#81 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for that.
:) Sometimes I must remind myself I spend way too much time thinking hockey.

It's summer.....the pasty, cellulite thighs of the Buffalo girls are actually a tad more trim and have some color to them........take a stroll or a drive and breathe in the cottonwood......

#82 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,837 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm pretty astonished how precipitiously my belief in the Sabres winning a cup has fallen off. I really, really thought going into this year that the Sabres were a couple of centers away from winning. I really, really thought that the team defense was the strength of the team. I really, really thought this was the year that Ville paid dividends.

At the end of the year Ville was a no-show, the defense was decimated, the defensemen of the future regressed, the goalie wanted out of town, the Captain and Coach were shown the door, the shiny new centers were still a work in progress and the fans turned on ownership and management in ways I could not have predicted two years before.

I sure hope there are better times ahead. I've been with the Sabres from inception. I'm running out of time. If you're 18, a four year rebuild doesn't sound so bad, if you're in your fifth decade, it sounds like a really long time. It sounds like another gamble I've seen countless times before.

Some franchises and cities have "it", some just don't.

#83 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

I'm pretty astonished how precipitiously my belief in the Sabres winning a cup has fallen off. I really, really thought going into this year that the Sabres were a couple of centers away from winning. I really, really thought that the team defense was the strength of the team. I really, really thought this was the year that Ville paid dividends.

At the end of the year Ville was a no-show, the defense was decimated, the defensemen of the future regressed, the goalie wanted out of town, the Captain and Coach were shown the door, the shiny new centers were still a work in progress and the fans turned on ownership and management in ways I could not have predicted two years before.

I sure hope there are better times ahead. I've been with the Sabres from inception. I'm running out of time. If you're 18, a four year rebuild doesn't sound so bad, if you're in your fifth decade, it sounds like a really long time. It sounds like another gamble I've seen countless times before.

Boston failed to make the playoffs in 07, won the cup 4 years later. Turn arounds are fairly quick (well they can be)

Your point on Ville is a joke i assume? As he was literally a no-show

#84 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,529 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Boston failed to make the playoffs in 07, won the cup 4 years later. Turn arounds are fairly quick (well they can be)

Your point on Ville is a joke i assume? As he was literally a no-show

Not with the same GM.

#85 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

I'm on here aren't I? Everything I view NHL-wise I view through a Sabres fan lens. You are like a crotchety broken speak and spell. Just says the same thing over and over and over, and the way the words come out is so creepy it scars you for life.

What were we talking about?

Disagree with consistently stated positions: sounds like crotchety broken speak and spell.

Agree with consistently stated positions: sounds like Michael Bublé or Der Bingle (toss-in for our old-school friend Ghost).

Get off your high (dead) horse.

#86 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

So.....they begged him to come here...move his family from the only city his children have ever known.....against his original judgement.....then 18 months later they tell they aren't interested.???

So how does either scenario put the Sabres in a positive light???????????????

I think it just wasn't a fit. Robyn Regehr is a finishing piece to a championship caliber team. Buffalo wasn't a championship caliber team.

Regehr knew what they were trying to do. He bought in. He didn't have to waive. He probably could have worked something out at less than market with Buffalo.

Darcy gave him a gift re-uniting him with Darryl Sutter.

Now if Regehr says he was mistreated, that's one thing - but I don't think the organization loses any credibility.
Veteran players get moved around, and I don't think anybody raises an eyebrow.

Regehr went from a loser in Calgary, to a loser in Buffalo, to LA.
But somehow there are damaging hard feelings? I don't think so.

Just my take.

#87 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I think we have it. I've always believed Buffalo is destined to win a Cup. I am not a man of faith, but I have faith in that. The massive frustration that wears me down is how a regime can suppress our manifest destiny. Wealthy owner who says he wants to win a Cup, yet we don't have the best hockey people in the world working toward the end. I can't get past that. It's insane.

I think it just wasn't a fit. Robyn Regehr is a finishing piece to a championship caliber team. Buffalo wasn't a championship caliber team.

That's interesting, because when the Sabres' playoff hopes were effectively over, Darcy went on his show on WGR and talked about the "right way" to build a contender. He pointed to Minnesota and said you don't add expensive, high-end pieces before you have a foundation. It sounded odd to me, because it sounded like Darcy was calling himself out. But that only makes sense if Darcy believed the Sabres were close to contending before the 2011-12 season, and I can't believe he believed that. I took from the comment a shred of hope that if Darcy was going to continue to be GM, maybe he finally was going to be allowed to do things his way. That is, it was Terry who drove the personnel decisions his first offseason.

#88 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Regehr knew what they were trying to do. He bought in. He didn't have to waive. He probably could have worked something out at less than market with Buffalo.

Darcy gave him a gift re-uniting him with Darryl Sutter.

Now if Regehr says he was mistreated, that's one thing - but I don't think the organization loses any credibility.
Veteran players get moved around, and I don't think anybody raises an eyebrow.

Regehr went from a loser in Calgary, to a loser in Buffalo, to LA.
But somehow there are damaging hard feelings? I don't think so.

Just my take.

I never said there were hard feelings in the first place.....I said he was happy to get out and go to a contender. I also don't disagree with your view on him.

The whole situation is just a giant flag waive of failure though.

#89 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,018 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

I never said there were hard feelings in the first place.....I said he was happy to get out and go to a contender. I also don't disagree with your view on him.

The whole situation is just a giant flag waive of failure though.

Not to belabor the point (yeah, right), but could the Regehr situation be evidence that Regier won a little tug of war with Pegula, setting us on Regier's chosen path of tear down/rebuild? It's the most optimistic take I can have on the state of the Sabres.

#90 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,537 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not to belabor the point (yeah, right), but could the Regehr situation be evidence that Regier won a little tug of war with Pegula, setting us on Regier's chosen path of tear down/rebuild? It's the most optimistic take I can have on the state of the Sabres.

I'm not so sure how much the Regehr situation factors in, but I do think someone could piece together a reasonable argument that all of those initial wave of deals were heavily Pegula influenced and now we are returning more Regier's way of running a team. None of those moves really fit the mold that we've seen from Darcy in his other 85 years here.

#91 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm not so sure how much the Regehr situation factors in, but I do think someone could piece together a reasonable argument that all of those initial wave of deals were heavily Pegula influenced and now we are returning more Regier's way of running a team. None of those moves really fit the mold that we've seen from Darcy in his other 85 years here.

So are we saying Regier made the choice to fire Lindy?

#92 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Are we making excuses for Darcys incompetence again ? What are we at ? Excuse # 14.

#93 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Are we making excuses for Darcys incompetence again ? What are we at ? Excuse # 14.

14? It seems like that number should be much higher.

#94 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

14, I think that's the number of threads hijacked to talk about Darcy's incompetence.................... in the last month.

#95 ...

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

14, I think that's the number of threads hijacked to talk about Darcy's incompetence.................... in the last month.

I don't think it's fair to count this thread...it was doomed from the get-go.

And, no, I don't think "we" are saying Regier made the choice to fire Lindy. I think every person has their own theory on that one there. Somewhere, Pegula is still on trial for meddling...

My 1966 Plymouth doesn't have power steering or power brakes. So, allow me to attempt my best, experienced wheel crank here, and say that if what we're seeing as of April is Regier given a meddle-free environment, I will be surprised to see any free-agents worth a damn signed in Buffalo this summer.

#96 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sorry JJ. Never meant to highjack the thread. I was responding to comments made upstream a bit about Pegulas influence in Regiers decisions. That fits right in with N.H.L. free agency I would think and also fits nicely as an excuse for Darcys incompetence. Oops ;)

Edited by bunomatic, 11 June 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#97 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Sorry JJ. Never meant to highjack the thread. I was responding to comments made upstream a bit about Pegulas influence in Regiers decisions. That fits right in with N.H.L. free agency I would think and also fits nicely as an excuse for Darcys incompetence. Oops ;)

Haha, my comment was a generalization. Wasn't singling anybody out. I'm sure I'm guilty of being associated with a few myself. :D

I don't think it's fair to count this thread...it was doomed from the get-go.

And, no, I don't think "we" are saying Regier made the choice to fire Lindy. I think every person has their own theory on that one there. Somewhere, Pegula is still on trial for meddling...

My 1966 Plymouth doesn't have power steering or power brakes. So, allow me to attempt my best, experienced wheel crank here, and say that if what we're seeing as of April is Regier given a meddle-free environment, I will be surprised to see any free-agents worth a damn signed in Buffalo this summer.

I'm not sure what to expect. I'm hoping he signs a couple to at least be competitive next season, I know he won't have to worry about cap space.

#98 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

He's a WEASEL!!!!

#15......

#99 thewookie1

thewookie1

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

I have an idea:

After Miller is gone and/or Vanek I'd suggest us go knocking on both Jagr & Iginla's doors. Sign of them to a 6/7 mil contracts and let them teach the youngsters on the roster. Then at the deadline field calls for him, compile a list of proposals you'd be willing to take, and then tell said player to choose. You would hold 50% of the contract thus allowing for the top teams to fit them on their rosters, the veteran would get money and then a choice to what team to go to after 3/4th of the season is through, and we gain draft picks or prospects.

#100 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,517 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

I have an idea:

After Miller is gone and/or Vanek I'd suggest us go knocking on both Jagr & Iginla's doors. Sign of them to a 6/7 mil contracts and let them teach the youngsters on the roster. Then at the deadline field calls for him, compile a list of proposals you'd be willing to take, and then tell said player to choose. You would hold 50% of the contract thus allowing for the top teams to fit them on their rosters, the veteran would get money and then a choice to what team to go to after 3/4th of the season is through, and we gain draft picks or prospects.

You want to sign Jagr for 6 mil?

Have another drink.

#101 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,652 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

How about Nathan Horton for $6 million or so? He is from Welland, I think. Is only 28 too.

#102 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

How about Nathan Horton for $6 million or so? He is from Welland, I think. Is only 28 too.

He'd become the highest paid player on the team (assuming we trade Miller/Vanek). Is Nathan Horton that type of player? Not a single chance.
On top of that, he's constantly getting hurt.

I have an idea:

KIND of decent idea. Except the part where Iginla and Jagr would both just block Darcy's phone number and laugh at the notion of going to a team they know they'd only be on for half the season.

#103 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

He'd become the highest paid player on the team (assuming we trade Miller/Vanek). Is Nathan Horton that type of player? Not a single chance.
On top of that, he's constantly getting hurt.

Yup, he's damaged goods. His left shoulder is in really bad shape, not to mention his head.

#104 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,652 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yup, he's damaged goods. His left shoulder is in really bad shape, not to mention his head.

He is a +22 in the playoffs, which leads the league by a wide margin. Personally, I'd take all the proven playoff performers we can get provided the price is right.

#105 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

He is a +22 in the playoffs, which leads the league by a wide margin. Personally, I'd take all the proven playoff performers we can get provided the price is right.

Oh I'd love to have him too. I watched his first few years down here and he is definitely a 30 goal scorer if healthy. I wouldn't mind taking him for a shorter term contract because of his injuries. He was given the choice to stay in FL or get traded, when he heard 'rebuild' he immediately said he didn't want to stay. So if there is any chance of him coming to BFLO, I think Darcy is going to have to overpay him significantly. It's a shame he had to start his NHL career of with chronic shoulder problems.

#106 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

Insert Ville Leino joke here :P

#107 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

Insert Ville Leino joke here :P

Yeah, this team doesn't need playoff performers before they start making the playoffs :wallbash:

#108 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I was all over this idea three years ago. Horton has had some serious injury issues that make it too risky for a team like the Sabres. The Sabres just can't afford the risk considering where they are as a franchise.

Then there is the "why would Horton come to Buffalo" reasoning. If Horton hits the UFA market there will be teams at the top of the standings looking for his services.

Yeah, this team doesn't need playoff performers before they start making the playoffs :wallbash:

Don't forget, the playoffs are no longer the goal of this franchise. They're skipping over the playoffs right to the Stanley Cup.

#109 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I was all over this idea three years ago. Horton has had some serious injury issues that make it too risky for a team like the Sabres. The Sabres just can't afford the risk considering where they are as a franchise.

Then there is the "why would Horton come to Buffalo" reasoning. If Horton hits the UFA market there will be teams at the top of the standings looking for his services.

Thanks for the overview of what I posted three above yours.

#110 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

If you put Nathan Horton on the Sabres roster - as the roster stands today - he'd give you 15-20 goals for about 45 pts at a -10 and you'd pay him north of 6 million.

Sabres need to build from the middle out. Not from the outside in IMO.
Horton doesn't make sense. Not yet, anyway.

#111 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

If you put Nathan Horton on the Sabres roster - as the roster stands today - he'd give you 15-20 goals for about 45 pts at a -10 and you'd pay him north of 6 million.

Good point. He's a 30 goal scorer, but no way does he play a full season.

#112 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Not sure your age wjag, but I've had that feeling only a couple of times in my Sabres fandom time, all 42 years of it so far. Patty Lala and Alex the great then Hasek with Peca and Miro up front. I thought they had a real chance in those 2 team frame works, only to have hopes dashed. I didn't see that this past 5 years, after D/B left.

But, the future is upon us now. I've run through some pretty crappy rosters in the 80's, and now this most recent stint, so don't feel alone.

I agree with you, from the middle out. RW looks to have some depth coming it's way with Armia in the pipeline, but LW, as far as scoring goes, looks like a baron waste land.

#113 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

No disagreement from me there, and my my somewhat sarcastic point was actually that the Sabres shouldn't be worrying about the Nathan Horton's of the league right now, as they have much bigger, and simpler, issues to address.

#114 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Not sure your age wjag, but I've had that feeling only a couple of times in my Sabres fandom time, all 42 years of it so far. Patty Lala and Alex the great then Hasek with Peca and Miro up front. I thought they had a real chance in those 2 team frame works, only to have hopes dashed. I didn't see that this past 5 years, after D/B left.

But, the future is upon us now. I've run through some pretty crappy rosters in the 80's, and now this most recent stint, so don't feel alone.

I agree with you, from the middle out. RW looks to have some depth coming it's way with Armia in the pipeline, but LW, as far as scoring goes, looks like a baron waste land.

Unless Catenacci can become a solid LW (probably 2nd line max) I tend to agree that we are weak on that side as far as top end LW talent goes. We have a plethora of Ott's, Foligno's laying around but no one outside of Vanek who is a top guy. Even if we do move Ennis back to wing we still are weak. The good news is this draft has a ton of LH shots in the first couple rounds.

#115 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,652 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Clitsome is a UFA?

:thumbsup:

#116 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

I want this guy. He will be relatively cheap, plays center, is one of those older college prospects that are becoming coveted, seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
http://www.edmontonj...3403/story.html

#117 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,517 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Another 3rd line center?

#118 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Another 3rd line center?

Yes, we can't have enough and he has a Right Handed shot so at worst he ends up as a winger.

#119 buffaloaggie

buffaloaggie

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

A random rating of the top 30 Free Agents from NHL trade rumors with age and last year's cap figure:

1 Vincent Lecavalier C 33 $7,727,273
2 Valtteri Filppula C/LW 28 $3,000,000
3 Jarome Iginla RW 35 $7,000,000
4 Mike Smith G 30 $2,000,000
5 Mike Ribeiro C 33 $5,000,000
6 David Clarkson RW 28 $2,666,667
7 Ryane Clowe LW 30 $3,625,000
8 Stephen Weiss C 29 $3,100,000
9 Nathan Horton RW 27 $4,000,000
10 Damien Brunner RW 27 $1,350,000
11 Derek Roy C 29 $4,000,000
12 Pascal Dupuis RW 33 $1,500,000
13 Tyler Bozak C 26 $1,500,000
14 Ilya Bryzgalov G 33 $5,666,667
15 Clarke MacArthur LW 27 $3,250,000
16 Michael Ryder RW 32 $3,500,000
17 Patrik Elias C 36 $6,000,000
18 Bickell re-signed w/ Chicago
19 Anton Khudobin G 26 $875,000
20 Viktor Stalberg LW 27 $875,000
21 Mason Raymond LW 27 $2,275,000
22 Dustin Penner LW 30 $3,250,000
23 Ian White D 28 $2,875,000
24 Jaromir Jagr RW 41 $4,550,000
25 Ray Emery G 30 $1,150,000
26 Tim Thomas G 38 $5,000,000
27 Danny Briere C 35 $6,500,000
28 Brenden Morrow LW 34 $4,100,000
29 Brad Boyes RW 31 $1,000,000
30 Andrew Ference D 34 $2,250,000

With $13 mil in Cap Space, I think Ribeiro and Dupuis would be good targets. Always liked both of these players.

#120 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

A random rating of the top 30 Free Agents from NHL trade rumors with age and last year's cap figure:

1 Vincent Lecavalier C 33 $7,727,273
2 Valtteri Filppula C/LW 28 $3,000,000
3 Jarome Iginla RW 35 $7,000,000
4 Mike Smith G 30 $2,000,000
5 Mike Ribeiro C 33 $5,000,000
6 David Clarkson RW 28 $2,666,667
7 Ryane Clowe LW 30 $3,625,000
8 Stephen Weiss C 29 $3,100,000
9 Nathan Horton RW 27 $4,000,000
10 Damien Brunner RW 27 $1,350,000
11 Derek Roy C 29 $4,000,000
12 Pascal Dupuis RW 33 $1,500,000
13 Tyler Bozak C 26 $1,500,000
14 Ilya Bryzgalov G 33 $5,666,667
15 Clarke MacArthur LW 27 $3,250,000
16 Michael Ryder RW 32 $3,500,000
17 Patrik Elias C 36 $6,000,000
18 Bickell re-signed w/ Chicago
19 Anton Khudobin G 26 $875,000
20 Viktor Stalberg LW 27 $875,000
21 Mason Raymond LW 27 $2,275,000
22 Dustin Penner LW 30 $3,250,000
23 Ian White D 28 $2,875,000
24 Jaromir Jagr RW 41 $4,550,000
25 Ray Emery G 30 $1,150,000
26 Tim Thomas G 38 $5,000,000
27 Danny Briere C 35 $6,500,000
28 Brenden Morrow LW 34 $4,100,000
29 Brad Boyes RW 31 $1,000,000
30 Andrew Ference D 34 $2,250,000

With $13 mil in Cap Space, I think Ribeiro and Dupuis would be good targets. Always liked both of these players.

Thanks and i agree regarding targets. This would be a sign that we want to contend and go on a short rebuild which could convince Vanek to sign for some more years. I know many on this board want to start from scratch. I don't.

Edited by LaLaLaFontaine, 01 July 2013 - 12:54 PM.