1057 replies to this topic

#1 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

We are merely 3 weeks away from the dash to the free agent market, who would you like the Sabres to pick up, and people can post in news about signings here as well if they would like to.

Guys I'd like in order, not including Sabres RFAs/UFAs

1. Nathan Horton - 1/2 line RW Power Forward, has ben great in the playoffs too. (28)
2. Valtteri Filppula - 1/2 line LW with plenty of future potential still.  (29)
3A. Bryan Bickell - 2/3 line LW Power Forward has been tremendous in the playoffs (27)
3B. David Clarkson - 2/3 RW Power Forward Fun to watch for sure

Veterans I'd be interested in getting to help with teaching

1. Michael Ryder - (33) Won a Stanley Cup with Boston, was key in that team, 3 or 4 30+ goal seasons **I'd like this guy**

2. Dustin Penner - (30) He's been cold in the season of late but in the playoff he has shown great play, has won 2 Stanley Cups, a key in his first 1 and had a 30 goal season.

#2 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

It is that time, isn't it?

Didn't Darcy indicate that Buffalo won't be much of a player in the free agent market this year?  Still gonna need to fill out a scoring wing spot or two.

#3 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'd still like to see a veteran center added to the roster.  Mike Ribeiro on the #2 line would be ideal (and probably not a realistic target) but adding Matthew Lombardi for the 3rd line might be a good stop gap until Larsson/Girgensens is ready for full time 3rd line duty.  Matt cullen as well.

#4 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'll be honest...after watching the playoffs......it's like having made love to a young Sophia Loren, then have to come home to the manic depressive, 280lb wife....

I don't care! Someone wake me when Darcy is MIA......

#5 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,938 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 07 June 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

I'll be honest...after watching the playoffs......it's like having made love to a young Sophia Loren, then have to come home to the manic depressive, 280lb wife....

I don't care! Someone wake me when Darcy is MIA......

I could not have put it better myself.

#6 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

clarkson. but honestly, why would any legit free agent come here now? especially when we trade away our two best players at the draft?

#7 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Exactly. Why would a free agent come to Buffalo when Regier made public the suffering he envisioned in his plan to rebuild the Sabres. No one wants to play for a loser.

#8 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

Not interested in any of Wookie's guys for the prices they are likely to command, unless we trade Vanek for young guys.
One veteran defencemen, please, preferably a top four guy who can kill penalties.

#9 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 08 June 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Exactly. Why would a free agent come to Buffalo when Regier made public the suffering he envisioned in his plan to rebuild the Sabres. No one wants to play for a loser.

Based on Darcy's comments, why would he even consider reaching out to top free agents?

#10 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

Nathan Horton
Tyler Bozak
Matt Cullen
Nik Antropov
Dustin Penner
Toni Lydman
Stephen Weiss

Those are the guys I would target assuming any/some of them make it to free agency.

Also Shawn Horcoff, though not a UFA, will likely be traded. He's got a pretty hefty contract at 5.5 mil for two more seasons, and he'll be 35 in September. But I've always liked him, and if we trade Vanek/Miller the salary shouldn't play an issue.

Edited by thesportsbuff, 08 June 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#11 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

Tired of hearing this one.

Why would a free agent come to Buffalo?

There are plenty of good reasons, starting with Buffalo's money is as good as anyone else's and half the teams in the league are already looking at  cap problems for next season at 64 million. Half the teams in the league already have less than 10 million to spend in the off-season and less than 2M per roster opening.

While Buffalo might not be a desirable location when compared to say Montreal, Vancouver, Pitt or San Jose.....a free agent might not want to work for the league minimum, and half the teams in the league are already against the cap looking at next year, and the other half are not going to spend to the cap.

Another factor is ice time. Winning is important - but for many players money and ice time come next, and Buffalo can provide that.

Buffalo might not land the #1 free agent of the year like the Rangers grabbed Richards....but low travel time, proximity to Ontario, cost of living, ice time, and ownership all have their own appeals, and length of contract can weigh in too.

#12 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

There are plenty of good reasons, starting with Buffalo's money is as good as anyone else's and half the teams in the league are already looking at  cap problems for next season at 64 million. Half the teams in the league already have less than 10 million to spend in the off-season and less than 2M per roster opening.

While Buffalo might not be a desirable location when compared to say Montreal, Vancouver, Pitt or San Jose.....a free agent might not want to work for the league minimum, and half the teams in the league are already against the cap looking at next year, and the other half are not going to spend to the cap.

Another factor is ice time. Winning is important - but for many players money and ice time come next, and Buffalo can provide that.

Buffalo might not land the #1 free agent of the year like the Rangers grabbed Richards....but low travel time, proximity to Ontario, cost of living, ice time, and ownership all have their own appeals, and length of contract can weigh in too.
The only free agents the Sabres are going to be able to sign are guys just out for a paycheck. is that really the kind of players you want in a looker room that will be filled with mostly young players?

Any free agent with pride and a desire to win is not coming to Buffalo.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Exactly, unless they're playing for money.

Don't want anymore of those guys, thank you very much, I'd rather watch a bunch of AHL nobodies who at least give a damn.

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

That may be true, to a certain extent.

But the reasons you listed above have to be way down on any decent players list of reasons for going to a certain team.

The best reason to come here is a paycheck apparently - Not what this team needs. At all.

*edit

I'd be a lot more enclined to take a few players who may be looking for money more than winning the big one, IF Darcy wasn't the one negotiating those deals.

I have absolutely no factual evidence to back this up, but I cannot imagine player agents aren't licking their chops when the talks fall on the Sabres, looking at the deals Darcy's handed out in the past few years.

Edited by Kristian, 08 June 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#14 sicknfla

sicknfla

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Big name free agents don't guarantee you a damn thing anyhow. And that applies to all sports. For a lot of guys that big contract is the first day of retirement. I would love to see an extended study of a players stat averages before and after a FA contact.

#15 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

If they sign anyone I want them to be terrible.  The Sabres need Connor McDavid.  Lose! Lose! Lose!

#16 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 08 June 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

The only free agents the Sabres are going to be able to sign are guys just out for a paycheck. is that really the kind of players you want in a looker room that will be filled with mostly young players?

Any free agent with pride and a desire to win is not coming to Buffalo.
There is something relentlessly silly about this statement. Really, really silly.

Players that go to market want to get paid. And they all believe they can win wherever they go - yes, even if that is Buffalo -that is the pro ego. They all want ice time - they all want the chance to play. Pride often has more to do with going where they will play the most. 18 minutes a game in Buffalo at 3M is an more attractive proposition than 1M a year with 7 minutes a game in Chicago. Pride says I'm worth more, pride says I deserve to play more.

They all have pride - many also have wives that control the finances and extended families they are taking care of. Hockey is a little different that way.

#17 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

There is something relentlessly silly about this statement. Really, really silly.

Players that go to market want to get paid. And they all believe they can win wherever they go - yes, even if that is Buffalo -that is the pro ego. They all want ice time - they all want the chance to play. Pride often has more to do with going where they will play the most. 18 minutes a game in Buffalo at 3M is an more attractive proposition than 1M a year with 7 minutes a game in Chicago. Pride says I'm worth more, pride says I deserve to play more.

They all have pride - many also have wives that control the finances and extended families they are taking care of. Hockey is a little different that way.

You forgot the desire to win part....ergo, they aren't coming to Buffalo all other things equal.

And it would be more like.....10 minutes at $2.2 million in Chicago, or 16 minutes at $3 million in Buffalo. The types of guys I WANT on my team would take a little haircut to be on a winner. We've had this debate before, and from a personal side....the best times as a musician I've ever had was playing 4th trumpet in a pro of pros band....rather than lead in a mediocre one.

#18 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Using the word "silly" and then posting this is hilarious. Players and, more importantly, their agents know which teams to sign with if they want a chance to win and which teams are an easy mark for a paycheck. The Sabres are the latter. Players aren't stupid.

#19 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 08 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Using the word "silly" and then posting this is hilarious. Players and, more importantly, their agents know which teams to sign with if they want a chance to win and which teams are an easy mark for a paycheck. The Sabres are the latter. Players aren't stupid.

Pegula burned any currency he had with the league after the Regehr debacle......Regehr didn't want to come here. Terry did a nice job of wooing him. 2 years later, the lockerroom was the only good thing about the franchise. Regehr couldn't pack his bags fast enough to get to LA.

It took a full court press to get a defensive defenseman in the last few years of his career to agree to come here. We offered Doan a 30% premium and he didn't even mention Buffalo in his decision making process. The city itself is not a bright light to the rest of the world.....then when you throw in the performance and preception of the team on top of it.....people need to be realistic about who will show up and play here.

#20 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

You forgot the desire to win part....ergo, they aren't coming to Buffalo all other things equal.

And it would be more like.....10 minutes at $2.2 million in Chicago, or 16 minutes at $3 million in Buffalo. The types of guys I WANT on my team would take a little haircut to be on a winner. We've had this debate before, and from a personal side....the best times as a musician I've ever had was playing 4th trumpet in a pro of pros band....rather than lead in a mediocre one.

Chicago has 2 million to spend in the off-season and two roster spots left. I wasn't making that up. 1 million is about right. Which player is going to take a haircut when he can get 3M a year at term on the market.Is he going to move the wife and kids to Chicago to play 1 year at a 66% discount?

View Postdeluca67, on 08 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

You may think so. You may even scratch your head over it.  But that's the pro athelete.

Edited by X. Benedict, 08 June 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#21 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Chicago has 2 million to spend in the off-season and two roster spots left. I wasn't making that up. 1 million is about right. Which player is going to take a haircut when he can get 3M a year at term on the market.Is he going to move the wife and kids to Chicago to play 1 year at a 66% discount?

You may think so. You may even scratch your head over it.  But that's the pro athelete.

OK....but there are 28 other teams Bickell can go to.......if Buffalo is in the top 5 of ANYBODY's list who is worth a salt.....and they didn't grow up within a 90 mile radius.....I'd be surprised.

And that is the "immature" pro athlete. Granted, that probably defines 70% of them......

#22 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Pegula burned any currency he had with the league after the Regehr debacle......Regehr didn't want to come here. Terry did a nice job of wooing him. 2 years later, the lockerroom was the only good thing about the franchise. Regehr couldn't pack his bags fast enough to get to LA.

It took a full court press to get a defensive defenseman in the last few years of his career to agree to come here. We offered Doan a 30% premium and he didn't even mention Buffalo in his decision making process. The city itself is not a bright light to the rest of the world.....then when you throw in the performance and preception of the team on top of it.....people need to be realistic about who will show up and play here.
It also took a monster front loaded deal to sign Ehrhoff. And don't even get me started on Leino, front line money for a third/fourth line winger.

#23 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 08 June 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

It also took a monster front loaded deal to sign Ehrhoff. And don't even get me started on Leino, front line money for a third/fourth line winger.

Not only that...but I do applaud them for trading for Ehrhoff's rights.....but that gave them a huge advantage. If he went to open FA without that, he may not have even fielded Buffalo's call. We had him held captive.

And supposedly Lieno even lied and said he would play center in order to get a payday!

#24 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

OK....but there are 28 other teams Bickell can go to.......if Buffalo is in the top 5 of ANYBODY's list who is worth a salt.....and they didn't grow up within a 90 mile radius.....I'd be surprised.

And that is the "immature" pro athlete. Granted, that probably defines 70% of them......

Local example, maturity notwithstanding....Jay McKee's best chance to win a cup was signing for a discount in Buffalo 2006-07 -  he went to a losing team in St. Louis for money and term. I don't think he ever mailed it in. And he probably thought in that time, they could win even though St. Louis was in rough shape.

McKee is not atypical. Money, Term, Playing time, Family  - - and even the rationalization - "Hey I  could help turn this around"

#25 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Not only that...but I do applaud them for trading for Ehrhoff's rights.....but that gave them a huge advantage. If he went to open FA without that, he may not have even fielded Buffalo's call. We had him held captive.

And supposedly Lieno even lied and said he would play center in order to get a payday!

Had him captive? It was like 3 days before UFA opened. Talk about a ridiculous statement.

#26 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

We don't need any more LW wings.  Bickell is out for me because I think Foligno can develop into a better player than him and Ott can assume that role of shut down 3rd liner until then.

I like going after David Clarkson as we could use a RW and he has a lot of grit.  Also i think we need another defender of the veteran variety.  Mark Streit would be my primary target but I think he would blow our entire UFA budget.  So that being said I have no clue who we should take but RH defender with grit but speed.

#27 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Local example, maturity notwithstanding....Jay McKee's best chance to win a cup was signing for a discount in Buffalo 2006-07 -  he went to a losing team in St. Louis for money and term. I don't think he ever mailed it in. And he probably thought in that time, they could win even though St. Louis was in rough shape.

McKee is not atypical. Money, Term, Playing time, Family  - - and even the rationalization - "Hey I  could help turn this around"

I think you are forgetting the part where 6 months earlier McKee presented to the Sabres the EXACT same terms he ended up turning down FROM the Sabres after the season. There was more to it than a money grab. It was typical Darcy.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 08 June 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Had him captive? It was like 3 days before UFA opened. Talk about a ridiculous statement.

OK.....I challenge you to come to my basement for 72 hours.....bring some lotion....and a basket. ;)

#28 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I think you are forgetting the part where 6 months earlier McKee presented to the Sabres the EXACT same terms he ended up turning down FROM the Sabres after the season. There was more to it than a money grab. It was typical Darcy.

Forget Buffalo then, why go to last place St. Louis. that won 20 games? (Why not any other franchise?)

Did Jay McKee lack pride? Not at all. money, the prospect of first pairing time, a captaincy perhaps, security, family,  all counted into that decision (right, Jay?).....and St. Louis was in rough, rough shape. (Buffalo just won more games this year in a 48 game season than 2005-06 St. Louis in a 82 game season).

He believed he could win there despite all evidence. It is the athlete's nature.

#29 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 08 June 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Bickell's agent is probably looking at a 6-8 team market for his services.

#30 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Sergei Gonchar to the Stars for 2 years $10MM. This tells me that that players will sign with bad teams, free agency is still going to be stupid even with a falling cap, and Ehrhoff's contract is pure gold that should never, ever, be complained about.

#31 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

FWIW... last summer I visited the Sabres Store with my brother the sometimes-Pens fan. While I hid behind the sweaters, he approached Kevbo. During a commercial break, my brother asked about free agency goings-on and Kevbo said, "Nobody wants to come to Buffalo."

#32 ParkMeadow

ParkMeadow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sorry for sounding dumb, but who is Kevbo?

#33 Tankalicious

Tankalicious

McDavid is to McDieFor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Quite frankly, I think Buffalo shouldn't sign ANYBODY this offseason. Unless it's a CHEAP one or two year deal for a plug.

#34 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 08 June 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Sergei Gonchar to the Stars for 2 years $10MM. This tells me that that players will sign with bad teams, free agency is still going to be stupid even with a falling cap, and Ehrhoff's contract is pure gold that should never, ever, be complained about.

Of course they'll sign with bad teams for ridiculous money, but will they play well, let alone help turn things around?

Doubtful at best.

#35 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 June 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Forget Buffalo then, why go to last place St. Louis. that won 20 games? (Why not any other franchise?)

Did Jay McKee lack pride? Not at all. money, the prospect of first pairing time, a captaincy perhaps, security, family,  all counted into that decision (right, Jay?).....and St. Louis was in rough, rough shape. (Buffalo just won more games this year in a 48 game season than 2005-06 St. Louis in a 82 game season).

He believed he could win there despite all evidence. It is the athlete's nature.
He believed it was the only team that was going to pay him the kind of money he wanted. Any rationalizing beyond that is simply romanticizing.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 08 June 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Players will sign with bad teams for a lot of money. Not many teams are going to shell out $10 mil to a 39 year old, that is why he sign, not a glamorized idea that Gonchar things he can win with the Stars. This is a perfect example of a player choosing money over success.

Edited by deluca67, 09 June 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#36 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostKristian, on 09 June 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Of course they'll sign with bad teams for ridiculous money, but will they play well, let alone help turn things around?

Doubtful at best.

I see no reason to assume a player will play poorly just because they take the money they're offered. Possible of course, but we shouldn't pretend it's all but automatic. Oh, and Gonchar turned down an extra $4MM from the KHL, so it's not all about money.

View Postdeluca67, on 09 June 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Players will sign with bad teams for a lot of money. Not many teams are going to shell out $10 mil to a 39 year old, that is why he sign, not a glamorized idea that Gonchar things he can win with the Stars. This is a perfect example of a player choosing money over success.

Again, he turned down several million more dollars from the KHL in his native Russia to take the Stars' deal. Seems like he's more than a dollar-driven mercenary.

#37 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 June 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

I see no reason to assume a player will play poorly just because they take the money they're offered. Possible of course, but we shouldn't pretend it's all but automatic. Oh, and Gonchar turned down an extra $4MM from the KHL, so it's not all about money.

The assumption that anyone who gets a raise won't work as hard seems very Buffalonian.

#38 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 June 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

Again, he turned down several million more dollars from the KHL in his native Russia to take the Stars' deal. Seems like he's more than a dollar-driven mercenary.
Was it "several million" or "$4MM" ?

I think $10 mil to play in the US is a better deal than say $14 mil in the KHL. He didn't sign with the Stars because he thinks he can win.

#39 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 09 June 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Was it "several million" or "$4MM" ?

I think $10 mil to play in the US is a better deal than say $14 mil in the KHL. He didn't sign with the Stars because he thinks he can win.

Either that first portion is missing an emoticon, or you're not even trying anymore. To the second part, we don't know why he signed, but we can be reasonably assured money wasn't the only reason.

#40 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 June 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Either that first portion is missing an emoticon, or you're not even trying anymore. To the second part, we don't know why he signed, but we can be reasonably assured money wasn't the only reason.
I think it's funny you went from a specific number to a general range in an attempt to enhance your point.

Gonchar is a 39 year old defensemen with limited options. There are not many teams out there willing to throw $10 mil at him. He's going to bank the money and ride off into the sunset. I am reasonably assured that money was the primary determining factor in his signing with the Stars. I am also reasonably assured that Gonchar knows he will not be playing for a Stanley Cup in the next two years being with the Stars.