Jump to content


Darcy the scouting staff and the Draft


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

I don't usually stick up for Darcy but I don't believe he should be feeling the heat for all these picks. I think the scouting staff had numerous guys they targeted and they wanted those players they had on their board. Yes we passed on some quality offensive players but remember people they said be prepared for suffering. None of these players they picked yesterday are going to step in next year anyways except for a possibilty of Ristolainen. And to me Ristolainen seems like a solid pick plus you throw in a 6'5" Zadorov who can skate and hit. Wow all of a sudden we just got meanier on the back end. Plus 6 forwards taken 3 in the second round. Plus you throw in the 4th ranked goaltender. And the rebuild is underway. Yes we all know Darcy probably messed up when Carolina had targeted Sekera and Buffalo could have moved from 8 to 5. But I think Darcy, Kevin Devine and the rest of the scouts had targeted Ristolainen so they were comfortable on just sitting at 8. Then you can say that Kevin and the scouts really wanted TJ Compher that's why the Sekera trade went down. Plus you look at the draft for next year right now we have 1 1st rounder and 4 2nd rounders. Plus Vanek and Miller will be gone I'm guessing by trade deadline. So they will probably have more picks in 2014 and 2015. What are everyone's thoughts on the draft yesterday?

#2 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,183 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm fine w/ the draft (on paper, which is the only way to evaluate it today).

I fully expect to not be fine with what happens over the next couple of weeks.

#3 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

This may belong somewhere else (in an existing thread), and I'm fine if a mod wants to move it, but I will respond to it here: I follow the team's fortunes closely and consider myself a big fan, but I know next to nothing (or, in most cases, nothing) about anyone who was drafted yesterday. By all accounts, the team followed its board and got the best value it could where it was picking. Now, we get to wait several years before anyone from this draft class makes a measurable impact on the big club (I'm not buying the hype about the Finn at #8 being ready for the NHL this year).

I saw one scouting house project the Finn as a Kronwall type player, and the Rooskie as a bit of a project who could end up as a defensively minded top-4 crease-cleaner who strikes fear in opposing players. Yes and yes, please. No guarantees, obviously, but nothing wrong with those 2 picks at this point in time.

#4 etiennep99

etiennep99

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Lots of young Americans. I can't help but wonder how much Ron Rolston and Chad Cassiday
had a say in the draft.  Still it makes sense because the Sabres are happy to wait for
them to go to college.  Will all of those draft picks, if they all came to the NHL at
the same time, then they could end up in a situation like the Wild were in this year
where they felt like it was better to trade some of their surplus of prospects.  The
Sabres still need superstar players, not a bunch of joes, so it makes sense also to
continue the pain this year to hope for a superstar next year.

I am disappointed that they didn't draft Monahan, but quite happy that they passed
on KHL's Nichuskin.

As was stated elsewhere, having Meyers, Ristolainen, Zadorov, & McNabb will help
them against the superstar centers in the Adams division (Stamkos, Barkov) and
in the rest of the Prince of Wales (Malkin, Crosby, Staals) conference.  Just look at how Boston was able to
stifle Pittsburgh this year.

Edited by etiennep99, 01 July 2013 - 09:59 AM.


#5 Taro T

Taro T

    It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,183 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 01 July 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

This may belong somewhere else (in an existing thread), and I'm fine if a mod wants to move it, but I will respond to it here: I follow the team's fortunes closely and consider myself a big fan, but I know next to nothing (or, in most cases, nothing) about anyone who was drafted yesterday. By all accounts, the team followed its board and got the best value it could where it was picking. Now, we get to wait several years before anyone from this draft class makes a measurable impact on the big club (I'm not buying the hype about the Finn at #8 being ready for the NHL this year).

I saw one scouting house project the Finn as a Kronwall type player, and the Rooskie as a bit of a project who could end up as a defensively minded top-4 crease-cleaner who strikes fear in opposing players. Yes and yes, please. No guarantees, obviously, but nothing wrong with those 2 picks at this point in time.
And if only 1 of them pans out, they're still ahead.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of drafting 2 of something (D's or C's) pretty highly to increase the odds of hitting on at least 1.

My concern is that I don't expect them to do anything substantial in the FA market and I don't see them being active in the trade market until there's 1 week or less left before the trade deadline.

#6 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostTaro T, on 01 July 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

And if only 1 of them pans out, they're still ahead.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of drafting 2 of something (D's or C's) pretty highly to increase the odds of hitting on at least 1.

My concern is that I don't expect them to do anything substantial in the FA market and I don't see them being active in the trade market until there's 1 week or less left before the trade deadline.

Agreed and agreed. I am holding out hope that DR manages to move 1 of the 2 pending UFA's before the season begins. My fear is that the supply of UFA talent following buy-outs may dampen the market to a point where DR will feel he can't get sufficient value.

#7 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks, Aud, for a rare bit of draft modesty on here. I'm all over Rasmus though. My draft research shows he doesn't get enough fiber in his diet and has suffered from rabbit stools of late.

My question about the top of the draft is whether this signals that the Sabres are going to continue to "build from the goalie out" and whether this is something small-market teams do (offensive players are more expensive, keeping the puck out of the net is cheaper and so on). Again, just questions.

#8 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 July 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Thanks, Aud, for a rare bit of draft modesty on here. I'm all over Rasmus though. My draft research shows he doesn't get enough fiber in his diet and has suffered from rabbit stools of late.

My question about the top of the draft is whether this signals that the Sabres are going to continue to "build from the goalie out" and whether this is something small-market teams do (offensive players are more expensive, keeping the puck out of the net is cheaper and so on). Again, just questions.

Somebody hasn't been paying attention to the Dman and goaltending contracts handed out recently.

#9 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

My only gripe is that they have only drafted 4 wingers in the last 3 years, all RW. Otherwise i think our scouts have done alright, especially in the first round. Hopefully we will get some sleeper hits - we haven't got that lucky recently with late rounders

#10 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 01 July 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Somebody hasn't been paying attention to the Dman and goaltending contracts handed out recently.

That's why I posed questions. No need for snark. Educate me, Doc.

#11 etiennep99

etiennep99

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 01 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

My only gripe is that they have only drafted 4 wingers in the last 3 years, all RW. Otherwise i think our scouts have done alright, especially in the first round. Hopefully we will get some sleeper hits - we haven't got that lucky recently with late rounders

There are two reasons for drafting few left-wingers. 1. It's harder to find right-hand shots, so drafting right-handed right-wingers takes priority.2. The Sabres shift a lot of centres, for the same reason, over to the left wing.But, you're right, we seem to be overdue for some more luck with the long-shots. We had 11picks in a very deep draft.  Only Florida has had more in the 7 round draft era (13 in 2010);they've already seen 4 of them play NHL games.  We should hope for at least that many!Especially considering that Ristolainen and Zadarov seem like sure things.

#12 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

The issue I have isn't the players themselves. In all honesty, they are built well...better than Jones and Nurse in fact, and seem to enjoy using their bodies a bit, at least against teenagers (no Cliff joke here).....but if there is one thing Darcy has done well over the years, it is finding decent, usable defensemen in the 2nd round and on. Where he has been horrible is finding gritty, character forwards who can contribute on offense. I don't think we have seen one homegrown forward in his entire 16 years here. This draft was loaded with them, and we had the chance to grab 2 of them with the skill level to be in the NHL in short order.....the type of guys who win in the playoffs. That's what I fear. If you get a $1,000 voucher for a handyman service, and you are pretty good at fixing electrical issues on your own but have no clue about plumbing, why would you use that gift to have the guy wire in a generator to your house when you have a leaky sink and your toilets backup into your bathtub?

#13 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 01 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

The issue I have isn't the players themselves. In all honesty, they are built well...better than Jones and Nurse in fact, and seem to enjoy using their bodies a bit, at least against teenagers (no Cliff joke here).....but if there is one thing Darcy has done well over the years, it is finding decent, usable defensemen in the 2nd round and on. Where he has been horrible is finding gritty, character forwards who can contribute on offense. I don't think we have seen one homegrown forward in his entire 16 years here. This draft was loaded with them, and we had the chance to grab 2 of them with the skill level to be in the NHL in short order.....the type of guys who win in the playoffs. That's what I fear. If you get a $1,000 voucher for a handyman service, and you are pretty good at fixing electrical issues on your own but have no clue about plumbing, why would you use that gift to have the guy wire in a generator to your house when you have a leaky sink and your toilets backup into your bathtub?

Point of order: Ristolainen has been playing against men as a teenager for two years.

#14 tom webster

tom webster

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I don't usually stick up for Darcy but I don't believe he should be feeling the heat for all these picks. I think the scouting staff had numerous guys they targeted and they wanted those players they had on their board. Yes we passed on some quality offensive players but remember people they said be prepared for suffering. None of these players they picked yesterday are going to step in next year anyways except for a possibilty of Ristolainen. And to me Ristolainen seems like a solid pick plus you throw in a 6'5" Zadorov who can skate and hit. Wow all of a sudden we just got meanier on the back end. Plus 6 forwards taken 3 in the second round. Plus you throw in the 4th ranked goaltender. And the rebuild is underway. Yes we all know Darcy probably messed up when Carolina had targeted Sekera and Buffalo could have moved from 8 to 5. But I think Darcy, Kevin Devine and the rest of the scouts had targeted Ristolainen so they were comfortable on just sitting at 8. Then you can say that Kevin and the scouts really wanted TJ Compher that's why the Sekera trade went down. Plus you look at the draft for next year right now we have 1 1st rounder and 4 2nd rounders. Plus Vanek and Miller will be gone I'm guessing by trade deadline. So they will probably have more picks in 2014 and 2015. What are everyone's thoughts on the draft yesterday?

I agree with most of this and therein lies the rub for me. You can pick several of Darcy's moves, put them in a vacuum, and come to the same conclusion. The problem is the results don't indicate success. Building a team is about putting the right pieces together so that the whole is greater then the sum of the parts. My guess is that never having a clear direction, constantly trailing the market and never being held accountable all contributes to this lack of success. What my 53 years have told me, however, is that I am not sure about anything. Maybe he will stumble into success and I will be extremely happy about being wrong, but will I have been? Who knows.

#15 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 July 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Thanks, Aud, for a rare bit of draft modesty on here. I'm all over Rasmus though. My draft research shows he doesn't get enough fiber in his diet and has suffered from rabbit stools of late.

You're most welcome. And thank you for the tidbit on Rasmus's B.M.'s.

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 July 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

My question about the top of the draft is whether this signals that the Sabres are going to continue to "build from the goalie out" and whether this is something small-market teams do (offensive players are more expensive, keeping the puck out of the net is cheaper and so on). Again, just questions.

Not sure whether that is something that small-market teams do. It is, according to some, what (some of the) good hockey clubs do.

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 01 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

but if there is one thing Darcy has done well over the years, it is finding decent, usable defensemen in the 2nd round and on. Where he has been horrible is finding gritty, character forwards who can contribute on offense. I don't think we have seen one homegrown forward in his entire 16 years here. This draft was loaded with them, and we had the chance to grab 2 of them with the skill level to be in the NHL in short order.....the type of guys who win in the playoffs. That's what I fear. If you get a $1,000 voucher for a handyman service, and you are pretty good at fixing electrical issues on your own but have no clue about plumbing, why would you use that gift to have the guy wire in a generator to your house when you have a leaky sink and your toilets backup into your bathtub?

A more than fair concern.

#16 LTS

LTS

    Who's next?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

For what it's worth... ESPN gives the Sabres an A+ draft.

Buffalo Sabres: A+ -- “Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

One has to think that their ability to add these D-men to the system perhaps allows for a move later on should they develop as projected?  It's not impossible to think that someone might come calling for Ehrhoff at some point even though his contract is long it's not expensive.  Myers?  Well, who knows.

#17 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 01 July 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Point of order: Ristolainen has been playing against men as a teenager for two years.
True....he doesn't come across as a bruiser. He will handle himself though. The Russian will be interesting. I like his jib that he came over to Canada and had no English to him but took to it in short order. He wants to hit he says....hope so.

#18 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Posttom webster, on 01 July 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

My guess is that never having a clear direction, constantly trailing the market and never being held accountable all contributes to this lack of success.

I very much agree that he is furiously playing catch-up with how the game is currently being played and in what direction(s) it appears headed. I heard several quotes from DR this weekend about how bigger/rougher/nastier is the way the game's headed now. My concern: By the time these players are ready to contribute, the game's direction could have shifted again.

One thing I will grant DR: He foresaw and properly planned for the game's direction in 2003-2004.

#19 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 July 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Thanks, Aud, for a rare bit of draft modesty on here. I'm all over Rasmus though. My draft research shows he doesn't get enough fiber in his diet and has suffered from rabbit stools of late.

My question about the top of the draft is whether this signals that the Sabres are going to continue to "build from the goalie out" and whether this is something small-market teams do (offensive players are more expensive, keeping the puck out of the net is cheaper and so on). Again, just questions.

I think they had to address center last year. If anything, not picking a center was a vote of confidence in Grigo.
Going big on the blueline.....I think it is a reaction to where they think the division is going.

Edited by X. Benedict, 01 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.


#20 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Nice to see everyone chilling the ###### out a little.

We had another good draft and it will, like always, be very interesting to these kids develop.

The opening day roster could be a little bit of a cringer on paper, but as long as John Scott continues to photobomb rookie interviews, this team will be fun to watch.

#21 Numark

Numark

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

This will be a great draft if these players turn out to be great players.  This will be a bad draft if these players turn out to be bad players.  We have no idea how anyone will turn out so there is not a reason not to be excited at potential, and the fact we get to watch some highly rated prospects hopefully make it to the NHL and succeed.

#22 repster

repster

    Tim Murray: no mistakes like this guy

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostLTS, on 01 July 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

For what it's worth... ESPN gives the Sabres an A+ draft.

Buffalo Sabres: A+ -- “Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

One has to think that their ability to add these D-men to the system perhaps allows for a move later on should they develop as projected?  It's not impossible to think that someone might come calling for Ehrhoff at some point even though his contract is long it's not expensive.  Myers?  Well, who knows.

If you Google nhl draft grades 2013 and look at the various outlets giving their opinions, the Sabres were given either A+, A or A- by every single one of them - for what it's worth.

#23 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 01 July 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

a reaction to where they think the division is going.

I get the sense that the franchise has been doing a lot of reacting of late. It's a little bit like when teams were drafting in order to deal with Belicheck's [sic] 2 TE sets (and believe me, with the recent developments, he's already moved onto something else). Remember when no one could keep up with us in 2006? Remember the K-Gun? I look forward to the day when our teams are ahead of the curve again. For the time being, I would be plenty satisfied with the Sabres hitting it big on a few of these prospects.

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 01 July 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

The opening day roster could be a little bit of a cringer on paper

There's something liberating in that.

#24 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

    Brighter days ahead...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 01 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

The issue I have isn't the players themselves. In all honesty, they are built well...better than Jones and Nurse in fact, and seem to enjoy using their bodies a bit, at least against teenagers (no Cliff joke here).....but if there is one thing Darcy has done well over the years, it is finding decent, usable defensemen in the 2nd round and on. Where he has been horrible is finding gritty, character forwards who can contribute on offense. I don't think we have seen one homegrown forward in his entire 16 years here. This draft was loaded with them, and we had the chance to grab 2 of them with the skill level to be in the NHL in short order.....the type of guys who win in the playoffs. That's what I fear. If you get a $1,000 voucher for a handyman service, and you are pretty good at fixing electrical issues on your own but have no clue about plumbing, why would you use that gift to have the guy wire in a generator to your house when you have a leaky sink and your toilets backup into your bathtub?

View Posttom webster, on 01 July 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

I agree with most of this and therein lies the rub for me. You can pick several of Darcy's moves, put them in a vacuum, and come to the same conclusion. The problem is the results don't indicate success. Building a team is about putting the right pieces together so that the whole is greater then the sum of the parts. My guess is that never having a clear direction, constantly trailing the market and never being held accountable all contributes to this lack of success. What my 53 years have told me, however, is that I am not sure about anything. Maybe he will stumble into success and I will be extremely happy about being wrong, but will I have been? Who knows.

Thanks - you stated exactly what I was thinking.  Saved me a lot of typing....

View PostNumark, on 01 July 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

This will be a great draft if these players turn out to be great players.  This will be a bad draft if these players turn out to be bad players.  We have no idea how anyone will turn out so there is not a reason not to be excited at potential, and the fact we get to watch some highly rated prospects hopefully make it to the NHL and succeed.

That's fine if you find watching prospects mature entertaining.  I prefer watching a team full of confident, hard working players win a Stanley Cup.  Shall I leave a wake-up call for 2017?

Edited by Sabre Dance, 02 July 2013 - 08:34 AM.


#25 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,710 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostNumark, on 01 July 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

This will be a great draft if these players turn out to be great players.  This will be a bad draft if these players turn out to be bad players.  We have no idea how anyone will turn out so there is not a reason not to be excited at potential, and the fact we get to watch some highly rated prospects hopefully make it to the NHL and succeed.

What if half of them turn out to be great and the other half turn out to be bad?

#26 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 01 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Where he has been horrible is finding gritty, character forwards who can contribute on offense. I don't think we have seen one homegrown forward in his entire 16 years here. This draft was loaded with them, and we had the chance to grab 2 of them with the skill level to be in the NHL in short order.....the type of guys who win
Paille was supposed to be that guy. Before that, Barrett Heisten.
Maybe Compher will third time lucky.

#27 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

View Postdudacek, on 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:


Paille was supposed to be that guy. Before that, Barrett Heisten.
Maybe Compher will third time lucky.

I think Kassian is 3rd time lucky.....

My "over the ledge" moment will be when Torts is coaching Horvat and Kassian on the same line as they lead the Canucks to the finals in the next 2 years!

#28 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 02 July 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

There's something liberating in that.

There is.  Some of the best movies I see in the theater are the ones that I have no expectation of being any good- then I end up pleasantly surprised that the cinematic turd sandwich I thought I was going to see was pretty enjoyable.  You can free yourself from expectation with this team.  Don't demand a contender, just enjoy the show.  Watch the kids grow up, watch the new coach work, and enjoy wins as they come.  Suffering's not suffering if you don't let the losses hurt.

Not everyone can or wants to do this, and I'm not preaching it, but it'll be the path for some.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 02 July 2013 - 09:57 AM.


#29 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Kassian has the body and the nasy streak. But he never had the character.
(Or at least not after he saw Lindy massage Lukey with a stick.)

Seriously though, Torts and Kassian had never occurred to me before.
That will be interesting to watch.

#30 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postrepster, on 02 July 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

If you Google nhl draft grades 2013 and look at the various outlets giving their opinions, the Sabres were given either A+, A or A- by every single one of them - for what it's worth.

That's based on the first exam of the semester. Has anyone bothered to grade these drafts five years later and compare the scores?

#31 skaught

skaught

    Rolston Centipede

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 01 July 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

The opening day roster could be a little bit of a cringer on paper, but as long as John Scott continues to photobomb rookie interviews, this team will be fun to watch.

And don't forget Steve Ott being Steve Ott, that's always entertaining.

#32 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Kass and torts are not gonna mesh good together

#33 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 02 July 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Kass and torts are not gonna mesh good together

I think they will be good. Torts hates fools, and Kassian can be a big fool at times....but torts also loves guys who have a fun streak to them if they are willing to go out and punish people and play hard, which Kassian also has the ability to do. I think Torts will get a kick out of Kassian. He will be frustrated by him at times and have to maybe send a message, but he likes a give-and-take with players he respects. Bellicheck is a lot like that. If you are a pure fool, he doesn't want you. If you are "fun", he can work with you as long as you are dedicated and know your role. The difference between Torts and Lindy in their "gruffness" is I feel Torts tries to leverage that personality into a stronger player. Lindy has the same ability for give and take, but it is usually only with older guys...he usually tries to drive his system and command home to the younger guys, and for far too long Buffalo tried to develop their core of younger guys....so it went stale.

I would look for both NY and Vancouver to do at least as well as last year.

#34 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I dont think kass is a play hard type of guy. That is where i think the friction will be. Torts will want more effort more often. Kass will get moody and tune him out. Torts will be torts and call him out/bench him/send him to ahl. I dont think it ends well for either of them

#35 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 02 July 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

I dont think kass is a play hard type of guy. That is where i think the friction will be. Torts will want more effort more often. Kass will get moody and tune him out. Torts will be torts and call him out/bench him/send him to ahl. I dont think it ends well for either of them

We shall see. I feel Kassian has an on/off switch, and it will be up to Tortorella to get him to keep the switch ON at all times...but with a dimmer. He was able to do that for the Rangers young D-men and they really developed. I like how they are going with Luongo. He should calm down now that there isn't revolving goalies. Lou for 60 and someone Marty/Emery type to work hard, keep things loose, and play 22. I would also expect them to add a Morrow or Iginla type to the roster as they have already added Horvat. I'm excited to see what they will all do together.

#36 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 02 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:



I think they will be good. Torts hates fools, and Kassian can be a big fool at times....but torts also loves guys who have a fun streak to them if they are willing to go out and punish people and play hard, which Kassian also has the ability to do. I think Torts will get a kick out of Kassian. He will be frustrated by him at times and have to maybe send a message, but he likes a give-and-take with players he respects. Bellicheck is a lot like that. If you are a pure fool, he doesn't want you. If you are "fun", he can work with you as long as you are dedicated and know your role. The difference between Torts and Lindy in their "gruffness" is I feel Torts tries to leverage that personality into a stronger player. Lindy has the same ability for give and take, but it is usually only with older guys...he usually tries to drive his system and command home to the younger guys, and for far too long Buffalo tried to develop their core of younger guys....so it went stale.

I would look for both NY and Vancouver to do at least as well as last year.

Belichek was fine with Aaron Hernandez.

Edited by Andrew Amerk, 02 July 2013 - 11:53 PM.


#37 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I don't usually stick up for Darcy but I don't believe he should be feeling the heat for all these picks. I think the scouting staff had numerous guys they targeted and they wanted those players they had on their board. Yes we passed on some quality offensive players but remember people they said be prepared for suffering. None of these players they picked yesterday are going to step in next year anyways except for a possibilty of Ristolainen. And to me Ristolainen seems like a solid pick plus you throw in a 6'5" Zadorov who can skate and hit. Wow all of a sudden we just got meanier on the back end. Plus 6 forwards taken 3 in the second round. Plus you throw in the 4th ranked goaltender. And the rebuild is underway. Yes we all know Darcy probably messed up when Carolina had targeted Sekera and Buffalo could have moved from 8 to 5. But I think Darcy, Kevin Devine and the rest of the scouts had targeted Ristolainen so they were comfortable on just sitting at 8. Then you can say that Kevin and the scouts really wanted TJ Compher that's why the Sekera trade went down. Plus you look at the draft for next year right now we have 1 1st rounder and 4 2nd rounders. Plus Vanek and Miller will be gone I'm guessing by trade deadline. So they will probably have more picks in 2014 and 2015. What are everyone's thoughts on the draft yesterday?

I understand where you're coming from and in principle I agree with you.

HOWEVER this case is an exception.  I say that because I don't believe Nichushkin is just another good forward.  This guy has the talent to be a game change...a superstar.  Of course there are no guarantees, but how many opportunities does a team have to draft a potential Malkin?  When the potential prize is that good, you have to take the risk IMO and to hell with conservative thinking.

View Postrepster, on 02 July 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

If you Google nhl draft grades 2013 and look at the various outlets giving their opinions, the Sabres were given either A+, A or A- by every single one of them - for what it's worth.

I have been reading those reviews in an effort to keep my blood pressure under control.  I have been semi-successful.  Ristolainen seems like as sure a pick to make the NHL as you can get at nr. 8, so I'm consoling myself with that fact.  I still think our problem is more at forward than defense, but I am coming around...slowly.  (P.S. Picking Zadorov instead of Shinkaruk or Mantha, isn't helping either).

#38 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

The more I read, the more I'm impressed with our second round selections.  Maybe that's a testament to how deep this draft was or what you can do when you take an already good drafting team and give them unlimited scouting resources.  Kevin Devine could turn out to be Jim Benning II.

#39 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 03 July 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

The more I read, the more I'm impressed with our second round selections.  Maybe that's a testament to how deep this draft was or what you can do when you take an already good drafting team and give them unlimited scouting resources.  Kevin Devine could turn out to be Jim Benning II.

I really don't know who Jim Benning is, but I hope you're right.  My only regret about the second round is that we didn't take Carrier.  That kid could be a real star.

#40 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 03 July 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

The more I read, the more I'm impressed with our second round selections.  Maybe that's a testament to how deep this draft was or what you can do when you take an already good drafting team and give them unlimited scouting resources.  Kevin Devine could turn out to be Jim Benning II.

If there is one person in the organization I love, it is Devine.