373 replies to this topic

#81 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Eichel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

It makes absolutely zero sense for the Buffalo Sabres not to buy out Ville Leino. Stafford I can almost understand. Keeping Leino and his $18 mil on the books is inexcusable and a bad sign Darcy Regier is still not willing to part with his mistakes to the point of being a detriment to the franchise.

Why do you always fixate on actual money rather than cap hit? I highly doubt Leino's 4.5 mil will prevent us from any sort of move, so there's really no reason to buy him out.

#82 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Why do you always fixate on actual money rather than cap hit? I highly doubt Leino's 4.5 mil will prevent us from any sort of move, so there's really no reason to buy him out.

Not to mention in the games he played last year Leino was a stable bright spot. I hope he gets healthy because I want to know if he can actually play.

#83 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Eichel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not to mention in the games he played last year Leino was a stable bright spot. I hope he gets healthy because I want to know if he can actually play.

You don't have to tell me. I really like Ville.

#84 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

His cap is $18 mil, his actual salary is $15 mil. Leino's contract is symbolic of a poorly run organization.

#85 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

His cap is $18 mil, his actual salary is $15 mil. Leino's contract is symbolic of a poorly run organization.

His cap hit is 27mill. How exactly is this "symbolic". However you slice it he gets paid 27 mill.

#86 Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

It makes absolutely zero sense for the Buffalo Sabres not to buy out Ville Leino. Stafford I can almost understand. Keeping Leino and his $18 mil on the books is inexcusable and a bad sign Darcy Regier is still not willing to part with his mistakes to the point of being a detriment to the franchise.

It's not like our cap will matter next year anyways IMO, with a few players probably gone from the roster and no one will be really brought in making that much, I'd like to give Leino a chance considering he played well last year when he was healthy and actually showed some care and fire and spoke out about how the team was going about things

#87 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

@TSN_Sports
Sharks F Havlat no longer potential buyout candidate: Go to TSN.ca for details. #TSN http://bit.ly/14mjfUI

#88 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

For the umpteenth tme, they cannot buy Leino out while he is rehabbing and the buy out period only lasts 48 hours after Cup is over.

#89 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

His cap hit is 27mill. How exactly is this "symbolic". However you slice it he gets paid 27 mill.

He has four years left at $15 mil which counts as $18 mil against the cap.

It's "symbolic' because it is a horrible mistake of a move that this franchise needs to move away from.

For the umpteenth tme, they cannot buy Leino out while he is rehabbing and the buy out period only lasts 48 hours after Cup is over.

When did he have surgery?

#90 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

It's "symbolic' because it is a horrible mistake of a move that this franchise needs to move away from.

He had a "procedure." No timetable given but he is still re-habbing

Edited by tom webster, 24 June 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#91 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

He had a "procedure." No timetable given but he is still re-habbing

Pardon my tin foil hat, my first thought on this is that they are using the "rehabbing" angle to avoid criticism for not using the compliance buyout on him.

#92 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Eichel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Pardon my tin foil hat, my first thought on this is that they are using the "rehabbing" angle to avoid criticism for not using the compliance buyout on him.

Or he's rehabbing and they want him on the team next year and don't care what whining Buffalo fans whine about.

#93 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Or he's rehabbing and they want him on the team next year and don't care what whining Buffalo fans whine about.

Maybe they should, maybe they wouldn't have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 11 years. With this front office's track record they really shouldn't be disregarding any outside opinions.

#94 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Maybe they should, maybe they wouldn't have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 11 years. With this front office's track record they really shouldn't be disregarding any outside opinions.

Exactly.

And DeLuca, I may be slow but I just figured out the meaning of your avatar. Well done.

Edited by bunomatic, 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#95 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,593 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sure, ignore the reasonable concept for the one that fits your agenda. Blah Blah Blah.

#96 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

@JSportsnet
Sorry to talk business folks....Compliance buyouts can start at 11 pm on the 26th.

#97 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Your man Kovalchuk's got 9 million worth of salary and something like 30 to 35,000,000 worth of salary cap left for his last 4 or 5 years. Should he be bought out too?

Wouldn't he be a huge signing mistake by the New Jersey Devils?

#98 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

When exactly did Darcy use the 'rehabbing' excuse? I don't recall him ever mentioning Leino not being eligibile because of his injury.

#99 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Your man Kovalchuk's got 9 million worth of salary and something like 30 to 35,000,000 worth of salary cap left for his last 4 or 5 years. Should he be bought out too?

Wouldn't he be a huge signing mistake by the New Jersey Devils?

If this a failed attempt at a joke?

Kovalchuk has been one of the best players in the league since he signed that contract and had a bit if a slow start. He was a big part of their run to the Eastern Conference title and it is no surprise the Devils fell out of the playoffs when he got hurt last season. He has proven to be a great value at a cap hit less than Thomas Vanek. It is insulting to Kovalchuk to include him in a conversation regarding Ville Leino.

You pay for production. Kovalchuk has not only produced he has also matured in his overall game. He is no Selke candidate, he is also no Briere in his own end. Kovalchuk is by far the best big ticket free agent signing in recent years.

Sure, ignore the reasonable concept for the one that fits your agenda. Blah Blah Blah.

What is "reasonable" about retaining a bad hockey player with a horrible contract? Ville Leino and is contract are the only things that make Drew Stafford and his contract look like a great value.

When exactly did Darcy use the 'rehabbing' excuse? I don't recall him ever mentioning Leino not being eligibile because of his injury.

I should have said, "will be" not "are". Once reporters start questioning why Ville Leino is still on the roster, I can see them using the "he wasn't eligible because of the rehab" excuse.

Exactly.

And DeLuca, I may be slow but I just figured out the meaning of your avatar. Well done.

Thanks!

#100 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Give me that fish!

• Members
  • 30,593 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Holy crap I know you're not this dense.

#101 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,359 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

If the Sabres ice a team with alot of kids on it (no Vanek/Miller), may they need Leino to reach the cap floor?

#102 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

A team rebuilding doesn't need a player on the decline.

No to Briere. Maybe Ruff can drag him to Dallas.

Not particular to Briere...but, yes they do. Finding the right vets to mentor a bunch of kids is very important.
The NHL season is such a grind that finding the right vets might be more important than finding the more able journeymen.

#103 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Not particular to Briere...but, yes they do. Finding the right vets to mentor a bunch of kids is very important.
The NHL season is such a grind that finding the right vets might be more important than finding the more able journeymen.

I agree, we need to sign Jagr and/or Iginla for the veteran presence and to keep Vanek happy.

I do not want a rebuild from total scratch. A short succesful rebuild would be my prefered scenario.

#104 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,583 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I agree, we need to sign Jagr and/or Iginla for the veteran presence and to keep Vanek happy.

I do not want a rebuild from total scratch. A short succesful rebuild would be my prefered scenario.

That's what they're doing.

#105 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

That's what they're doing.

No, they're not.

#106 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

As I suspected all along:@EyeOnHockey
Why you heff to be mad? The Flyers announce they will buy out goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. http://cbsprt.co/14poxic

#107 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

But...but... the GM said..... :w00t:

#108 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 27,583 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

As I suspected all along:@EyeOnHockey
Why you heff to be mad? The Flyers announce they will buy out goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. http://cbsprt.co/14poxic

DR needs to be on the phone with Filly right now.

#109 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

DR needs to be on the phone with Filly right now.

Yepper. He should be talking Miller and Vanek with Holmgren.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 25 June 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#110 kballhog

kballhog

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Been told Bryzgalov's agent was told by Flyers GM that he's NOT getting bought out.

So much for that! He was just bought out...

#111 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

No, they're not.

You also think the Panthers rebuild is complete...meanwhile, they just opened at 100-1 odds to win the Cup. For those curious, the Sabres are at 50-1.

#112 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,138 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Never thought that Yashin's buyout would be topped. But Bryzgalov's does by 6 years! At least there's no cap hit.

#113 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Never thought that Yashin's buyout would be topped. But Bryzgalov's does by 6 years! At least there's no cap hit.

I'm just waiting for somebody to trade for DiPietro to buy him out :w00t:

#114 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm just waiting for somebody to trade for DiPietro to buy him out :w00t:

Gotta be just a matter of time before both he and Luongo are added to the list:
@capgeek
The Bryzgalov buyout tops that of Alexei Yashin. Here's our unofficial all-time list. http://www.capgeek.com/buyouts

#115 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

You also think the Panthers rebuild is complete...meanwhile, they just opened at 100-1 odds to win the Cup. For those curious, the Sabres are at 50-1.

I said the bulk of the rebuild would be complete after this offseason. Seems pretty rediculous for anybody to make Cup predictions before the draft and free agency.

Let's see the Sabres open the season with three players who were on last years opening day roster................ then we'll call it a complete rebuild.

#116 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Gotta be just a matter of time before both he and Luongo are added to the list:
@capgeek
The Bryzgalov buyout tops that of Alexei Yashin. Here's our unofficial all-time list. http://www.capgeek.com/buyouts

It will be truly amazing if Vancouver has to buy out Luongo. Talk about grossly mishandling a situation.

#117 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

So we're all getting excited that the possibility of dealing Miller improves because Bryz got bought and maybe more along the way. But it also means more goaltenders on the free agent market. Luongo will end up signing a shorter term contract and I'm sure somebody will take a chance at Bryz.

If I was that agent I wouldn't trust Holmgren. He said the same thing to Carter's agent a week before he got dealt.

Good call. And it's been a week since Holmgren said he wouldn't be bought out.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 25 June 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#118 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

But...but... the GM said..... :w00t:

Classy GM, Classy Organisation, Classy City............

This was obvious from the beginning, and when they traded for mason, and when they traded for Streit and agreed to a deal when they have no cap space to complete the deal...............

The Sabres would ahve to take on alot of salary in order for the Flyers to have any cap room to take on Miller and his salary

#119 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Chris Nichols@Nichols_NHLPool 1m
GM Paul Holmgren says #Flyers will NOT pursue Roberto Luongo. #Canucks Via @BroadStBull

That is interesting

#120 Guest_Sloth_*

Guest_Sloth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Realistically, what can the Sabres get in a Ryan Miller trade? What is he really worth? According to LA's GM, goalies have less trade value.