Jump to content


Prediction time: opening night lineup


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
245 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the team gonna look like to start the season?

Which of the following FNGs will be dressed for opening night?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Who is your dark horse to unexpectedly make the Sabres' roster to start the season (even if he doesn't dress for opening night)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Who is going to be the other winger, with Hodgson and Vanek, on opening night?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well, now that camp has started and RR is getting a chance to teach, pick and choose and generally shape the team to his liking, and there are a lot of new faces, I thought it was time for some predictions.

Let's have 'em.

Admit it:  you're kinda looking forward to seeing how this works out.  I know I am.

Go Sabres.

Edited by nfreeman, 18 September 2013 - 09:49 AM.


#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

My dark horse is Baptiste.

#3 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Oh man, so early still.  But the practice lines sort of give a clue.

#4 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

I really want Zadorov and Ristolainen in the lineup. No Tallinder, no Ruhwedel, no McBain.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Weber, Pysyk. Tallinder as the 7th D man and player coach.

#5 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 September 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I really want Zadorov and Ristolainen in the lineup. No Tallinder, no Ruhwedel, no McBain.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Weber, Pysyk. Tallinder as the 7th D man and player coach.

I doubt Z is ready for it but I share your wish for the defense.

#6 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

I doubt Z is ready for it but I share your wish for the defense.

I know it's just gut feel, but just the little bit I've seen of him in video I think he's ready. The way he skates says it all to me. I see his footwork, his poise and his timing/patience as the sign of someone who is both mentally and physically ready to match up against NHL talent. Preseason will hopefully provide a much better opportunity for evaluation.

#7 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Oh man, so early still.  But the practice lines sort of give a clue.

I know.  I can't help it!  I need something to look forward to, and it can't be just hoping that Stafford finally removes head from rectum.

And is that McCormick in your avatar?

Edited by nfreeman, 13 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.


#8 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think the lines will look like this (as long as no one opens the season hurt):

Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford
Ennis - Larsson - Foligno
Ott - Grigorenko - Leino
Kaleta - Porter - Tropp

Ehrhoff - Myers
Tallinder - Pysyk
Weber - McBain

Scratches - Scott, McCormick, Sulzer

To Rochester - Risto, Zemgus, Flynn, Ruhwedel, Armia, Adam, McNabb, Gauthier-Leduc

#9 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I really think the opening lines for training camp will be how we open the season.
Tropp McCormick Kaleta looks like a bulldog fourth line.
Larsson holds off Porter for the third centre spot.

My questions are:
Is Tropp all the way back from his injury?
Will Flynn or Porter be clearly better than Grigorenko and McCormick and cause a shuffle?
Will Risto or McNabb grab the sixth D spot? (Pysyk is there for sure)

Sulzer and Scott are the extra bodies.
Grigs is the only young player they keep if he's not guaranteed regular minutes.

Edited by dudacek, 13 September 2013 - 11:31 AM.


#10 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 September 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

I know.  I can't help it!  I need something to look forward to, and it can't be just hoping that Stafford finally removes head from rectum.

And is that McCormick in your avatar?

Yeah.  I am going to use Cody as my av until he's not a Sabre.

#11 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yeah.  I am going to use Cody as my av until he's not a Sabre.

Sabres property or an actual Sabre?

#12 Icehole

Icehole

    When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 September 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

My dark horse is Baptiste.

Didn't see that as a choice, but I agree.

#13 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

I need to see Girgensons and Armia in a NHL pre season game or two.  Smaller ice for one guy and bigger guys for the other.

#14 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 September 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I really want Zadorov and Ristolainen in the lineup. No Tallinder, no Ruhwedel, no McBain.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Weber, Pysyk. Tallinder as the 7th D man and player coach.

Zadorov is VERY raw. Ruhwedel looked very good in the time he got. I'm not really sure why people are writing him off when he's likely one of our best prospects.

View Postdudacek, on 13 September 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

I really think the opening lines for training camp will be how we open the season.
Tropp McCormick Kaleta looks like a bulldog fourth line.
Larsson holds off Porter for the third centre spot.

My questions are:
Is Tropp all the way back from his injury?
Will Flynn or Porter be clearly better than Grigorenko and McCormick and cause a shuffle?
Will Risto or McNabb grab the sixth D spot? (Pysyk is there for sure)

1. Yes. He was back last year (likely not 100%, but I doubt he anything less than 100% at this point).
2. No. Grigorenko will be the second line center. I don't see anything changing that outside of injury.
3. That's a question that I wish we didn't have to answer. I think they should both be on our NHL roster. There's such a logjam of NHL-ready young guys... which is why I realized I hate the Tallinder move. McBain should just be put down in Rochester. Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Risto and McNabb all deserve NHL minutes. So maybe just let Risto play in Rochester for now.

#15 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 13 September 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Sabres property or an actual Sabre?

I am going to wave the McC flag until he's not on the Sabres payroll.  I really think the 4th line is better with him on it.

#16 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostDStebb, on 13 September 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Zadorov is VERY raw. Ruhwedel looked very good in the time he got. I'm not really sure why people are writing him off when he's likely one of our best prospects.



1. Yes. He was back last year (likely not 100%, but I doubt he anything less than 100% at this point).
2. No. Grigorenko will be the second line center. I don't see anything changing that outside of injury.
3. That's a question that I wish we didn't have to answer. I think they should both be on our NHL roster. There's such a logjam of NHL-ready young guys... which is why I realized I hate the Tallinder move. McBain should just be put down in Rochester. Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Risto and McNabb all deserve NHL minutes. So maybe just let Risto play in Rochester for now.

What are these statements based on?  There has been zero NHL production from 2 out of 3 of them, and very limited production from the 3rd of them, 2 years ago and prior to a major injury.

#17 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:



What are these statements based on?  There has been zero NHL production from 2 out of 3 of them, and very limited production from the 3rd of them, 2 years ago and prior to a major injury.

Not putting words in his mouth, but an argument can be made the current lineup is ######.
Jettison the guys that aren't part of the future and let the guys that show promise sink or swim.
Not my preference, but it's a legitimate point of view.

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

What are these statements based on?  There has been zero NHL production from 2 out of 3 of them, and very limited production from the 3rd of them, 2 years ago and prior to a major injury.

I think Grigs on the second line is based purely on the roster. There's nobody else, and he doesn't fit anywhere else.

#19 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

man, that is a rough looking lineup. at least at the forward ranks. we could actually be pretty good with the D (although with a weak set of forwards, the D will suffer).

the nice thing about 2013-2014: i haven't had expectations this low for a sabres season since ... well, i'm not sure. maybe never. the upside of low expectations is that they are often exceeded.

#20 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Oh ######, it's not a public poll, so no one will know I facetiously voted for everyone.

edit: Really, damn!t is censored?  This some ######.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 13 September 2013 - 04:39 PM.


#21 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 13 September 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

man, that is a rough looking lineup. at least at the forward ranks. we could actually be pretty good with the D (although with a weak set of forwards, the D will suffer).

the nice thing about 2013-2014: i haven't had expectations this low for a sabres season since ... well, i'm not sure. maybe never. the upside of low expectations is that they are often exceeded.

I'm at a better place this year than last year.  I am really excited to see this young team.  I know they are going to struggle but I am excited anyway.

#22 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

So, Darcy said that McCormick will not be in the AHL this season.  He will either be in Buffalo or another NHL team.  If Cody is on this roster, how many games does John Scott see?  I could see Scott getting waived.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I liked having the nuclear option on the roster for certain teams.

#23 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

What are these statements based on?  There has been zero NHL production from 2 out of 3 of them, and very limited production from the 3rd of them, 2 years ago and prior to a major injury.

What TrueBlue said. They've been ranting and raving about Grigs for a while now. That's because they want the fans to buy into the fact that they're putting him on the second line. And it's the right move. Give him a REAL chance to show what he's got. Moving Ennis to wing means that he's really the only option there.

#24 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

So, Darcy said that McCormick will not be in the AHL this season.  He will either be in Buffalo or another NHL team.  If Cody is on this roster, how many games does John Scott see?  I could see Scott getting waived.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I liked having the nuclear option on the roster for certain teams.

Scott can just ride the press box or fill in when Kaleta inevitably gets hurt.

#25 Flying V

Flying V

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Do you believe that the sabres will sign gillies

#26 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostFlying V, on 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Do you believe that the sabres will sign gillies

Clark?

#27 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostFlying V, on 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Do you believe that the sabres will sign gillies
Only if they send Armia, Larsson and Girgensons down.  Unless they sign him for Rochester, that changes the dynamic.

#28 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postinkman, on 13 September 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Only if they send Armia, Larsson and Girgensons down.  Unless they sign him for Rochester, that changes the dynamic.

I assumed Gillies was destined for Rochester.

#29 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

What I am hoping shakes out in preseason:

Hodgson-Vanek-Foligno
Griggy-Ott-Leino
Larsson-Ennis-Stafford
McCormick-Tropp-Kaleta
Extras- Flynn, Scott

Ehrhoiff, Myers, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder, Ristoleinen,
Extras- Sulzer, McBain  

#30 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

I'm at a better place this year than last year.  I am really excited to see this young team.  I know they are going to struggle but I am excited anyway.

Me too.

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

So, Darcy said that McCormick will not be in the AHL this season.  He will either be in Buffalo or another NHL team.  If Cody is on this roster, how many games does John Scott see?  I could see Scott getting waived.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I liked having the nuclear option on the roster for certain teams.

This too.

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

What I am hoping shakes out in preseason:

Hodgson-Vanek-Foligno
Griggy-Ott-Leino
Larsson-Ennis-Stafford
McCormick-Tropp-Kaleta
Extras- Flynn, Scott

Ehrhoiff, Myers, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder, Ristoleinen,
Extras- Sulzer, McBain  

And this!  Although really I would like to see McNabb seize the job, making Tallinder #7 and Sulzer and McBain in Rochester.

#31 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

What I am hoping shakes out in preseason:

Hodgson-Vanek-Foligno
Griggy-Ott-Leino
Larsson-Ennis-Stafford
McCormick-Tropp-Kaleta
Extras- Flynn, Scott

Ehrhoiff, Myers, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder, Ristoleinen,
Extras- Sulzer, McBain  

Me too. Except, part of me wants to see McNabb ahead of Risto this year.
Risto will benefit from a year in the AHL. It's time McNabb made the jump.

#32 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Doug Allen sings the anthem.

Sabretooth doesn't come down a rope from the ceiling.

#33 BuffaloBorn

BuffaloBorn

    tank on..

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Vanek- Hodgson- Ennis
-Foligno- Ott- Stafford
Larsson- Leino.Grigs- Grigs/Leino-
Scott/Flynn/Tropp- Porter/McCormick-  Kaleta

(Scott should be scratched some if not most games in favor of Flynn, Tropp, or McCormick)

Erhoff- Myers
Weber- McBain
Tallinder- Pysyk

Miller
Enroth


Only things i don't like
1) I hope ennis's 165 pound body doesnt get thrashed on the first
2) grigs isn't on the second
3) i wouldnt want scott to play too much because he can't score

I think McBain and Tallinder will surprise us  in a good way

Edited by BuffaloBorn, 15 September 2013 - 01:23 PM.


#34 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postweave, on 13 September 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

I assumed Gillies was destined for Rochester.

I wonder what their AHL vet count is at though.  We seem to be mentioning a lot of older guys as potentially in the AHL, but they can only have so many on any given night.

#35 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I wonder if Gillies will end up the 3/4lw guy when all is said and done.  Not sure because I haven't seen nearly enough on him but as I said elsewhere he intrigues me at the moment but I won't hold my breath either way.

#36 Icehole

Icehole

    When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

So it looks like G Z is making a strong case for himself.  So who would he replace and would he be a center or wing.  I like the idea of him at center and put Grigerenko at wing, replacing Stafford...  could Staphyl be put on waivers... Not sure he is worth a trade.

#37 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 16 September 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

So it looks like G Z is making a strong case for himself.  So who would he replace and would he be a center or wing.  I like the idea of him at center and put Grigerenko at wing, replacing Stafford...  could Staphyl be put on waivers... Not sure he is worth a trade.
I wonder... if Zemgus will go back to Rochester to start the season with the promise that hard work will get him up to Buffalo once they clear some Roster spots.  I think we see him in Rochester getting tons of ice time for the first half of the year and then once a trade or injuries occur he steps up on the big club at wing.  He may shift to center eventually but for now in the NHL he is a winger.

#38 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Just clear the friggen log jam and send Stafford packing.

#39 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 16 September 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:


I wonder... if Zemgus will go back to Rochester to start the season with the promise that hard work will get him up to Buffalo once they clear some Roster spots.  I think we see him in Rochester getting tons of ice time for the first half of the year and then once a trade or injuries occur he steps up on the big club at wing.  He may shift to center eventually but for now in the NHL he is a winger.

I think that's the plan.

#40 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 13 September 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I really want Zadorov and Ristolainen in the lineup. No Tallinder, no Ruhwedel, no McBain.

Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Weber, Pysyk. Tallinder as the 7th D man and player coach.

I think both Risto and Zadorov end up in the A, IMO.
Atleast until a D man or 2 can be traded.