Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1044 replies to this topic

Poll: Vanek/Miller Poll (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Vanek be traded? When?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Will Miller be traded? When?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

See poll, poll it up.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 24 June 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#2 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

First into the polling booth.

#3 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

The "we want to keep them both" is the kiss of death. It would have been better if he had said it in a garbled voice while sitting at a table in  an Italian restaurant, with a bowl of pasta in front of him..  Be there for the Sabres next  play off bid in 2020 .maybe .lol

Edited by waldo, 24 June 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#4 DGW54321

DGW54321

Welcome back Ted!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Vanek at trade deadline, Miller on draft day.

Edited by DGW54321, 24 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#5 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

People will call me crazy, but I have this terrible feeling that we're headed for another 2007. I just think that, with them on the roster, this team is going to be NEAR contention for a playoff spot and Darcy will hold out hope that a run to the playoffs will get them both to resign. I guess it's because my gut tells me not to get my hopes up on the right move being made.

(I don't think I actually believe this, I just think I'm in denial of anything actually happening. I want it to, even though I will be sad to see them go. I'm 100% convinced that Miller SHOULD be moved either way).

Edited by DStebb, 24 June 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#6 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Darcy is incapable of doing things in an expedited manner.  While most of us recognize that if they want to move one or both guys they should do so ASAP, history tells me Darcy will wait.... and wait... and wait... and...

I'd like to see Miller moved pre-draft.  I'd like to see Vanek resigned to an extension.

#7 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostDStebb, on 24 June 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

People will call me crazy, but I have this terrible feeling that we're headed for another 2007. I just think that, with them on the roster, this team is going to be NEAR contention for a playoff spot and Darcy will hold out hope that a run to the playoffs will get them both to resign. I guess it's because my gut tells me not to get my hopes up on the right move being made.

(I don't think I actually believe this, I just think I'm in denial of anything actually happening. I want it to, even though I will be sad to see them go. I'm 100% convinced that Miller SHOULD be moved either way).
I agree, for a different reason.

Pegula will not authorize a trade because he believes he can convince them both to stay. They both end the season as Sabres and their rights are traded for modest picks, right before July 1st,  when it finally sinks in they are leaving.

#8 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostDStebb, on 24 June 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

you are a romantic

View PostDGW54321, on 24 June 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

+1

Edited by waldo, 24 June 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#9 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Possibly keep Vanek at least thru till next year's trade deadline.  Miller gone... soon.

#10 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 24 June 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Possibly keep Vanek at least thru till next year's trade deadline.  Miller gone... soon.
Agreed. I don't think the return will bad either.

#11 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostDGW54321, on 24 June 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'm with your assessment on this one.
Of course, it's all a crap shoot, both could go on draft day, Vanek in a package for one of the top 4 picks, but I'm more inclined to believe deadline day as well as it maximizes the return, a la Pominville.

#12 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I will very surprised if Miller is not moved during or before the draft.
Vanek will be kept in the hopes they can resign him prior to the deadline, where he will be traded for a good haul, if unsigned.
Not only do I believe it is what will happen, I also - surprisingly - believe it is the right thing to do.

Edited by dudacek, 24 June 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#13 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

View Postdeluca67, on 24 June 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

I agree, for a different reason.

Pegula will not authorize a trade because he believes he can convince them both to stay. They both end the season as Sabres and their rights are traded for modest picks, right before July 1st,  when it finally sinks in they are leaving.

Not buying your product for a second. Regier will move them both, either this off season or at the deadline.

#14 Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

I WANT both to be traded, preferably Miller this week (not because I don't like him, I love Ryan, but because I feel Enroth is ready to be a starter for us) and get some decent value for him not great, but all it takes is 2 teams that could drive up the price. I also voted Miller will be traded before the draft because that's what I feel happens.

I voted Vanek will be resigned because I believe he will be convinced by Darcy to captain this team and lead all the young guns we have. I want Vanek to be traded at the 2014 deadline because I feel we could get a ton of value then especially if someone can get him signed long term in that deal, but obviously management won't want to lose the only "star" we have.

#15 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

As far as Miller's limited NTC: He's said before he wouldn't get in front of a trade. I'm assuming he'd use it only if Buffalo came to him and said "look, we have a few good deals on the table." He'd then choose the best one of the group.

#16 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

I went with Miller stays and Vanek is trade deadline

#17 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,861 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

View Postwjag, on 24 June 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

I went with Miller stays and Vanek is trade deadline

Interesting. The opposite of what many think. Why?

#18 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think they're both gone before the 1st round ends.  Although to be completely honest, none of the possibilities would surprise me.

#19 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 June 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

I can't fathom rebuilding without Miller and Vanek's price will be too steep at draft.  A desperate team will pay for Vanek at the trade deadline though.

#20 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,427 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Pardon me for not having read through the various Miller trade threads. Maybe someone brought this up. The Olympic factor. Regier's on record as saying the Sabres benefited from Miller being insanely focused in 2009-2010. If the idea is to make a run at the playoffs a lot sooner than he's peddling to the fans, he might just keep Miller around and hope lightning strikes again.

#21 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 24 June 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Because, I would bet Miller is his favorite player and thinking with your heart instead of your head always skews judgement.

#22 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

If this team gets rid of either Vanek or Miller before they dump Drew Stafford, there is something seriously wrong with the management.

#23 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

View Postdrunken idiot, on 25 June 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Because, I would bet Miller is his favorite player and thinking with your heart instead of your head always skews judgement.

Miller is not my favorite player, far from it.  I don't think Enroth is ready.  I think you rebuild the forward/defense corp first.  I'm not in a rush to run the two veterans out of town and watch an 82-game train wreck.

#24 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostJsixspd, on 25 June 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

If this team gets rid of either Vanek or Miller before they dump Drew Stafford, there is something seriously wrong with the management.

Staffords a keeper.lol

#25 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

View Postwjag, on 25 June 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Miller is not my favorite player, far from it.  I don't think Enroth is ready.  I think you rebuild the forward/defense corp first.  I'm not in a rush to run the two veterans out of town and watch an 82-game train wreck.

What, the 48-game train wreck wasn't an enticing enough preview for you to want to see the full feature? :P

#26 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

For the next ten years. Been there done that. Darcy could not find  a real center  for the last six , what makes anybody believe he can rebuild a team from zero and that our coaching staff can properly develop talent. The only highlights in the 48 game train wreck were Miller and Vanek . If i want to watch AHL hockey I guess i can turn on  Grand Rapids.

Edited by waldo, 25 June 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#27 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I think Vanek will go.  He seems to have indicated he wants to or at least hasn't really said he wants to stay.  Miller I think wants to stay and he may.  Hard to tell at this moment in time.

To your point, Stafford should be gone well before either of them.

#28 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Its a quantified fact that there is something seriously wrong with management. We've made the playoffs 4 times in the last 11 years.

#29 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 25 June 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I think Vanek will go.  He seems to have indicated he wants to or at least hasn't really said he wants to stay.  Miller I think wants to stay and he may.  Hard to tell at this moment in time.

To your point, Stafford should be gone well before either of them.

IMO that would be a mistake.  We have a suitable, if not fully tested, replacement for Miller.  What we don't have is scoring LW's beyond Vanek.  If anything, Miller should be the one moved because we have a ready fill in for him.

I know you didn't say "this is what I want".. You said "this is what I think happens".  So this reply isn't at you really.

#30 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

View Postweave, on 25 June 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

IMO that would be a mistake.  We have a suitable, if not fully tested, replacement for Miller.  What we don't have is scoring LW's beyond Vanek.  If anything, Miller should be the one moved because we have a ready fill in for him.

I know you didn't say "this is what I want".. You said "this is what I think happens".  So this reply isn't at you really.
No worries.  I want Vanek to stay and Miller I am 50/50 on his staying or going.

#31 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

What I think they'll do and what they actually do are two sides to a coin so what I want them to do is get back as much as they can and move both. This team without one or the other is really going to suck so you might as well move them both and go all in on the rebuild. I'm resigned to the suffering bit Darcy spoke of regardless of it being by design or not. This team was bad in so many fundamental ways last season and I believe we were in for some suffering watching that squad anyways. Might as well bite the bullet and do this right.

#32 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

They'll eff this up bigtime.  Vanek at the 2014 deadline for some pick or something stupid, and Miller walks for nothing a la Briere & Drury next summer.

#33 bobis

bobis

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Miller is not my favorite player, far from it. I don't think Enroth is ready.  I think you rebuild the forward/defense corp first.  I'm not in a rush to run the two veterans out of town and watch an 82-game train wreck.

Why do you think this? He is 25 and has 3 years of backup experience. Just won the gold for Sweden, albeit in a back up role, but has had equal to better numbers than Miller. What more does he have to prove? I don't know if you were hot after Bernier but he has almost identical numbers, years and is the same age. Why is Bernier ready and Enroth is not?

#34 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Postdrunken idiot, on 25 June 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Why do you think this? He is 25 and has 3 years of backup experience. Just won the gold for Sweden, albeit in a back up role, but has had equal to better numbers than Miller. What more does he have to prove? I don't know if you were hot after Bernier but he has almost identical numbers, years and is the same age. Why is Bernier ready and Enroth is not?

Idk what more he has to prove.  Given a chance to play everyday, he just might be it.  Call my doubt a gut feeling.  No opinion on Bernier.  I felt the same way about Rask though and he sure held his own this year.

#35 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postwjag, on 25 June 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Idk what more he has to prove.  Given a chance to play everyday, he just might be it.  Call my doubt a gut feeling.  No opinion on Bernier.  I felt the same way about Rask though and he sure held his own this year.

I have the same gut feeling as you.  Nineteen game losing streaks tend to do that.  I'm still all for trading Miller now, though; with the insane plan of "we'll be good in three years" that this team is following, there's no need to keep him this year.

#36 DHawerchuk10

DHawerchuk10

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostDStebb, on 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

As far as Miller's limited NTC: He's said before he wouldn't get in front of a trade. I'm assuming he'd use it only if Buffalo came to him and said "look, we have a few good deals on the table." He'd then choose the best one of the group.

Really?  When did he say this?  If true, I would be talking Garth Snow's ear off trying to either get #15 or Nino if I were Darcy.

#37 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostDHawerchuk10, on 25 June 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Really?  When did he say this?  If true, I would be talking Garth Snow's ear off trying to either get #15 or Nino if I were Darcy.

I'd think we could get Nino and 15 if he'll sign an extension as part of the trade.

#38 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postdrunken idiot, on 25 June 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Actually, Enroth was the starter. Markstrom  was the backup.

#39 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

I voted for won't be traded for both.

For Vanek, because i do not want to lose him and for Miller because we do not find a partner who will send us a decent package back.

Both players have more than five decent years in their tank, so it would not be a big risk to extend their big contracts for five to six years. If we do extend them for eight years we would have some trouble then.

Another low side would be, that we won't suck with Vanek and Miller as without them and that we won't contend for a high draft pick.

Maybe i would not be a good GM, but i think it should be mandatory to try to have the best team possible each season. The tactic to tank with purpose for picks is maybe succesful but i think it is a tactic without honor.

#40 kballhog

kballhog

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

I exercised my democratic right to vote!