67 replies to this topic

#1 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Is it possible for Ovechkin to be traded?

Could the Capitals be looking to try a new approach?

Could the Capitals get a two for one deal; Miller and Vanek for Ovechkin.

Ovechkin approximately 10,000,000.00 a year

Vanek approximately 8,000,000.00 a year

Miller approximately 6,000,000.00 + a year

I believe at one time Ovechkin said that the Buffalo Sabres was his favorite team growing up.

How many would like to see OV in a Sabres Uniform?

#2 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

This idea is absurd on so many different levels, I wouldn't know where to begin.

#3 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 08 July 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

This idea is absurd on so many different levels, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Try not to take yourself so seriously and have fun with it.

Do you think Ovechkin will play his whole career in Washington?

Since you obviously have so many great ideas, why don't you expound upon them, and explain to such a lowly person as myself why it is so absurd to think that Ovechkin could play for some other team other than the Capitals.

Edited by hockeyhound, 08 July 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#4 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I didn’t say that OV couldn’t be traded.  But to us?  Seriously?

Oh, I forgot, you’re not being serious.  Well, in that case, sure!  Let’s do it now!

Forget the fact that he doesn’t fit into the plans for a team that’s rebuilding.  Forget the fact that he doesn’t have equitable talent to play with.  Forget the fact that his huge salary could cause cap problems down the road.  Forget the fact that he is the face of the Capital’s franchise and losing him would cause a fan revolt.  Forget the fact that Washington has their goalie tandem set and Miller would disrupt Holtby’s continued growth.  

In fact I think we ought to look into Crosby’s availability too, while we’re at it.  

We’re just kidding here, right?

#5 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Posthockeyhound, on 08 July 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Try not to take yourself so seriously and have fun with it.

Do think Ovechkin will play his whole career in Washington?

Since you obviously have so many great ideas, why don't you expound upon them, and explain to such a lowly person as myself why it is so absurd to think that Ovechkin could play for some other team other than the Capitals.

I don't think absurd is the right word, but "highly unlikely" fits the bill.  It is highly unlikely for a couple reasons.  First, he is coming off a MVP season.  Not sure how many teams would be jumping out of their skin to deal a MVP.  Second, I have heard (I know...hearsay) that Leonsis has a man crush on Ovechkin.  Not sure if building around a single superstar is the correct forumla to win a cup these days anyway.  It appears you are better off having stars, and lots of depth.

He might not play his entire career with Washington, but certainly his prime years will be played there.  He might fall into the Daniel Alfredsson category, where he is dealt in the twilight of his career.

I would love Ovechkin on this team, but not at the price the Caps are likely to ask.  If he demonstrated he could win Cups singlehandedly, it would be different.  Until then, I build through the draft.

#6 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,708 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think he'll come here twice next season.

#7 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Sure!  Ovechkin will be here with the Caps when they play the Sabres at the FNC.  Otherwise, no.

View PostEleven, on 08 July 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

You beat me to the punch... :)

#8 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostEleven, on 08 July 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Nah Buffalo doesn't have hot chicks

#9 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 08 July 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I didn’t say that OV couldn’t be traded.  But to us?  Seriously?

Oh, I forgot, you’re not being serious.  Well, in that case, sure!  Let’s do it now!

Forget the fact that he doesn’t fit into the plans for a team that’s rebuilding.  Forget the fact that he doesn’t have equitable talent to play with.  Forget the fact that his huge salary could cause cap problems down the road.  Forget the fact that he is the face of the Capital’s franchise and losing him would cause a fan revolt.  Forget the fact that Washington has their goalie tandem set and Miller would disrupt Holtby’s continued growth.  

In fact I think we ought to look into Crosby’s availability too, while we’re at it.  

We’re just kidding here, right?

Thank you for the insight, and I am not being facetious when I say that.

I have an interest in hockey related discussions; however, I am not involved in the hockey world.

So for a layman like me, I have to ask questions when it comes down to the day to day hockey operations issues.

I thought this was a sight where one could do that; so excuse me for my hasty reply to your earlier one sentence response; I regret that I responded in that way.

I just wanted to know why it was possible or impossible.

I apologize; have a great week.

#10 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostDHawerchuk10, on 08 July 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I don't think absurd is the right word, but "highly unlikely" fits the bill.  It is highly unlikely for a couple reasons.  First, he is coming off a MVP season.  Not sure how many teams would be jumping out of their skin to deal a MVP.  Second, I have heard (I know...hearsay) that Leonsis has a man crush on Ovechkin.  Not sure if building around a single superstar is the correct forumla to win a cup these days anyway.  It appears you are better off having stars, and lots of depth.

He might not play his entire career with Washington, but certainly his prime years will be played there.  He might fall into the Daniel Alfredsson category, where he is dealt in the twilight of his career.

I would love Ovechkin on this team, but not at the price the Caps are likely to ask.  If he demonstrated he could win Cups singlehandedly, it would be different.  Until then, I build through the draft.

I really appreciate your candor.

My thought was that a team might want to deal an MVP if they thought as you did, that it may not be the right formula for them to win a cup.

I don't know; however, I appreciate your response.

#11 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,166 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

View Postinkman, on 08 July 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Come on. If Chz puts on her hairy legs, it could remind him of home.

#12 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

Sam Reinhart, please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

COULD he be? Sure. Will he be? Probably not.

#13 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

+3

#14 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostDStebb, on 08 July 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

How long do they ride the one trick pony?

It would be very disappointing if Ovechkin goes out with nothing playing for the Caps.

I know Ovechkin has not won a cup and he is not Gretzky; however, roughly 24 years ago Gretzky was traded to LA Kings for what appeared to be for the good of the league.

How about the Lindros trade which shook up the hockey world? I thought it was interesting how the Lindros camp resisted the status quo when it came down to where Lindros was going to play. I wonder if his dad had anything to do with it.

I guess every once in awhile the unexpected presents itself, and it would sure be nice to see Ovechkin playing for the Buf.

Thanks to everyone that elaborated on the difficulties surrounding Ovechkins' contractual future and career.

#15 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Help me out...The Sabres are clearly committed to a rebuild, yet are going to trade for Ovechkin who has 8 more years left on his contract with a cap hit of 9.5 per?  How does that fit into the suffering?

#16 krt88

krt88

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

View Posthockeyhound, on 08 July 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

Is it possible for Ovechkin to be traded?

Could the Capitals be looking to try a new approach?

Could the Capitals get a two for one deal; Miller and Vanek for Ovechkin.

Ovechkin approximately 10,000,000.00 a year

Vanek approximately 8,000,000.00 a year

Miller approximately 6,000,000.00 + a year

I believe at one time Ovechkin said that the Buffalo Sabres was his favorite team growing up.

How many would like to see OV in a Sabres Uniform?

yeah he can come to Buffalo, when the Capital have a schedule game at the First Niagara Center.

otherwise, it is never gonna happen.

#17 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,168 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 08 July 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Help me out...The Sabres are clearly committed to a rebuild, yet are going to trade for Ovechkin who has 8 more years left on his contract with a cap hit of 9.5 per?  How does that fit into the suffering?

Better question:  Why would Washington trade their franchise player for two expiring contracts?

#18 (E5)

(E5)

Eklund's Rumors Are False (e5)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ok I will bite:

Another point is this: If the Capitals would make Ovechkin available, Sabres have nowhere near enough attractive assets to trade. And if you say Vanek you are fooling yourself: He makes 7M and needs a contract, Sabres don't have the high end young talent WITH good contracts to throw back plus Vanek.

MANY other teams have better offers to offer.

#19 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Could I see the trade above working..... no

Could I see OV in a Sabres jersey ...... yes

It would likely be after his time with Washington is through and before retirement. I would assume he'd want to play here at least a year just because it was likely a dream of his.

#20 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Post(E5), on 08 July 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Ok I will bite:

Another point is this: If the Capitals would make Ovechkin available, Sabres have nowhere near enough attractive assets to trade. And if you say Vanek you are fooling yourself: He makes 7M and needs a contract, Sabres don't have the high end young talent WITH good contracts to throw back plus Vanek.

MANY other teams have better offers to offer.
I think an offer of Vanek, Miller, Myers, Ristolenin, and Armia would get it done. Just saying...

Never say never

#21 cap10

cap10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Posted Image

#22 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'd say there is about a .00001% chance of Ovie coming to Buffalo within the next, say, 5 years or so.

#23 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostPotato, on 08 July 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

I'd say there is about a .00001% chance of Ovie coming to Buffalo within the next, say, 5 years or so.

Yep.  Not impossible - but exceedingly unlikely.  As Bullwinkle mentioned, the guy is the face of the Washington Capitals.  They're not gonna let him walk unless his game play goes south.

And if his game-play goes south, why would the Sabres want him?

#24 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

View Postcap10, on 08 July 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Fantastic picture, where did you find it?

There it is, Ovechkin in the Blue and Gold; he looks good in it. :w00t:

I wonder if the Sabres store would run a line of those jackets; looks tight.

Does the knife come with it?

View Postshrader, on 08 July 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Better question:  Why would Washington trade their franchise player for two expiring contracts?

I don't know, but I would love to see it happen.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Darcy would become a hockey god if he pulled off a deal like that. :worthy:

Edited by hockeyhound, 08 July 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#25 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Let me "Help You Out", as you asked.
OV is exactly what this team needs, 1 component of it in any event. A player in the elite status area with the heart, desire and passion to win. And it's actually extended for all to see through his skills and talents game in and game out.

Anyone who says getting OV isn't a fit for a rebuild is just plain lying........to themselves. It's asinine to actually believe a player of that caliber could not be a major component of any rebuild.

#26 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 08 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

OV is exactly what this team needs, 1 component of it in any event. A player in the elite status area with the heart, desire and passion to win.
Weren't those exact things questioned this past season?

#27 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

View Postinkman, on 08 July 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

Weren't those exact things questioned this past season?

And pretty much every season when he shows up to camp out of shape?

#28 superdave

superdave

You're my boy, Blue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Buffalo would have to give up way too much to make that deal work.  Miller and Vanek aren't going to get it done as they only have one year left on their deals.  Caps are going to want a couple of first rounders (at least) thrown in to even consider moving the face of their franchise.  Miller and Vanek need to be moved in separate deals to maximize their return.

#29 Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

This is my dream scenario OV coming to Buffalo, although that scenario doesn't have a chance in hell until the end of his career, so a possibility maybe 10 years down the line and I would absolutely support it no matter the state we are in, OV is by far my favorite player to watch in the NHL

#30 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Well Gretzky got traded. OV doesn't sniff the same air as he does so I guess it possible.

#31 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,168 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postthewookie1, on 08 July 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Could I see the trade above working..... no

Could I see OV in a Sabres jersey ...... yes

It would likely be after his time with Washington is through and before retirement. I would assume he'd want to play here at least a year just because it was likely a dream of his.

You also think a package of John Scott and a couple leftover Gerbe jerseys would get the deal done.

#32 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

shrader said:

You also think a package of John Scott and a couple leftover Gerbe jerseys would get the deal done.

I am looking forward to seeing if John Scott comes into camp looking like he did in Minnesota; maybe looking a little more like Bryan Bickell.

Seeing the picture of Ovechkin in the Sabres jacket was worth starting the thread.

I love it.

We could use a little more Soma to ease the pain.

Lots of people want Darcy to get aggressive and make a block buster trade that would redefine the franchise; however, how much money, assets, picks, or prospects would people be willing to part with to land a big fish.

Lorenzo Von Matterhorn said:

This is my dream scenario OV coming to Buffalo, although that scenario doesn't have a chance in hell until the end of his career, so a possibility maybe 10 years down the line and I would absolutely support it no matter the state we are in, OV is by far my favorite player to watch in the NHL

We haven't had any real superstars since the French Connection; for years we have had to watch as the Sabres put 2nd line forwards on the first line with the exception of Vanek.

View PostHopefulFuture, on 08 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

OV is exactly what this team needs, 1 component of it in any event. A player in the elite status area with the heart, desire and passion to win. And it's actually extended for all to see through his skills and talents game in and game out.

Anyone who says getting OV isn't a fit for a rebuild is just plain lying........to themselves. It's asinine to actually believe a player of that caliber could not be a major component of any rebuild.

I would have been happy with Bobby Ryan.

View Postsuperdave, on 08 July 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Buffalo would have to give up way too much to make that deal work.  Miller and Vanek aren't going to get it done as they only have one year left on their deals.  Caps are going to want a couple of first rounders (at least) thrown in to even consider moving the face of their franchise.  Miller and Vanek need to be moved in separate deals to maximize their return.

Give up too much?

It costs to experience Hockey Heaven.

#33 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

View Posthockeyhound, on 08 July 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

I am looking forward to seeing if John Scott comes into camp looking like he did in Minnesota; maybe looking a little more like Bryan Bickell.

Seeing the picture of Ovechkin in the Sabres jacket was worth starting the thread.

I love it.

We could use a little more Soma to ease the pain.

Lots of people want Darcy to get aggressive and make a block buster trade that would redefine the franchise; however, how much money, assets, picks, or prospects would people be willing to part with to land a big fish.

We haven't had any real superstars since the French Connection; for years we have had to watch as the Sabres put 2nd line forwards on the first line with the exception of Vanek.

I would have been happy with Bobby Ryan.

Give up too much?

It costs to experience Hockey Heaven.
:huh:

LaFontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny, and Hasek don't count as 'superstars' but Robert does?

:unsure:

#34 hockeyhound

hockeyhound

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostTaro T, on 08 July 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

LaFontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny, and Hasek don't count as 'superstars' but Robert does?

Just talking out the side of my neck.

I would just like to see Buffalo land a Crosby, Ovechkin, etc

Give us the Soma Darcy to ease our suffering.

Edited by hockeyhound, 08 July 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#35 grinreaper

grinreaper

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

View Postcap10, on 08 July 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Danny Briere should have taught this little prick a lesson and nutted him with the butt end of stick just to set him on the right path. But yes, he'd be a nice addition.

#36 Formerly Allan in MD

Formerly Allan in MD

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

The reality is that there are only so many nights Ovie could spend on Chippewa St.  Also, the Caps don't need a goalie and why would they want two players near the end of their respective contracts?  Finally, Ovie plays best when paired with Backstrom.  Do the Caps really want Drew Stafford?

Who's starting the Patrick Kane thread?

#37 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostTaro T, on 08 July 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

Housley? Andreychuk? Barrasso? Turgeon? Corkum?

#38 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostDStebb, on 08 July 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postshrader, on 08 July 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

You guys are boring!

Tell me more, hockeyhound.... who centers Ovie here? And how do we bring in Datsyuk and Malkin too? Let's not just stop at Ovie. Oh, and im not giving up Grigorenko. Go.

#39 Numark

Numark

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Let's pretend washington wants to trade Ovechkin to us.  What do you all think it would take?

I'm thinking vanek, hodgson, armia, girgensons, ristolainen, mccabe, and a couple picks?

#40 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Crap and i wanted to come see a game next year, no hot ice girls ?