Jump to content


Game Day Thread: 2013 home opener -- Ottawa vs. Buffalo 10/4/13


  • Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#1 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,640 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

It's on!

A young lineup gets even younger with Larsson in for Leino.

Miller was very sharp in game 1 -- let's get him some scoring support tonight.

Good division rivalry and a good opponent, with one of the most exciting young players in the league in Karlsson.  Not to mention Spezza, the newly acquired Bobby Ryan and the loathsome Chris Neil.

It's nothing Zemgus can't handle.

Go Sabres.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brussels, Belgium

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

we got this one 5 - 2.   Pysyk and erhoff each score a PP goal.  Zemgus will hit neil into the hospital.

All is good.

#3 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

    dont pee into the wind

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springville, NY

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Well single the GDT rules were not so carelessly broken ;)

We should win this by the powers that be..... Or, we could have less offense that Jeff tuel again against a good ottawa team.

Edited by wyldnwoody44, 04 October 2013 - 12:31 AM.


#4 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,667 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

That's what I'm talking about. Pinned ######!

#5 WildCard

WildCard

    I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

Really looking forward to seeing Larsson out there, as well as a better game from Risto and Myers.
Home-Opener, good guys win 3-1

#6 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Germany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

I fear we lose again 3:1.

Hopefully i will be wrong.

Go Sabres.

#7 neverenough

neverenough

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oregon

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

You cant always get what you want, you cant always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need!

Please no Grigs. Thx

#8 bobis

bobis

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

Want to see how the home captain does.

#9 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

@BuffaloSabres
Reminder: Please arrive early for the game tomorrow due to the construction of @HARBORCTR, Party in the Plaza + pregame handouts.

#10 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,170 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

So far the Buffalo sports weekend of Sabres Bills Sabres Sabres has been a bust.  Let's hope the Sabres can beat these guys because tomorrow is in Pittsburgh.  This might be the best chance of the set.

#11 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,224 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

The Sabres lost too many battles against the Red Wings were the Sabres had the Wings outnumbered. Sens win this one 5-2, the Sabres just don;t have anyone to answer Ryan and Karlsson.

#12 sicknfla

sicknfla

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

View Postwjag, on 04 October 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

So far the Buffalo sports weekend of Sabres Bills Sabres Sabres has been a bust.  Let's hope the Sabres can beat these guys because tomorrow is in Pittsburgh.  This might be the best chance of the set.

Tomorrow night at approx 10pm we will be reminded of what it's like to be a Buffalo sports fan. Bills/Sabres go 0-4 and we have learned that Manuel is out for the year.

#13 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 04 October 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

Tomorrow night at approx 10pm we will be reminded of what it's like to be a Buffalo sports fan. Bills/Sabres go 0-4 and we have learned that Manuel is out for the year.

All right! The power of positive thinking. :rolleyes:

#14 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,874 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

The Detroit game was an eye opener.  Buffalo was clearly outclassed.  I'm having trouble finding optimism after the 1st game.

#15 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orlando, FL by way of Tonawanda

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postneverenough, on 04 October 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

You cant always get what you want, you cant always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need!

Please no Grigs. Thx

Sang it.

#16 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

    D63

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central NY (Fingerlakes)

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

Sabres turn it around for us tonight.  Actually going to be able to watch this one.  I think good guys win 3-2

#17 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,236 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

Put Larsson on the first line.

#18 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

    If it goes wrong, blame Battista

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western NY

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

With Leino out, Stafford needs to step it up a notch and take his game to the next level.

#19 waldo

waldo

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

43 shots on the Sabres goal, 19 on the otter's..lol

#20 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostJsixspd, on 04 October 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

With Leino out, Stafford needs to step it up a notch and take his game to the next level.
So Stafford needs to go from crap to meh?

#21 LTS

LTS

    Who's next?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mendon, NY (by way of Tonawanda)

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 October 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Put Larsson on the first line.

That spot will be reserved for Girgensons.  

Looking forward to tonight's game to see how the Sabres handle a different style of team.  Hopefully they have the jump of the home opener and get it done.  I'm just looking for continued improvement.

One interesting item of note.. this morning on WGR550 Jeremy White mentioned that Ennis had the highest puck possession numbers and Leino was second.  In the GDT for Detroit I believe they were getting blasted as being turnover machines.  It appears that the stats said otherwise.

#22 bobis

bobis

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostJsixspd, on 04 October 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

With Leino out, Stafford needs to step it up a notch and take his game to the next level.

Stafford sucks. If it really is all about Rolston putting his best players on the ice, then Stafford needs to go to the cheap seats.

#23 K-9

K-9

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

How long is Foligno out? I liked him with Hodgson and Vanek in preseason.

GO SABRES!!!

#24 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

Only the Bills could deflate my enthusiasm for tonight.....Jeff Tuel? Really Bills?

#25 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

I'm hoping that there's a stronger level of compete, and, frankly, a better ability to compete against a team that, with any luck, won't be quite as adept at making us look like an AHL team (that Red Wings game appeared to be little more than a glorified scrimmage for Detroit).

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 October 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Put Larsson on the first line.

Now, now.

#26 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,170 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostLTS, on 04 October 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

That spot will be reserved for Girgensons.  

Looking forward to tonight's game to see how the Sabres handle a different style of team.  Hopefully they have the jump of the home opener and get it done.  I'm just looking for continued improvement.

One interesting item of note.. this morning on WGR550 Jeremy White mentioned that Ennis had the highest puck possession numbers and Leino was second.  In the GDT for Detroit I believe they were getting blasted as being turnover machines.  It appears that the stats said otherwise.

For Ennis I believe that.  He did hold the puck for long times.  The problem was he zigged and zagged with it for long time, but he would eventually hold it too long and Detroit would catch him and take it away.  So yeah he had puck possession but it ended with a turnover.  Someone dubbed him Max 2.0 and I think that is dead on.

Edited by wjag, 04 October 2013 - 08:42 AM.


#27 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

View Postwjag, on 04 October 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

For Ennis I believe that.  He did hold the puck for long times.  The problem was he zigged and zagged with it for long time, but he would eventually hold it too long and Detroit would catch him and take it away.  So yeah he had puck possession but it ended with a turnover.  Someone dubbed him Max 2.0 and I think that is dead on.

I've never had a guy go from my favorite player to watch on the team to a guy who I can't bear to watch. Unreal.

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,236 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 04 October 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

I'm hoping that there's a stronger level of compete, and, frankly, a better ability to compete against a team that, with any luck, won't be quite as adept at making us look like an AHL team (that Red Wings game appeared to be little more than a glorified scrimmage for Detroit).



Now, now.

Larsson would be better than Drew on that top line. Mark it down. That line won't do anything until Stafford isn't on it anymore.

#29 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,640 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

View Postwyldnwoody44, on 04 October 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

Well single the GDT rules were not so carelessly broken ;)

We should win this by the powers that be..... Or, we could have less offense that Jeff tuel again against a good ottawa team.

You don't reach a deal with the heart of your team and then let it sit on your desk for 2 months, driving him to change his mind and leave in FA.

You don't offer your other co-captain, who leads the entire league in playoff scoring over the past 8 years, half of his market value, driving him to leave in FA.

You don't wait 8 months to offer your best defenseman the contract he's been asking for the whole time, which by the time you finally offer it to him, is half his market value, driving him to leave in FA.

You don't let the defenseman with the most heart on your team and the forward with the most heart on your team walk because you think you don't need them.

You don't give a bunch of mediocrities "upper middle class" contracts, thus tying up all of your cap space and boxing you out of the chase for the 1-2 elite players that pop up every year.

You don't gouge your fans who have stuck with you through plenty of lean years by introducing a hideous new jersey when the team finally becomes a contender again.

And you absolutely DO NOT start the first GDT of the year before midnight of game day.

Hockey gods, we humbly beg your forgiveness.

#30 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,872 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

I pity the person anywhere in the nation who has to deal with a Buffalo sports fan today.

#31 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 October 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Larsson would be better than Drew on that top line. Mark it down. That line won't do anything until Stafford isn't on it anymore.

This team won't go anywhere, as long as Stafford is on it.

He's the very last, and probably the biggest bust, of the notorious "core".

I don't count Vanek as a "core" player, mostly because he always found himself on the bad side of Lindy's mood swings, whereas Roy and Stafford could do no wrong, no matter how horrible they were.

The fact that Stafford is still on the team, makes me doubt Darcy truly realises how huge a clusterf*ck his beloved "core" indeed was, and until he realises that, I have absolutely no faith in him not making the same mistakes all over again.

Edited by Kristian, 04 October 2013 - 09:22 AM.


#32 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 October 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Larsson would be better than Drew on that top line. Mark it down. That line won't do anything until Stafford isn't on it anymore.

well, that's definitely true.

i don't think larsson slots as a RW, though. the gaping hole at RW was apparent when pominville was traded. the staff is an infection for which we don't yet a cure. armia's injured, but didn't look ready anyway. leino's injured (again). flynn still has some time to show his upside, but i think he projects, at most, as a competent third-liner on an average NHL team. kaleta is who he is and does what he does. tropp's snake-bitten and doesn't crack the top 6 in any case.

so, yeah. RW is a total mess in this organization.

#33 bcardona

bcardona

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location:Fairport, NY

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Friday night and hockey is back.  Let's go Buffalo!

#34 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

@BuffNewsVogl Sabres' defense stays same: Tallinder-Myers, Ehrhoff-Pysyk, Weber-Ristolainen. Jamie McBain is healthy scratch.

@BuffNewsVogl
It looks like John Scott replaces Cody McCormick for Sabres tonight against Senators. Fourth line: Scott-Kevin Porter-Patrick Kaleta.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 04 October 2013 - 09:35 AM.


#35 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,236 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 04 October 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:



well, that's definitely true.

i don't think larsson slots as a RW, though. the gaping hole at RW was apparent when pominville was traded. the staff is an infection for which we don't yet a cure. armia's injured, but didn't look ready anyway. leino's injured (again). flynn still has some time to show his upside, but i think he projects, at most, as a competent third-liner on an average NHL team. kaleta is who he is and does what he does. tropp's snake-bitten and doesn't crack the top 6 in any case.

so, yeah. RW is a total mess in this organization.

Things that I hope will change as the season goes on:

- Various players make Drew expendable
- Various players make Ennis expendable

#36 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,870 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 04 October 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

So Stafford needs to go from crap to meh?
  I think it means he has to go from watery, to just loose....

#37 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

    Commander of the Armies of the North

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 04 October 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

I'm hoping that there's a stronger level of compete, and, frankly, a better ability to compete against a team that, with any luck, won't be quite as adept at making us look like an AHL team (that Red Wings game appeared to be little more than a glorified scrimmage for Detroit).

The Redwings didn't do that, the guys upstairs in the head office did it on their own by putting AHL players out there

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 04 October 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

@BuffNewsVogl Sabres' defense stays same: Tallinder-Myers, Ehrhoff-Pysyk, Weber-Ristolainen. Jamie McBain is healthy scratch.

@BuffNewsVogl
It looks like John Scott replaces Cody McCormick for Sabres tonight against Senators. Fourth line: Scott-Kevin Porter-Patrick Kaleta.
has the NHL already sent a fine to Rolston for selecting Scott to play in tonights game?

#38 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

    D63

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central NY (Fingerlakes)

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostSwampD, on 04 October 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

I pity the person anywhere in the nation who has to deal with a Buffalo sports fan today.

yeah...a Giant's/Rangers fan and a Pats fan both just gave me a look this morning...and it was all that was needed.  They just understood. Me and the other two Bills/Sabres fans have been left to our own devices today.

#39 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,872 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 04 October 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

  I think it means he has to go from watery, to just loose....
This gave me a real chuckle. :thumbsup:

#40 sicknfla

sicknfla

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 04 October 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:



Things that I hope will change as the season goes on:

- Various players make Drew expendable
- Various players make Ennis expendable

Their play alone should make them expendable. I could care less who replaces them.