1474 replies to this topic

#81 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Brandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

I can't imagine why it didn't show up in your search.

http://forums.sabres...e__hl__exercise

;)

I never read that topic - I thought maybe D4rk was nervous or worried about something?..... didn't grok that it was the workout topic. :)

#82 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,270 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I keep reading that if you can't do eight reps, it's too much weight. If you can do more than 12, it's not enough. I don't think I can do eight reps at 35, but I might give it a shot.

It's going to be up to you to figure out what is best for your body to build muscle. You can do smaller rep sets. Just make sure your form is good. If the weight is just too hard don't push it. You can absolutely mix weights during your workout. Do your first set at 35 and then drop it back to 30 or 25 for the other two sets. Just gotta work that extra weight in there in any way that wont hurt you.

#83 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I usually hit the gym three times a week, been doing so since February 2012. I do the circuit of Cybex machines - chest press, then the Cybex assisted chin up, lat pull down, lat row, leg extension, leg curl, leg press, fly machine, shoulder press, sit up/back extension, tricep, and bicep. I finish with 30 to 60 minutes on the Cybex bike (watched the start of a lot of Sabres games on it too, as they have TVs attached - LOL)

Unfortunately at age 55, my knees aren't what they were - used to run quite a bit in my 20s and 30s - quite a bit of knee pain now when I kneel or get down on the floor to work on something. Also, I have a sciatic issue that started in 97, when I fell off the back of a tractor trailer while helping unload it for a charity event. I had started running last year again after years of not running - ran a Corporate Challenge 3.5 mile race but slow - took me 35 minutes - I had wanted to run under 30 this year, but... effin' sciatic flared up last July, which made it impossible to run, and I missed a month at the gym last year. I figured it was the running that caused the sciatic issue to return, so I gave up on it. I am now just sticking to walking and cycling,

Moral is - even working out, you'll still get old. LOL

#84 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 24,907 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

LGR, As someone who just started a relatively intensive workout program put together by a very good friend who weight trains regularly, i would advise you to just watch what you eat! A lot of muscle growth really comes down to what you put into your body. As you lift weights you're breaking down muscle fibers, when they heal they get bigger. That's the dumbed down science of it anyway.

Now, I'm not advising weight watchers here or anything, just making sure you are getting enough protein in your diet so that your muscles can repair themselves is essential. So if you're going for numbers (40lb curls is solid) then go for it! It's impossible to not see gains regardless of diet but if you really want to maximize gains, the most often recommended daily amount of protein i see is your body weight (in grams). so if you weight 175-180lbs, then anything around 175-180 grams would be about what you're looking at.

Love to see people get active, the feeling after a nice run, bike ride, or lift is the best!

Yowza, that seems like a lot of protein! In your opinion, does protein source matter? I eat meat only a couple times a week, but I do track protein from time to time and find that I am getting enough (or thought I was before seeing your post). For example, for breakfast, I had a cup of OJ, a cup and a half of shredded wheat with a banana and some blueberries, and a half a cup of soy milk. About 15g of protein.

#85 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

I usually hit the gym three times a week, been doing so since February 2012. I do the circuit of Cybex machines - chest press, then the Cybex assisted chin up, lat pull down, lat row, leg extension, leg curl, leg press, fly machine, shoulder press, sit up/back extension, tricep, and bicep. I finish with 30 to 60 minutes on the Cybex bike (watched the start of a lot of Sabres games on it too, as they have TVs attached - LOL)

Unfortunately at age 55, my knees aren't what they were - used to run quite a bit in my 20s and 30s - quite a bit of knee pain now when I kneel or get down on the floor to work on something. Also, I have a sciatic issue that started in 97, when I fell off the back of a tractor trailer while helping unload it for a charity event. I had started running last year again after years of not running - ran a Corporate Challenge 3.5 mile race but slow - took me 35 minutes - I had wanted to run under 30 this year, but... effin' sciatic flared up last July, which made it impossible to run, and I missed a month at the gym last year. I figured it was the running that caused the sciatic issue to return, so I gave up on it. I am now just sticking to walking and cycling,

Moral is - even working out, you'll still get old. LOL

Getting old is a privilege.

#86 Cereal

Cereal

An All America Breakfast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

It's impossible to not see gains regardless of diet but if you really want to maximize gains,

If you lift weights and then don't get ANYTHING to replenish the muscles within a short time (you'll hear anything from 20min to 60min), it can actually be worse for you than if you didn't even work out at all. You're tearing those muscles apart bigtime, and they're desperate to re-absorb nutrients and heal. If they're not fed immediately, they cannot heal effectively.

#87 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

If you lift weights and then don't get ANYTHING to replenish the muscles within a short time (you'll hear anything from 20min to 60min), it can actually be worse for you than if you didn't even work out at all. You're tearing those muscles apart bigtime, and they're desperate to re-absorb nutrients and heal. If they're not fed immediately, they cannot heal effectively.

Great point. I do IsoPure immediately afterwards.

#88 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

This is huge and I didn't realize it when I started working out a few years back.

Now I make a smoothie every morning with a scoop of protein powder because I know I don't get enough protein with my diet paired with my workout regimen.

I used to lift at the gym 3 nights a week, focusing on different muscle groups each night, and then do cardio on 2 other days, and have 1 rest day per week. Now, with my summer softball league here, I do mostly body weight exercises (i.e. pull-ups, pushups, dips, situps, lunges, etc) on nights I don't play. I get about 30 minutes in.

I ski in the winter for cardio (trust me, some of those black diamond runs are more cardio and leg workouts than I can get running a 5k).

I hover around 230 - 240 weight wise, and I am very happy with it. If I really wanted to drop more, I'd run more/do more sprints

#89 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

In before the merge.

I should merge the "What are you eating/drinking" thread in here too. :flirt:

#90 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

I need to get running again. Was just grumbling at poor d4rk this morning about how my lack of doing much (farm work and hockey once a week, that's it) has me feeling like a shapeless blob. Working out religiously only ever made me bigger, and as I've stated elsewhere, I'm not sane about that/can't handle it. I turn into a little tank. So maybe running and biking will bring das booty back without my brain thinking I'm fat. I badly need to work on my cardio.

I put away about 1000 - 1200 calories a day, and try to keep those mostly healthy things. I live on lean meat and eggs and grapefruit. Maybe I should cut it down to 800. At my craziest, I put in <400 a day and worked out like an idiot. It's just tough to find the time to work out when you sit all day at work and then go home and work/sit more.
I need to become a morning person.

#91 Cereal

Cereal

An All America Breakfast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

People gain/lose fat in very different places, depending on a lot of things (hereditary, age, etc.). For instance, if I gain fat, it's in my thighs most immediately.

Note that weightlifting CAN be cardio, so long as you're working hard and not just putzing around in the gym (the gym ain't no social hour for me). Of course, running, biking, elliptical, swimming, etc. are going to be your more direct ways of getting cardio. (I'm a long-distance runner myself; I'll spare y'all that stuff for now.)

And finally, someone mentioned interval training. This can be very effective for those looking to lose fat. With running/biking, this could be one minute of very intense pace every few minutes. For example, at a track, sprint one of the straightaways (100m), and then jog slower or walk the remaining 300m of the lap.

On nutrition, "Eat a wide variety of lightly processed foods" is a good simple guide.

#92 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Had to quit the gym when I lost my job last year. Can't afford to re-up. Prior to that I was 3 days a week at the gym focucing on weights and 3 days a week the wife and I would go for 4+ mile walks.

I really need to get back to those walks anyway.

#93 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

...will bring das booty back...

:lol:

#94 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,270 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Had to quit the gym when I lost my job last year. Can't afford to re-up. Prior to that I was 3 days a week at the gym focucing on weights and 3 days a week the wife and I would go for 4+ mile walks.

I really need to get back to those walks anyway.

Walking is the best exercise anyone can get. Even if you can't find time for anything else, find time for walking.

#95 BMWR100RT

BMWR100RT

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

I am 52 years old, 6'0 and about 185. It's great to see all this activity. It was really frustrating when I hit about 35 and couldn't get any of my college buddies to get off the couch to do anything more than golf, and even then they'd ride a cart. Now I'm dealing with one after another with heart disease and they have diabetes and no energy. After an odd conversation I was thinking "hey, maybe if you could see your package you wouldn't need a pill", but what do I know. On my golf league last night most of the young people rode a cart to play 9 holes and then they ask how I stay so thin. I went to Darien lake Saturday because my kids were in a chorus competition, and it was so sad to see how obese this area has become.

I work out 4-5 times a week and when I don't, I start feeling lethargic. That makes it easy to keep working out. Tis morning I ran 4 miles before my kids woke up and I feel great.

I plan on getting 300,000+ miles out of this vehicle!

Edited by BMWR100RT, 03 June 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#96 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

LGR, As someone who just started a relatively intensive workout program put together by a very good friend who weight trains regularly, i would advise you to just watch what you eat! A lot of muscle growth really comes down to what you put into your body. As you lift weights you're breaking down muscle fibers, when they heal they get bigger. That's the dumbed down science of it anyway.

Now, I'm not advising weight watchers here or anything, just making sure you are getting enough protein in your diet so that your muscles can repair themselves is essential. So if you're going for numbers (40lb curls is solid) then go for it! It's impossible to not see gains regardless of diet but if you really want to maximize gains, the most often recommended daily amount of protein i see is your body weight (in grams). so if you weight 175-180lbs, then anything around 175-180 grams would be about what you're looking at.

Love to see people get active, the feeling after a nice run, bike ride, or lift is the best!

Yea I have actually started to eat more and been focusing on protein high foods. Before I was eating lunch and dinner. Now I have been trying to get breakfast, eat lunch, afternoon snack, post workout snack, dinner. I am hungry all the time now but am trying to not eat crap such as really fatty food. I have been drinking more milk and eating more peanuts/peanut butter. I make sure all my meals have a protein so lots of chicken with steak here and again. The biggest thing has been making sure I don't over eat.

#97 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

I typically consume anywhere between 2000-8000 calories a day and I run anywhere between 0-50 miles per week. The past 6-8 months I've had a pretty solid streak of 4000-5000 calorie days and zero running. My weight didn't move at all, and I just had my physical, LDL is half the recommended limit and HDL is double the recommended minimum.

It's possible that this is my super power.

Still, even with my health apparently fine regardless of my best attempts at sabotage, I feel like I have more energy and better focus when my mileage is up.

Maybe tonight I just sleep in my run shorts as a reminder to put a few miles in in the morning.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 03 June 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#98 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,270 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I typically consume anywhere between 2000-8000 calories a day and I run anywhere between 0-50 miles per week. The past 6-8 months I've had a pretty solid streak of 4000-5000 calorie days and zero running. My weight didn't move at all, and I just had my physical, LDL is half the recommended limit and HDL is double the recommended minimum.

Still, even with my health apparently fine regardless of my best attempts at sabotage, I feel like I have more energy and better focus when my mileage is up.

Maybe tonight I just sleep in my run shorts as a reminder to put a few miles in in the morning.

Do you just eat garbage plates everyday? How do you even intake that many calories?

#99 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Do you just eat garbage plates everyday? How do you even intake that many calories?

It takes effort.

For instance, before I go to bed I have two bowls of cereal topped with brown sugar....and heavy cream.

#100 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,270 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

It takes effort.

For instance, before I go to bed I have two bowls of cereal topped with brown sugar....and heavy cream.

....why?

#101 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

You lucky sonuvabitch. HOW.
I'm watching all the girls my age start to morph into "mom body" and holy crap I'm trying to avoid it. Metabolism/the body thinking it needs to pack it on to support tiny lifeforms.... ugh. Please god no.
Seems if I eat "correctly", I get thunder thighs. If I work out, I get an ass. If I don't do anything, my shape is the body equivalent of taupe- boring. I'm overly critical of every inch of this shell I'm hauling around, and starving it doesn't seem to get the results I want either. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

#102 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

I am 52 years old, 6'0 and about 185. It's great to see all this activity. It was really frustrating when I hit about 35 and couldn't get any of my college buddies to get off the couch to do anything more than golf, and even then they'd ride a cart. Now I'm dealing with one after another with heart disease and they have diabetes and no energy. After an odd conversation I was thinking "hey, maybe if you could see your package you wouldn't need a pill", but what do I know. On my golf league last night most of the young people rode a cart to play 9 holes and then they ask how I stay so thin. I went to Darien lake Saturday because my kids were in a chorus competition, and it was so sad to see how obese this area has become.

I work out 4-5 times a week and when I don't, I start feeling lethargic. That makes it easy to keep working out. Tis morning I ran 4 miles before my kids woke up and I feel great.

I plan on getting 300,000+ miles out of this vehicle!

it's everywhere. I see so many kids that my mom teaches, or around town here in the Finger Lakes area that are not small! being slightly obese was not the norm when I was in school, but it seems to be the norm now! I already told my girl that whenever we do decide to have kids, they will be active, and won't eat whatever they feel like.

#103 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,270 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

it's everywhere. I see so many kids that my mom teaches, or around town here in the Finger Lakes area that are not small! being slightly obese was not the norm when I was in school, but it seems to be the norm now! I already told my girl that whenever we do decide to have kids, they will be active, and won't eat whatever they feel like.

I told my parents the other day that if I have kids, I'm going to buy a small house so they have no choice but to go play in the yard. :P

#104 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

....why?

'

Because I have a crazy metabolism and I'm always hungry. When I'm running high mileage weeks, 6,000-8,000 cal/day is just about perfect for my distance. I thought I'd have a problem when my mileage dropped a lot and my intake only dropped a little. But I may have dodged a bullet.

#105 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,270 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

'

Because I have a crazy metabolism and I'm always hungry. When I'm running high mileage weeks, 6,000-8,000 cal/day is just about perfect for my distance. I thought I'd have a problem when my mileage dropped a lot and my intake only dropped a little. But I may have dodged a bullet.

I think our metabolisms are probably similar. If I was running that kind of mileage I guess I would probably be eating that way as well.

#106 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

You lucky sonuvabitch. HOW.
I'm watching all the girls my age start to morph into "mom body" and holy crap I'm trying to avoid it. Metabolism/the body thinking it needs to pack it on to support tiny lifeforms.... ugh. Please god no.
Seems if I eat "correctly", I get thunder thighs. If I work out, I get an ass. If I don't do anything, my shape is the body equivalent of taupe- boring. I'm overly critical of every inch of this shell I'm hauling around, and starving it doesn't seem to get the results I want either. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

First, become a man. It's totally not fair, but we just have it easier. Second, recode your DNA to be built like a pale Ethiopian Marathoner.

If that's not an option, smile more.

100% of body types look better when attached to a smile. It's a fact.

I think our metabolisms are probably similar. If I was running that kind of mileage I guess I would probably be eating that way as well.

I'm extra lucky that my usual weight (140) is light enough to be easy on my knees and feet.

on the other side of the coin. I am completely unsuited for hockey and football. Not that it's ever stopped me.

#107 BuffaloSoldier2010

BuffaloSoldier2010

your father's brother's cousin's former roommate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yowza, that seems like a lot of protein! In your opinion, does protein source matter? I eat meat only a couple times a week, but I do track protein from time to time and find that I am getting enough (or thought I was before seeing your post). For example, for breakfast, I had a cup of OJ, a cup and a half of shredded wheat with a banana and some blueberries, and a half a cup of soy milk. About 15g of protein.

In my opinion protein is protein, i very recently got into using whey isolate (protein powder) about a month ago, and i find that its tremendously helpful when trying to hit your body weight equivalent in protein, one shake for me is about 2 cups of skim milk which ends up at about 12-16g in protein from the milk alone, then two scoops of protein isolate, that totals to about 76g of protein per shake. I'll have one a day usually to supplement my normal diet which is pretty reliant on eggs, chicken and red meat.

I should note that the whole body weight equivalent is what many weightlifting pros recommend for maximizing gains, and that you wouldn't necessarily need that much just to ensure your muscles heal properly. It'll just give you the most bang for your buck if you will. The way my friend put it, If you are going to spend an hour and a half in the gym everyday, you might as well make the most out of it. its far from necessary, but its certainly very beneficial.

I've been a runner / cardio freak most of my life, so i got into the habit of really eating whatever, because i would be able to burn it off in no time. Protein was never a "goal" in my diet per-say because i rarely lifted weights. But now that I'm into it more than i was its definitely helped me out in the gym. A great tool that can help you track your food intake can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

There's a food log diary that has an unbelievably extensive database of foods and nutrition facts. I'm talking as specific as "Wegmans white american cheese slice". It's a great way to really get an idea of what you're eating. I use it to track protein intake more than anything, but it's a pretty solid tool for that and much more! So as a very extensive answer to your question, as long as your protein sources aren't consistently saturated with other things that could be perceived as "bad for you" then protein is protein!

This is absolutely true, I didn't mean for it to come off as it did. I suppose the better phrasing would have been that it's hard not to see gains as long as you are eating a "traditional" diet without focusing too much on specific intakes of nutrients. Gotta put in what you take out at a minimum!

Just saw the emphasis on the 20-60 minute window you mentioned and I'm curious, I've actually heard a lot of differing opinions on this subject and I'm not sure where i stand on the subject. I've heard similar things from many friends who have started working out in the last 3 years or so, and have heard that it's not necessarily true from friends who have been around it for periods of time longer than that. The main argument i hear against it is essentially that your body absorbs different types of proteins at different rates and as a result as long as you get it into your body and get a decent rest period before your next workout, you will be okay.

For example, i did legs today. Leg press, extensions, curls, calf raises and then finished with a hard 6 miles on a bike inside 20 minutes. i think i was done with the whole shebang by 11:54 then i had to run to Wegmans to snag some milk for my protein shake. I'm just drinking it now. That fits inside the hour, but do you think that would have been detrimental if i didn't have it until say around 2?

Edited by BuffaloSoldier2010, 03 June 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#108 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

If that's not an option, smile more.

100% of body types look better when attached to a smile. It's a fact.

Good point. Best advice in this thread.

...but I have a huge nose... :P

#109 Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Good point. Best advice in this thread.

...but I have a huge nose... :P

http://www.smbc-comi.../?id=3374#comic

#110 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

http://www.smbc-comi.../?id=3374#comic

:w00t:

It's true, I've always been attracted to guys with larger than average schnozzes. d4rk included. My poor future offspring. They'll have to get second jobs as bloodhounds.

#111 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

I was a serious weightlifter for 20+ years, but unfortunately (as anyone over 40 on this board can attest to) time eventually catches up with you. All of the heavy weights you lift in your 20's and 30's will almost invariably cause injuries later in life. I don't know any serious lifter that hasn't developed shoulder problems (rotator cuff most commonly) by age 40, and many have knee, ankle, and/or back problems. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to do what you could always do...

I still lift 4 times per week, but my weights are way down from what they used to be. And, entire exercises (e.g., incline bench and pull ups) are a thing of the past due to a partially torn rotator cuff.

Now when I go to the gym and see the young guys loading up the bar on, for example, flat or incline bench and using poor form, I cringe because I know they'll develop shoulder problems later in life. :(

#112 ubkev

ubkev

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

I was a serious weightlifter for 20+ years, but unfortunately (as anyone over 40 on this board can attest to) time eventually catches up with you. All of the heavy weights you lift in your 20's and 30's will almost invariably cause injuries later in life. I don't know any serious lifter that hasn't developed shoulder problems (rotator cuff most commonly) by age 40, and many have knee, ankle, and/or back problems. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to do what you could always do...

I still lift 4 times per week, but my weights are way down from what they used to be. And, entire exercises (e.g., incline bench and pull ups) are a thing of the past due to a partially torn rotator cuff.

Now when I go to the gym and see the young guys loading up the bar on, for example, flat or incline bench and using poor form, I cringe because I know they'll develop shoulder problems later in life. :(

A few of my friends are serious weight lifters. All of them are younger than me, and all of them are always hurt somewhere. Back, shoulder, quad, groin, something. It's to the point where I just laugh at them now. "Great Dave, you can bench 435, awesome. How's your back again?"

I used to be in the gym 6 days a week. I did that for years but I never wanted to be big. My shoulders will blow up fast so I only do light weight and calisthenics (need to look good in a suit, not a small t shirt).

I hate running so ###### much! I flat out refuse to do it. My cardio pretty much only comes from hockey and softball. That, and teaching my son the finer points of route running, QB footwork and DB footwork. (That counts,right)

#113 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Played hockey my whole life, quit playing after 1 season of pro-hockey in Florida, moved to California and competed in triathlons for about 5 years. Finished up with an Ironman in 2005, had 2 young kids at the time, didn't have time to train, so got back into hockey playing advanced adult leagues. Now coach both of my boys teams here in soCal. Still workout everyday, gym, run, bike or hockey. I'm in the gym twice a week and do a little of every major muscle group each time I'm there. Spend most of my time on legs (squats, lunges and calf rasises), followed by a 15min stretch which works wonders.

Between adult league, and my boys, I'm on the ice literally 6 days a week. I work from home fulltime as a network engineer, so I find time to workout in the mornings or lunch time before heading off to a local rink in the evenings. It's an addiction. If I don't workout I feel achy and depressed. The hardest part is trying to eat right and get enough rest to recover for the next day.

Edited by pi2000, 03 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#114 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

USA Hockey is a HUGE advocate for drinking chocolate milk after a workout. They claim it's the best way to complement a workout.

#115 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

USA Hockey is a HUGE advocate for drinking chocolate milk after a workout. They claim it's the best way to complement a workout.

Someone's long Charmin stock........

#116 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

That's a great idea... if you want explosive diarrhea. :P

#117 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

That's a great idea... if you want explosive diarrhea. :P

I don't drink milk, chocolate or otherwise, so I'll have to take your and Dwight's word on it.

#118 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

All Sabres fans lives matter!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I think, just reading this thread gave me a hernia..... I think back to my few years in the service and how good of shape I was in, healthy, ate better, etc...... Now even though I have a small build/Frame I'm weighing it near 200 lbs. Granted I still look skinny (that will catch up to me) I don't have anywhere near the energy or stamina I used to.... I don't watch what I eat and play tennis as much as possible, but with a schedule that is never ever the same, I just have given up trying these days

#119 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Scary monsters and super creeps

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

For my part, I will paraphrase the title of the thread and say, " I sometimes break wind." :rolleyes:

#120 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Is there a good protein shake I can buy at Wegmans post work-out? I could do that tonight after I leave the gym - that's something I've never worried about, but it sounds as if it's very important within 30-60 minutes after exercise ends.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Fitness, Sports, Extra Curricular Activities, Workout, Fitness, Waffles