56 replies to this topic

#1 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

A few friends and I are planning a road trip down the US east coast next summer. So if you guys have any tips/places to visit (especially smaller/more obscure and unique ones) please let me know :)

#2 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

How long? Where do you start? Only down the coast or how far you willing to go inland? What do you guys like (sports?, history?, food?) How's the budget for lodging, etc.? What timeframe?

I'm sure you will get tons of ideas.

#3 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

It's neither small nor obscure, but Virginia Beach is awesome. And spending a day in DC is absolutely worth it.

#4 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Start and finish up in Bar Harbor, Maine ... with nothing in between.

#5 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,441 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

If you do spend a day or two in DC--and you should--try Annapolis, about 45 minutes away by car, for the best crabs you ever will eat.  Grab a dozen of them, a wooden mallet, a bib, and an ice-cold beer, and get to work.

#6 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Sport and history are good topics. Kinda cultural stuff. We are going for a month. At the moment a bare plan is forming of going Boston to NYC to Philly to Washington to Virigina to North Carolina (out banks area?) to Savannah (my order might be wrong here, my geography breaks down around the south) maybe charleston eventually to Orlando then probably onto the I98 for a speedy return to the airport.

Is anything in Buffalo? Obviously Niagara is near but as the Sabres won't be playing and it isn't football season either (right? - July) is it worth a visit? I have been the before, but that was basically just for a Sabres game

#7 Tom Backyard

Tom Backyard

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

You can't go wrong traveling along the South Carolina low country from Charleston and down into Savannah Georgia.  St. Augustine Florida isn't too far away from Savannah and that's a jewel too.  

Lots of history and beautiful scenery.

The ladies in Charleston are an extra added bonus.

#8 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostTom Backyard, on 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

You can't go wrong traveling along the South Carolina low country from Charleston and down into Savannah Georgia.  St. Augustine Florida isn't too far away from Savannah and that's a jewel too.  

Just don't forget to stop in Columbia SC to see the World's Biggest Kid.

#9 rakish

rakish

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

If you like painting, the Metropolitan Museum in New York is my favorite, Guggenheim has novelty because of the building, but is tiny
Air and Space in DC is good
If you like baseball, I would see it in Boston
Niagara Falls is great
If you like auto racing, I would see the Daytona Nascar race or the Talledaga race, maybe Richmond
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, from Brooklyn into the city,
Walk from the North end of Central Park to Wall Street
If you are allowed to climb the statue of liberty, you must be on the first boat of the day.
If there is a cuisine you can't get at home, you can find it in NY
In my neighborhood, Monticello is good.  Yorktown gives you a good feeling of space, as does Appomattox, because these three are relatively the same as they were 200 years ago. Avoid Williamsburg

Beware the South during the summer

#10 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostRCentered, on 01 September 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

If you like painting, the Metropolitan Museum in New York is my favorite, Guggenheim has novelty because of the building, but is tiny
Air and Space in DC is good
If you like baseball, I would see it in Boston
Niagara Falls is great
If you like auto racing, I would see the Daytona Nascar race or the Talledaga race, maybe Richmond
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, from Brooklyn into the city,
Walk from the North end of Central Park to Wall Street
If you are allowed to climb the statue of liberty, you must be on the first boat of the day.
If there is a cuisine you can't get at home, you can find it in NY
In my neighborhood, Monticello is good.  Yorktown gives you a good feeling of space, as does Appomattox, because these three are relatively the same as they were 200 years ago. Avoid Williamsburg

Beware the South during the summer

Because of the heat?

Although this probably needs to be cut down because of timing - this is what I have made so far:

Boston/Massachusetts
Cape Cod
Harvard
Freedom Trail
Duck Tour
Fenway park - baseball game?
Museum of African American
Museum of Science
New England Aquarium

Rhode Island
Newport

New York
Broadway show
Ground Zero
Ellis Island
Statue of Liberty
Central Park
Un Building
Empite State Building
Sleepy Hollow
American Museum of Natural History

Philadelphia/Pennsylvania
Liberty Bell
Independence Hall
Franklin Court
American Philosophical Society Museum
Declaration House
Gettysburg
Eastern Pennsylvania State Pen
Cherry Springs State Park

Washington DC
The White House
Capitol Building
US Supreme Court
Arlington National Cemetery
Monuments/Memorials (African American Civil War Memorial/Museum, DC War Memorial, Eisenhower Memorial, FDR Memorial, Washington Monument, George Mason Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Lyndon Johnson Memorial Grove, MLK National Memorial, National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, pentagon Memorial, Teddy Roosevelt Island, US Air Force Memorial, US Holocaust Memorial Museum, US Navy Memorial Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Women in Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial)
Smithsonian Institute
Georgetown
Great Falls Park
Old Town Alexandria

Virginia
Jamestown
Monticello
Virginia Beach
Richmond

North Carolina
The Outer Banks - Wright Brothers
Beaufort
Asheville - Biltmore Estate
Roanoke Colony
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

South Carolina
Charleston - Boone Plantation Hall
Beaufort

Georgia
Savannah
Tybee Island

Florida
St Augustine
Daytona Beach
Jacksonville
Kennedy Space Centre

#11 rakish

rakish

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, July in the South is hot

#12 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,426 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 01 September 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Start and finish up in Bar Harbor, Maine ... with nothing in between.

Hells no. Not now. Everything closes after Labor Day.

#13 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Ocean City, MD

Cape May, NJ

Atlantic City

All 3 are extremely close to each other.

#14 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

Sounds like fun.

Maybe as you get closer, people can give you some restaurant tips.

A couple additions....if you are walking NY, you might as well head into Chinatown/Little Italy. Grab some Peking Duck, and Uncle Vito has a few friends on Mulberry St who can point out a nice gravy and some cannoli and lemon ice.

In Boston, a cool place is the Isabella Gardener Museum. If anyone is Catholic, it's a must see as it has probably billions in art, sculptures, etc. Amazing. Cool nonetheless.

You might as well spend an afternoon in Baltimore. Try to get to Camden Yards which was the start of the stadium revolution here....I'd be happy standing in right field and drinking beer for $8. Then you can go to the inner harbor and get some crabs and such. I agree that Boston would be the #1 locale to see a game though.

If you make it all the way down the Florida coast, there are a few nice places and clusters in Miami/Lauderdale. If you like fishing, I would suggest going halfway down the Keyes to Islamarada. Great deep sea fishing and laid back, but much cheaper than Key West.

This is a great idea. I regret not spending a month or so in Europe yet while I am still young.

#15 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Oh...and a couple more...

If you can time July 4th in either Boston or Washington, that would be sweet. The entire city of Boston turns into a giant party for the weekend, and if you go down to the water the Boston Pops plays at the Esplanade with a giant fireworks show. DC....one of the coolest moments of my life was sitting on the Capitol steps for a Memorial Day concert. It was pre-9/11 so I don't know how strict it is now, but to wander the Capitol before and sit right under the Marine playing Taps...and all the majestic music and military there....it was something. I'm sure you guys would appreciate it if there.

And make sure you give yourselves a whole afternoon just for the Smithsonian. The Air+Space is awesome, and I always go there when in town. Another neat thing is to wait until night to visit some of the monuments. They are lit up, and not many people are around. Another special moment was being the only people at Iwo Jima at like 10PM after having a few beers. There was a crisp breeze and to just be there alone to take it in and reflect was special.

#16 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostRCentered, on 01 September 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Yeah, July in the South is hot

Yep mid-June to late August is no fun down here. Labor Day weekend was brutally fuggy.

#17 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 01 September 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Ocean City, MD

Cape May, NJ

Atlantic City

All 3 are extremely close to each other.

IMHO, the best place for him to stop and get a drink... or ten... is Dewey Beach, DE, which is between OC and Cape May.  Full on debauchery all summer long.

#18 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostPotato, on 03 September 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

IMHO, the best place for him to stop and get a drink... or ten... is Dewey Beach, DE, which is between OC and Cape May.  Full on debauchery all summer long.

I must have been there on a slow day a few weeks ago, not much debauchery. :-(

Phildelphia has several good places to find beer, if that's of interest. Also, Norfolk/Portsmouth, VA has a bunch of history (Navy, mostly), and a fantastic German place (The Bier Garden) within walking distance of a few hotels. If you're going to the outer banks, it's "on the way".

#19 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostTom Backyard, on 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Savannah is great and I recommend spending at least a couple days here (no open container laws).

If you do want Beer, swing over to Asheville NC, not sure how out of your way it would be but great beer town and I am planning a trip there soon.

#20 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys! I am aiming to be in Boston over 4th because it makes sense to be where it all kicked off (i'm also very tempted to buy a red coat to show who i support :P)!

I'm also trying to drive as many scenic roads as possible (the list of national byway things). However this makes North Carolina a bitch as atm i am driving from Vriginia to Richmond to virginia beach/Outer Banks to Richmond to the start of the skyline drive (or whatever it is called)

The only thing i know about Baltimore is what the wire taught me, which is why i originally avoided it :D - i'll add it back in. Im gonna try and hit the NJ/DE bars section as well.

Keep the tips coming guys :)

Edited by ThirtyEight, 03 September 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#21 Loyalty

Loyalty

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

If you make it to rochester ny and need a place to party and crash, let me know.

#22 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,808 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Thanks for all the tips guys! I am aiming to be in Boston over 4th because it makes sense to be where it all kicked off (i'm also very tempted to buy a red coat to show who i support :P)!

I'm also trying to drive as many scenic roads as possible (the list of national byway things). However this makes North Carolina a bitch as atm i am driving from Vriginia to Richmond to virginia beach/Outer Banks to Richmond to the start of the skyline drive (or whatever it is called)

The only thing i know about Baltimore is what the wire taught me, which is why i originally avoided it :D - i'll add it back in. Im gonna try and hit the NJ/DE bars section as well.

Keep the tips coming guys :)

The killiing fields of Baltimore is worth a stop,  The Inner Harbor is safe and compact.  You can see what every tourist sees in 1/2 day.  I would then use the balance of the day to stop in Annapolis and see that (as recommended above).  Annapolis is an afternoon and then off to DC for a night tour of the monuments.  DC at night, under the lights, without the throngs is worth doing.  Then come back in the day and do what ever monuments/musuems you want to.  DC is an all day or two.

#23 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Don't forget to stop at South of the Border.

"You never sausage a place"

#24 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 03 September 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

If you do want Beer, swing over to Asheville NC, not sure how out of your way it would be but great beer town and I am planning a trip there soon.

View PostThirtyEight, on 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Red coat would be awesome, BTW. :)

I'm a little confused as to your route there, but I think I have the gist. What might be fun is if you're going to Boston for the "Start", Yorktown, VA is between VA beach and Richmond, and where it effectively "ended". Jamestown VA is nearby, and that's the first permanent settlement in the US, another start (if I remember right).

Interesting that you're hitting Skyline drive (if we're talking about the same one, between Wanyeboro, VA at the South end and North end at Front Royal, VA). I've never done Skyline, but it turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway at the south end. I've done the BRP end to end (but not all at once), and it's a nice drive (similar to Skyline, from what I hear). I'd be really tempted to run from VA Beach to Asheville NC (1 day drive, stop in Greensboro NC for lunch). Then, Asheville to Skyline via the BRP (another day or so). Skyline can take awhile, since the speed limit is 35 and the rangers are strict. BRP is 35 and 45, but a little less strict. I love Asheville NC as well. I spent a couple days there last summer, and I'm heading down this February.

Oh, and if you do go VA Beach to Skyline directly, US17 and VA3 are nicer roads than the interstates (M-roads). They're generally 4 lanes (Dual Carriageway?), but hilly and a little windy and run thru towns. You can still make time on them, but they're more interesting. There's some great twisty backroads around there too, if you like that sort of thing I'll recommend a few.

Edited by MattPie, 04 September 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#25 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

View Postwjag, on 04 September 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

The killiing fields of Baltimore is worth a stop,  The Inner Harbor is safe and compact.  You can see what every tourist sees in 1/2 day.  I would then use the balance of the day to stop in Annapolis and see that (as recommended above).  Annapolis is an afternoon and then off to DC for a night tour of the monuments.  DC at night, under the lights, without the throngs is worth doing.  Then come back in the day and do what ever monuments/musuems you want to.  DC is an all day or two.

In NYC, I'd disagree with GoDD on Chinatown and Little Italy.  Chinatown is gross, especially in the summer, and there is plenty of good Italian food (and Chinese, for that matter) all over.  For food, I would highly recommend Katz's deli (the famous fake ###### scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed there) for pastrami and sour pickles, and John's pizza on Bleeker street (which you can combine with a stroll through the West Village, including NYU, Washington Square Park and the playground legend west 4th St. "cage" basketball courts).

I'd also recommend a walk up the High Line (an elevated garden overlooking the Hudson River) and the combo theater district double-decker bus/water taxi tour (although it's a touristy thing, it's still pretty fun -- I've taken visitors on it and everyone likes it -- the water taxi will take you to ground zero and a few other good spots).  Also, since you've got museums on your itinerary generally, you should go to the Met and the Guggenheim, which are within a few blocks of each other on 5th Ave. (which is the eastern border of central park, where the truly stinking rich people in NYC live), and the MOMA, which is close to the southern border of central park.  These are quite literally 3 of the best museums in the world.

Definitely get a cheese steak at Pat's or Geno's (or both, if you're man enough) in Philly.

I'd skip Baltimore unless you have a thing for aquariums or the Orioles.  Camden Yards is nice but at this point the retro baseball stadiums are a dime a dozen.  I'd go to Annapolis over Baltimore.

I agree with the DC monuments at night -- they are beautiful and it's much less hot and crowded.  The other museums in DC are also really good and are mostly free.  However, the weather in DC in the summer is putrid, plus it's crowded and the food stinks so I would pack as much in to a short period as possible and GTFO of town.

In NC, they aren't on the coast, but Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are only 15 minutes from each other and are both beautiful campuses.

One more thing:  for travel between Boston and DC, try to travel either late at night or early in the AM.  The traffic is heavy and constant.

Have a great time.

#26 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

If you're a Seinfeld fan, be sure to hit up the coffee shop from the show while in NYC. If you're not a Seinfeld fan...well, you should be.

#27 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 04 September 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

In NYC, I'd disagree with GoDD on Chinatown and Little Italy.  Chinatown is gross, especially in the summer, and there is plenty of good Italian food (and Chinese, for that matter) all over.  For food, I would highly recommend Katz's deli (the famous fake ###### scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed there) for pastrami and sour pickles

I disagree with this heavily. Carnegie Deli is far more superior to Katz's.

Katz's is the more well known name, but Carnegie is better.

Serendipity III is great too.

#28 nfreeman

nfreeman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 04 September 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Every word of this is as wrong as wrong can be.

Having said that, the road trip crew will certainly get a great meal at Carnegie.

#29 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 04 September 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Serendipity III is great too.

View Postnfreeman, on 05 September 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Every word of this is as wrong as wrong can be.

Having said that, the road trip crew will certainly get a great meal at Carnegie.

:D I am tempted to try and go to both and determine the winner of this argument

#30 nfreeman

nfreeman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 05 September 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

:D I am tempted to try and go to both and determine the winner of this argument

That would be a strong move indeed.  I would not do both in the same day though.

#31 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 05 September 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

That would be a strong move indeed.  I would not do both in the same day though.

Do halves with a buddy. I did this a couple times with cheesesteaks. At Pat's and Geno's, we ordered one sandwich at one place, split it, then go to the other place. I did a cheesesteak ride some years ago. 10 people, 5 places, 2 cheesesteaks total at each place, so over the course of 4-5 hours I ate 2 cheesesteaks. Not that bad.

FWIW, the ride included scoring, and Tony Luke's in South Philly was the best in Philly, and a little place out here in King of Prussia won overall (although it was the first place we went, so that might skew the results).

#32 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

You might want to make it a 3 month trip if you try to get to all these places.

#33 nfreeman

nfreeman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostMattPie, on 05 September 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Do halves with a buddy. I did this a couple times with cheesesteaks. At Pat's and Geno's, we ordered one sandwich at one place, split it, then go to the other place. I did a cheesesteak ride some years ago. 10 people, 5 places, 2 cheesesteaks total at each place, so over the course of 4-5 hours I ate 2 cheesesteaks. Not that bad.

FWIW, the ride included scoring, and Tony Luke's in South Philly was the best in Philly, and a little place out here in King of Prussia won overall (although it was the first place we went, so that might skew the results).

That sounds like a plan.

BTW, for anyone road-tripping to Philly for a game, Tony Luke's is pretty close to the football stadium and the hockey arena (still a drive, but only a few minutes).

#34 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

Katz's:

Attached File  image.jpg   64.48K   16 downloads

Carnegie:

Attached File  image.jpg   62.99K   14 downloads

What is the debate?

#35 nfreeman

nfreeman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 06 September 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

Katz's:

Attachment image.jpg

Carnegie:

Attachment image.jpg

What is the debate?

Anyone who orders a turkey-and-American-cheese at either of those 2 delis is not to be taken seriously.

#36 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 06 September 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Anyone who orders a turkey-and-American-cheese at either of those 2 delis is not to be taken seriously.

No kidding. If you're there, you better be ordering the interesting stuff, like hard salami or (one of my favorites) beef tongue.

#37 nfreeman

nfreeman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostMattPie, on 06 September 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

No kidding. If you're there, you better be ordering the interesting stuff, like hard salami or (one of my favorites) beef tongue.

Pastrami is the thing to order at Katz's.  It's their specialty and is fantastic (and is unlike any other pastrami I've had anywhere else.)

Pretty much anything will be very good at Carnegie -- but not transformative like Katz's pastrami.

#38 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostMattPie, on 04 September 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Red coat would be awesome, BTW. :)

I'm a little confused as to your route there, but I think I have the gist. What might be fun is if you're going to Boston for the "Start", Yorktown, VA is between VA beach and Richmond, and where it effectively "ended". Jamestown VA is nearby, and that's the first permanent settlement in the US, another start (if I remember right).

Interesting that you're hitting Skyline drive (if we're talking about the same one, between Wanyeboro, VA at the South end and North end at Front Royal, VA). I've never done Skyline, but it turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway at the south end. I've done the BRP end to end (but not all at once), and it's a nice drive (similar to Skyline, from what I hear). I'd be really tempted to run from VA Beach to Asheville NC (1 day drive, stop in Greensboro NC for lunch). Then, Asheville to Skyline via the BRP (another day or so). Skyline can take awhile, since the speed limit is 35 and the rangers are strict. BRP is 35 and 45, but a little less strict. I love Asheville NC as well. I spent a couple days there last summer, and I'm heading down this February.

Oh, and if you do go VA Beach to Skyline directly, US17 and VA3 are nicer roads than the interstates (M-roads). They're generally 4 lanes (Dual Carriageway?), but hilly and a little windy and run thru towns. You can still make time on them, but they're more interesting. There's some great twisty backroads around there too, if you like that sort of thing I'll recommend a few.

I love that area. Once you get there, there doesn't even need to be any set destinations. Just drive, the beauty presents itself.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 06 September 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#39 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 06 September 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

I happen to be a fan of turkey and bacon. What of it?

#40 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

He said hard salami.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic