66 replies to this topic

#1 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Alright everybody, I literally have no idea if this is allowed. I hope it is because I could use some support and feedback from some more Sabres fans on my "senior capstone" project.

It's a Sabres blog dedicated to the future of the Sabres. Not TOO unlike Kris Baker's "SabresProspects," but I will have more constant content and updates as I've noticed many on twitter and elsewhere complain to him about his lack of keeping the site up to date.

EDIT: Since starting this thread, it has been revealed that this was blatantly incorrect. I based my statement off of a single, non-updated tab on his otherwise up-to-date and strongly supported website. I have since apologized directly to him for my misunderstanding. I have not and will never claim that my site is "better" than his. Really, it isn't in any way. But the idea is to provide another source that Sabres fans can go to view updates and get an opinion on the future of their beloved team. I hope the misunderstanding hasn't turned too many off to the site and that support/feedback will still be provided by some of you! Thank you for the support/feedback already received. Lesson learned.

The first post is up and is something that I'll keep updated as time passes: Sabres prospect rankings.

The link to the post is: http://sabresoftomor...spect-rankings/
(The list is top 20 and holds some basic information on each prospect)

The link to the website is: http://sabresoftomorrow.wordpress.com/
The link to the site's twitter account is: https://twitter.com/sabresoftmrw
The link to the site's Facebook: https://www.facebook...abresOfTomorrow

Support would be greatly appreciated. And feedback on how this forum handles things like this would be appreciated, as I do not know.

Edited by DStebb, 14 June 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#2 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Any feedback? Ideas?

#3 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostDStebb, on 11 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Any feedback? Ideas?

Plethora is a big word.

#4 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Any feedback? Ideas?

There's not a whole lot to say right now. Website looks quite nice, but content and regular updates will be what counts. As well as insightful and most importantly accurate commentary on the Sabres and sabre's players futures. So it will take a while before your site has the history to prove its worth

#5 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 11 June 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

There's not a whole lot to say right now. Website looks quite nice, but content and regular updates will be what counts. As well as insightful and most importantly accurate commentary on the Sabres and sabre's players futures. So it will take a while before your site has the history to prove its worth

That's my reaction as well. Good luck with the project.

#6 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 11 June 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

Understood. I was considering keeping everything private until I have a lot of stuff up but with the draft fast approaching I couldn't afford to wait. Will have more content in the coming days.

Was looking for comments on the rankings mainly, and then of the aesthetics of the site.

Edited by DStebb, 11 June 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#7 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostDStebb, on 11 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Was looking for comments on the rankings mainly, and then of the aesthetics of the site.

McCabe ahead of Pysyk, Girgenson, and Larson?

#8 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 11 June 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

McCabe ahead of Pysyk, Girgenson, and Larson?

Yeap. In my opinion. I think McCabe is going to be a big time NHL dman. Obviously him being at least a year away makes many think otherwise, but this doesn't take time into affect. It's formulated by focusing on potential. Then I broke a lot of "ties" or shifted a few based on likelihood of reaching that potential.

#9 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Not to be a stick in mud, but you might want to be careful using intellectual property on your website.  I don't know how the Sabres or NHL are when it comes to that sort of thing, but typically you need to have pictures cleared for use in some manner or other.

#10 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 11 June 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Not to be a stick in mud, but you might want to be careful using intellectual property on your website.  I don't know how the Sabres or NHL are when it comes to that sort of thing, but typically you need to have pictures cleared for use in some manner or other.

Yea, I know full well. Thanks for looking out, though.

#11 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

Any feedback? Ideas?
For starters his name is Kris Baker! ;)

#12 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

I was hoping it was some sort of personal slight setting off an industry wide race for all the best prospect knowledge.

#13 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Bittersweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

I tell ya...this is the best thing since sliced bread......it's gonna be big...REAAAAL Big!........I haven't seen something this amazing since Gina Lollabrigida burst out of her evening gown when bending over to pet a Golden Retreiver puppy......

#14 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 12 June 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

I tell ya...this is the best thing since sliced bread......it's gonna be big...REAAAAL Big!........I haven't seen something this amazing since Gina Lollabrigida burst out of her evening gown when bending over to pet a Golden Retreiver puppy......

Not Veronica Lake hand-feeding her Cocker Spaniel?

#15 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 12 June 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Not Veronica Lake hand-feeding her Cocker Spaniel?

Peanut butter ?

#16 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,962 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 11 June 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Fair use?

#17 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts
  • Location:The Myth, The Man, The Legend, Zemgus Destroyer of Worlds.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Fair use?
Purpose, Nature, Amount, Effect

#18 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Fair use?

For posting articles and news, yes, but as part of a design, no.

#19 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostLabattBlue, on 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

He updates his site once every couple months and rarely offers any content. His youtube videos of players goals/assists/saves is very useful, but beyond that he doesn't bring anything current to the table. He obviously has multiple connections that I don't, but everybody starts somewhere.

View Postsizzlemeister, on 12 June 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

For posting articles and news, yes, but as part of a design, no.

Generally non-commercial use is all under fair use. I'm not looking for any monetary gain out of this. I've been over all of this with multiple people who would know, and I will be smart about it all.

Edited by DStebb, 12 June 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#20 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostDStebb, on 12 June 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

He updates his site once every couple months and rarely offers any content. His youtube videos of players goals/assists/saves is very useful, but beyond that he doesn't bring anything current to the table.

If I were Dylan Stebbins I would try doing what Kris Baker does for a year or more before commenting on what Kris Baker brings to the table.

Once you start projecting 6th rounds guy like Linus Ulmark as a guy the Sabres are targeting in the 6th round before he's picked (like Baker usually does with his draft preview) then you've got game.

#21 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

General comment: I dislike rankings without commentary.  One of the reasons I like Corey Pronman's draft rankings so much is he not only summarizes a prospect's abilities, but also gives his reasoning why the player is ranking where he is relative to those around him.  Would be nice to see a similar methodology applied to Sabres prospects.

#22 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 12 June 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

If I were Dylan Stebbins I would try doing what Kris Baker does for a year or more before commenting on what Kris Baker brings to the table.

Once you start projecting 6th rounds guy like Linus Ulmark as a guy the Sabres are targeting in the 6th round before he's picked (like Baker usually does with his draft preview) then you've got game.

I don't have as many connections as Baker has to say things like that... Butttttt I did report that Rick Jeanneret would return from his sick leave at the beginning of the season hours before anybody else on the internet had it (or the team announced).

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 12 June 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

General comment: I dislike rankings without commentary.  One of the reasons I like Corey Pronman's draft rankings so much is he not only summarizes a prospect's abilities, but also gives his reasoning why the player is ranking where he is relative to those around him.  Would be nice to see a similar methodology applied to Sabres prospects.

Yea, I wanted to add commentary. I plan on doing so eventually. But the rankings will be altered completely when the draft happens so I didn't want to go crazy just yet.

Edited by DStebb, 12 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#23 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,630 posts
  • Location:The Myth, The Man, The Legend, Zemgus Destroyer of Worlds.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

He updates his site once every couple months and rarely offers any content. His youtube videos of players goals/assists/saves is very useful, but beyond that he doesn't bring anything current to the table. He obviously has multiple connections that I don't, but everybody starts somewhere.

Generally non-commercial use is all under fair use. I'm not looking for any monetary gain out of this. I've been over all of this with multiple people who would know, and I will be smart about it all.
That is not true but as for your website regular prospect updates and if you can get ahold of accurate positions and height/weight that would go a long ways towards doing some good.

#24 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,962 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Is Baker part of the Sabres "family" now? He appears on Howard Simon's show and on whatever they call Kevin Sylvester's show on a scheduled basis. Is he fed information by the team?

#25 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 June 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is Baker part of the Sabres "family" now? He appears on Howard Simon's show and on whatever they call Kevin Sylvester's show on a scheduled basis. Is he fed information by the team?

They regularly have his offerings on the Sabres website...not sure if he's on their payroll.

#26 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Okay, but I hope you didn't pay for that advisement, you're going to be looking for a refund.

Edited by sizzlemeister, 12 June 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#27 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 12 June 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Okay, but I hope you didn't pay for that advisement, you're going to be looking for a refund.

I fully understand. I know that it doesn't technically fall under fair-use. I'm willing to take the risk. And I doubt your expertise exceeds that of a long-time lawyer and journalist who is now a freelance blogger herself.

#28 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostDStebb, on 11 June 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Alright everybody, I literally have no idea if this is allowed. I hope it is because I could use some support and feedback from some more Sabres fans on my "senior capstone" project.

It's a Sabres blog dedicated to the future of the Sabres. Not TOO unlike Kevin Baker's "SabresProspects," but I will have more constant content and updates as I've noticed many on twitter and elsewhere complain to him about his lack of keeping the site up to date.

The first post is up and is something that I'll keep updated as time passes: Sabres prospect rankings.

Support would be greatly appreciated. And feedback on how this forum handles things like this would be appreciated, as I do not know.

I'm all for free enterprise and healthy competition but no matter what the business, it's never considered a good idea to rail against the competition, especially not the leader in the field. Build your own site and make it work on its own merit.
Just my personal opinion.

#29 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostDStebb, on 11 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

The design of the website look pretty decent.  I'm no expert on webpage design but it doesn't look bad to my eye.  Of course, you don't have much content so I cannot comment on navigation.  

As for the content, well.... a simple list of rankings with nothing to back them up is fluff.  My constructive criticism is, if you are going to bother with a rankings list then back them up with some commentary.   Upthread I got that you didn't want to put more effort into the list because of the upcoming draft.  Well, to be honest, it looks like a ranking that didn't have much effort put into it.

Kris Baker's site is well respected, and while his content may not be getting updated much right now, in my experience his site is updated more often than weekly during the season.  His site is the go to place for news and stats about Sabres prospects with good reason.  Competing on a level with Kris is a lofty goal.  Don't take his site and the work he puts into it lightly.

#30 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostDStebb, on 12 June 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I don't have as many connections as Baker has to say things like that... Butttttt I did report that Rick Jeanneret would return from his sick leave at the beginning of the season hours before anybody else on the internet had it (or the team announced).

Kris Baker has been doing it for years now. His projections were pretty spot on before he was getting any attention.
Probably why the Sabres etc. took notice.

I wouldn't assume he's got any inside info. He just knows the draft.

Edited by X. Benedict, 12 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#31 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 12 June 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Kris Baker has been doing it for years now. His projections were pretty spot on before he was getting any attention.
Probably why the Sabres etc. took notice.

I wouldn't assume he's got any inside info. He just knows the draft.

He has connections now. He works with Sabres.com now and has worked hard as hell to get where he is.

I don't mean to sound demeaning towards him. I was just noting that many have commented on the lack of "up-to-date" prospect info. He's certainly a partial inspiration for my site, and I have spoken with him before. I understand where you're coming from absolutely.

I remember the Ullmark projection. And a few others. He knows his stuff. I hope that I do currently and in the future as well.

View Postweave, on 12 June 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

The design of the website look pretty decent.  I'm no expert on webpage design but it doesn't look bad to my eye.  Of course, you don't have much content so I cannot comment on navigation.  

As for the content, well.... a simple list of rankings with nothing to back them up is fluff.  My constructive criticism is, if you are going to bother with a rankings list then back them up with some commentary.   Upthread I got that you didn't want to put more effort into the list because of the upcoming draft.  Well, to be honest, it looks like a ranking that didn't have much effort put into it.

Kris Baker's site is well respected, and while his content may not be getting updated much right now, in my experience his site is updated more often than weekly during the season.  His site is the go to place for news and stats about Sabres prospects with good reason.  Competing on a level with Kris is a lofty goal.  Don't take his site and the work he puts into it lightly.

I guess I should've posted in the page saying this, but I'm adding commentary to my rankings after the draft. I didn't want to get into why "this guy is higher than this guy" etc. when the rankings will be changed after more guys are added in the draft.

Edited by DStebb, 12 June 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#32 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostDStebb, on 12 June 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

He has connections now. He works with Sabres.com now and has worked hard as hell to get where he is.

I don't mean to sound demeaning towards him. I was just noting that many have commented on the lack of "up-to-date" prospect info. He's certainly a partial inspiration for my site, and I have spoken with him before. I understand where you're coming from absolutely.

I remember the Ullmark projection. And a few others. He knows his stuff. I hope that I do currently and in the future as well.

I guess I should've posted in the page saying this, but I'm adding commentary to my rankings after the draft. I didn't want to get into why "this guy is higher than this guy" etc. when the rankings will be changed after more guys are added in the draft.

Good luck. Sincerely, good luck. Get in touch with Weiland. He can probably help you.

#33 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostDStebb, on 12 June 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

You asked for opinions on what you have.  You got opinions based on what you have.

Brutally honest feedback?  My gut tells me if you didn't give your site full effort into your only content to date on its big opening then........... you get the drift.

As X sez, good luck.  I hope it goes well.  I'd like another Sabres related site with original and intelligent content.

#34 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,962 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Posttom webster, on 12 June 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

I'm all for free enterprise and healthy competition but no matter what the business, it's never considered a good idea to rail against the competition, especially not the leader in the field. Build your own site and make it work on its own merit.
Just my personal opinion.

"Rail against" seems strong.

Good luck with it DStebb.

#35 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostDStebb, on 11 June 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

It's a Sabres blog dedicated to the future of the Sabres. Not TOO unlike Kevin Baker's "SabresProspects," but I will have more constant content and updates as I've noticed many on twitter and elsewhere complain to him about his lack of keeping the site up to date.

Interesting Capstone project, love the idea.  Keep working on it and consider explaining your current prospects with a note that this ranking "may" change after the draft.  Not sure what your time frame is to work on this, but think about your rankings of each guy.  You left the High Schoolers that the Sabres drafted the last couple of years and are steadily improving in the college ranks. I might consider this list 50 deep.

Content will your biggest obstacle.

P.S. Paul Weiland still around.  Loved him as announcer though briefly on WGR. Met his daughter in the political arena in DC years ago.

Edited by North Buffalo, 12 June 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#36 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostDStebb, on 12 June 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I fully understand. I know that it doesn't technically fall under fair-use. I'm willing to take the risk. And I doubt your expertise exceeds that of a long-time lawyer and journalist who is now a freelance blogger herself.

I guess that's the last time I try and help out, if that's your attitude.  I'm glad I kept my mouth shut about the "design".

#37 Tank

Tank

McDone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 12 June 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Interesting Capstone project, love the idea.  Keep working on it and consider explaining your current prospects with a note that this ranking "may" change after the draft.  Not sure what your time frame is to work on this, but think about your rankings of each guy.  You left the High Schoolers that the Sabres drafted the last couple of years and are steadily improving in the college ranks. I might consider this list 50 deep.

Content will your biggest obstacle.

P.S. Paul Weiland still around.  Loved him as announcer though briefly on WGR. Met his daughter in the political arena in DC years ago.

Yeap. Paul is one of my favorite professors. Had him for two courses last semester. He told us this coming year might be his final year, though. Often times I'd stay a good half hour after class to discuss everything Sabres. He always grumbles about the team, and then tells stories of his time working as an announcer/producer/director there.

View Postweave, on 12 June 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

You asked for opinions on what you have.  You got opinions based on what you have.

Brutally honest feedback?  My gut tells me if you didn't give your site full effort into your only content to date on its big opening then........... you get the drift.

As X sez, good luck.  I hope it goes well.  I'd like another Sabres related site with original and intelligent content.

Thanks. Yea, I appreciate the opinions. I wasn't challenging anything when I said that I should've posted on the page that it'll be updated later. I meant that literally, I really should've. And will probably add that.

View PostX. Benedict, on 12 June 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

Good luck. Sincerely, good luck. Get in touch with Weiland. He can probably help you.

Haha I'm happy that people on here know Weiland. He's become more of a friend than a teacher to me lately. He's been one of the most supportive people in my college life.

Really everybody: thank you. The feedback is all welcome and appreciated. Even if it doesn't seem like it. I just try to explain myself in most situations. Thank you all. Hopefully I can get similar support and feedback as time goes on!

#38 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,962 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

So… Paul Wieland is Deep Throat?

#39 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

no worries mate, just give it your best effort you can, and see where you end up going.
everyone will whine now and then, just shrugg it off and keep going :)

#40 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Bittersweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 June 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

So… Paul Wieland is Deep Throat?

Speeking of Deep Throat......why shall thy elders here even slightly entertain the obvious solicitation????