Jump to content


Sabres Press Conference 7-2-13


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I listened to pieces of it. There are updates coming on Twitter.

The one thing I did not hear, but am now reading with interest: Darcy has been in touch with Briere's agent.

Other tidbits I can recall:

Devine was very "we'll have to see" about Risto possibly being on the big club this year -- said there were a bunch of RH guys ahead of him who have proven they can play in the NHL.

Rolston will likely be naming another assistant in the next week or so.

Grigorenko is playing with the Sabres next year -- no returning him to juniors and, obviously, no Amerks.

Vogl should have a recap on the Sabres Edge blog later today. Hoppe's write-up will be worth reading as well. Oh, and Kevin Alphabet from Roc will have a good Amerks angle.

#2 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Reposting from another thread:

In the presser, Darcy said the goalie market has stabilized and that he talked to Ryan Miller's agent this morning.
Reading between the lines this tells me the Luongo situation was the wild card in talks, the Miller suitors are being asked to ante up their best offers, and Ryan's input is being sought (NTC, possible extensions, etc.)

And another repost:

Presser: will target players who can help with the young core.
Briere completely makes sense.

Edited by dudacek, 02 July 2013 - 10:48 AM.


#3 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Also, if Risto doesn't make the Sabres, he'd go to Rochester.

#4 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Someone needs to start a twitter account called @PaulHamiltonsocks

#5 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 02 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Someone needs to start a twitter account called @PaulHamiltonsocks

Why? Was he wearing mismatched, pastille stripes?

#6 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 02 July 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Why? Was he wearing mismatched, pastille stripes?

Knee highs

#7 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 02 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Someone needs to start a twitter account called @PaulHamiltonsocks

I read that too fast and thought it said @paulhamiltonhamhocks

#8 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 02 July 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Also, if Risto doesn't make the Sabres, he'd go to Rochester.

Speaking of Roch, Eliis will be back there as Captain.

#9 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 02 July 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Why? Was he wearing mismatched, pastille stripes?

View Postdudacek, on 02 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Knee highs

Pure white.

Or should I say pure gold?

#10 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

  • Stats: 11 draft picks taken, highest in NHL.  5 in first two rounds, highest in NHL.  Most draft picks taken in first two rounds by Buffalo since '83.
  • Working on getting a deal to Matt Ellis.  They want him as Captain America(ns) if he's not in Buffalo.
  • Regier glad Weber's signed, considers him a good defensemen that improved a lot and continues to get better, but is a very imporatant "glue guy" in the locker room that will play an important role with the kids.
  • Will use UFA period to acquire players that not only perform well, but can serve as leaders for the kids.
  • Will be in contact with Danny Briere's agent.
  • New pre-UFA period allows contact, discussion, meetings prior to UFA signing period.  This period has strict rules about travel (no private jets), gifts, etc.  Regier thinks this levels the UFA-recruiting playing field for most teams, citing previous abuse of third party or back-channel communications to gauge interest of players.
  • Regier is putting it nicely that he's continuing to shop Vanek and Miller, but more accurately, he is continuing to evaluate the market for them.  Believes that with the other recent goalie signings, Miller's market changes a little, probably creating more demand for Miller.  They are very much open to keeping them both, and both are willing to talk about contracts, but Regier recognizes that he cannot let these players walk out the door as UFAs for nothing in return (and must gather offers in case things don't head in the keeping-them direction).
  • Regier also fielding offers/evaluating market for other players on roster.
  • Devine: Armia, Risto, others are all possible candidates for making the roster this season, but as always, it's up to the players to earn the roster spot.
  • Regier on McBain: a good defenseman that had a bad year, expects him to improve, cites McBain's established relationship with Rolston in the national program to help with that.  Potential for playing point on second powerplay unit.
  • Regier: defensive system Rolston has developed is benefitted by right handed-left handed defensive pairs, this helped drive the Sekera-McBain trade.  (FYI, Sabres had 8 left handed defensemen playing games last year and only 3 right handers, which includes Ruwedhel.)
  • Devine: had Compher rated as a late first round selection.  (This also helped drive Sekera trade.)
  • Devine let slip/implied that the top four D would include Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff (no order).  These are based on L-R pairings.
  • Expecting a primary assistant coach hired within about a week; Rolston has a specific candidate targeted.  Others later on, before training camp.  Teppo still on as assistant.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.


#11 Lanny

Lanny

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Devine let slip/implied that the top four D might be Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff, McBain (no order).  These are based on L-R pairings.

I don't think that's right as Myers, McBain and Pysyk are all right handed shots.

#12 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:


Sweet write-up dude.

#13 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostLanny, on 02 July 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I don't think that's right as Myers, McBain and Pysyk are all right handed shots.

Ah, you're right, I ###### that up.  He definitely said Myers and Pysyk, and the question was about McBain, so maybe not McBain....yet. Fixed-ish.

View PostSpndnchz, on 02 July 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Sweet write-up dude.

Gracias.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.


#14 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

much appreciated, IKP.

#15 LTS

LTS

    Who's next?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

I posted in the Free Agency thread too.. but since there is one for the presser specifically.  Is Paul Hamilton's quote correct about Briere?

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

As I stated there, if this is the statement then I see no reason to believe that the Sabres have contacted him.  Of course I did not see the presser, etc.

#16 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thanks, I missed it and that was a great overview.

#17 thanes16

thanes16

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 02 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Someone needs to start a twitter account called @PaulHamiltonsocks

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 02 July 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I read that too fast and thought it said @paulhamiltonhamhocks


I also read that fast and thought it said @paulhamiltonsucks

Not that I think that. Just momentarily thought it said that.

#18 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostLTS, on 02 July 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I posted in the Free Agency thread too.. but since there is one for the presser specifically. Is Paul Hamilton's quote correct about Briere? When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15. As I stated there, if this is the statement then I see no reason to believe that the Sabres have contacted him. Of course I did not see the presser, etc.

The implication was that "If you heard it's 15, then what I am telling you now does not make that number 16 ..." i.e., the Sabres are among the 15 interested teams that Briere's agent apparently reported to Hamilton (or to whomever).

EDIT: But I take your point. Hamilton's decent to listen to, but his writing is pretty turbl. Again, what DR was apparently saying was "You heard there are 15 teams interested? Well, I am telling you that the Sabres are interested, and the fact that I am telling you that now does not increase that number you heard to 16." Pretty roundabout way of saying "we're in the mix with Briere", but that was clearly the import.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 02 July 2013 - 12:26 PM.


#19 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

The implication was that "If you heard it's 15, then what I am telling you now does not make that number 16 ..." i.e., the Sabres are among the 15 interested teams that Briere's agent apparently reported to Hamilton (or to whomever).

EDIT: But I take your point. Hamilton's decent to listen to, but his writing is pretty turbl. Again, what DR was apparently saying was "You heard there are 15 teams interested? Well, I am telling you that the Sabres are interested, and the fact that I am telling you that now does not increase that number you heard to 16." Pretty roundabout way of saying "we're in the mix with Briere", but that was clearly the import.

The quote itself could also mean, "there are already 15 teams out there, and we don't intend to make it 16."

#20 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think DR is a lawyer (hi, 11) ...

... he can say many things without really saying anything ... :P

#21 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'd like to say an old school "Thank You Sabres" for emailing the today's 11:00 AM presser notice at 1:13 PM. ;)

#22 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 02 July 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

I think DR is a lawyer (hi, 11) ...

... he can say many things without really saying anything ... :P

i.e. WEASEL!!!

At least 11 is on the corp. side....they are more barracuda than weasel. You just stay out of the way of a barracuda and you are fine. A weasel lures you in by being all nice and fluffy, then steals all your chickens' eggs. Darcy and Ted are full of yolk....

#23 Patty16

Patty16

    High motor grinder

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 02 July 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

i.e. WEASEL!!!

At least 11 is on the corp. side....they are more barracuda than weasel. You just stay out of the way of a barracuda and you are fine. A weasel lures you in by being all nice and fluffy, then steals all your chickens' eggs. Darcy and Ted are full of yolk....

This would imply DR actually takes action...........

#24 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostPatty16, on 02 July 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:



This would imply DR actually takes action...........

If eggs = owners' $$ and fans' souls....then yes.

This is why I LOVE Devine....he is a scout's scout....is passionate...and gives you his honest opinion 99% of the time. Same reason I loved Nix and Gailey, although I really like Whaley as well. Even Schopp hinted yesterday for Hamilton to ask Devine questions because he is a straight shooter.

#25 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostEleven, on 02 July 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

The quote itself could also mean, "there are already 15 teams out there, and we don't intend to make it 16."

it could.

but here is what hamilton wrote:

After Tuesday’s press conference I had a chance to chat with Darcy Regier and he said the Sabres are interested and have contacted Briere’s agent.

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

based on what's bolded above, i trust that hamilton received a straightforward confirmation from DR that the sabres had been in touch with briere's agent and then followed up with the "hey there are 15 teams in the mix apparently ... ."

i really don't think DR is weaseling on this. i also don't think there's a chance that briere signs here (and that DR knows that as well).

Edited by That Aud Smell, 02 July 2013 - 01:12 PM.


#26 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 July 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

it could.

but here is what hamilton wrote:

After Tuesday’s press conference I had a chance to chat with Darcy Regier and he said the Sabres are interested and have contacted Briere’s agent.

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

based on what's bolded above, i trust that hamilton received a straightforward confirmation from DR that the sabres had been in touch with briere's agent and then followed up with the "hey there are 15 teams in the mix apparently ... ."

i really don't think DR is weaseling on this. i also don't think there's a chance that briere signs here (and that DR knows that as well).

I also just heard Hamilton speak on GR; he was more clear than he was in writing.  DR did say that the Sabres had talked with Briere's agent.

Edited by Eleven, 02 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.


#27 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Quote

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

But I take your point. Hamilton's decent to listen to, but his writing is pretty turbl.

View PostEleven, on 02 July 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I also just heard Hamilton speak on GR; he was more clear than he was in writing.

;)

#28 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,820 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 July 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

it could.

but here is what hamilton wrote:

After Tuesday’s press conference I had a chance to chat with Darcy Regier and he said the Sabres are interested and have contacted Briere’s agent.

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

based on what's bolded above, i trust that hamilton received a straightforward confirmation from DR that the sabres had been in touch with briere's agent and then followed up with the "hey there are 15 teams in the mix apparently ... ."

i really don't think DR is weaseling on this. i also don't think there's a chance that briere signs here (and that DR knows that as well).
Depends on what sort of relationship DR had w/ DB and how much of not getting an offer to his liking that DB places on DR vs LQ/TG.

I'd prefer not having him back at this point in his career but wouldn't be shocked to see him back.

#29 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

DR:  "Hey Danny, we'd like to sign you for what we offered you back in 2007".

#30 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostTaro T, on 02 July 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:


Depends on what sort of relationship DR had w/ DB and how much of not getting an offer to his liking that DB places on DR vs LQ/TG.

I'd prefer not having him back at this point in his career but wouldn't be shocked to see him back.

Not to get depressing, but once Danny left Buffalo, his marriage went bad. Maybe he has a little regret in him and would overlook Darcy. The fans loved him, he was a nice community asset....when you ride off into the sunset, not the worst place to be.

#31 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostTaro T, on 02 July 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Depends on what sort of relationship DR had w/ DB and how much of not getting an offer to his liking that DB places on DR vs LQ/TG.

Maybe. I think it more depends on the interplay of two factors: (1) How much Briere wants to play for a team that could contend and (2) how much he wants/needs to get the biggest payday he can (as Briere has no doubt discovered: divorce has a way of squeezing your finances).

#32 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,820 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 02 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Not to get depressing, but once Danny left Buffalo, his marriage went bad. Maybe he has a little regret in him and would overlook Darcy. The fans loved him, he was a nice community asset....when you ride off into the sunset, not the worst place to be.
He wouldn't be the 1st Sabre to end up in Buffalo for what looks/looked like the last kick at the can when he came back.

#33 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 02 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Not to get depressing, but once Danny left Buffalo, his marriage went bad. Maybe he has a little regret in him and would overlook Darcy. The fans loved him, he was a nice community asset....when you ride off into the sunset, not the worst place to be.

Was she a Buffalo girl? Or was she from his home province? I forget.

EDIT: Just remembered her name: Sylvie. She had to be from back home. We sat near them at Hutch's once -- she was such a cute gal.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 02 July 2013 - 01:49 PM.


#34 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 July 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:



Was she a Buffalo girl? Or was she from his home province? I forget.

EDIT: Just remembered her name: Sylvie. She had to be from back home. We sat near them at Hutch's once -- she was such a cute gal.

Good peeps...in all honesty, he would be good for Hodgson and Grigs....teach them how to be pros, but still hook a groin now and then.

#35 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,417 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

  • Stats: 11 draft picks taken, highest in NHL.  5 in first two rounds, highest in NHL.  Most draft picks taken in first two rounds by Buffalo since '83.
  • Working on getting a deal to Matt Ellis.  They want him as Captain America(ns) if he's not in Buffalo.
  • Regier glad Weber's signed, considers him a good defensemen that improved a lot and continues to get better, but is a very imporatant "glue guy" in the locker room that will play an important role with the kids.
  • Will use UFA period to acquire players that not only perform well, but can serve as leaders for the kids.
  • Will be in contact with Danny Briere's agent.
  • New pre-UFA period allows contact, discussion, meetings prior to UFA signing period.  This period has strict rules about travel (no private jets), gifts, etc.  Regier thinks this levels the UFA-recruiting playing field for most teams, citing previous abuse of third party or back-channel communications to gauge interest of players.
  • Regier is putting it nicely that he's continuing to shop Vanek and Miller, but more accurately, he is continuing to evaluate the market for them.  Believes that with the other recent goalie signings, Miller's market changes a little, probably creating more demand for Miller.  They are very much open to keeping them both, and both are willing to talk about contracts, but Regier recognizes that he cannot let these players walk out the door as UFAs for nothing in return (and must gather offers in case things don't head in the keeping-them direction).
  • Regier also fielding offers/evaluating market for other players on roster.
  • Devine: Armia, Risto, others are all possible candidates for making the roster this season, but as always, it's up to the players to earn the roster spot.
  • Regier on McBain: a good defenseman that had a bad year, expects him to improve, cites McBain's established relationship with Rolston in the national program to help with that.  Potential for playing point on second powerplay unit.
  • Regier: defensive system Rolston has developed is benefitted by right handed-left handed defensive pairs, this helped drive the Sekera-McBain trade.  (FYI, Sabres had 8 left handed defensemen playing games last year and only 3 right handers, which includes Ruwedhel.)
  • Devine: had Compher rated as a late first round selection.  (This also helped drive Sekera trade.)
  • Devine let slip/implied that the top four D would include Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff (no order).  These are based on L-R pairings.
  • Expecting a primary assistant coach hired within about a week; Rolston has a specific candidate targeted.  Others later on, before training camp.  Teppo still on as assistant.

I seriously can't believe it took something as simple as Ron Rolston to realize that R-L defense pairs are so important. Wow. I could have told Darcy to do that.

Thanks for the summary IKPhysics.

#36 superdave

superdave

    You're my boy, Blue

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Regier on McBain: a good defenseman that had a bad year, expects him to improve, cites McBain's established relationship with Rolston in the national program to help with that.  Potential for playing point on second powerplay unit.


Good luck with that thought.  May I suggest you check on where the Canes finished the season ranked on PP% and McBain couldn't make either unit on a regular basis.  I wish him well and hope he bounces back.  Maybe a change of scenery will help.

Edited by superdave, 02 July 2013 - 02:14 PM.


#37 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 July 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I seriously can't believe it took something as simple as Ron Rolston to realize that R-L defense pairs are so important. Wow. I could have told Darcy to do that.

GM listens to the coach.  It never seemed like that mattered to Ruff much.  Rolston's probably different.  Somebody said recently that it's more important than it used to be because of the increased speed of more aggressive forechecking.

View Postsuperdave, on 02 July 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Good luck with that thought.  May I suggest you check on where the Canes finished the season ranked on PP% and McBain couldn't make either unit on a regular basis.  I wish him well and hope he bounces back.  Maybe a change of scenery will help.

Welp, I watched McBain play well at Wisconsin, and he seemed to be on a fine developmental track.  Numbers show he also did well in Albany.  Then you guys got a hold of him.

#38 superdave

superdave

    You're my boy, Blue

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 July 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Welp, I watched McBain play well at Wisconsin, and he seemed to be on a fine developmental track.  Numbers show he also did well in Albany.  Then you guys got a hold of him.

Fair enough.  He may have been pushed into a position too soon and not given enough seasoning in the AHL.  Sometimes though, once a player gets in the doghouse, he never gets out with that team.

Have you seen him score the "own goal"?

#39 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postsuperdave, on 02 July 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Fair enough.  He may have been pushed into a position too soon and not given enough seasoning in the AHL.  Sometimes though, once a player gets in the doghouse, he never gets out with that team.

Have you seen him score the "own goal"?

Awesome backhand eh?

#40 superdave

superdave

    You're my boy, Blue

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 02 July 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Awesome backhand eh?

Best in the league.

That was a fluke, but what he does on a much too regular basis that drives me batty is to pass the puck from behind the red line into the slot in the defensive zone (you know, right in front of his goalie).  It makes my ass cheeks squench up every time.  Maybe the coaching staff needs a shock collar and a remote to help fix that.

Edited by superdave, 02 July 2013 - 03:44 PM.