Job Performance Poll: Head Coach Ron Rolston

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Job Performance Poll: Head Coach Ron Rolston

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the CURRENT AND PAST PERFORMANCE of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the EXPECTED FUTURE PERFORMANCE of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the RESPONSIBILITY of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres FOR THE CURRENT WIN/LOSS RECORD OF THE TEAM:

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

See poll.

Keep it civil.

Change your votes as often as you like, by "deleting vote" and voting again.

#2 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

I like Ron Ron.

#3 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

When I say somewhat responsible for the current record (and I am assuming this refers to last year's 23-place finish) I mean it would have been worse without Ron. So far, I have liked what I have seen.

#4 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

It's probably fair that when considering Ron, we consider his contribution to the record while he's been here.

#5 K-9

K-9

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Color me confused. When I said I don't find him responsible at all for our current record, I mean all I have to go by is his interim run last season, which I don't hold him responsible for at all.

Starting Wednesday, I will hold him highly, but not solely, responsible for our W L record moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9, 30 September 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#6 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostK-9, on 30 September 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Color me confused. When I said I don't find him responsible at all for our current record, I mean all I have to go by is his interim run last season, which I don't hold him responsible for at all.

Starting Wednesday, I will hold him highly, but not solely, responsible for our W L record moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

That's alright.  I figure judging The Ron is sort of open to interpretation a little now, but, as you said, it will start to clear up as we get underway.  Some people may judge his performance last season, considering that he got thrown into things a little, and that's ok.  Some people won't.  No wrong answers here.

Definitely update your votes as you see fit.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 30 September 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#7 pi2000

pi2000

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

I want to like him, but he's done nothing to convince me he's the answer at head coach.

#8 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I noticed improvement when he took over last year. I found the games more ' watchable ' if that means anything but perhaps that was because I was anticipating some sort of change to take place. I think things could have been worse and am thinking they may get worse. The front office has done little to improve the roster which we're being told is by design . I voted somewhat responsible (5) because although he is the coach with a better roster I have no doubt he'd have a better record but then again Lindy would have had a better record as well. Thats on Darcy imo.

#9 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

He has been interim head coach and has yet to coach his first regular season game as the "permanent" coach.  So as far as I'm concerned the current won/loss record is 0-0-0-0 and his job performance is TBD.  I'm not voting because I think it is legitimately too early to tell what he can do with this team.

#10 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

past performance i give him bad grades. I didn't like what i saw in his camera time on the blue and gold series and I was less then impressed with his style once he was called up.

current/future I give him a lot better grades. I have liked what I has seen and heard since camp opened and whilest not a fan I am getting more willing to say he might be the right guy to coach the youngens for a bit.

current standings........... there are none and last season was a black hole of shittastic that I don't think any coach could have fixed

#11 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,785 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

I blame the date on the team's current win/loss record.

#12 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

My parents taught me that when you have nothing good to say about some one

what was that phrase again....

oh yeah ...

head to a message board...

#13 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

I like Ron. I like how he acts in interviews, how he is with young guys, how he coaches, and especially how his team sounds.  They don't sound like they did last year.  They reacted to the Toronto thing completely differently than I would have thought and then after they played it off for the stupidity that it was.  That all is stemming from the coach.

I deleted my vote because last years team was a nightmare and so was the season.  This year the jury is still out so I shall wait and see... his first test to me will be who he names Captain and Assistants...

#14 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Ron 4 prez

#15 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

It's a BS poll that doesn't mean a thing, especially talking about a win-loss record.  Last year was last year; it was transitional.  Too early to say anything about this year.

#16 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,106 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 01 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

It's a BS poll that doesn't mean a thing, especially talking about a win-loss record.  Last year was last year; it was transitional.  Too early to say anything about this year.

It doesn't mean anything yet. That's why they're being left open so people can update their votes over time.

#17 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hard to hold a coach solely responsible for the W/L record.  You could be Scotty Bowman but if the Gm gives you the Mighty Ducks to play against Team Canada you are going to lose.

Not saying that happened here, but Rolston only gets to use the parts he's given.

#18 Darryl Shannon's +/-

Darryl Shannon's +/-

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm holding out to vote on him because I feel it's way too early.  I was impressed with the salvage work he did with this roster last year, yet bored to tears with the style of play that resulted.  Curious to see how he deals with all the youth in the lineup, and the organizational plan for it.  Last year I feel he played a lineup that gave him the best chance to win (playing Porter and Flynn a ton).  Will he have Grigs on a short leash out of fear for his own job, or does he have assurances from up on high that we can deal with growing pains?  On an unrelated note, I liked Lindy for his interactions in the media and thought Ron held up the same way after the dust up in Toronto.

#19 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I rated his past/current performance rather poorly for two reasons.  One, I don't think the way they got points last year is sustainable, and to the extent it can be sustained, I think it has a natural ceiling on how far it can take the team.  Two, I'm not at all pleased with his current line combinations and apparent player usage.  As for what the future holds? I have no idea, not enough to go on really, so I'm neutral on that.

#20 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

I was OK with Ron last year because he seemed to give some structure to the sinking ship.
A despite his bland personality, he also seemed to say the right things about accountability and playing for each other.
I was certainly willing to give him a chance and was comfortable with the hire.

But I am starting to think he is a big part of the problem.
The lack of forecheck, the passive play in front of both nets, the abysmal passing on the rush, the poorly timed dump-ins.
The indecisiveness, the slow starts, the crappy power play, the sticking with ineffective line combinations.
We are not a talented team but these are things that can be improved by coaching.

Can any coach in a major sport survive eight regulation wins in 40-plus games?

#21 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

I'm underwhelmed to say the least. The team is horrible with RR at the helm. They do nothing well, have slow game starts, and look lost for long stretches on an almost nightly basis.  Looks to me like the veteran players are not buying in to this guy as Coach. They have a joke of a PP, lack on ice awareness, have poor defensive zone coverage, and have even veteran players making poor decisions.

The team is an embarrassing mess under Rolston.  He and his gardening gloves are producing weeds thus far. :thumbdown:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 24 October 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#22 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

I hope Ron can find a nice college job...like at Mercyhurst.

#23 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

When a team is this bad there is nothing to like. Not one area of this team is better since he took over. Not one player is improved. That is the sign of good coach.

Also, has one veteran ever spoke about him highly? I may have missed a comment here or there but I don't recall at any point one player saying " coach has a great system we just need to execute" type BS. I think he could maybe be a decent HC someday but this not the situation for him. In over his head fixing this debacle.

Edited by sicknfla, 24 October 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#24 Eric in Akron

Eric in Akron

Professional Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Postsicknfla, on 24 October 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

When a team is this bad there is nothing to like. Not one area of this team is better since he took over. Not one player is improved. That is the sign of good coach.

Also, has one veteran ever spoke about him highly? I may have missed a comment here or there but I don't recall at any point one player saying " coach has a great system we just need to execute" type BS. I think he could maybe be a decent HC someday but this not the situation for him. In over his head fixing this debacle.

To add to this - the makeup of this team's offensive lines are not that different from late last year and yet, it is having more trouble this year getting shots on net and pucks in the net.  I would say the offensive guys have taken a step backwards. System?  Preparation?  Either way it is on the coach and his assistants.

#25 Drunkard

Drunkard

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm ready to downgrade my votes on him at this point, even though I hope he sticks around for now. There's no way I want another coach falling on the sword and taking the fall for Darcy's ineptitude because with our luck the new guy will do exactly what Rolston did last year and that's provide just enough improvement for us to miss out on the chance to draft a true blue chip prospect in the draft. When Regier eventually gets ######-canned then I want the new GM to be able to bring in his own guy but for now I'm willing to let Rolston continue to flounder watching him try to make chicken salad out of chicken ######. He does a lot of things I disagree with coaching wise but when you look at the fact that we don't have a single center on this team (excluding the kids) who is capable of playing well defensively he's been dealt a bad hand.

Edited by Drunkard, 24 October 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#26 sarspants

sarspants

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

My biggest issue with the current coaching situation regardless of the wins/losses: Is this the guy you want developing the young players?

Edited by sarspants, 24 October 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#27 rickshaw

rickshaw

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

The Sabres are in rebuild mode, we all agree. But there is no way this guy should be coaching these kids, yet alone any NHL team.
This team needs a proven coach, one who can teach, one who can flex his muscles by past coaching reputation, one who gets them to play the right way and hopefully have them learn how to win in time.
Ruff needed to go, it was clear, but RR has no business being in this league.

Darcy must go first, then the coach with him. The new GM needs to mould this team the right way, with his own coaching staff and go from there. The future of this team should not be with DR. Yes, he's picked up some great kids along the way, but it's time for someone new to steer this team in the right direction. And it's time for a real NHL coach, not RR. Sending out John Scott, down 2, with 15 minutes to go in a game, tells me he's more interested in frontier justice than he is trying to get another goal and try to tie the game. Bush league.

The Sabres are the laughing stock of the league. Terry Pegula??? Do something.

#28 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I suppose in a rebuild year you need to rebuild the coach too.

#29 TM8-PL16

TM8-PL16

Let's Go Buffalo!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Maybe this point isn't just Rolston, although I think it is... but I think Grigirenko is basically ruined and I see no reason for him to not RUN back to russia when his contract is up at this point.  I'm not saying I want this to happen, I'm saying he is probably thinking this way.  I know "he has to earn ice time" and all that, but this kid was hailed as SUPER talented and he's being giving about 10:00 a night which sounds ok until you realize he's out there with no body most of the time and really can't "get going"... this kid doesn't look happy and this goes beyond the team losing type of not happy I think.

How can he be excited to come to the rink every day when he doesn't think he's being given a chance to succeed when he's on the ice with John Scott?  I know it's his job and all that but come on, he's 19 and he's been told he's awesome since he was probably what, 13? or earlier?  Now all he hears is that he's not working hard enough... so he gets crap time... yet when Leino comes back from injury, he'll get put on a decent line and won't produce and no one will say anything.  Stafford had two decent games, but still produced ###### and we still suck.  If you Grig's changed jersey's with either of those two, would anyone even notice???

So if we suck now with Grig's on the 4th line, who cares if we suck with him playing on a "top" or at least better line?  I'd rather have him be a minus 3 while trying to see what he can do, have him really learn, have fun and be exciting, than what we have now, which is losing with him showing nothing and looking like a wasted high pick.

Really what he needs can't happen because of stupid rules... he needs to be in the AHL, playing a lot and riding buses.  But since that isn't an option, just let him "develop" on the 4th line ?  ugh, I don't like that option either.

#30 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Can we hire Laviolette?  Like today?

#31 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 24 October 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Can we hire Laviolette?  Like today?

This tank job has been too perfectly constructed to make a move which has even the slightest chance of ruining it.

#32 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Trainwreck Kept a Rollin'.

If we're going to eat this "turd burger," I want a payout. I want #1 or #2 overall.  Forget the notions of improvement.  That's weakness.

"That's just pride ######in' with you.  ###### PRIDE."

#33 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Terry is pleased with how this is going because Darcy told him that the Sabres were only going to be collecting 3 points every 12 games or so.  Their plan to keep Rolston on to tank for Reinhart is right on track.
A little GoDDin' for ya.

#34 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

I find it very interesting that the highest % of responses for each question are in the middle of the road/neutral category; that tells me that the majority of voters really don't have a strong opinion either way?

How could you not with this giant **** sandwich we are being offered?    Seriously ...

My biggest beefs with him are 1) poor/ineffective player/line management, with the Grigo scenario being the most egregious. THis alone could be a fireable offense.....and 2) a clear regression from last year's post-Ruff quasi-righting of the ship.

#35 JoDo

JoDo

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

I voted pretty harshly against him but I don't necessarily think he's a bad coach.  But he definitely is not the right coach for this team.  When I watch this team it looks like a team that is poorly coached.  I just think his skill set is not suited for the set of "tools" he has here.  I actually do like the aggressive style of play.  I think Scott should be suspended however I don't think he's a goon for that hit.  It was late and poorly placed but I do not think he attempted to hurt the player.  The game surely moves a little too fast for Scott, that's obvious when you watch him skate.  I think I could beat him to a puck.  I like Scott's presence on the team.  Ron needs to go, nothing personal but he's not the right guy for this job.

#36 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostBuffaninATL, on 25 October 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I find it very interesting that the highest % of responses for each question are in the middle of the road/neutral category; that tells me that the majority of voters really don't have a strong opinion either way?

How could you not with this giant **** sandwich we are being offered?    Seriously ...

My biggest beefs with him are 1) poor/ineffective player/line management, with the Grigo scenario being the most egregious. THis alone could be a fireable offense.....and 2) a clear regression from last year's post-Ruff quasi-righting of the ship.

Maybe because most of us voted around the time the poll was created? You know, before the season started?

#37 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 25 October 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Maybe because most of us voted around the time the poll was created? You know, before the season started?

Yupp.  If I had waited until this point in the season, my answers would've drifted to the poor end of the scale rather than sit in the middle.

#38 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

RR better show some better results:
@SabresPR
GM Darcy Regier announces Randy Cunneyworth has been added to #Sabres scouting staff.

@SabresPR
Cunneyworth, who recently served as asst. coach and interim head coach for the Montreal Canadiens, will be a pro scout for the #Sabres.

#39 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,106 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Cunnyworth didn't show any more coaching ability than Ron, so I doubt he's a challenger.

#40 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

And our rudderless ship limps on.