• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

http://blogs.buffalo...ing-sabres.html

Briere says he's talking with eight teams, including Sabres

July 2, 2013 - 8:02 PM

By John Vogl
There's about a 1 in 8 chance those Daniel Briere jerseys stuffed in the closets of Sabres fans will come back in style.
The free agent center, who was bought out by the Philadelphia Flyers, tells The Buffalo News he's had contract chats with Buffalo.
"We are talking to about eight teams," Briere said in a text. "Sabres one of them."
The 35-year-old had six goals and 16 points in 34 games last season. He was set to have a salary cap hit of $6.5 million for the next two seasons, but the Flyers used a compliance buyout and made him a free agent.
The former Buffalo co-captain helped lead the Sabres to the Eastern Conference finals in 2005-06 and '06-07.

#2 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Probably one if my least favorite Sabres ever but I gotta admit I wouldn't hate seeing him back in blue and gold.  Maybe I'm just that desperate to see NHL quality players on this roster.  If this means there is less chance of seeing Stafford, Porter, Flynn or Gerbe; I'm all for it.

#3 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Probably one if my least favorite Sabres ever but I gotta admit I wouldn't hate seeing him back in blue and gold.  Maybe I'm just that desperate to see NHL quality players on this roster.  If this means there is less chance of seeing Stafford, Porter, Flynn or Gerbe; I'm all for it.

Your last sentence summed it up beautifully for me.  Any legit NHL player that bumps one of those 4 off the roster is welcome in my book.

#4 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

View Postweave, on 02 July 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Your last sentence summed it up beautifully for me.  Any legit NHL player that bumps one of those 4 off the roster is welcome in my book.
Word.  Schopp was dead against it because he felt it would cost a young developing kid a roster spot. In my mind, signing Briere just removes dead weight.

#5 TheMadKat

TheMadKat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Interesting.... why is he one of your least favorite Sabres?

#6 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostTheMadKat, on 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Well, I should preface it with "at the time".  I like players who bring the pain.  Danny sure did have his share of well placed spears, but more often than not he was on the receiving end of a devastating check from the opponents.

Edited by inkman, 02 July 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#7 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

The chance of removal of these three especially for me in addition to Briere's veteran leadership skills are just a couple of the reasons I'd like to see him back.  I don't mind having Flynn around at all as a 4th line energy guy with a decent skill set.  Stafford needs a change of venue, while Porter/Gerbe have no business at all on any NHL roster.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 02 July 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#8 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Word.  Schopp was dead against it because he felt it would cost a young developing kid a roster spot. In my mind, signing Briere just removes dead weight.

I'm generally not one to get terribly bent over the decisions the team makes but I'd get pretty outspoken if one of those 4 yahoo's was costing. say Armia, a spot on the big league roster.

I would be OK with seeing 6 or so rooks on the roster next season, Pysyk, Risto, McNabb, Armia, Grigo, and Larsson.  But I'd also like to see additions to the roster that mean Gerbe, Porter, Flynn end up back down in Rochester where they belong.

#9 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postweave, on 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

But I'd also like to see additions to the roster that mean Gerbe, Porter, Flynn end up back down in Rochester where they belong.
It's a bit unfair because Flynn and Porter actually outplayed many on the roster during their stints, but I feel exactly the same way.

#10 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Sign him Buffalo, 1 year deal, let him be traded in March for more assets. Then resign him next summer again if he's willing to.

It'd be a win-win for both sides.

Briere gets to play near his home in a place he already likes, then gets to help a team in the playoffs
The Sabres get a clutch performer who has lots of playoff experience that he can teach the younger players on the roster. And then at the deadline some sort of asset on top of it.

#11 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

If our top 3 centers are Briere, Hodgson, and Grigo, I'm not seeing a whole lot of defense down the middle.  Briere would help the power play, but we're going to get scored on a ton.

#12 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostPotato, on 02 July 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

If our top 3 centers are Briere, Hodgson, and Grigo, I'm not seeing a whole lot of defense down the middle.  Briere would help the power play, but we're going to get scored on a ton.

Briere would probably play RW, as he did in Philly

#13 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

My lines:

Vanek-Hodgson-Grigs
Leino-Briere-Foligno
Tropp-Larsson-Ott

I'd play Grigs on the wing for now. Too much D responsibility for a yout.

#14 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 02 July 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Briere would probably play RW, as he did in Philly

Didn't he center Leno? I'm asking, I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm for this. Zemgus may need another full year in Rochester, Larsson may not be ready yet either and we only have 2 centers in Hodgson and Grigo. Briere adds a little scoring, veteran presence and leadership. He's as good a free agent signing as any and I really don't think it has anything to do with him playing here previously.

#15 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

View Postubkev, on 02 July 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Didn't he center Leno? I'm asking, I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm for this. Zemgus may need another full year in Rochester, Larsson may not be ready yet either and we only have 2 centers in Hodgson and Grigo. Briere adds a little scoring, veteran presence and leadership. He's as good a free agent signing as any and I really don't think it has anything to do with him playing here previously.

Yes he did, but for the last two seasons he played RW

#16 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

interesting

#17 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

My lines:

Vanek-Hodgson-Grigs
Leino-Briere-Foligno
Tropp-Larsson-Ott

I'd play Grigs on the wing for now. Too much D responsibility for a yout.

Where do you put Ennis?

#18 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 02 July 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Where do you put Ennis?
On another team

#19 beerme1

beerme1

First Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostTheMadKat, on 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Hearing RJ call his name repeatedly after a playoff game winner? If that doesn't raise the hair on your arms ye aint a Sabres fan. DANNY BRIERE! DANNY BRIERE! DANNY BRIERE! My personal thought is he would be crazy to come back here while he still has a shot at going for a cup somewhere and I would be shocked if he came back. Happy as hell but shocked.

#20 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Not sure if we're the right fit, and not sure why he would consider us but I would love Briere back on the Sabres.

#21 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 02 July 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Not sure if we're the right fit, and not sure why he would consider us but I would love Briere back on the Sabres.
A name change on the horizon? :flirt:

#22 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

A name change on the horizon? :flirt:

Can't believe you remembered that. I am actually pretty stunned.

Not sure if i did something wrong in the process, but whenever i log into this forum, i still need to go through my old user name. lol

#23 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

On another team

I'm down for that. What do the Sabres get in return?

#24 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 02 July 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Skittles? :unsure:

#25 stenbaro

stenbaro

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

He will add scoring..If he wants to come here sign him....I didnt want him over Drury yrs ago but he is much better than what we have at center now....No brainer...The only deterrent is we might win enuff games with him in the lineup to  draft 8th again...

#26 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 02 July 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Not sure if i did something wrong in the process, but whenever i log into this forum, i still need to go through my old user name. lol
You didn't do anything wrong, you're original user name is always your user name to log in.  (I suppose SDS or Chz could give you special dispensenation, but otherwise, it is what it is.)  Be thankful you didn't choose something seriously long w/ that one.

#27 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 02 July 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

It ain't happening but moving Ennis and Stafford for whatever would be prudent IMHO.  There not cup champion type players.

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,848 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Nailed it.

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

On another team

And nailed it again!

#29 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 July 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Nailed it.
And nailed it again!
I don't want anyone to think I dislike Tyler Ennis.  He's a neat little player.  The Sabres just don't have room for that type of player.

He could probably go to the Bruins or Kings and create a niche for himself.  As the Sabres are currently configured, he's got no place.

Edited by inkman, 02 July 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#30 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postthewookie1, on 02 July 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Sign him Buffalo, 1 year deal, let him be traded in March for more assets. Then resign him next summer again if he's willing to.

Briere gets to play near his home in a place he already likes, then gets to help a team in the playoffs
The Sabres get a clutch performer who has lots of playoff experience that he can teach the younger players on the roster. And then at the deadline some sort of asset on top of it.

I would welcome him back if this scenario played out. Even if he wasn't resigned after we gained some sort of asset at the deadline. Good call.

#31 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

I don't want anyone to think I dislike Tyler Ennis.  He's a neat little player.  The Sabres just don't have room for that type of player.
He could probably go to the Bruins or Kings and create a niche for himself.  As the Sabres are currently configured, he's got no place.

Wouldn't that just be a kick in the balls...if he was sent to LA or bean town and potted 30?

#32 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Welp, Ennis is a top six forward. Guess how many of those we have.  Hint: not six.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 02 July 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#33 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Welp, he's a top six forward. Guess how many of those we have.  Hint: not six.

Well I want him, and from the looks of Vinny's post buyout contract, he shouldn't cost too much of an over payment.

#34 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

View Postinkman, on 02 July 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

This take amuses me, because at this stage in his career, Briere is the same type of player as Ennis.  Yet you want to add Briere, and then proceed to say Ennis has no spot on the team.  I'm puzzled.

#35 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Welp, Ennis is a top six forward. Guess how many of those we have.  Hint: not six.

As Ink said, he's a good player, I just don't think he fits with what granddaddy DR is trying to build.

#36 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,212 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

I don't want Briere back. I would rather see where Ennis is headed than see what I know Danny brings.

Plus, I'm still sour on how he left. I know, I know. He really wanted to stay, blah, blah, blah… Bull. If he wanted to stay he would have. What he should have been saying was, "I really want to stay in Buffalo,… if the Sabres are willing to pay me more than any other team" (which we now have seen would have been an overpayment).

If they do bring him back, he shouldn't get any better an offer than they gave Hecht last year.

#37 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 02 July 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

because your log-in name is separate from your display name.

#38 sabills

sabills

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

My 20 y/o heart is screaming yes, but my 26 y/o head just isn't so sure. I think he'd be able to help out the younger scorers, but I don't want to pay alot, or keep him around for to long and impede them stepping in. I definitely don't want him if he is immediately given the C, I want that on a youngerish player, though this is less of a concern since Ruff isn't here anymore.

2 years, 3.5-4.5 mil per, and I'll be ok with it. And go to the first game just to chant his name.

Edited by sabills, 03 July 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#39 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

View Postthewookie1, on 02 July 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Little or no value on the trade market for Briere.

#40 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,848 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Would there be any age restrictions on Briere's contract?