OT: Windows XP End of Life

geekery

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: XP Awareness

Do you have Windows XP on at least one computer at home?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Are you aware that in April 2014, Windows XP will no longer get security patches?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What are you planning on doing after April 2014?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I read something about the Windows XP end of life, and was curious what people here were planning. I'd ask this on my Facebook or Twitter, but frankly Computer geeks and Engineers would be way over-represented in the results. I'd consider SS to be a better representation of the population.

Thanks!

Edited by MattPie, 01 October 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

While my desktop has Windows 7 and I don't anticipate upgrading (downgrading?) it to Windows 8, I don't think my little Asus Eeepc is going to be able to handle anything new. But I guess I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway. I'll probably just try to learn Ubuntu and put it on there for fun.

#3 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

No longer have anything using XP. Upgraded to 7 and never looked back.

#4 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Using Windows 7 Ultimate on a Desktop and Windows 8 Professional on Three Laptops. I haven't used Windows XP since 2010.

#5 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

We've got a lab computer here still running XP.  However, it's off the network because all the corporate software that is required for the network ended up wreaking havoc with some of our data analysis software.  I need to use usb drives to transfer any data generated in the lab to my desk, but it's the only way to get what we need.

#6 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,711 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

If I vote no to part I, part III has no meaningful choice.

#7 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostEleven, on 01 October 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

If I vote no to part I, part III has no meaningful choice.

Oops, fixed.

#8 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

I support a lab that has about 50 computers still running XP.  They are unable to update because of the equipment/software being used on the machines.  This was about a year ago that we were testing upgrading to windows 7 but our ISO said only 64bit would be acceptable.  

After the past year and realizing how many systems would not be able to run 64 bit with the amount of incompatible software, 32 bit was approved.  So I've been working on getting a good image together for these computers to hopefully have them upgraded this winter.

#9 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 01 October 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

No longer have anything using XP. Upgraded to 7 and never looked back.
Same

#10 rakish

rakish

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I don't think choice A, hoping you won't get infected, is a viable plan.
Moving to 7 or 8 would be OK. One thing to check is how much memory and hard drive you have as compared to the requirements or MS 7 and 8
I chose C, I moved to Ubuntu
Choice D, getting rid of it, I think depends on if it's a viable computer, upgrading from XP doesn't really change that

#11 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,191 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

XP...  bahahaha

#12 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

XP still works beautifully.  I have XP and 7 on my old box.  I'll use it whenever I want to play certain video games I never want to go through installing and modding again.

As far as not getting windows security patches, I have them disabled on most of my computers anyways.

#13 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostRCentered, on 01 October 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I don't think choice A, hoping you won't get infected, is a viable plan.
Moving to 7 or 8 would be OK. One thing to check is how much memory and hard drive you have as compared to the requirements or MS 7 and 8
I chose C, I moved to Ubuntu
Choice D, getting rid of it, I think depends on if it's a viable computer, upgrading from XP doesn't really change that

Oh, I agree that A is a bad plan (other than the sneaker-net only system mentioned by Claude). But, it's an option that I think many people will take, likely because they don't think it'll happen to them.

FWIW, I'll be buying a new laptop for my wife to replace her XP machine. It's old enough that it's starting to have hardware issues (screen and dvd). The old laptop might get Linux'd, or I might not bother. What's the only one I have to worry about, I've been using Ubuntu or Mint for a number of years.

For anyone looking to try Linux, Mint is a good option since the interface is similar to XP/7, moreso than Ubuntu's default.

#14 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 01 October 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

We've got a lab computer here still running XP.  However, it's off the network because all the corporate software that is required for the network ended up wreaking havoc with some of our data analysis software.  I need to use usb drives to transfer any data generated in the lab to my desk, but it's the only way to get what we need.

This is exactly how we're operating.  Our lab computers use specialized software and hardware to acquire data from instruments and perform analysis.  The amount of corporate software required to maintain a network connection is staggering, inclusive of the mandatory updates and restarts that can easily interfere with or make obsolete.  USB sticks and hard drives it is.

#15 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Yes.  For work and personal (3 computers).

Yes.

Question #3 = PANIC!!

Calling all geeks ... HELP!!

#16 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Even John Scott outscored me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

I have an Asus Eee PC that runs XP, other that the Atom processor getting overwhelmed at times it still works great.

I also have a Vista laptop that I stripped out most of the bloat from. Works okay but is rarely used.

Then I have 2 more laptops and desktops with W7. All great.

Bought the wife a W8 laptop for Xmas. She used it for a day, put it back in the box and returned it.

PTR

#17 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 02 January 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

I have an Asus Eee PC that runs XP, other that the Atom processor getting overwhelmed at times it still works great.

I also have a Vista laptop that I stripped out most of the bloat from. Works okay but is rarely used.

Then I have 2 more laptops and desktops with W7. All great.

Bought the wife a W8 laptop for Xmas. She used it for a day, put it back in the box and returned it.

PTR

Ouch. I've been playing with Windows 2012 Server (at work) a bit, and the Windows 8/2012 interface is pretty pants. I broke down and installed Classic Shell, which restores a Windows 7 (or Vista, or XP, or 2000) start menu and other pieces to make it more palatable.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Still trying to decide on a laptop for the wife. Hasn't really been a priority.

#18 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Windows 8 and 8.1 is nothing to be scared about. With some minor tweaking it can be set up to run almost exactly like Windows 7. And if you have, or plan to get a computer with a solid state drive you'll see how much faster Windows 8/8.1 really is.

I've got an old HP ZD8000 laptop that is used pretty much for just streaming audio hooked up to the stereo that has XP. My other two have 7 or 8.1. Not too concerned about the XP.

#19 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

All of my home computers (one desktop, three laptops) run Win 7.  I just last week fired up my old XPS tower which still has XP.  I'm absolutely stunned at how slow the thing runs.  I will be shutting it back down and (probably) putting a fresh install of Win 7 on it, then donating.  (Well, unless it runs even slower with 7; then I'll be recycling it).

#20 elj4176

elj4176

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

All my home machines are linux. At work we have some XP machines that we will be replacing with win7 before end of Q1.

#21 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have windows 8 and windows Vista (laptop)

While I had my doubts about windows 8 ... i love it

#22 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

We're having to deal with this at work.  We actually got an extension for support (yes, it's possible), until all of our systems can be upgraded to Win7.  As soon as that's done, we need to do the same to the Windows Server 2003 racks to upgrade them to Server 2012.

View PostPeppy22, on 03 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

While I had my doubts about windows 8 ... i love it

I have a Windows Phone 8 and really like it.  My only complaint really is that some of the most popular apps (including the Sabres) haven't released apps for Windows Phone yet.  Windows Phone is about the same marketshare as Blackberry and is growing while BB contracts, so I'm optimistic that WinPhone will get more love going forward.  Currently, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are two different OSs, but I think they'll be unified in coming releases.  (Microsoft has already successfully loaded and run WIndows 8 on a Lumia phone.)

#23 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostDoohickie, on 08 January 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

We're having to deal with this at work.  We actually got an extension for support (yes, it's possible), until all of our systems can be upgraded to Win7.  As soon as that's done, we need to do the same to the Windows Server 2003 racks to upgrade them to Server 2012.

I have a Windows Phone 8 and really like it.  My only complaint really is that some of the most popular apps (including the Sabres) haven't released apps for Windows Phone yet.  Windows Phone is about the same marketshare as Blackberry and is growing while BB contracts, so I'm optimistic that WinPhone will get more love going forward.  Currently, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are two different OSs, but I think they'll be unified in coming releases.  (Microsoft has already successfully loaded and run WIndows 8 on a Lumia phone.)

2012: that's brave. :) We're just bumping everything up to 2008 since 2012 is so strange.

As for Windows Phone 8, 8 RT (cheap tablets), and 8 (laptops and expensive tablets), Microsoft has lost the plot a bit. While they all look somewhat the same, all three are fairly incompatible as far as apps go. I can see that between Phone and "real" 8 since they do different tasks, but it makes no sense for Windows 8 RT to be incompatible with both Phone and real 8.

#24 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostMattPie, on 08 January 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

2012: that's brave. :) We're just bumping everything up to 2008 since 2012 is so strange.

2008 was the original plan, but the certification process we go through is so onerous that they decided they didn't want to have to do it again for as long as possible.

#25 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Support extended until July 2015

http://thenextweb.co...s-july-14-2015/

Oops edit: support for security products for XP - not the OS.

Edited by Assquatch, 15 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#26 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostAssquatch, on 15 January 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Support extended until July 2015

http://thenextweb.co...s-july-14-2015/

Oops edit: support for security products for XP - not the OS.

Interesting, so it'll detect new malware and viruses, likely after it's infected your machine. You'll be able to remove them but then probably get reinfected again. I wonder how much of that decision is "hey, the users will keep seeing virus warnings and get fed up. Hopefully they upgrade to Windows 8!"