1057 replies to this topic

#41 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

I see no reason to assume a player will play poorly just because they take the money they're offered. Possible of course, but we shouldn't pretend it's all but automatic. Oh, and Gonchar turned down an extra $4MM from the KHL, so it's not all about money.

I'm not saying he'll play poorly because he took the money he was offered, I'm debating whether he'll be worth the money he was offered, rather. Perhaps I chose a poor way of wording it.

I'm debating whether or not the Sabres should be shelling out big bucks for free agents - For this to be the case, these players need to be players who will turn things around, IMO.

I don't think a 39-year old Sergei Gonchar is that player, hence I don't think the Sabres should shell out that kind of money for players of his caliber.

For him to justify that deal, I think he needs to break the 50-point mark both seasons.

I don't think he would reach 30 points on this Sabres team, and while I know next to nothing about the Stars, I have a hard time seeing him keeping up his current production there.

#42 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'm not saying he'll play poorly because he took the money he was offered, I'm debating whether he'll be worth the money he was offered, rather. Perhaps I chose a poor way of wording it.

I'm debating whether or not the Sabres should be shelling out big bucks for free agents - For this to be the case, these players need to be players who will turn things around, IMO.

I don't think a 39-year old Sergei Gonchar is that player, hence I don't think the Sabres should shell out that kind of money for players of his caliber.

For him to justify that deal, I think he needs to break the 50-point mark both seasons.

I don't think he would reach 30 points on this Sabres team, and while I know next to nothing about the Stars, I have a hard time seeing him keeping up his current production there.

Agree 100%

Free agency for the Sabres should consist of roster filler at this point. Low cost, short term free agents easily disposed of when needed. They need to stay away from the 30 somethings looking to play out their careers and bank some money.

#43 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,996 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

I think it's funny you went from a specific number to a general range in an attempt to enhance your point.

Gonchar is a 39 year old defensemen with limited options. There are not many teams out there willing to throw $10 mil at him. He's going to bank the money and ride off into the sunset. I am reasonably assured that money was the primary determining factor in his signing with the Stars. I am also reasonably assured that Gonchar knows he will not be playing for a Stanley Cup in the next two years being with the Stars.

Yes, I clearly went from $4MM to accentuate my point, they're not basically synonyms or anything. Gonchar turned down a 2 year $14MM contract in the KHL. That's an extra $4MM of income taxed at a lower rate. I'm reasonably assured the decision to sign with Dallas wasn't purely about money.

Hey, I never insinuated the Sabres should sign him, that's a terrible contract. Simply saying expensive UFAs won't automatically preclude Buffalo.

However I think your valuation is off. How many 50 point defensemen are there on a yearly basis? Not many, and I'm sure if a player hit 50 for consecutive seasons he'd be worth more than $5MM per.

#44 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Yes, I clearly went from $4MM to accentuate my point, they're not basically synonyms or anything. Gonchar turned down a 2 year $14MM contract in the KHL. That's an extra $4MM of income taxed at a lower rate. I'm reasonably assured the decision to sign with Dallas wasn't purely about money.

Hey, I never insinuated the Sabres should sign him, that's a terrible contract. Simply saying expensive UFAs won't automatically preclude Buffalo.

However I think your valuation is off. How many 50 point defensemen are there on a yearly basis? Not many, and I'm sure if a player hit 50 for consecutive seasons he'd be worth more than $5MM per.

I don't see how we disagree, I never disagreed players would come to Buffalo if we chose to break the bank on them.

What I did say however, is that kind of players are not what this team needs at this point.

With the case in point, Gonchar, I think it's fair to say the Stars didn't sign him for his shutdown abilities they most likely signed him to produce. I think paying 5 mill. for an offense-first defenseman requires him to produce, and produce A LOT, in order for him to be worth his paycheck.

Now, if he were able to keep pucks out of his own net as well as score 50 points, hell yeah I'd agree my valuation was off :o

#45 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,996 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I don't see how we disagree, I never disagreed players would come to Buffalo if we chose to break the bank on them.

What I did say however, is that kind of players are not what this team needs at this point.

With the case in point, Gonchar, I think it's fair to say the Stars didn't sign him for his shutdown abilities they most likely signed him to produce. I think paying 5 mill. for an offense-first defenseman requires him to produce, and produce A LOT, in order for him to be worth his paycheck.

Now, if he were able to keep pucks out of his own net as well as score 50 points, hell yeah I'd agree my valuation was off :o

We're certainly in agreement on that the Sabres shouldn't be adding players like Gonchar. I just don't think the price premium is all that much to get players to come to bad teams.

And hey, $5MM doesn't buy what it used to. All it takes is one team to screw up the market though. The Lightning signing Carle and the Flames signing Wideman for $5MM+ set the market, and everybody else has to play ball at that price if they want an offensive defenseman in UFA.

#46 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

FWIW... last summer I visited the Sabres Store with my brother the sometimes-Pens fan. While I hid behind the sweaters, he approached Kevbo. During a commercial break, my brother asked about free agency goings-on and Kevbo said, "Nobody wants to come to Buffalo."

I can believe that but the question is why? Is it the team, management, the city, other factor.

#47 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

We're certainly in agreement on that the Sabres shouldn't be adding players like Gonchar. I just don't think the price premium is all that much to get players to come to bad teams.

And hey, $5MM doesn't buy what it used to. All it takes is one team to screw up the market though. The Lightning signing Carle and the Flames signing Wideman for $5MM+ set the market, and everybody else has to play ball at that price if they want an offensive defenseman in UFA.

True, but those two are ten and twelve years younger than Gonchar.

#48 deluca67

deluca67

My favorite Winger!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

I can believe that but the question is why? Is it the team, management, the city, other factor.

The Sabres can't compete with the top contenders in the league. The Sabres are as irrelevant in the league as they have been at any point of this franchises history. A lot of that falls on retaining Regier as GM. The Sabres are a franchise which is earning the dishonor of being thought of as a perennial playoff outsider. 4 playoff appearance in 11 seasons with do that to a franchise.

#49 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

It's a whole vibe. People around the league can see the obvious that some fans can't: the Sabres franchise needed a complete overhaul in 2011, and Terry choked on the opportunity to do so and continues to choke on it. You had a (stated) desire to win Cups and virtually unlimited resources (may or may not be true then or now, but the impression was clearly given) and yet over two years later you still have rinky-dink, middling, status quo management. Why? Because Terry the dimwitted oil and gas man wanted to be the makeover in the hockey department. So here we are, not with a world-class, balls-the-size-of-cantalopes manager, but with Darcy and SnackMaster McTPegs. I believe Bucky. The Sabres are a laughingstock. Geez, why are they lining up to come here? The clarion call went out!

#50 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,950 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

It's a whole vibe. People around the league can see the obvious that some fans can't: the Sabres franchise needed a complete overhaul in 2011, and Terry choked on the opportunity to do so and continues to choke on it. You had a (stated) desire to win Cups and virtually unlimited resources (may or may not be true then or now, but the impression was clearly given) and yet over two years later you still have rinky-dink, middling, status quo management. Why? Because Terry the dimwitted oil and gas man wanted to be the makeover in the hockey department. So here we are, not with a world-class, balls-the-size-of-cantalopes manager, but with Darcy and SnackMaster McTPegs. I believe Bucky. The Sabres are a laughingstock. Geez, why are they lining up to come here? The clarion call went out!

I hear it from sports radio in other markets. Thats how the team is perceived. As a fan I've watched every misstep and bungled decision intimately. And the perception has only gotten worse with TPegs ownership. He's dropped the ball.

#51 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think, from reading the posts in this thread, we must have sucked at hockey this year, aye?

#52 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think, from reading the posts in this thread, we must have sucked at hockey this year, aye?

Nah, we haven't sucked yet, but according management we may suck the next 3-5 years.

#53 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

You think the angst and depression among some fans comes from one bad season? You could argue that this franchise has sucked since the Knoxes lost full control. Has it really recovered since firing the coach and executive of the year? Regier tweaked the team Muckler built and came close. After Dom left, it's been one nice playoff run that had Cup written all over it and one playoff run that had disappointment written all over it. Above all else, ownership has let us down for 15 years. Seymour and Norty had their heart in the right place — most of all, as the next generation of a civic-minded Buffalo family, they wanted to give the city the gift of an NHL team. But they went beyond that and actually tried to win a Cup the best they could (and they lost money doing it). Because they hired top hockey guys and pretty much got out of the way, they came close a few times. With Imlach, Bowman and Muckler, at least we had a fighting chance.

#54 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

PA,

I agree with most of what you said, but Bowman set this team back for years, IMO. Although he tried, he set the team adrift in the vast wasteland that was the late 80's and early 90's, until Smilin' Ger and then Muckler took over.

#55 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Not true, the Sabers could win the Cup and this board would still find something to bitch about. :P

Oh boy, another Darcy sucks hijack. That never gets repetitive. :wallbash:

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 09 June 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#56 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

You think the angst and depression among some fans comes from one bad season? You could argue that this franchise has sucked since the Knoxes lost full control. Has it really recovered since firing the coach and executive of the year? Regier tweaked the team Muckler built and came close. After Dom left, it's been one nice playoff run that had Cup written all over it and one playoff run that had disappointment written all over it. Above all else, ownership has let us down for 15 years. Seymour and Norty had their heart in the right place — most of all, as the next generation of a civic-minded Buffalo family, they wanted to give the city the gift of an NHL team. But they went beyond that and actually tried to win a Cup the best they could (and they lost money doing it). Because they hired top hockey guys and pretty much got out of the way, they came close a few times. With Imlach, Bowman and Muckler, at least we had a fighting chance.

I realize that this level of whining cannot come from one season, but the consistency of it just gets to me. I like following hockey because it's fun. If I ever got to the point where most of the time I'm not having fun with it I'd do something else.

#57 K-9

K-9

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Time is not right to be looking towards free agency. We must tear it all down, grow our own, and just accept the fact that it's gonna be a while for the kids to come together. When we reach the point where we're competitive on a nightly basis, make the playoffs, and be a team nobod likes playing against, then it will be time to add an FA as a missing piece to put us over the top.

Again.

GO SABRES!!!

#58 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

If there's cap space available, and there will be, I say shop for FA's if they can be convinced to come here. There is no reason a rebuild means we need to be in the bottom of the league, or take 3-5 years to do it. I don't know why people are so convinced this is going to take so long. Darcy already got started by picking up three young centers. The ball has already been rolling.

#59 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 23,996 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

If there's cap space available, and there will be, I say shop for FA's if they can be convinced to come here. There is no reason a rebuild means we need to be in the bottom of the league, or take 3-5 years to do it. I don't know why people are so convinced this is going to take so long. Darcy already got started by picking up three young centers. The ball has already been rolling.

Probably because only one of the three has proven to be an NHL center, and a one-dimensional center at that. The other two are still up in the air whether they can be NHL players, let alone fill the needs we need them to.

#60 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

We are merely 3 weeks away from the dash to the free agent market, who would you like the Sabres to pick up, and people can post in news about signings here as well if they would like to.

Guys I'd like in order, not including Sabres RFAs/UFAs

1. Nathan Horton - 1/2 line RW Power Forward, has ben great in the playoffs too. (28)
2. Valtteri Filppula - 1/2 line LW with plenty of future potential still. (29)
3A. Bryan Bickell - 2/3 line LW Power Forward has been tremendous in the playoffs (27)

I want all three of them, and a bold move for Malkin ( yeah it never happens, but i also take Ovi :D, nah just kidding ).

Inbelieve we have enough role players to fill up line three and four if we can convince the three above to join us.

Vanek Hogdson Horton
Ennis Grigorenko Filppula
Bickel Larson/ Leino Ott ( for me the Leino exepriment as C is not over)
Flynn/Foligno Porter Tropp

I think i can live with that lineup, although Filppula is not a real right wing.
It is not a lineup of a cup contender, but i think it should have some grit and talent to make the playoffs and maybe enough to make round two.

If we are unlucky Stafford will be on line two nstead of Filppula

D:
Ehrhoff Sulzer

Myers\ McNabb Sekera

Weber Pysyk\ Ruhwedel

I think this D could work if Myers gets his game straight

G: Miller, Enroth, Hacket

Maybe Miller will be gone for nr. 2 center and pick.

And my dream for Malkin : Grigs, Miller, 2 first ( this year 8 and next year) or Grigs, Miller McNabb/Pysyk and first ( this year 8)
But i would only do it if Malkin shows interest to sign an additional contract ( i know this won't happen).

#61 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Probably because only one of the three has proven to be an NHL center, and a one-dimensional center at that. The other two are still up in the air whether they can be NHL players, let alone fill the needs we need them to.

Um, they're still kids. They were all drafted in the 1st round for a reason. How many teams have three 1st round centers?

And all this is besides my point.

#62 ORSabre

ORSabre

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Pegula burned any currency he had with the league after the Regehr debacle......Regehr didn't want to come here. Terry did a nice job of wooing him. 2 years later, the lockerroom was the only good thing about the franchise. Regehr couldn't pack his bags fast enough to get to LA.

It took a full court press to get a defensive defenseman in the last few years of his career to agree to come here. We offered Doan a 30% premium and he didn't even mention Buffalo in his decision making process. The city itself is not a bright light to the rest of the world.....then when you throw in the performance and preception of the team on top of it.....people need to be realistic about who will show up and play here.

This is probably the key point of the discussion. The city of Detroit is not a shining light to the rest of the world either, but players will sign with a well run franchise committed to winning. The real question is whether the Sabres can work to overcome their shortcomings with leadership over the next two or three years. If they can manage that, the state of the city will be a non-factor for FA's.

#63 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Pegula burned any currency he had with the league after the Regehr debacle......Regehr didn't want to come here. Terry did a nice job of wooing him. 2 years later, the lockerroom was the only good thing about the franchise. Regehr couldn't pack his bags fast enough to get to LA.

Regehr was interested in staying. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

#64 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

he was not, was not, was not , was not, wuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz notttttttt..lol.

now waiting for a was too............

Edited by waldo, 09 June 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#65 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Because they're French lemmings who would have cooperated with the Nazis in 1943.

I realize that this level of whining cannot come from one season, but the consistency of it just gets to me. I like following hockey because it's fun. If I ever got to the point where most of the time I'm not having fun with it I'd do something else.

I see you wrote "hockey" and not "Sabres hockey."

#66 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

he was not, was not, was not , was not, wuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz notttttttt..lol.

now waiting for a was too............

FWIW I know that Bucky Gleason agreed with GODD...but contrary,he wasn't in the hurry, it came down to Buffalo not talking extension.
Which I think was the right decision.

But we have to remember, every possible move, even the good ones, only hurt Buffalo's credibility on this forum.
Even if it gets them 2 2nd round picks.

#67 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Because you don't build a team with draftpicks and AHL'ers only, that's why.

You draft players, sure, and if you're able to build your team on mainly your own draft picks, more power to you.

But that's less than half the job - Who's to say any of these centers turn into NHL players? Hodgson looks good, but Grigorenko has shown nothing at the NHL level, and neither has Larsson. I know, they're young. But talent doesn't mean you become a good NHL player, Sabres fans of all people should know that by now.

This entire crop of young players could all fall flat on their faces when trying to make the transition from the minors to the NHL, and then you can start over rebuilding 5 years from now, without even getting the foundation set in the first place.

You need to bring in players who are NHL'ers too, and some of them have to be players than can address an immediate need as well.

Building solely from draft picks and minor leaguers never won anyone a cup. It's something you need to have in place, I get that. But when you do a rebuild, you need to identify players you can build a team around, and right now those players are not Grigorenko, Hodgson or Larsson, and they may well never be, for all we know.

So yes, I think it'll take at the very least 3-5 years, unless Darcy surprises the heck out everyone this off-season and brings in someone who can play center in the NHL today, and do it rather well too.

Let's face it, the way no. 1 and no. 2 centers have become rare commodities in free agency, things aren't going to be as easy as we'd all like.

#68 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Because you don't build a team with draftpicks and AHL'ers only, that's why.
You draft players, sure, and if you're able to build your team on mainly your own draft picks, more power to you.

But that's less than half the job - Who's to say any of these centers turn into NHL players? Hodgson looks good, but Grigorenko has shown nothing at the NHL level, and neither has Larsson. I know, they're young. But talent doesn't mean you become a good NHL player, Sabres fans of all people should know that by now.

This entire crop of young players could all fall flat on their faces when trying to make the transition from the minors to the NHL, and then you can start over rebuilding 5 years from now, without even getting the foundation set in the first place.

You need to bring in players who are NHL'ers too, and some of them have to be players than can address an immediate need as well.

Building solely from draft picks and minor leaguers never won anyone a cup. It's something you need to have in place, I get that. But when you do a rebuild, you need to identify players you can build a team around, and right now those players are not Grigorenko, Hodgson or Larsson, and they may well never be, for all we know.

So yes, I think it'll take at the very least 3-5 years, unless Darcy surprises the heck out everyone this off-season and brings in someone who can play center in the NHL today, and do it rather well too.

Let's face it, the way no. 1 and no. 2 centers have become rare commodities in free agency, things aren't going to be as easy as we'd all like.no

I said he got the ball rolling. No where did I say you build a team ONLY with draft picks.

How you can even think about coming to a conclusion on Grig already is beyond me.

The Canadiens did it in one year.

The Panthers did it in 4 with a COMPLETE top to bottom, wipe the slate clean, rebuild.

Darcy is already over a year into what would be considered a rebuild (whether it was called that at the time or not), it will not take 3-5 years.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 09 June 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#69 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I said he got the ball rolling. No where did I say you build a team ONLY with draft picks.

How you can even think about coming to a conclusion on Grig already is beyond me.

The Canadiens did it in one year.

The Panthers did it in 4 with a COMPLETE top to bottom, wipe the slate clean, rebuild.

Darcy is already over a year into what would be considered a rebuild (whether it was called that at the time or not), it will not take 3-5 years.

No you didn't, but Darcy all but said that's how he intends to rebuild. Through draft, and talented young players.

I haven't come to a conclusion on Grigs, other than we don't know if he'll ever be the player everyone is hoping he'll be. That's just simple fact, and I don't see how anyone can disagree?

The Candians may be the exception to the rule, but I don't necessarily agree what they did was a "rebuild".

The Panthers? Are you kidding me? They ended up dead last in the conference. I realise you didn't say a "succesful rebuild", but seriously?

#70 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

No you didn't, but Darcy all but said that's how he intends to rebuild. Through draft, and talented young players.

I haven't come to a conclusion on Grigs, other than we don't know if he'll ever be the player everyone is hoping he'll be. That's just simple fact, and I don't see how anyone can disagree?

The Candians may be the exception to the rule, but I don't necessarily agree what they did was a "rebuild".

The Panthers? Are you kidding me? They ended up dead last in the conference. I realise you didn't say a "succesful rebuild", but seriously?

Yes, I did. You even highlighted in bold print.

Darcy already got started by picking up three young centers. The ball has already been rolling.

And since when has anybody ever trusted Darcy? Ever stop to think he gave the impression of a worst case scenario so anthing shorter than that would be a boost for Sabre fans?

This sure seems to me like you've already made up your mind.

Hodgson looks good, but Grigorenko has shown nothing at the NHL level, and neither has Larsson. I know, they're young. But talent doesn't mean you become a good NHL player, Sabres fans of all people should know that by now.

Do you follow the Panthers? Do you have any idea what Tallon has done over the last 4 years? I'd love to have this conversation.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 09 June 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#71 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

And since when has anybody ever trusted Darcy? Ever stop to think he gave the impression of a worst case scenario so anthing shorter than that would be a boost for Sabre fans?

Do you follow the Panthers? Do you have any idea what Tallon has done over the last 4 years? I'd love to have this conversation.

I was replying "No you didn't" to your "No where did I say" remark, i.e. I was agreeing.

I don't care about Darcy's mind games, all I can relate to is what he says, then I'll decide if I believe it or not.

I believe it, because he tried free agency, and either failed or got burned. Is there a chance he'lls surprise me? Of course, which is exactly what I wrote above.

If a complete rebuild equals dead last in the league, that rebuild isn't complete, period. Chances are that Panthers rebuild is not quite done yet, that was my entire point.

Edited by Kristian, 09 June 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#72 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Yes Grigorenko in his whopping 10minute of ice time a night for what 25 games... we should give up on the 19yr old he sucks.

this place sometimes is completely out of touch with reality

#73 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yes Grigorenko in his whopping 10minute of ice time a night for what 25 games... we should give up on the 19yr old he sucks.

this place sometimes is completely out of touch with reality

Oh please - Need me to spell it out? "We don't know if he'll ever be what everyone hopes he'll be".

How the heck can anyone make that out to be, "yeah let's give up on him already".

This sure seems to me like you've already made up your mind.

I'm only responsible for what I type, not what you think I type.

#74 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I was replying "No you didn't" to your "No where did I say" remark, i.e. I was agreeing.

I don't care about Darcy's mind games, all I can relate to is what he says, then I'll decide if I believe it or not.

I believe it, because he tried free agency, and either failed or got burned. Is there a chance he'lls surprise me? Of course, which is exactly what I wrote above.

If a complete rebuild equals dead last in the league, that rebuild isn't complete, period. Chances are that Panthers rebuild is not quite done yet, that was my entire point.

This past season for the Panthers was expected. This was the year Tallon was bringing up most of his 1st and 2nd round picks from the last three years. Eight different players played their first NHL game this year. The reason they finished last is because of lots of rookie mistakes, but their talent was evident. But, the biggest reason was their top scoring line missed a total of 70 games. So not only did they not have any top line scoring, they had many rookies learning the ropes. Not to mention they were 4th in the league in man-games lost. 9 players drafted in the top two rounds in the 2010 and 2011 draft, all Tallon has to do now is make a couple of moves to fill in a couple of holes with proven vets. I bet he trades the #2 pick. What Tallon has done with his rebuild is nothing short of remarkable. It makes what Darcy is doing look like childs play. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 09 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#75 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

This past season was expected. This was the year Tallon was bringing up most of his 1st and 2nd round picks from the last three years. Eight different players played their first NHL game this year. The reason they finished last is because of lots of rookie mistakes, but their talent was evident. But, the biggest reason was their top scoring line missed a total of 70 games. So not only did they not have any top line scoring, they had many rookies learning the ropes. Not to mention they were 4th in the league in man-games lost. 9 players drafted in the top two rounds in the 2010 and 2011 draft, all Tallon has to do now is make a couple of moves to fill in a couple of holes with proven vets. I bet he trades the #2 pick. What Tallon has done with his rebuild is nothing short of remarkable. It makes what Darcy is doing look like childs play. ;)

So you agree with me then, they're almost done rebuilding? :flirt:

All kidding aside, I agree - That does sound remarkable.

#76 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

So you agree with me then, they're almost done rebuilding? :flirt:

All kidding aside, I agree - That does sound remarkable.

Yeah, this should be the year everybody settles in after a couple of moves are made. What was unbelievable was when Tallon took over, he spent the next year evaluating. The next year the opening day roster had 3 players left from the previous year. He wiped the slate clean! We'll see what happens. Can't wait to see how these new guys turn out.

#77 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

FWIW I know that Bucky Gleason agreed with GODD...but contrary,he wasn't in the hurry, it came down to Buffalo not talking extension.

But we have to remember, every possible move, even the good ones, only hurt Buffalo's credibility on this forum.

i was teasing you eggs.....i would not have resigned him either , but probably for different reasons ...i am happy he got to play on a better team,and got resigned .. with the correct partner i always thought he would have been more than servicable..

Edited by waldo, 09 June 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#78 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I see you wrote "hockey" and not "Sabres hockey."

I'm on here aren't I? Everything I view NHL-wise I view through a Sabres fan lens. You are like a crotchety broken speak and spell. Just says the same thing over and over and over, and the way the words come out is so creepy it scars you for life.

What were we talking about?

Edited by qwksndmonster, 09 June 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#79 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

i was teasing you eggs.....i would not have resigned him either , but probably for different reasons ...i am happy he got to play on a better team,and got resigned .. with the correct partner i always thought he would have been more than servicable..

Thanks for that.
:) Sometimes I must remind myself I spend way too much time thinking hockey.

Edited by X. Benedict, 09 June 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#80 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Dinosaur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

So.....they begged him to come here...move his family from the only city his children have ever known.....against his original judgement.....then 18 months later they tell they aren't interested.???

So how does either scenario put the Sabres in a positive light???????????????