Jump to content


Captain 2013-2014

whos it going to be?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 ubkev

ubkev

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Alright boys and girls...who are going to be wearing the letters this season?

This is assuming Vanek is traded before the start of the season.

So we have Stafford (A) and Ott (A) and no Captain. Who gets the C? and does Ron let Stafford keep that (A)?

I cant really think of anyone on the current roster deserving of the C. But Stafford definitely doesn't deserve that (A) and other than Ehrhoff, who could be a letter wearer? Hodgson? Ennis? Myers? Sekera? Mike Weber is cut from the right cloth, and has all the right stuff except for the skills.

So what say you SabreSpace, who's getting the letters?

#2 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Captains?  We talking 'bout captains?  I mean, Captains?

#3 ubkev

ubkev

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

View Postweave, on 19 June 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

Captains?  We talking 'bout captains?  I mean, Captains?

Indulge me....

...No, seriously, its 6:10am, I've been out of work for 3 hours and I have nothing better to do...lets go!

Edited by ubkev, 19 June 2013 - 05:12 AM.


#4 sabres26

sabres26

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

Mike Weber gets the "C". They want to have a rebuild, why not use a young veteran. He can show the team what it takes to work hard. He went from barely playing, to busting his A$$ and now he is one of the teams most consistent players

#5 ubkev

ubkev

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

View Postsabres26, on 19 June 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Mike Weber gets the "C". They want to have a rebuild, why not use a young veteran. He can show the team what it takes to work hard. He went from barely playing, to busting his A$$ and now he is one of the teams most consistent players

I will agree with you on 2 out of 3. He busts his ass and he was one of the most consistent players last year. However, do the sabres want their captain to be their 3rd best defensemen?

#6 sabres26

sabres26

    Top Prospect

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postubkev, on 19 June 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

I will agree with you on 2 out of 3. He busts his ass and he was one of the most consistent players last year. However, do the sabres want their captain to be their 3rd best defensemen?
Before I listened to terry yesterday on wgr I would have said no. But after hearing him praise girgenson for being such a hard worker and thats what this team will start being all about. I think Weber fits the type of player terry wants on this team and the type of person terry wants to lead this team. He would rather have a hard worker who isnt a top player, rather than a top player who isnt a hard worker on his team.

#7 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Unless something drastic changes and going along with the OP assumption that Vanek is traded prior to the start of next season ...

Weber = C

Ott = A

Ehrhoff = A

This off season is dragging already ..........

#8 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

View Postsabres26, on 19 June 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Before I listened to terry yesterday on wgr I would have said no. But after hearing him praise girgenson for being such a hard worker and thats what this team will start being all about. I think Weber fits the type of player terry wants on this team and the type of person terry wants to lead this team. He would rather have a hard worker who isnt a top player, rather than a top player who isnt a hard worker on his team.

If Terry's picking the Captains, we're really in for it...

#9 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

Danny Briere gets the 'C' and Toni Lydman and Henrik Tallinder wear an 'A'.

#10 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

View Postweave, on 19 June 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

Captains?  We talking 'bout captains?  I mean, Captains?
THERE ARE NO REAL CAPTAINS!!!!!!
http://www.huffingto..._b_3462526.html

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 19 June 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Unless something drastic changes and going along with the OP assumption that Vanek is traded prior to the start of next season ...

Weber = C

Ott = A

Ehrhoff = A

This off season is dragging already ..........
wait for it...


#11 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

    The 'd' is silent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Weber is not our 3rd best defenseman. He's a nasty 3rd pairing guy, which I love, but he's no captain at this point.  The only player who has anything even remotely close to captaincy about him is Ott.

Garsh dammit this roster sucks.

#12 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Not that I want to stop anyone, but I've never enjoyed Captain discussions.
I don't think Captains matter all that much.

You have leadership in the room or you don't.

#13 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

No way Weber is a captain. He'll be one of the guys rotated out with our seventh defenseman. That's not captain material. (I do love Weber's player, but come on).

I wish so badly that it could be Cody Hodgson, because he's done a fine job leading prior to the NHL... but I just don't think he shows enough on defense to warrant that.

If Vanek is one the team, give it to him.

View PostX. Benedict, on 19 June 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Not that I want to stop anyone, but I've never enjoyed Captain discussions.
I don't think Captains matter all that much.

You have leadership in the room or you don't.

Agreed. I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Sometimes it gives talented players a little extra boost, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

#14 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostDStebb, on 19 June 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

No way Weber is a captain. He'll be one of the guys rotated out with our seventh defenseman. That's not captain material. (I do love Weber's player, but come on).

I wish so badly that it could be Cody Hodgson, because he's done a fine job leading prior to the NHL... but I just don't think he shows enough on defense to warrant that.

If Vanek is one the team, give it to him.
Name a better shut down defender on the Sabres.

#15 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Name a better shut down defender on the Sabres.

No sadder statement on where the roster currently stands. :(

#16 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 19 June 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

No sadder statement on where the roster currently stands. :(
exactly but at the same time I think he can be a #4

#17 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostDStebb, on 19 June 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

No way Weber is a captain. He'll be one of the guys rotated out with our seventh defenseman. That's not captain material. (I do love Weber's player, but come on).
Are expecting the Sabres to aquire any D or are you assuming Ehrhoff, Sekera, Pysyk, Rudy, McNabb, and Myers will be ahea of him?

#18 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Postinkman, on 19 June 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Are expecting the Sabres to aquire any D or are you assuming Ehrhoff, Sekera, Pysyk, Rudy, McNabb, and Myers will be ahea of him?

Neither. I expect him to be a part of the top six, but they'll likely rotate some of the guys on the back end. I mean he was a healthy scratch at times this season, I don't expect that to stop immediately. It will soon enough.

I think either this year or a year later, Weber will solidify himself as a true top four dman. But he's not QUITE there yet, in my opinion.

Edited by DStebb, 19 June 2013 - 11:25 AM.


#19 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostDStebb, on 19 June 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Neither. I expect him to be a part of the top six, but they'll likely rotate some of the guys on the back end.
Myers - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Weber - Pysyk
McNabb - Rudy

we still have some questionable pairings for our defense next year.

#20 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Christian Ehrhoff is our best dman. Wouldn't call him shutdown, but check out these graphs... (This is the first useful thing I've EVER found over at Hockeybuzz):
These show the shot-differentials with and without Ehrhoff on the ice.

Posted Image

Ignore the forward part because I'm not quite sure why that's even relevant or he has any affect on that. But the dman one is pretty interesting.

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Myers - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Weber - Pysyk
McNabb - Rudy

we still have some questionable pairings for our defense next year.

Sulzer won't be in there. At least I don't think. Doubt he's resigned.
Myers-Sekera
Ehrhoff-Weber
Pysyk, McNabb and Ruhwedel fight for the final two spots.

Edited by DStebb, 19 June 2013 - 11:30 AM.


#21 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:


Myers - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Weber - Pysyk
McNabb - Rudy

we still have some questionable pairings for our defense next year.
Too many Tallinder types for my liking. Hoping to God that Sulzer is not a regular, he's just not that good.  I like having slick skating puck movers on D but another PP shooter/zone entry type is needed.  Unless McNabb is penciled in the lineup, even if he is, they still need one more facwashing, crease cross-checking, ankle slasher D man.  Weber and maybe McNabb are not enough.  Whatever nasty Dman from this years final 4 is a UFA should be targeted to traded for.

#22 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

what is the away and together supposed to mean?  Away from Ehrhoff or Together with Ehrhoff?  Also What are the percentages?  Why do people never label their X and Y axis!

View Postinkman, on 19 June 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Too many Tallinder types for my liking. Hoping to God that Sulzer is not a regular, he's just not that good.  I like having slick skating puck movers on D but another PP shooter/zone entry type is needed.  Unless McNabb is penciled in the lineup, even if he is, they still need one more facwashing, crease cross-checking, ankle slasher D man.  Weber and maybe McNabb are not enough.  Whatever nasty Dman from this years final 4 is a UFA should be targeted to traded for.
or we draft Ristolainen or Zadarov and then wait 1-3years for them to contribute... uhhh just hearing me say that makes me sick :sick:

#23 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

    The 'd' is silent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Name a better shut down defender on the Sabres.
Ehrhoff and Sekera and it's not even close.

#24 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 19 June 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Ehrhoff and Sekera and it's not even close.

Beat me to it.

#25 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

what is the away and together supposed to mean?  Away from Ehrhoff or Together with Ehrhoff?  Also What are the percentages?  Why do people never label their X and Y axis!

I descirbe this, but it is really frustrating when people don't do that. The away and together obviously means without and with Ehrhoff. The percentages are the shot differential (below 50% means the other team has more shots, above means the Sabres have more shots. The percentage over and under 50% is the differential).

#26 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostDStebb, on 19 June 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

I descirbe this, but it is really frustrating when people don't do that. The away and together obviously means without and with Ehrhoff. The percentages are the shot differential (below 50% means the other team has more shots, above means the Sabres have more shots. The percentage over and under 50% is the differential).
Okay now I get it thank you.  I should say that Hockey Buzz using Away and Together is one of the dumbest ideas ever... how about With and Without... so much more self explanatory.

#27 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Okay now I get it thank you.  I should say that Hockey Buzz using Away and Together is one of the dumbest ideas ever... how about With and Without... so much more self explanatory.

I think I need a translation for everything in this. I never figured out when guys here post e3 either.

#28 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

    McDavid is to McDieFor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 19 June 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Okay now I get it thank you.  I should say that Hockey Buzz using Away and Together is one of the dumbest ideas ever... how about With and Without... so much more self explanatory.

Don't worry, I'll never post from Hockeybuzz again haha. I go there probably once every two weeks just to get something to think about without giving it legitimate consideration. But I do believe that the graph was pretty solid.

#29 sabres1970

sabres1970

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I guess it really depends on who the real vocal leader is and that's not always easy for us fans to tell. I think the easy way out would be to give it to ott or kaleta but I want someone who'll actually be here for many many years to come. But I'm sure those two guys will at least get an A

#30 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 19 June 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

Danny Briere gets the 'C' and Toni Lydman and Henrik Tallinder wear an 'A'.

Too bad goalies can't be captains, as Dom would've been my choice :w00t:

Edited by Kristian, 20 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.