#1 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Still no contract but he was on TSN 1050 this morning to say:

I'd like to be there, you know, for a few years at least," Hodgson said.  "I really like the organization.  I like the team, the players.  We've got a really good, young team that's full of good people with good character.  So, we're only going to get better and I want to be a part of that in the future."

Listen here:

#2 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

smart kid.. playing it down the middle. learning to be diplomatic.. sounds like he is looking for a shorter contract  than maybe management wants.("few years").he knows that another sucessful year (numbers wise) with Vanek and his value goes up............ again.(a full season of numbers this time) He also knows without him those numbers will be harder to get on the Sabres. I think Vanek really likes the kid , he speaks highly of him too.

Your numbers are the quality of your life at this level. His agent is playing it smart ....so far.

I think if you are representing the kid you have to tread water until you can read the Sabres direction. The biggest piece of that for his client is Vanek.. i go for the shortest contract term possible , until the tea leaves settle .

two years would be my absolute max. then a full year with vanek....higher numbers ...higher value..Then ...pay me or trade me options.

The problem for the sabres is what does Cody look like playing with 2nd or third line talent or the children  that replace Pom and Vanek on the first line. We had a glimpse of production last year when Vanek was off that line and after Pom left.

Edited by waldo, 22 August 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#3 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

This is an interesting dilemma for both the teams and players like Hodgson , Kadri, and Stepan. On one hand a "bridge" contact makes sense. On the other hand having the future secure is appealing.

In my mind, assuming proper insurance is available, a player who truly believes in himself should understand a short term, two year deal is advisable.

There are some who believe that the cap could rise near $90 million within 3 to 4 years. Third liners could be making $4 million per.

#4 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like Cody likes being a Sabre and playing with Vanek.  When he resigns I hope it put him and the Sabres in a position to sign him long term in the near future.  I think we see a 2-3yr deal in the 3.25-3.5mil range.

#5 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Landeskog getting a 7 year 5.5 mill deal worries me.  He puts up less points than Cody.

Or Bryan Little, 5 years 4.7 per.

Or Sam Gagner , 3 years at 4.8 per.

#6 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 21 August 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

I think we see a 2-3yr deal in the 3.25-3.5mil range.

Not sure he'll be that low.  Bryan Little (12th overall, 2006) signed with Winnipeg for 5 years / $4.7M, had 32 points last year.   Compare to Hodgson's 34 points, although Little played against (advanced) statistically "harder competition."  Chris Stewart (18th overall, 2006) signed with the Blues for 2 years / $4.15M after putting up 36 points.

$3.3M for 5 years buys you somebody like Josh Bailey (Islanders, 9th overall, 2008), who was on pace for 24 points in 48 games this season.

edit: Chz was quick.

Also, Hodgson and his agent can see his likely future with the team: #1 center.  It will be in their interest to approach negotiation with that in mind, and the Sabres, with so much cap room and limited alternatives, should be prepared to pay.  All we can hope is that Cody continues to develop, perform, and not go full retardTimmay Connolly.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 21 August 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#7 rakish

rakish

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Bryan Little has 6 years experience, meaning that the 5 year contract bought 1 RFA year and 4 UFA years.  Cody Hodgson will likely sign a contract that leaves him an RFA, thus Little is not a comparable.

Gagner has 6 years experience ...

The best I got off the top of my head is Tyler Ennis, 5.6 for 2, or any of the other four 23 year old centers RFA, Kadri, Stepan ...

#8 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 21 August 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Landeskog getting a 7 year 5.5 mill deal worries me.  He puts up less points than Cody.

Yea, but Landeskog actually plays a complete game. I've gone back and forth on this, but I want Hodgson signed long term. I think if we get him for 5 years, whatever the dollar figure looks like will look pretty awesome in just a couple years.

#9 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 21 August 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

I think if we get him for 5 years, whatever the dollar figure looks like will look pretty awesome in just a couple years.

Agreed, especially as it's expected the salary cap will likely start to trend upwards into ridiculousness.

#10 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 21 August 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Yea, but Landeskog actually plays a complete game. I've gone back and forth on this, but I want Hodgson signed long term. I think if we get him for 5 years, whatever the dollar figure looks like will look pretty awesome in just a couple years.

You'll have to overpay for anything over 3. I don't think they're willing to do that. If. If he ends up sucking with no Vanek you're screwed with a guy making 5 million for two or three years.

He takes three years 10.5mill total or he sits imo.

#11 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 21 August 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

You'll have to overpay for anything over 3. I don't think they're willing to do that. If. If he ends up sucking with no Vanek you're screwed with a guy making 5 million for two or three years.

He takes three years 10.5mill total or he sits imo.

And if he ends up being really good either way, you have a bargain contract.  I'm willing to take that chance...of course, you may be right that he'd rather have a short term thing.

#12 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

View Postwaldo, on 21 August 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

smart kid.. playing it down the middle. learning to be diplomatic.. sounds like he is looking for a shorter contract  than maybe management wants.("few years").

I think if you are representing the kid you have to tread water until you can read the Sabres direction. The biggest piece of that for his client is Vanek.. Short contract , until the tea leaves settle .

Funny, I read the bolded the opposite way — that he wanted a longer term commitment so he can cement his talent as a number one centre with a growing team and capitalize with homerun as a UFA in his next deal.

But your next sentence does make some sense as well.

The Sabres probably want three so they have more control over his next contract.

#13 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 21 August 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

There is absolutely no truth to this statement what so ever.

#14 rakish

rakish

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

There's an interesting article in myhockeybuzz, of all places, about the cap.  The writer's belief is that teams will have excess cap space after the season starts, since it is optimal to put injured players on the injury list after the final list is complete.

If true, I wonder if the group of 5 RFA's (Hodgson,Kadri,Henrique...) will wait until that time to see if an offer sheet goes out.  Philly has Pronger, Boston has Savard,

I think in the end Chz and Liger are right, it'll be about 3.5 for 3

#15 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm sorry people I like Hodgson and I wouldn't give him 5mil for 3yrs.  This is his 2nd contract and he has 1 48 game stretch to prove his worth.  I think Cody will be good but DR and company need to stop paying for potential and put their foot down.  Pay him for what he has done and give him a bridge contract until his big payday.

#16 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 22 August 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

There is absolutely no truth to this statement what so ever.

They are almost identical in production over the last 2 years. 69 pts each, 118 games for Gabe, 119 games for Cody.

#17 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 22 August 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I'm sorry people I like Hodgson and I wouldn't give him 5mil for 3yrs.  This is his 2nd contract and he has 1 48 game stretch to prove his worth.  I think Cody will be good but DR and company need to stop paying for potential and put their foot down.  Pay him for what he has done and give him a bridge contract until his big payday.

Everyone pays on potential. The trick is being right and being able to project the market, things that on the whole this team has missed on.
If he agrees to a bridge deal like Ennis and turns into the number one center I think he can be it wi cost you $8 million per in 2 years.
You get him to agree to $5.5 per, you will be in a much better place 2 years from now if you are right.

It would be different if they had cap concerns but they won't for at least two years.

Edited by tom webster, 22 August 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#18 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Posttom webster, on 22 August 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Everyone pays on potential. The trick is being right and being able to project the market, things that on the whole this team has missed on.
If he agrees to a bridge deal like Ennis and turns into the number one center I think he can be it wi cost you $8 million per in 2 years.
You get him to agree to $5.5 per, you will be in a much better place 2 years from now if you are right.

It would be different if they had cap concerns but they won't for at least two years.
Is he signing at 5.5mil for longer than 2 years or just for 2 years? because I hate to say this but if he is worth 8mil in 2 years and you paid him 5.5 instead of 3.5 he is still worth 8mil and you have 4mil less.

Hodgson is worth 3.5 and until he plays a full season where he consistently puts up points, I wouldn't be interested in paying him a penny more.

#19 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 22 August 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Is he signing at 5.5mil for longer than 2 years or just for 2 years? because I hate to say this but if he is worth 8mil in 2 years and you paid him 5.5 instead of 3.5 he is still worth 8mil and you have 4mil less.

Hodgson is worth 3.5 and until he plays a full season where he consistently puts up points, I wouldn't be interested in paying him a penny more.

You only pay him 5.5 if he signs for 5 or more years, otherwise he gets the $3.5M per year for 2.

#20 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Posttom webster, on 22 August 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

You only pay him 5.5 if he signs for 5 or more years, otherwise he gets the $3.5M per year for 2.
So again we are talking about 2 completely different contracts.  You are paying him for future production, I am paying him with the promise he will make more if he reaches that future production. A player as young as him, I think using more money in the near future if you continue to progress is a good thing.

#21 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 22 August 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

So again we are talking about 2 completely different contracts.  You are paying him for future production, I am paying him with the promise he will make more if he reaches that future production. A player as young as him, I think using more money in the near future if you continue to progress is a good thing.

I already stated that from a player's point of view, I would just do the 2 year deal. Last couple of post were from a team's perspective.

#22 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Or you build a bridge into the contract 6 years:
3, 3.5, 5, 5.5, 5.5, 6

#23 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 22 August 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Or you build a bridge into the contract 6 years:
3, 3.5, 5, 5.5, 5.5, 6

Give him a 4 million signing bonus and reduce those later years. Makes him more tradable.

#24 Paul Kruse

Paul Kruse

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sign him, Vanek and trade or cut that overrated bum Miller.

#25 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Or pay him 3.5 for two years.  Tell him if he works hard and improves you will give him a long term deal and the end of year 2 for good money.  Now he isn't on some cushy contract well still developing and has to work hard to ensure he does get the long term deal in 2 years.

#26 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,157 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 23 August 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

Tell him if he works hard and improves you will give him a long term deal and the end of year 2 for good money.
That + 8 bucks gets you a beer at a Sabres game.  What player or agent wouldn't get up and walk out after the word "promise"?  It sounds like you are negotiating with a child. Grown ass men aren't doing anything for a promise.

#27 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Postinkman, on 23 August 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

That + 8 bucks gets you a beer at a Sabres game.  What player or agent wouldn't get up and walk out after the word "promise"?  It sounds like you are negotiating with a child. Grown ass men aren't doing anything for a promise.

Exactly. Or, knowing where his bread is buttered. Accept, play his ass off, and go to the highest bidder at the end.

Depends on the guy, really. Some people are OK with, "you have to prove yourself", some will get angry about someone questioning them, some will hold out, and some are OK with a promise.

#28 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

Sorry Cody Hodgson hasn't earned a long term deal.  Also he has the negotiating power of a pile of crap because he is an RFA.

###### IT LETS ###### OVERPAY HIM YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JULY 2007 COMING BACK TO F#*($&#*^$ HUNT US AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO LETS GIVE EVERYONE MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!!  GRIGORENKO SHOULD GET A 20year deal worth 1billion DOLLARS!!!

I am going to go drink my 3$ dollar beer because sometimes the "Buffalo Loser Syndrome" or BLS is just to much for me to handle.

#29 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 23 August 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Sorry Cody Hodgson hasn't earned a long term deal.  Also he has the negotiating power of a pile of crap because he is an RFA.

###### IT LETS ###### OVERPAY HIM YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JULY 2007 COMING BACK TO F#*($&#*^$ HUNT US AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO LETS GIVE EVERYONE MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!!  GRIGORENKO SHOULD GET A 20year deal worth 1billion DOLLARS!!!

I am going to go drink my 3$ dollar beer because sometimes the "Buffalo Loser Syndrome" or BLS is just to much for me to handle.

And these are the moments where you need to back away from the keyboard because you get way too emotional.

#30 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Tom Webster already explained the reasoning. You pay for potential because if it hits, you get a great value. It's no different than investing--you don't only invest in proven companies. In a cap world you simply cannot only pay once players have proven they earned a certain amount, because you'll run out of money quite quickly.

#31 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

WTF is this?

#32 Paul Kruse

Paul Kruse

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

I like the emotion. Nothin wrong with being emotional you robots.

#33 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostPaul Kruse, on 23 August 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

I like the emotion. Nothin wrong with being emotional you robots.

Welcome back!

#34 Paul Kruse

Paul Kruse

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

LOL hey buddy. I happen to like the ol Hodger. Could you imagine him and Vanek with a viable center? Whats Joe Thorntons deal nowadays? He a lil old, but still great. If San Jose doesnt change it up, theyd be nutz. They keep fielding the same team with the same results. Heck, Id send Myers away in that deal.

Oops, Hodger a center. You wouldnt be able to tell though with how bad we are in the dot. Just move him to wing. Never understood why they moved Roy to center all them years back.

#35 rakish

rakish

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

As mentioned in another thread, Henrique was signed to a long term deal, 6 years, 24m

I think this was a brilliant move by New Jersey.  I think they increased the possibility of holdouts in Toronto, Rangers, and Buffalo,  teams looking for the same playoff spot that New Jersey is hoping for.

#36 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Cody at 1:20

And who is that at 1:07 ? Looks familiar.

#37 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Who was the other Sabre on that line who did the give and go with him.  Couldn't tell.

USA team was playing in Arlington, VA at CAPs practice facility above the Parking Lot at the Ballston Mall.  Didn't get to play there before I left DC, but watched the rink getting built. I have a friend that does and says it is a really nice rink, but expensive.

2013 USA Team Practice: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23332622/usa-hockey-opens-olympic-camp-with-one-goal-in-mind-gold

Team Canada doesn't list Hodgson, so not sure what this camp is??

Edited by North Buffalo, 28 August 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#38 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 28 August 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Who was the other Sabre on that line who did the give and go with him.  Couldn't tell.

USA team was playing in Arlington, VA at CAPs practice facility above the Parking Lot at the Ballston Mall.  Didn't get to play there before I left DC, but watched the rink getting built. I have a friend that does and says it is a really nice rink, but expensive.

2013 USA Team Practice: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23332622/usa-hockey-opens-olympic-camp-with-one-goal-in-mind-gold

Team Canada doesn't list Hodgson, so not sure what this camp is??

Can't tell. This is the Gary Roberts camp.

#39 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 28 August 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

I skated there once back in 2009.  It was a really nice building.  It might not have been the same rink though since there were two.  If that's what Buffalo is going to wind up having downtown, things are going to be much more interesting in that area.

Sorry, wrong thread.

#40 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

I probably dislike Harrington's stuff as much as anyone, but his blurb this morning about Hodgson indicates that Hodgson's agent has something of a track record with the Sabres (and it's not a good one).