Brayden Mcnabb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

So, I was just scanning through some of the projected lines here on the main page for the sabres main page as well as here, and I thought to myself, where does Mcnabb key into this whole thing?

He's got a big body, hard shot, good guy and everything, but is Pysyk really that much better than Mcnabb mid,long term?

After seeing Mcnabb's two goal performance and just overall from what I hear from this guy, he is not an AHLer

Here we run into the dilemna of slightly too much depth on D (if that's even possible) especially with Risto and Zadorov popping in within the next few seasons

Mcnabb has been in the system longer and I think he deserves a spot over the average Pysyk, who in my mind is another T.J Brennan or Marc-andre Gragnani

Does Mcnabb start opening night or Pysyk? Too early to tell?

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Attached Files

Edited by BuffaloBorn, 21 September 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#2 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Pysyk has simply looked better than McNabb so far.  If Pysyk starts in Buffalo over McNabb it is because he earned it.

With the riches we have in defense prospects I think McNabb suddenly looks like trade fodder.

#3 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

I agree. I think if/when Miller or Vanek get moved he may be a part of it.

#4 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think you are drastically underestimating Mark Pysyk.
McNabb has a couple elements Pysyk lacks, but his overall game has a lot more holes.
McNabb is good at the point with his big shot, and is capable of some big hits, but he has heavy feet, the game sometimes moves too fast for him to process in our zone, and his outlets need work.
Pysyk is not bad at the point either, and won't hurt anybody, but he is a beautiful skater who closes gaps and anticipates very well defensively. He is also a great outlet passer and he makes smart decisions in all three zones.
I think McNabb has a future in this league as a 4/5 who gets second-unit power play time.
I think Pysyk will be a 2/3 who plays on both special teams and stays in the league for 15 years.
Pretty sure I posted this on here before, but in a lot of ways he reminds of his coach, Teppo Numminen.

#5 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

This is the problem with having too many D.  And contrary to the popular myth "You can never have too many defensemen.", yes you can.

Trading for Tallinder and drafting Risto and Zadarov only made the situation worse.

Here we have too many guys with not enough ice time to show us what they've got on the NHL level.  McNabb will be an NHL defenseman, of that there is no doubt.  But will he get the ice time to develop against NHL opponents?  Pysyk is too, but so are the majority of the 12+ defensemen currently on the squad.

I just don't want to see NHL-ready defensemen wasting their time in Rochester when they can be in the NHL now developing their skill set against tough competition.

Edited by Bullwinkle III, 21 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#6 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postdudacek, on 21 September 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I think you are drastically underestimating Mark Pysyk.
McNabb has a couple elements Pysyk lacks, but his overall game has a lot more holes.
McNabb is good at the point with his big shot, and is capable of some big hits, but he has heavy feet, the game sometimes moves too fast for him to process in our zone, and his outlets need work.
Pysyk is not bad at the point either, and won't hurt anybody, but he is a beautiful skater who closes gaps and anticipates very well defensively. He is also a great outlet passer and he makes smart decisions in all three zones.
I think McNabb has a future in this league as a 4/5 who gets second-unit power play time.
I think Pysyk will be a 2/3 who plays on both special teams and stays in the league for 15 years.
Pretty sure I posted this on here before, but in a lot of ways he reminds of his coach, Teppo Numminen.

I may give you another pair of tickets for this post alone.
Pysyk is do vastly under-rated by some on this board.
As for McNabb, he has the tools that make the casual observer believe he could be a star but at least two hockey people reported that even with his 3 points the other day he was still the 6th best defenseman playing for the Sabres that night. He will play in this league but won't come close to Pysyk in value to his team.

#7 Numark

Numark

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Both are great D prospects!  But Pysyk has first line potential in his career and is a higher rated prospect.  Mcnabb will have his turn for sure!

#8 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,674 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

This is how I see it shaking out:

Locks:  Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder

Fighting for last 2 or 3 spots:  Risto, McNabb, Ruhwedal, Sulzer, Zadorov

Darcy LOVES sending guys down with eligibility and HATES risking losing players on waivers.  McNabb is the most likely candidate for Amerks because of this and the fact that Risto may have already made the team.  Have Brayden and Rudy as you top pair in the A and call whichever one up that looks the best when needed.

#9 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

FYI - the Sabres see Pysyk as their number 3 d-man - at the moment! That is huge. I love his game, it is quiet and won't draw attention to himself, but he will rarely make a mistake and will also chip in offensively

View Postinkman, on 21 September 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Darcy LOVES sending guys down with eligibility and HATES risking losing players on waivers.  McNabb is the most likely candidate for Amerks because of this and the fact that Risto may have already made the team.  Have Brayden and Rudy as you top pair in the A and call whichever one up that looks the best when needed.

You forgot Mcbain

#10 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postinkman, on 21 September 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Other than adding McBain this seems about right.  They trust Sulzer so it is not nuts to add Sulzer to the "Locks" list.  Frankly, I'd rather a young guy get the spot but the realist in me sez that Sulzer will be in Bufalo.

My money would be on the following on the opening day roster:  Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder, Risto, Sulzer, and McBain.  I couldn't care less about the last two being on the roster but that is what I expect to see.

#11 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

tank on..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thanks guys I admit I don't know a lot about Pysyk and have not seen him play a lot

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Don't worry myers will be traded by november to edmonton along with stafford for a 1st and Yakupov

#13 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostHeimdall, on 21 September 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Don't worry myers will be traded by november to edmonton along with stafford for a 1st and Yakupov

Can I have that in writing?

#14 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 21 September 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Can I have that in writing?

Give it a minute, Eklund is drafting up his rumor post and you can print that.

#15 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,194 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington  9m
I saw Brayden McNabb leaving the building. Clearly headed for Rochester. @BillHoppeNHL just saw Zigomanis leave also.

#16 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Everything that is said about Pysyk makes me think Teppo Numminen.  I really hope Teppo can work some magic with him.

#17 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,255 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I was at the Game Saturday, IMO Pysyk was one of the best players on the ice.

His Point-to-Vowel Ratio is astronomical.

#18 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

McNabb is sent to Rochester. Surprising Zadorov still not sent down to junior.

#19 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

View Postshrader, on 23 September 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Everything that is said about Pysyk makes me think Teppo Numminen.  I really hope Teppo can work some magic with him.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 23 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I was at the Game Saturday, IMO Pysyk was one of the best players on the ice.

His Point-to-Vowel Ratio is astronomical.

Dudacek and Tom deserve credit for being out in front on this one.  I'm in as well -- Pysyk looks great.

#20 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 23 September 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Dudacek and Tom deserve credit for being out in front on this one.  I'm in as well -- Pysyk looks great.

I'm glad you can remember who the early birds were on Pysyk. I haven't seen much of the preseason, but all indications from what I read are that he's going to make a jump this year.

#21 Dannepanne

Dannepanne

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

being sent down before adam must be a fun scenario. bye!

#22 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Only reason Adam can still be here is waivers. He's done nothing, again.

#23 Dannepanne

Dannepanne

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postdudacek, on 23 September 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Only reason Adam can still be here is waivers. He's done nothing, again.
Did not know Adam had to go through waivers. I'm not that familar with the rules... But if that's the case someone probably would take a chance on Adam if he's waived. Edit: we did get a fifth for brennan. perhaps we could get a sixth or seventh for Adam?

Edited by Dannepanne, 23 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#24 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,944 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Luke Adam blows. No one will take him on waivers.

#25 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,194 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 23 September 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Luke Adam blows. No one will take him on waivers.

Dallas will, just so that Lindy can violently bludgeon him in the head again, causing deep psychological trauma not even felt by survivors of Auschwitz.

Edited by Eleven, 23 September 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#26 ALF

ALF

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Sabres demote 6 to AHL Rochester
Monday, September 23, 2013 -- The Associated Press

NHL Coverage Sections: Monday, September 23, 2013

Author(s):

Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Defensemen Brayden McNabb and Chad Ruhwedel were among six Buffalo Sabres assigned to the minors.
Also demoted to AHL Rochester on Monday were forwards Mike Zigomanis and Matt Ellis, defenseman Drew Bagnall and goalie Matt Hackett. Bagnall and Ellis must first clear waivers.
The moves came a little over a week before Buffalo opens the season at Detroit Oct. 2.
McNabb and Ruhwedel were both regarded as contenders to make the Sabres roster.
With two preseason games left, the Sabres (3-1-1) are still carrying nine defensemen. It's a group that includes rookie first-round draft picks Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov.
Buffalo is also carrying 18 forwards and two goalies, Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth.
Teams have until Sept. 30 to set their 23-player rosters    Source URL: http://bostonherald....o_ahl_rochester

#27 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostEleven, on 23 September 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Dallas will, just so that Lindy can violently bludgeon him in the head again, causing deep psychological trauma not even felt by survivors of Auschwitz.
i laughed a lot more then this probaly deserved. I award you 7 internet points good sir

#28 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hopefully McNabb took last season to heart and has changed some of his habits and commits more to his career. He was a regular last season on East/Alex.

#29 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

I think that McNabb will soon be at the level where the AHL will no longer be challenging enough to sharpen his skills.  That isn't the case now, but I think it soon can be.

And then what?  Trade him after all the time, cost, and effort the Sabres have spent in developing him into an NHL class defenseman?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the reason a team can have too many D.

#30 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

I'm all for giving Brayden and any guy who's been through the system a good chance. There are guys they signed, marginal NHLers like Sulzer and McBain that I have to shake my head at and ask why clog up the pipeline?

#31 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 24 September 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

I think that McNabb will soon be at the level where the AHL will no longer be challenging enough to sharpen his skills.  That isn't the case now, but I think it soon can be.

And then what?  Trade him after all the time, cost, and effort the Sabres have spent in developing him into an NHL class defenseman?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the reason a team can have too many D.

Still down on Pysyk?  What was that clever nickname you had for him?  And how are the guys you wanted the Sabres to draft instead of him doing?

#32 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,255 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostEleven, on 23 September 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

View Postdrnkirishone, on 23 September 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

i laughed a lot more then this probaly deserved. I award you 7 internet points good sir

Me too, although I'm fresh out of internet points.

#33 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Although I worry McNabb could handle a regular spot on the Sabres roster I do wish the pipeline wasn't so crowded so we could find out.  I didn't understand resigning Sulzer in the offseason. I didn't understand getting McBain back when we traded Sekera.  I actually understand why we got Risto and Zadorov.  I have no idea why we got Rhuwedel.   Not to be unfair to a group of players but Sulzer, McBain, and Rhuwedel are extras that we simply didn't really need.

#34 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 24 September 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Although I worry McNabb could handle a regular spot on the Sabres roster I do wish the pipeline wasn't so crowded so we could find out.  I didn't understand resigning Sulzer in the offseason. I didn't understand getting McBain back when we traded Sekera.  I actually understand why we got Risto and Zadorov.  I have no idea why we got Rhuwedel.   Not to be unfair to a group of players but Sulzer, McBain, and Rhuwedel are extras that we simply didn't really need.

I think taking McBain's contract was the price, along with Reggie, for Carolina's pick, which was a high 2nd-rounder and which the Sabres used to take a player they seem to have wanted.

I think Sulzer was re-signed as a depth veteran -- having gotten rid of 3 veterans in the offseason, the Sabres' D group was pretty green (same goes for Tallinder).

As for Rudy, they signed him before the draft, so they didn't know at that time they were going to get 2 more young defensemen in the 1st round.  And they probably had some doubts about McNabb.

#35 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 24 September 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

I still don't see the problem with another season in the A, he's only been there two years. It's not like McNabb is some blue chip prospect either. He was a 3rd round pick with a ton of things he had to develop. Still on the list: decision making under duress, skating, and outlet passes. Maybe it was the injury, but he wasn't very good last year in the minors and hasn't been particularly impressive in preseason from what I've read.

#36 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 24 September 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Still down on Pysyk?  What was that clever nickname you had for him?  And how are the guys you wanted the Sabres to draft instead of him doing?

In your incessant drive to prove me wrong, you have tripped and fallen on your face once again.

I never degraded Pysyk because I didn't have any information about him.  I was high on Tinordi in that draft because at the time he looked like the better player.

Everyone knows that kids that age can blossom or fail unexpectedly.  I was simply voicing my opinion on information I knew at that time.  There is no question that Pysyk has surprised everyone - even an top expert hockey maven like yourself.

Talking about my draft preferences, no mention of my condemnation for the choice of Kassian over Kulikov?

I thought not.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 September 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I still don't see the problem with another season in the A, he's only been there two years. It's not like McNabb is some blue chip prospect either. He was a 3rd round pick with a ton of things he had to develop. Still on the list: decision making under duress, skating, and outlet passes. Maybe it was the injury, but he wasn't very good last year in the minors and hasn't been particularly impressive in preseason from what I've read.

As I mentioned, he can still learn from the AHL at this time.  But I think the ability is there to excel and his preseason performance in the Carolina game was outstanding.

#37 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 24 September 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

In your incessant drive to prove me wrong, you have tripped and fallen on your face once again.

I never degraded Pysyk because I didn't have any information about him.  I was high on Tinordi in that draft because at the time he looked like the better player.

Everyone knows that kids that age can blossom or fail unexpectedly.  I was simply voicing my opinion on information I knew at that time.  There is no question that Pysyk has surprised everyone - even an top expert hockey maven like yourself.

Talking about my draft preferences, no mention of my condemnation for the choice of Kassian over Kulikov?

I thought not.

As I mentioned, he can still learn from the AHL at this time.  But I think the ability is there to excel and his preseason performance in the Carolina game was outstanding.
Not to pile on but outside of his big slapper in that game he was mundane from all accounts.

#38 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 24 September 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

I thought not.

Really?  You didn't refer to him with a derogatory nickname?

I'll give you this:  you have a rare talent for aggressively insisting on mistaken factual assertions that are easily disproved.

#39 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 24 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Really?  You didn't refer to him with a derogatory nickname?

I'll give you this:  you have a rare talent for aggressively insisting on mistaken factual assertions that are easily disproved.

Easily disproved?  You haven't done it yet.

View PostLGR4GM, on 24 September 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Not to pile on but outside of his big slapper in that game he was mundane from all accounts.

The game was not televised so I did not see it.  He looked great on the scoresheet, but I respect your opinion and will accept your account of his play.

#40 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 25 September 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

The game was not televised so I did not see it.  He looked great on the scoresheet, but I respect your opinion and will accept your account of his play.
I saw highlights and listened to the game, read the reports afterwards.  I wouldn't have tossed that out but it was a general consensus from the reporters and announces that McNabb was questionable in his decision making.