51 replies to this topic

#1 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

For some reason when the French Connection statue came out, I heard that there would be more statues coming but can't remember from where.

Does anybody know if there will be?

If there is (or even if there isn't), who else would you want to see have a statue?

I did a post a long time ago talking about this on a blog, and I speculated that Jeanneret, LaFontaine, Hasek, Andreychuk, Gare and the Knox Brothers were all potentially deserving.

#2 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Deluca and GODD... also a spndnchz :flirt:

#3 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,051 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Jeebus

#4 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostDStebb, on 24 July 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

For some reason when the French Connection statue came out, I heard that there would be more statues coming but can't remember from where.

If there is (or even if there isn't), who else would you want to see have a statue?

I did a post a long time ago talking about this on a blog, and I speculated that Jeanneret, LaFontaine, Hasek, Andreychuk, Gare and the Knox Brothers were all potentially deserving.

Absolutely no one. A team with zero championships to their credit putting up a replica of Vatican City in front of their building is a sham.

#5 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 24 July 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Deluca and GODD... also a spndnchz :flirt:

No thanks.

#6 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostDStebb, on 24 July 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Personally I think statues should be limited to players, and all-time NHL greats at that, who spent a significant amount of their career in a city.  So basically, I think Hasek should get one, and that's about it.

#7 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 July 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Personally I think statues should be limited to players, and all-time NHL greats at that, who spent a significant amount of their career in a city.  So basically, I think Hasek should get one, and that's about it.

And I don't see any need to rush into building him 1.  Getting his # retired should happen soon.  A statue, if it happens, should be at LEAST 5 years off.

#8 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostTaro T, on 24 July 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

And I don't see any need to rush into building him 1.  Getting his # retired should happen soon.  A statue, if it happens, should be at LEAST 5 years off.

I have no problem with that.  Jersey definitely has to happen first, and hopefully, soon.

#9 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

No more statues.  The existing one is a nice tribute to the beginnings of NHL hockey in Buffalo.  There's no need to clutter it up with more.

#10 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Agree with above.  Hasek should be raftered soon, statue in a little while.

I also think it'd be fun and important to have a Rick Jeanneret statue.  Sometime after he retires.  Not necessarily front-and-center, but out front somwhere.  Maybe him at a chair and desk, wearing ruler suspenders, yelling into a microphone or headset.  Have a speaker blasting his highlight calls around game time for the crowd and/or a button you can walk up to and press to hear a different call any time.  It'd be nice to give him a timeless tribute like a statue while capturing some of his audio magic.  That way, when he's no longer on air, there will always be one place he can be heard by the old folks and learned about by the young ones.  He means so much to this franchise and its history.

#11 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostEleven, on 24 July 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

No more statues.  The existing one is a nice tribute to the beginnings of NHL hockey in Buffalo.  There's no need to clutter it up with more.

Amen.

#12 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I also think it'd be fun and important to have a Rick Jeanneret statue.  Sometime after he retires.  Not necessarily front-and-center, but out front somwhere.  Maybe him at a chair and desk, wearing ruler suspenders, yelling into a microphone or headset.  Have a speaker blasting his highlight calls around game time for the crowd and/or a button you can walk up to and press to hear a different call any time.  It'd be nice to give him a timeless tribute like a statue while capturing some of his audio magic.  That way, when he's no longer on air, there will always be one place he can be heard by the old folks and learned about by the young ones.  He means so much to this franchise and its history.

That's a nice idea.

One might argue the marque on the front of the F'N Center already pays homage to Hasek. Is that still inside or is it gone?

#13 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostMattPie, on 24 July 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

That's a nice idea.

One might argue the marque on the front of the F'N Center already pays homage to Hasek. Is that still inside or is it gone?

I doubt the relief carving (really talking out my hat with that term) honors Dom specifically. It might be cool to redo it and make it truly Hasek-esque. There's another archway that could also be redone to honor someone.

In general, though, as much as I like honoring the Sabres' past, I think the organization itself should be living in 2013 and putting the past aside for now. The statue, the plaza, alumni night, 19,070 seating capacity… enough already.

Agree with above.  Hasek should be raftered soon, statue in a little while.

Love it.

#14 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

They could follow the Blue jays approach and go with the previous owner and have a Tom Golisano or TP?
The jays unveiled a Ted Rogers Statue outside the Rogers centre this week, to honor all the greatness he brought to the jays during the 2000 to 2008 year run as owner

#15 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostEleven, on 24 July 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Agreed. Statues are reserved for the most elite of the elite and even tho I love Hasek and Tim Connolly to death, I don't think they're quite on par with Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky, at least not yet. To be fair, neither are the French Connection, but I agree with Eleven's assessment about the existing statue -- it's a nice tribute. To put up statues of any other Sabres players who didn't win cups here would be wrong, and probably a little embarrassing (because you know people on twitter would be all over that.)

If Buffalo wins a Stanley Cup and there's a way to commemorate in a statue, I might be okay with that since it would be their first ever... but unless an individual leads the Sabres to multiple championships, I just can't really see how they could justify building more statues.

Edited by thesportsbuff, 24 July 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#16 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 24 July 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Agreed. Statues are reserved for the most elite of the elite and even tho I love Hasek and Tim Connolly to death, I don't think they're quite on par with Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky. To be fair, neither are the French Connection, but I agree with Eleven's assessment about the existing statue -- it's a nice tribute. To put up statues of any other Sabres players who didn't win cups here would be wrong, and probably a little embarrassing (because you know people on twitter would be all over that.)

If Buffalo wins a Stanley Cup and there's a way to commemorate in a statue, I might be okay with that since it would be their first ever... but unless an individual leads the Sabres to multiple championships, I just can't really see how they could justify building more statues.

...did you just put Hasek and Connolly in the same sentence? :angry:

For what it's worth, I think Hasek is the best goaltender of all time and did it in a totally unique fashion. He deserves to be in the pantheon of NHL greats.

#17 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't actually think that all of these guys deserve it. Just ideas.

I do think Hasek and Jeanneret deserve one eventually. The Knox Brothers maybe.

Whoever suggested Golisano: really? No.
And TP? Why? What has he done?

#18 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,081 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Sabretooth

#19 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 24 July 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

...did you just put Hasek and Connolly in the same sentence? :angry:

For what it's worth, I think Hasek is the best goaltender of all time and did it in a totally unique fashion. He deserves to be in the pantheon of NHL greats.

That was a joke for the old-timers here. Used to have a huge man-crush on TC :lol: (still do :bag: ). he was fun to watch before ECSF Game 2 2006.

I do agree with Hasek. He was my first "favorite" player. He would definitely be the ONE Sabre to consider getting a statue, but not yet -- think it would be cooler down the road.

Edited by thesportsbuff, 24 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#20 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postthesportsbuff, on 24 July 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Agreed. Statues are reserved for the most elite of the elite and even tho I love Hasek and Tim Connolly to death, I don't think they're quite on par with Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky, at least not yet. To be fair, neither are the French Connection, but I agree with Eleven's assessment about the existing statue -- it's a nice tribute. To put up statues of any other Sabres players who didn't win cups here would be wrong, and probably a little embarrassing (because you know people on twitter would be all over that.)

Eh, as Emily Lutella used to say: nevermind.

Though we really do need a 'wtf wave' smiley. ;)

Edited by Taro T, 24 July 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#21 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostDStebb, on 24 July 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

I don't actually think that all of these guys deserve it. Just ideas.

I do think Hasek and Jeanneret deserve one eventually. The Knox Brothers maybe.

Whoever suggested Golisano: really? No.
And TP? Why? What has he done?
Golisano was a joke, it was the closest comparrison I could find for the Sabres and the jays who just unveiled a statue (with much criticism) of Ted Rogers outside their stadium. He was owner from 2000-2008, all pretty bad years, but he, his family and his company have the money to do what they want to honor him. They don't even have statues of players outside the place!

#22 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

I also think it'd be fun and important to have a Rick Jeanneret statue.  Sometime after he retires.  Not necessarily front-and-center, but out front somwhere.  Maybe him at a chair and desk, wearing ruler suspenders, yelling into a microphone or headset.  Have a speaker blasting his highlight calls around game time for the crowd and/or a button you can walk up to and press to hear a different call any time.  

Seriously, though -- this is a BANNER idea. It doesn't need to be a bronzed statute out on the plaza necessarily -- they could find a place for it within the center-arena. Shoot -- they should get on this NOW vis-a-vis the late great Ted Darling. Again, great idea. You really should inbox Black with that sort of thing (unless he reads about if here first -- HI, TED!).

Edited by That Aud Smell, 24 July 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#23 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

#24 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Rick Jeanneret and that's it.

#25 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 July 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Rick Jeanneret and that's it.
Do you believe! Do. You. Believe!

#26 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

How about a can of Blue. Through all the ups and downs, it's been the one constant.

#27 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 24 July 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

[/size]

Seriously, though -- this is a BANNER idea. It doesn't need to be a bronzed statute out on the plaza necessarily -- they could find a place for it within the center-arena. Shoot -- they should get on this NOW vis-a-vis the late great Ted Darling. Again, great idea. You really should inbox Black with that sort of thing (unless he reads about if here first -- HI, TED!).

They could put it where they do the in-between period broadcasts.

And if you haven't yet figured out that GoDD is really Ted Black, well, I don't know what to say.

#28 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostEleven, on 24 July 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

And if you haven't yet figured out that GoDD is really Ted Black, well, I don't know what to say.

:blink:

#29 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostSwampD, on 24 July 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

How about a can of Blue. Through all the ups and downs, it's been the one constant.

Ha

#30 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

The idea by IKnowPhysics NEEDS to be implemented.

Doesn't need to be a statue - even just a picture of RJ with buttons to various calls would suffice.

Other than that, Hasek needs a statue. One of the best goalies in hockey history.

#31 beerme1

beerme1

First Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

Van Millers chair that used to rest in front of the press box at the Ralph. His wife is sick of it! Just bronze it and it's all set. Forget the reasons why but never forget Dom demanded out. Best goalie we ever had but bailed on us and don't forget that. Not saying he doesn't deserve much recognition. I say he does and even more because of his Hasek's Heroes which is truly a great and noble cause :thumbsup: But a statue? Too soon but his number had damn well better be hanging from the rafters ASAP.

#32 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

View Postbeerme1, on 24 July 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

Van Millers chair that used to rest in front of the press box at the Ralph. His wife is sick of it! Just bronze it and it's all set. Forget the reasons why but never forget Dom demanded out. Best goalie we ever had but bailed on us and don't forget that. Not saying he doesn't deserve much recognition. I say he does and even more because of his Hasek's Heroes which is truly a great and noble cause :thumbsup: But a statue? Too soon but his number had damn well better be hanging from the rafters ASAP.

I'm not convinced that it was ALL Dom.

The Sabres had a choice to pick up Hasek's one-year $9 million contract option, trade him, or lose him to unrestricted free agency. They were shedding salary at the time, not picking up Andreychuks $1.1 million option either.

#33 Hawerchuk

Hawerchuk

1 Stanley Cup Needed!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

The Earl Of Bud.

#34 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

Plus this was before it was "cool" for a non-contender's aging best player to go to a contender in an attempt to win a Stanley Cup. That trend hadn't been established yet.  That and if Slava Kozlov wasn't the only Sabres player ever to not like Buffalo, we might remember this a little more favorably.

View PostHawerchuk, on 25 July 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

The Earl Of Bud.

We need an Earl Jr.

#35 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Dom went to Detroit to win a Cup. He could see what was happening in Buffalo (Peca; maybe even a whiff of the scandal to come). He orchestrated the whole thing with his agent. They made a trip to Coudersport to lay the groundwork. That was bad enough, but then he made sure the Sabres didn't get too much in the trade. Then he said in a presser he would go into the hall as a Wing. Then he wore that hideous cardigan sweater. It was ugly.

#36 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

Marty Biron:  Backup to the stars.

#37 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,081 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostDoohickie, on 25 July 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Marty Biron:  Backup to the stars.

His would need to be a talking statue.

#38 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ha!

#39 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

if you had to pick one player that deserves it, it has to be Hasek.

He carried this team during his time as starter here and is one of if not the best goaltender to ever play the game. I don't blame him for how he left, the franchise gave him no help out there and just continued to ride him every night hoping he could give them a shutout or not more then 1 goal. He wasn't getting any younger and deserved a chance at a championship that Buffalo didn't appear to be able to give him.

Right now I view the Vanek/Miller situation the same way, they both have been here and carried this team and deserve to be moved to a place thats trying to win a cup in the time left on their careers.

Haseks number 39 deserves to be in the rafters, and if they are going to do another statue, he should be the next in line.

Other options
- Maybe a Connolly? Although for that one it might be cheaper just to pay him a couple bucks and let him stand outside in the plaza, might be the closest he gets to getting back on an NHL ice rink....
- Maybe a Taro Stautue? Should have been the first with the honor before the french connection for those memories of great times he provided...............
- A Brett Hull statue? It could either be just a foot clearly located in a crease, or maybe one with him making out with Bettman and the Stanley cup, in a crease of course.......

Seriously though, if there is a moment that i would love to see bronzed forever, it would be "The Umberger" w/ Soupy leveling him

#40 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 25 July 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

if you had to pick one player that deserves it, it has to be Hasek.

He carried this team during his time as starter here and is one of if not the best goaltender to ever play the game. I don't blame him for how he left, the franchise gave him no help out there and just continued to ride him every night hoping he could give them a shutout or not more then 1 goal. He wasn't getting any younger and deserved a chance at a championship that Buffalo didn't appear to be able to give him.

Right now I view the Vanek/Miller situation the same way, they both have been here and carried this team and deserve to be moved to a place thats trying to win a cup in the time left on their careers.

Haseks number 39 deserves to be in the rafters, and if they are going to do another statue, he should be the next in line.

Other options
- Maybe a Connolly? Although for that one it might be cheaper just to pay him a couple bucks and let him stand outside in the plaza, might be the closest he gets to getting back on an NHL ice rink....
- Maybe a Taro Stautue? Should have been the first with the honor before the french connection for those memories of great times he provided...............
- A Brett Hull statue? It could either be just a foot clearly located in a crease, or maybe one with him making out with Bettman and the Stanley cup, in a crease of course.......

Seriously though, if there is a moment that i would love to see bronzed forever, it would be "The Umberger" w/ Soupy leveling him

Taro might be fun. Kind of emphasize that a love of the greatness in Sabres hockey is imagined. Also like the idea to memorialize moments instead of great players, who are few and far between. But there have been worthy moments. May kissing his stick, Lorentz knocking down the bat, Ray's playoff goal between his legs.