All About Sabres Marketing, Branding, Promotions, P.R.

Daily Pin #Blueprint suffering

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

I feel like I should start a thread for stuff about the Sabres' P.R. (in-game experience, social media, overall marketing, etc.).

Anyway, for those who follow the team on Twitter, you may have noticed that the feed has been using #Blueprint as a hashtag this summer in connection with posts regarding the team's prospects. Have a look yourself:

https://twitter.com/...eprint&src=hash

The hashtag started to annoy me when I saw it for the 4th or 5th time and realized it was, you know, a thing. Reason being: No one has a feckin' clue whether the current stable of prospects is, in fact, a blueprint for future success. Maybe one or two of them will become top-line/pairing players in a few years. Maybe a few others will become contributors over the same period of time. Maybe some of them will be moved to bring in NHL role players who will contribute to a team looking to sneak into the playoffs. Maybe most of them won't stick in the NHL. Maybe a lot of things.

And as a guy tweeting as 3rdmanin noted:

#Blueprint = Florida Panthers marketing campaign in 2011. #Blueprint = @BuffaloSabres idea of original marketing in 2013. #goodjobgoodeffort

View Postd4rksabre, on 10 September 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

The Sabres really are just blowing chunks in the marketing department this offseason aren't they?

I think we should definitely have a thread dedicated to PR. I bet this forum could do the job much better.

I suspect it's because the offseason. But I find myself so frequently posting content about the Sabres P.R. in so many other threads that I thought I would start a new topic about it.

At a minimum, this will keep me out of other people's threads with my whiny rants about the Sabres Twitter feed, ill-advised marketing slogans, and such.

Edited by Spndnchz, 11 September 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Our first order of business should be taking this #blueprint thing to task. As has been noted, it's already been done before.

The Sabres number one selling point right now is "the future". If you want to get fans excited about what is arguably a very good up and coming talent pool, how do you do it?

Obviously we want to involve social media, but the Sabres are failing at that task on a number of points. Maybe the first step is coming up with a better tagline for this year's campaign to promote the youth movement/rebuild. This has to be something unused in the last 10 years and something easily pushed on social media forums.

#3 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

#thefuture?

#thefutureisnow?

#thefutureishere?

+++

#prospectsaplently

#pipelineofplenty

#fullcupboard

#thepipelineisfull***

*** i mostly typed that one because i love how it would be ripped with rejoinders regarding what the pipeline is full of.

#4 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Haven't the Sabres been selling us "The Future" since Black Sunday? This isn't new, either.

#5 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

I know it's not new or creative, but I do like the "blueprint" campaign--I think it effectively gets the message across.

#6 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

#thefuture?

#thefutureisnow?

#thefutureishere?

+++

#prospectsaplently

#pipelineofplenty

#fullcupboard

#thepipelineisfull***

*** i mostly typed that one because i love how it would be ripped with rejoinders regarding what the pipeline is full of.

:lol:

Another thing to add, why didn't the Sabres make the third jersey a reflection of the #blueprint campaign? I'd think some white on blue linework/graphic inlays might have looked cool. Imagine the "cape" with a bit of a Tron look behind the number?

#7 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 10 September 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I know it's not new or creative, but I do like the "blueprint" campaign--I think it effectively gets the message across.

...that they're into the Tron look?  Because that's all I get out of it.

#8 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostSwampD, on 10 September 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Haven't the Sabres been selling us "The Future" since Black Sunday? This isn't new, either.
This is why I don't buy it for a second. Same people making the decisions. In the horse game, the easiest way to string along an owner is to pay big money for really young horses...weanlings and yearlings, or to breed yourself. You see, when you fail at having success with horses of racing age who are 3, 4 and up.....and the owner gets frustrated.....your out is to say, "Oh, these horses just weren't talented enough. If you went after higher priced horses, we would be winning a lot more!" But the problem is if the owner spends it on 2 year olds or horses already winning, then the trainer is under the gun to show results right away. If you get a stable that won't be ready to run for 2 or 3 years, the owner already spent all that money, and will be more likely to stick with you until all those horses are running. Then it will probably take another 2 years to prove that you can't train those suckers a lick either. Meanwhile....you have income for 4-5 years for boarding, training, etc. In the hockey sense, Regier has pretty much sold Pegula on the same plan. He has entrenched himself for the next 4-5 years before you get to see the full results. There's just as good of a chance they will stink as there is of success. Meanwhile Darcy collects another $8 million in salary. He already paid up for veterans on his own team and free agents....up to and over the cap on a cash outlay, and it was horrible. This scenario is why I will always be a skeptic of Darcy, not only for his talent evaluation, but for putting his survival over success.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 September 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

This is why I don't buy it for a second. Same people making the decisions. In the horse game, the easiest way to string along an owner is to pay big money for really young horses...weanlings and yearlings, or to breed yourself. You see, when you fail at having success with horses of racing age who are 3, 4 and up.....and the owner gets frustrated.....your out is to say, "Oh, these horses just weren't talented enough. If you went after higher priced horses, we would be winning a lot more!" But the problem is if the owner spends it on 2 year olds or horses already winning, then the trainer is under the gun to show results right away. If you get a stable that won't be ready to run for 2 or 3 years, the owner already spent all that money, and will be more likely to stick with you until all those horses are running. Then it will probably take another 2 years to prove that you can't train those suckers a lick either. Meanwhile....you have income for 4-5 years for boarding, training, etc. In the hockey sense, Regier has pretty much sold Pegula on the same plan. He has entrenched himself for the next 4-5 years before you get to see the full results. There's just as good of a chance they will stink as there is of success. Meanwhile Darcy collects another $8 million in salary. He already paid up for veterans on his own team and free agents....up to and over the cap on a cash outlay, and it was horrible. This scenario is why I will always be a skeptic of Darcy, not only for his talent evaluation, but for putting his survival over success.

Isn't this what most GMs do, and with legitimate reason?

#10 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 10 September 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Isn't this what most GMs do, and with legitimate reason?
Yes, but for some reason, they get removed after 4 or 5 years when it doesn't work.

#11 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostSwampD, on 10 September 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yes, but for some reason, they get removed after 4 or 5 years when it doesn't work.

I think Sabres ownership history has more to do with Darcy still being here than Darcy does. In his defense.

Additionally, I think a stable ownership provides the biggest threat to Darcy yet. Pegula may finally be the guy who owns the team long enough to get tired of Darcy.

#12 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

check the team's twitter feed. foligno at the fort erie tim hortons on garrison; hodgson et al. up in st. cat's; alumni leading an event in nf, ontario.

has there always been such a concerted effort to court the team's (hockey) fans across the border?

in all events, i think it's good business.

#Blueprint

#RussBrandonsplaybook

#13 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Maybe they want to show videos of the new guys, maybe because they think fans will be interested and will want to learn about all of the new faces on the team, since there are quite a few.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and not a penis.

Also, neat, a thread devoted to keeping PR discussion focused and out of other threads immediately gets trampled by anti-DR discussion that invades all threads.  #Dwight######sUpAgain

#14 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm not too fussed about this, but I will say that "#Blueprint" seems, IMHO, a bit self-congratulatory for a team that has missed the playoffs the last 2 years.

#15 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I heard the construction guys at HarborCenter were asked what they thought the next campaign should be.

Blueprint narrowly beat pneumatic dent puller  #blueprint #pneumaticdentpuller

#16 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 10 September 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I'm not too fussed about this, but I will say that "#Blueprint" seems, IMHO, a bit self-congratulatory for a team that has missed the playoffs the last 2 years.

Thanks for articulating it - that's part of what sticks in my craw, I think.

And as metaphors go, it's a poor one. A #blueprint is something that is foolproof (or is supposed to be) because it's a document of a technical nature that, if followed, unfailingly leads to the correct result.

Building an NHL roster? A much more hit or miss proposition.

#17 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 10 September 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

I heard the construction guys at HarborCenter were asked what they thought the next campaign should be.

Blueprint narrowly beat pneumatic dent puller  #blueprint #pneumaticdentpuller

:lol:

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Want a good one? Islanders. "A Shift in Power" Clever play on a hockey term and more than a bit of hubris.

#19 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Thanks for articulating it - that's part of what sticks in my craw, I think.

And as metaphors go, it's a poor one. A #blueprint is something that is foolproof (or is supposed to be) because it's a document of a technical nature that, if followed, unfailingly leads to the correct result.

Building an NHL roster? A much more hit or miss proposition.

Semantics.  I can draw blue print for a house that falls down when built because I designed it wrong.  Blue prints are far, far from foolproof.  Calling something a blue print isn't self congratulating.  It just indicates that somebody put a plan on paper; it's no guarantee of success.  It perhaps carries a connotation that there's some aspect that's attempted to have been well-thought out, but that's still not self-congratulating.

Maybe they went with that because they're blue chip prospects.

#20 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 September 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Semantics.  

We're sorta down a rabbit hole of figurative language, but it is a thread about PR. So what the heck.

I can draw blue print for a house that falls down when built because I designed it wrong.

You could. So could I. Are you a licensed architect or structural engineer? I am not, but I assure you that such professionals create blueprints that are based on hard science and are intended to provide those skilled in the art with a foolproof means of reaching the contemplated result.

It just indicates that somebody put a plan on paper; it's no guarantee of success.

I'm guessing you've never had a house built. I'd love to see a project architect come in and say, "Here's what I put down on paper. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. No guarantees, as they say."

There's a reason that the idiom a blueprint for disaster exists; it's because the existence of a blueprint indicates that, if the plans are followed, there is a certainty of getting what's been put down on (the blue) paper.

#21 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

We're sorta down a rabbit hole of figurative language, but it is a thread about PR. So what the heck.

You could. So could I. Are you a licensed architect or structural engineer? I am not, but I assure you that such professionals create blueprints that are based on hard science and are intended to provide those skilled in the art with a foolproof means of reaching the contemplated result.

But can that licensed architect build the building and run the hotel?  Isn't that what some are saying that they are correlated?

And FWIW, PR is different than commercializing or promoting.  It's simply to make the public aware of who's who and what's what and get some goodwill.  We're talking about them and any news is still news, so...

#22 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 10 September 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

But can that licensed architect build the building and run the hotel?

Maybe. That's a talented sorta architect if s/he can. That's not the point. The point is: An architect can draft a plan, on paper, that will predictably and reliably yield or create the end-product that the owner requested.

View PostSpndnchz, on 10 September 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

And FWIW, PR is different than commercializing or promoting.  It's simply to make the public aware of who's who and what's what and get some goodwill.  We're talking about them and any news is still news, so...

As soon as I posted the Topic, I wanted to modify it to be broader (marketing, promoting, and such). But I can't recall/figure out how to edit Topic titles. Can I do that?

Edited by That Aud Smell, 10 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#23 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Maybe. That's a talented sorta architect if s/he can. That's not the point. The point is: An architect can draft a plan, on paper, that will predictably and reliably yield or create the end-product that the owner requested.

[/size]

As soon as I posted the Topic, I wanted to modify it to be broader (marketing, promoting, and such). But I can't recall/figure out how to edit Topic titles. Can I do that?
You need to go to your first post in the thread and edit that, than click on Use Full Editor or whatever is, you should be able to do it that way

As for the Blueprint thing, I really don't care what they call it, it is nice to have Sabres out in the community doing stuff

Edited by LGR4GM, 10 September 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#24 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 10 September 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

You need to go to your first post in the thread and edit that, than click on Use Full Editor or whatever is, you should be able to do it that way

thanks, liger.

and i agree, that it's good work on their part to have players out in the community (they've been out in force the last week or so).

#25 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Got it.  So, anyone who calls anything a blue print needs to be a licensed professional, because to call something a blue print necessarily requires accredited professionalism with regard to the project being planned.

Posted Image
:w00t:

Petey and Hodgson were chilling with sick kids at a Niagara hospital the other day and someone took pictures.  What self-congratulating thing did they call that?

View PostLGR4GM, on 10 September 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

As for the Blueprint thing, I really don't care what they call it, it is nice to have Sabres out in the community doing stuff

#26 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think I have a new project.......

#27 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 September 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

Got it.  So, anyone who calls anything a blue print needs to be a licensed professional, because to call something a blue print necessarily requires accredited professionalism with regard to the project being planned.

Posted Image
:w00t:

Petey and Hodgson were chilling with sick kids at a Niagara hospital the other day and someone took pictures.  What self-congratulating thing did they call that?

I'm on a mobile, so pardon the unwieldy formatting.

You're losing traction in the debate by engaging in hyperbole and absurdism. I did not say that people who use the term need to be licensed professionals. I said that the term "blueprint" denotes and connotes something in the nature of a drawing or a plan that is fully and reasonably expected to deliver a known and knowable outcome. again, it's a shite metaphor for any hockey team touting its prospects and especially so for a team with such an uncertain future.

Your reference to "Petey" and "Hodger" (it's Hodger, eh?) and their photo op is non-sensical in this connection. That sort of stuff is non-hockey in nature -- community relations type stuff. It's good that they do it, but it's not going to help us win games or build a winner. (If you're going to say that that sort of stuff is in fact a part of the #Blueprint for building a winning hockey team, then please don't. Every single NHL team engages in those sorts of laudable activities -- it's not a difference maker.)

edit: i will point out that your #blueprint does, in fact, comprise a drawing that provides a clear plan for reliably delivering a certain outcome. if only assembling a hockey team were so easy.

edit 2: another thought on chz's point. from a metaphorical standpoint, chz got to talking about whether the *business plan* for that hotel (for which someone created a series of blueprints before it was built to spec) would work. that's a different issue. i think "business plans" are in fact more like creating a winning hockey team.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 10 September 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I'm on a mobile, so pardon the unwieldy formatting.

You're losing traction in the debate by engaging in hyperbole and absurdism. I did not say that people who use the term need to be licensed professionals. I said that the term "blueprint" denotes and connotes something in the nature of a drawing or a plan that is fully and reasonably expected to deliver a known and knowable outcome. again, it's a shite metaphor for any hockey team touting its prospects and especially so for a team with such an uncertain future.

Your reference to "Petey" and "Hodger" (it's Hodger, eh?) and their photo op is non-sensical in this connection. That sort of stuff is non-hockey in nature -- community relations type stuff. It's good that they do it, but it's not going to help us win games or build a winner. (If you're going to say that that sort of stuff is in fact a part of the #Blueprint for building a winning hockey team, then please don't. Every single NHL team engages in those sorts of laudable activities -- it's not a difference maker.)

edit: i will point out that your #blueprint does, in fact, comprise a drawing that provides a clear plan for reliably delivering a certain outcome. if only assembling a hockey team were so easy.

edit 2: another thought on chz's point. from a metaphorical standpoint, chz got to talking about whether the *business plan* for that hotel (for which someone created a series of blueprints before it was built to spec) would work. that's a different issue. i think "business plans" are in fact more like creating a winning hockey team.

Great post. Perhaps we can steer this thread back on track now?

#29 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 10 September 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

I think I have a new project.......

What's new about it?

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 10 September 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Where is Toyoko?

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 10 September 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

I said that the term "blueprint" denotes and connotes something in the nature of a drawing or a plan that is fully and reasonably expected to deliver a known and knowable outcome. again, it's a shite metaphor for any hockey team touting its prospects and especially so for a team with such an uncertain future.

Don't backpedal on your verbs.  Your original statement is incorrect, and there's no way around it.

Your reference to "Petey" and "Hodger" (it's Hodger, eh?) and their photo op is non-sensical in this connection. That sort of stuff is non-hockey in nature -- community relations type stuff. It's good that they do it, but it's not going to help us win games or build a winner.

As is a series of videos of preseason interviews with players.  (Ugh, I hope it's not Hodger, but knowing this team... Hodgsy? Blech.)

I'm not trying to be a dick with this nitpickery, but getting uppity over the use of a particular word used as the hashtag title of a video series...

You're losing traction in the debate by engaging in hyperbole and absurdism.

Anyways, what's up with marketing?

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 10 September 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#31 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

I'm with Aud on this one. Physics is just being argumentative. "I can draw blue print for a house that falls down…" Really?

I'm sure you have never heard the phrase "blueprint for success" either.

It's presumptive, prematurely self congratulatory, and annoying. But then again, aren't all hashtags annoying (in fact, I personally find the term hashtag beyond obnoxious).

I can't believe I commented on f####n Twitter.

#32 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

I suppose everyone would be happier if they came out and said they don't have a plan, or that they do, and its success is based mostly on luck. I honestly and truly don't understand how saying they have a plan is presumptive or self-congratulatory.

#33 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 10 September 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

[/size]

Don't backpedal on your verbs.  Your original statement is incorrect, and there's no way around it.

As is a series of videos of preseason interviews with players.  (Ugh, I hope it's not Hodger, but knowing this team... Hodgsy? Blech.)

I'm not trying to be a dick with this nitpickery, but getting uppity over the use of a particular word used as the hashtag title of a video series...

Anyways, what's up with marketing?

ho, ho - some cross-examination with support from a dictionary. good on ya. I'll stand pat with whaI i said. blueprints are, are supposed to be, foolproof, overwhelmingly predictive of a contemplated outcome, if they aren't they fail of their essential purpose, and the term denotes and connotes the same.

I'm a word guy. And the #blueprint branding on social media irks me. I accept that I may be in a small minority on that.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 11 September 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

I suppose everyone would be happier if they came out and said they don't have a plan, or that they do, and its success is based mostly on luck. I honestly and truly don't understand how saying they have a plan is presumptive or self-congratulatory.

I'd be happieir if they were working a slogan that more properly reckoned with the task at hand.

you say they're only saying they have a plan. I'd say they're saying quite a bit more by using the word they are.

but, yeah -- moving on.

#34 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

It's a frickin twitter hashtag fer cryin out loud.  It's not supposed to be profound or anything.

Edited by weave, 11 September 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#35 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Postweave, on 11 September 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

It's a frickin twitter hashtag fer cryin out loud.  It's not supposed to be profound or anything.

fair deuce.

even at that, though, marketing/branding nowadays is more and more (and more (And more)) about social media. I think my irritation traces to the idea that #Blueprint got run up a flagpole and people saluted. Not sure it went as high as TB, but I wouldn't be surprised.

#36 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

you want to know a stupid tag? #billsmafia  lets talk about that atrocity.  As for #Blueprint I don't care.  They Sabres have been increasing the amount of extra things they do for the fans over the last couple years from Beyond Blue n Gold, to #blueprint stuff and I like the extras.  Honestly they could call it #iguaranteethecup and I wouldn't care.  But then again i ignore hashtags and really care more about content.

#37 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 11 September 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

you want to know a stupid tag? #billsmafia  lets talk about that atrocity.  As for #Blueprint I don't care.  They Sabres have been increasing the amount of extra things they do for the fans over the last couple years from Beyond Blue n Gold, to #blueprint stuff and I like the extras.  Honestly they could call it #iguaranteethecup and I wouldn't care.  But then again i ignore hashtags and really care more about content.
The thought of tweets and content makes me chuckle.

#38 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

A thread about marketing!  This makes me happy.   :D

#39 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostSwampD, on 10 September 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

I'm with Aud on this one. Physics is just being argumentative. "I can draw blue print for a house that falls down…" Really?

I'm sure you have never heard the phrase "blueprint for success" either.

It's presumptive, prematurely self congratulatory, and annoying. But then again, aren't all hashtags annoying (in fact, I personally find the term hashtag beyond obnoxious).

I can't believe I commented on f####n Twitter.

Soon, you will be Tweeting. We all will be. #slipperyslope

#40 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 11 September 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

you want to know a stupid tag? #billsmafia lets talk about that atrocity. As for #Blueprint I don't care. They Sabres have been increasing the amount of extra things they do for the fans over the last couple years from Beyond Blue n Gold, to #blueprint stuff and I like the extras. Honestly they could call it #iguaranteethecup and I wouldn't care. But then again i ignore hashtags and really care more about content.

more than fair.

one nit: #billsmafia was created by a group of tweeting fans and isn't, as far as i know, something that the team endorses in any way. but, yeah - blechk.

you raise a good point about the team doing more and different things - beyond blue and gold is just aces (and, yeah, it has its own thread (as it should)).

i saw a link about how the bruins host a "state of the bruins" event, where buffalo's own jeremy jacobs speaks as well as neely (and, i suspect, others).

Posted Image

not sure now's the time for the sabres to roll that out, but it's an interesting idea.

i'd like to see them take a hack at a return of in-game goofiness via digital shorts. like warrener's corner (was that it?) meets fu man drew.

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 September 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Soon, you will be Tweeting. We all will be. #slipperyslope

i have come to rely on twitter for a lot. i've created a list on my account called "newspapers" -- it's just tweet after tweet from a variety of (non paywall) news sources. little wonder actual newspapers are struggling to find their place among new media.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Daily Pin, #Blueprint, suffering