• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Quick question here. My daughter is now a part of her club's premier pool of players that form the top 2 teams. Traditionally called Premier Blue and Premier White.

A girl asked what our team name was and we were kicking around having an unofficial name for each squad. I proposed Diablo Azul and Diablo Blanco.

However, I understand the latter has political implications if you translate it back to english. Would this be concerning for anyone? We mainly have caucasians with several Indian players (3 on that team).

Real Madrid is called The Whites and you'll see lots of fans call them the White Devils, especially Ronaldo.

Thoughts?

#2 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Quick question here. My daughter is now a part of her club's premier pool of players that form the top 2 teams. Traditionally called Premier Blue and Premier White.

A girl asked what our team name was and we were kicking around having an unofficial name for each squad. I proposed Diablo Azul and Diablo Blanco.

However, I understand the latter has political implications if you translate it back to english. Would this be concerning for anyone? We mainly have caucasians with several Indian players (3 on that team).

Real Madrid is called The Whites and you'll see lots of fans call them the White Devils, especially Ronaldo.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Someone will get bent out of shape. I personally think that person is way too sensitive and needs to get a grip, but they'll make a stink about it. Probably after it's been in place for awhile and they didn't know what diablo translates to. Change the names to White Snakes and Blue Balls. :)

Edited by MattPie, 10 July 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#3 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Your not just going to put the letters FC in front or behind the cities name to make some of sports most creative team names?

#4 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

However, I understand the latter has political implications if you translate it back to english.

Haaaaa. Kind of funny and probably not a big deal, but better to avoid the worry of other people being sensitive.

Thunder and Lightning?

Could go more patriotic too.

On the interpretation of the colors of the American flag: White ("Purity"), Blue ("Perserverance")

The women on the New York state flag. The one on the left, traditionally dressed in Blue, is "Liberty," and the one on the right, traditionally dressed in White or yellow is "Justice."

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 10 July 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#5 skaught

skaught

Kaboom!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

The Flying Zeppelins and The Mugwumps

#6 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

The Flying Zeppelins and The Mugwumps

:w00t:

(Losing entries in the contest to name the Sabres, for those amateur Sabre fans.)

Edited by PASabreFan, 10 July 2013 - 05:57 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic