2013 NHL Draft Grade

Buffalo Sabres

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Draft Day Grade

What grade do you give the Buffalo Sabres for the 2013 NHL Draft?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 (E5)

(E5)

Eklund's Rumors Are False (e5)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Now NHL Drafts do take time to show the results (usually around 4 years or so) but I provide a grade based on positional needs in the system and with the big club, and who was available to pick at the time of the draft.

I give Buffalo a B+ personally. Really hard to criticize the overall strategy: Upgrade the D which sorely needed it and get nastier, so very good job by Darcy and Co on that front.

Nice job with Zadorov and Ristolainen no question, but my only pet peeve would be drafting a skilled goal scoring forward at 8 or 16, or trading up to 5 to get Monahan or Lindholm, which would have given the Sabres an A in my book. the 2nd round has a chance to be superb, but as we know even 2nd round picks can be crap-shoots overall.

#2 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

Buffalo Sabres: A+

Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

Not that it means that much, because we'll see the true grade of this draft a couple of years from now, but the Sabres got the best grade from Grant Sonier, an NHL analyst for ESPN. Of course ESPN doesn't focus on hockey, but you gotta be a little impressed a guy from Quebec gave the Sabres the best draft grade. In my opinion, the Sabres deserve a B.

#3 frisky

frisky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Usually if you get 2 picks that make it all the way to being on the full time roster thats the usual. Maybe with so many upper picks this year we could hope for 3 or 4. But the draft isa crap shoot pretty much no matter what round you draft a guy.

#4 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

Denim Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I went A-

The minus is because I don't know for sure that there was no a semi reasonable deal to be made for moving up and getting Lindholm. If the Sabres found a way to pick Lindholm, I would have been very, very pleased.

#5 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

I liked the draft. My only grievance is not picking Fucale up. Complete error. Also we need to draft more wingers

A-

Edited by ThirtyEight, 01 July 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#6 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

B+

I was happy, met my expectations.
No top line forward that is near NHL ready is my only complaint.

#7 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postthanes16, on 01 July 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

Buffalo Sabres: A+

Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

Not that it means that much, because we'll see the true grade of this draft a couple of years from now, but the Sabres got the best grade from Grant Sonier, an NHL analyst for ESPN. Of course ESPN doesn't focus on hockey, but you gotta be a little impressed a guy from Quebec gave the Sabres the best draft grade. In my opinion, the Sabres deserve a B.

Soon to be a former ESPN analyst. He's leaving to head up a QMJHL franchise IIRC.  But good to see the Sabres draft class lauded by him and others considered to be "in the know".

#8 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Horvat, Lazar, Fucale, Dauphin, Bowey........ The players chosen directly after each of the Sabres picks in the first 2 rounds. I give that an A+ and will be interested to see how soon this is mentioned in the media. My guess is somewhere around May/June 2014.......I say B for guys chosen. I was in panic mode until they went forward bang/bang/bang in the 2nd.

#9 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Buffalo was given credit as one of the draft winners:
http://www.sbnation....-winners-losers

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 01 July 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Horvat, Lazar, Fucale, Dauphin, Bowey........ The players chosen directly after each of the Sabres picks in the first 2 rounds. I give that an A+ and will be interested to see how soon this is mentioned in the media. My guess is somewhere around May/June 2014.......I say B for guys chosen. I was in panic mode until they went forward bang/bang/bang in the 2nd.
Ristolainen - Horvat
Zadorov - Lazar
Compher - Fucale
Hurley - Dauphin
Bailey - Bowey

#10 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,016 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 01 July 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Horvat I liked but he's not a first line guy.......Lazar I'm not sure. I think he is more of a Dan Paille. 3rd line guy that can give solid minutes at the NHL level.

I thought each went too high. But I wouldn't have been disappointed with either, i just thought there was more value.

Edited by X. Benedict, 01 July 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#11 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Previously posted in the draft day thread:

The Hockey News, NHL Draft winners and losers: http://www.thehockey...and-losers.html

Buffalo
The Sabres used two picks in 2012 to shore up the middle of the franchise, taking Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons in the first round. This time, they went with a pair of big defenders in Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov. Ristolainen is closer to the NHL and has played against men back home in Finland for the past couple years, while Zadorov is a mammoth with a mean streak. The Sabres are becoming quite adept at filling their needs lately.

#12 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I say B+.  The two D are undeniably talented.  But not trading up and not getting a A1 Center or possibly an almost NHL ready A1 with a guy like Dauphin's mad skills in the 2nd was a mistake IMO.

Teams are built down the middle and the Sabres are missing the front end of the middle despite all the Grigerenko puck lickers.

Guess I will be waiting more than one more year because even a rookie needs time to develop, even an A1 kind of guy.  The guy up in Montreal Galynchuk (sp?) showed us a lot last year and will be better next year.  Sabres will have to wait at least 2 more years till a guy, they draft next year if they are really bad, is up to speed.

Edited by North Buffalo, 01 July 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#13 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Drafted a Notre Dame Commit = A+ from Glass.

#14 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 01 July 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

That's cool, but does ND have a decent hockey program?

Really.  I'm not sure.

#15 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,711 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 01 July 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Really.  I'm not sure.

They're like the San Jose Sharks.  They're good every year, but they're not going to win anything.

#16 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 01 July 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Two.

Really.  I'm not sure.

Yes.  That and they have an incredible coach.  If we had a prospect going the DI route, there's only one other coach I'd rather have them playing for.

#17 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Really.  I'm not sure.

Yes, they do.

#18 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

I'd say somewhere between B and B+ would be my grade.

I wanted Lindholm or Monahan with the 8 but Risto was my 3rd pick due to his Finnish connection to Armia.  
While we should of probably took a forward with the 16, the D-Man we took looks like he's going to be one hell of a bruiser. If either can become a Chris Pronger like D-Man, we'll be in good shape.
The 2nd round wasn't terrible either but left me feeling impatient about the Sabres plan of a rebuild.

#19 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Really.  I'm not sure.

Yes.

Frozen Four in 08 and 11
CCHA Champions in 07, 09, 13
NCAA Tournament in 4,7,8,9,11,13

Brand new $50M arena

Most importantly, Future Hockey Hall of Fame Coach Jeff Jackson

#20 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Really.  I'm not sure.

They do, actually a very good one, been in the frozen 4 recently 2008 finishing 2nd to BC and were ranked 4th overall last year but lost early on in the championship to a talented St. Cloud State.

#21 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, guys.

This bodes well.

#22 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 01 July 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Horvat I liked but he's not a first line guy.......Lazar I'm not sure. I think he is more of a Dan Paille. 3rd line guy that can give solid minutes at the NHL level.

I thought each went too high. But I wouldn't have been disappointed with either, i just thought there was more value.

I can't wait to see how Lazar ends up. I really feel he is Gare/Pominville put in a blender. I also love how he lit things up, but sort of regressed on the offense for a bit, but started to put it together again. To me, that got you value with him where he went. I love things with little downside but lots of upside and a "gut feeling" the guy has the goods between the ears. He's the only guy I "had to have" out of the whole group.

I liked Horvat, but in all honesty, at 8 I would have probably taken a flyer on the Russian.

I don't hate the draft...but it really doesn't seem like we made too much progress with trading away pieces. We are still in Limbo.

#23 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 01 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

B+

This.

X, GoDD, and Liger all made my draft preparation a lot more fun.  Thanks very much.

#24 PotentPowerPlay22

PotentPowerPlay22

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Solid A.

This was an excellent draft. Regier/Devine have done very well during the Pegula era.

All the negativity I hear about the team (on WGR in particular - what's wrong with those guys?) is based on emotion and frustration, but not on clear headed logic.

I like the direction the team is headed and I haven't been able to say that for many years. They aren't contenders yet, but they are on the rise with a draft based philosophy.

I'm optimistic that the team is headed in the right direction.

#25 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus was on Sports Radio 1270 today and gave his assessment of all eleven 2013 Sabres' picks: http://www.sportsrad...=5673&is_corp=0

He doesn't do draft grades, but definitely a good listen.

#26 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Alllan Muir of SI.com gives the Sabres an A+ : http://nhl.si.com/20...ern-conference/

Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres had an obvious need for size and talent on the back end and GM Darcy Regier addressed it in a way that exceeded the highest hopes of the team’s fans. Rasmus Ristolainen (8) and Nikita Zadorov (16) are big, mean, impact players. The second round was just as fruitful, with hard-working forwards JT Compher (35) and Connor Hurley (38) and sniper Justin Bailey (52) giving the front lines an injection of second/third line potential. Add in the trade that netted defenseman Jamie McBain from Carolina and the day could not have gone better for this rebuilding franchise. A+

#27 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 01 July 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Frozen Four in 08

oh, yes - nathan gerbe knows all about notre dame's appearance in the frozen 4 that year.

#28 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostPotentPowerPlay22, on 01 July 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Solid A.

This was an excellent draft. Regier/Devine have done very well during the Pegula era.

All the negativity I hear about the team (on WGR in particular - what's wrong with those guys?) is based on emotion and frustration, but not on clear headed logic.

I like the direction the team is headed and I haven't been able to say that for many years. They aren't contenders yet, but they are on the rise with a draft based philosophy.

I'm optimistic that the team is headed in the right direction.

As a Sabre fan from Day One, following this team is all about emotion and frustration. If I used clear-headed logic, I would have given up on this team halfway through this season and gone off to be a Blackhawks fan. But, my heart belongs to the Sabres, as difficult as it has been these past few years.  Heading in the right direction?  Time will tell, but Darcy has led us down this garden path before.

#29 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Clearly wanted to get bigger and more hard working.
Clearly got bigger and more hard-working.
But we also got five guys who can also play top 6/4 roles.
Not too many teams could say the same.
And we didn't reach for anyone.
Only flaw was a failure to trade for a scoring forward.
It will be interesting to compare Compher and Risto to Lindholm five years from now.

#30 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,681 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus was on Sports Radio 1270 today and gave his assessment of all eleven 2013 Sabres' picks: http://www.sportsrad...=5673&is_corp=0

Cliff notes please?

#31 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 01 July 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Cliff notes please?

It's a 14 minute plus interview. I posted the link so people can listen to it on their own and not have to worry about my possibly inaccurate filter.

He really loved the Sabres picks through the 3rd round w/o getting into individual analysis....besides that...my typing sucks.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 01 July 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#32 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 01 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

B+

Yet again I agree with your always level headed opinion on a topic. This was a good draft for the Sabres. They'll probably suck this season, but the draft was good independent of that.

#33 PotentPowerPlay22

PotentPowerPlay22

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostSabre Dance, on 01 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

As a Sabre fan from Day One, following this team is all about emotion and frustration. If I used clear-headed logic, I would have given up on this team halfway through this season and gone off to be a Blackhawks fan. But, my heart belongs to the Sabres, as difficult as it has been these past few years.  Heading in the right direction?  Time will tell, but Darcy has led us down this garden path before.

As a fan, emotion and frustration are evident. However, if you are analyzing what is best for the team then I will always side with logic and thoughtful objective evaluation.

As an example, if you analyze the trades Regier has made in the Pegula era. The Sabres have benefitted from almost every one of them.

Pominville,Regehr trade2,Leopold, Brennan,Roy,Hodgson,Gaustad,Regehr trade1 all winners in my book.

During the Rigas era, the Larry Quinn era and the Golisano era many of the decisions made were not hockey decisions, but financial decisions. Since Pegula has been owner I think Regier has done better than the haters believe. Of course, if you're drawing a conclusion based on emotion and frustration then Regier is viewed unfavorably to many people. If you look at his actions more objectively and logically he looks a lot better over the last couple years.

#34 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Yet another A for the Sabres draft: http://www.sportingn...ttsburgh-boston

BUFFALO SABRES: A. Added needed size on the blue line with two first-round picks, Finnish defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen and Russian Nikita Zadorov, then went for forwards with three second-round picks, J.T. Compher, Connor Hurley, and Justin Bailey. Made a solid trade, sending Andrej Sekera to Carolina for Jamie McBain and one of those second-rounders.

#35 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'd give it an A-. Addresses some of the needs of the team, but more to go.

I wrote somewhere else that this looks like year one of the two-year draft plan, with the plan being that without players to score goals the Sabres will be in the top-5 picks next year and pick up the top-6 forward they need. Ideally Darcy can flip assets (Miller for a young roster player and prospect, maybe?). If he'd gone the other direction, forwards this year then D, I think the forwards put enough pucks in the net to screw up draft position. 2013-14 will be lean, but ideally the picks from last year, this year, and next year all start to mature in 2015-16 to put something together.

"you have to give something to get something" is bandied around a lot, we fans are going to have to "give" 2013-14 to "get" a more promising 2015-16.

#36 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Hockey Prospectus NHL Draft Wrap-Up by Corey Pronman: http://hockeyprospec...?articleid=1550

First round: Buffalo walked away with two of the best defensemen in this draft class in Ristolainen and Zadorov. They are two big defenders who play different styles. Ristolainen is an older, more advanced player who played significant minutes in a top league. He is mobile and tough but can show above-average offensive ability and defend versus good players. He is the second-most NHL-ready defenseman in the 2013 draft class behind Jones. Zadorov is a tremendous physical specimen. He is 6'5'', 220 pounds, with great skating ability. He embraces the physical game and simply crushes opponents on a nightly basis. His offense is just average and he still needs work on his reads, but there is a lot of upside to his game. He will likely need a few years to fully develop before advancing to the NHL.

Rest of the picks: I'm a big fan of J.T. Compher. He can skate, handle the puck, make good reads in both ends, score, and play a gritty game. He has average size, but almost every other attribute about him is pointing in the right direction. Hurley could have been in my first round based on talent but I had him a little lower because he was a high school kid. He is a good to great skater, who can make a ton of plays with the puck but he could stand to be a little more aggressive in the physical game. Bailey is risk/reward pick. He is a big body with great hands and a top notch shot. He is a bit raw due to missing time from injuries and has a bit of an awkward stride. Baptiste came on well in the second half. He has great speed, plays hard, and has about average offensive potential. I liked Possler last year with the Swedish U18s. He is not the biggest guy, but he has quality speed and skill and fine potential in that range. Florentino is a defender with a good frame who scouts praise for his ability to move the puck well, and he has a big shot. Skating and defensive coverage are his issues going forward. Malone flashed good speed and skill with the USA Under-18 team. He has notable upside, and is certainly a guy to track when he starts playing at Harvard. Locke was touted in previous years, but never lived up the billing. He had a better year. He has quality skill and offensive hockey sense and is a nice flier type of pick to go with late.

Summary: Buffalo stocked their system at this draft, getting players of all types, and I'm not just saying that because their first five picks were suspiciously close to my rankings! They got a very good all-around defenseman, a physical monster on D, a great all-around center, a couple of toolsy forwards, a safe third line guy, some offensive gambles in the late rounds, and a goalie. As Buffalo looks to spark an organizational rebuild, this draft may prove to be a very key part of that.

#37 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostPotentPowerPlay22, on 01 July 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

As a fan, emotion and frustration are evident. However, if you are analyzing what is best for the team then I will always side with logic and thoughtful objective evaluation.

As an example, if you analyze the trades Regier has made in the Pegula era. The Sabres have benefitted from almost every one of them.

Pominville,Regehr trade2,Leopold, Brennan,Roy,Hodgson,Gaustad,Regehr trade1 all winners in my book.

During the Rigas era, the Larry Quinn era and the Golisano era many of the decisions made were not hockey decisions, but financial decisions. Since Pegula has been owner I think Regier has done better than the haters believe. Of course, if you're drawing a conclusion based on emotion and frustration then Regier is viewed unfavorably to many people. If you look at his actions more objectively and logically he looks a lot better over the last couple years.

I actually don't care whether Regier "won" or "lost" any trades.  I care whether or not the TEAM wins.  I'm emotional because I've followed my hometown NHL team since they were founded and frustrated because they have not won a Stanley Cup in 43 years, and haven't been "in the hunt" for over a decade.

I was in junior high when the Sabres came into being (1970).  I am planning on retiring in 6 or 7 years.  A Sabres' Cup win doesn't look imminent before then. That is just sad. Maybe a financially unfettered Regier will be able to build a winner.  I just hope that I'm not living in a retirement home in Boca Raton when it happens.....

#38 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

More high praise, this time from:

The Hockey Writers, 2013 NHL Draft Results: Top 10 Team Performances: http://thehockeywrit...m-performances/

1. Buffalo Sabres

From the onset to the conclusion, from round 1 through to round 7, from Ristolainen to Locke, no team had a better overall draft than the Sabres. Each pick presented really good value from the respective draft position. While Ristolainen and Zadorov add the obvious size, skill and skating ability to the blueline every team covets, the true gold mine was in the second round, where Cup contenders often find key contributors (see Blackhawks and Bruins lineups).

J.T. Compherhas the skill and will to be a winner. Connor Hurley possesses an impressive offensive skill-set; the youngest player drafted will need some time to develop before being NHL ready, but should be well worth the wait. Justin Bailey, son of former Buffalo Bills linebacker Carlton Bailey, has immense potential, but was slowed by injuries this past season. Eastern hockey bird dog Eldon MacDonald has stated that Bailey reminds him somewhat of former NHL great – the gentleman and ultra-smooth Jean Beliveau.

Attached Files

#39 sabre snipe

sabre snipe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

This guy is head over heels about the sabres draft...thinks its one of the most complete drafts by a team in over a decade. Means nothing, but refreshing to hear

http://thehockeywrit...rve-division-c/

#40 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I give them a C.

So they picked up a good defenseman, so what?  Given the talent in this draft, it would have been impossible NOT to pick up a good player at the nr. 8 slot.  So I don't give them much credit for that.

Sorry to be contrary, but you don't pass up on a player like Nichushkin period.  Particularly when this team is woefully short on scorers.  As I have said before, we have promising Dmen coming up, but no one (outside of Armia) coming up as a scoring forward.  Yes, I know there is a risk there, but when you have the chance to draft another Malkin, you don't hesitate because it is worth the risk (which IMO was minimal).  The Sabres will regret this, mark my words.

They do not get credit for Zadorov, who not only is another defenseman, but won't be playing for us for another 3 years or so, if then.  Instead they should have gone after Mantha or Shinkaruk, who again, could have helped up front.

Waiting until the 2nd round to pick up a forward was total negligence IMO.

Edited by Bullwinkle III, 08 July 2013 - 11:11 AM.