were to make a deal for Miller, It would probably involve the Sabres getting MAF in return. I see the Pens making a move for someone like Thomas, or another cheaper veteran who can easily improve the backup spot for them, and be good enough to be the #1b if MAF struggles or gets hurt.

There's the rub.  I don't think Pittsburgh is going to assume that MAF can carry the mail in the playoffs -- and I think that if Vokoun is out, they are going to get someone who can -- i.e. a #1 goalie, not a backup.  The only downside of doing so is that they have an "extra" #1 goalie for the last month of the season plus the playoffs -- which is really no downside at all.

#37 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postinkman, on 09 October 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

What about Schwartz makes you think that?   For Vanek I'd expect more than him and a 3rd.

Well I wanted to say Schwartz and a first, but I think St. Louis is probably infatuated with Schwartz so I doubt they'd move him even if it was for Vanek straight up. But I just really like the kid, I think he'll be a star in this league.

#38 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 10 October 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

But where's the harm in letting Nikita practice with the Sabres and playing him for 9 NHL games?  Wouldn't you like to see him knocking heads for 9 games?  I sure would.
I don't trust the coach or the gm enough to believe they won't fall in love with Zadorov and keep him up whether he can handle it or not.

View PostDStebb, on 10 October 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Well I wanted to say Schwartz and a first, but I think St. Louis is probably infatuated with Schwartz so I doubt they'd move him even if it was for Vanek straight up. But I just really like the kid, I think he'll be a star in this league.
If I could call St Louis and said I will give you Thomas Vanek for Schwartz straight up... they wouldn't be able to fax the paperwork fast enough.

Edited by LGR4GM, 10 October 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#39 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostDStebb, on 10 October 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

why not just wait for the deadline and do it with the first.? they are a beast of a team already ...i think the highest first takes at the deadline with some clutter thrown in

Edited by waldo, 10 October 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#40 superdave

superdave

You're my boy, Blue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Your possible trading partners are only going to be willing to deal this early if you are willing to eat a bad contract in return.  Fixing what is wrong with a bad team is not helped by taking on some other team's anchor contract.  Darcy is much better served by waiting until closer to the deadline and letting the phone ring.  An injury that results in LTIR might result in a team making a move before the deadline is close, but I think it's way too early now.

Edited by superdave, 10 October 2013 - 11:39 AM.