26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Torts is Toast with the NYR:
@RenLavoieRDS
Rangers confirmed that John Tortorella was fired today. #RDS

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 15 June 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#2 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 29 May 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

@RenLavoieRDS

and vogl tweeted that this is a job that lindy would like to have.

i have no idea whether lindy will be a candidate for the rangers job and i'm not sure what sort of fit tortorella would have been for a re-building club like ours, but it would've been fun to have the two of them squaring off next season behind new benches.

#3 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 29 May 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

@RenLavoieRDS

Hmmm. A coach of Torts caliber on the market. I can't help but feel that Darcy removed the interim label too soon from Rolston.

#4 Rico7

Rico7

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 May 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Hmmm. A coach of Torts caliber on the market. I can't help but feel that Darcy removed the interim label too soon from Rolston.

Agree 100%. Especially with Alain Vigneault out there as well.

#5 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Darcy hate is flowing thru my veins.

#6 WildCard

WildCard

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Is anyone really surprised by this move? I get why they did it, but he's certainly not the man to be blamed for this. 4th best winning % in the East since he took the job, only Bruins Caps and Pens have a better one.

I can never figure out why teams never learn that you can't just throw money/talent at a team and expect it to work. Look at the Eagles "Dream Team," a good amount of the Yankees teams that underachieved for their pay, the Miami Marlins, the Blue Jays this year, the list goes on and on. Even the Heat struggled their first year and are doing so now against a vastly different team in the Pacers. You need chemistry and comradery, not just piles of money in Richards Gaborik and Nash. Gaborik got a good return and Broussard played dividends in the playoffs, but Nash was basically lost and Richards, the Con Smyth man brought in specifically for the playoffs, was benched.

#7 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,797 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Torts, Vigneault and Lindy all on the market should make for an interesting off season.

#8 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postwjag, on 29 May 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Torts, Vigneault and Lindy all on the market should make for an interesting off season.
Just not for the Sabres

#9 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 May 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

I don't think Torts is anything special, honestly.  He's one of any number of good coaches with some good traits and some warts.  Since winning the Cup in Tampa, he's 22-33 in the playoffs.  Of course I also abhor the style of hockey he coaches, so I'm not totally unbiased :P

View PostWildCard, on 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Is anyone really surprised by this move? I get why they did it, but he's certainly not the man to be blamed for this. 4th best winning % in the East since he took the job, only Bruins Caps and Pens have a better one.

Not surprised in the least.  Not to name drop or anything (which we all know means I'm about to), but I'm good friends with somebody who is friends with a prominent Rangers player, and I was told during the regular season that the team is sick of Torts.  They're tired of his strict defensive system and getting yelled at when they try to open things up and play faster offensively.  And Lundqvist talking about his time with the Rangers in the past tense after they were eliminated, intentional or not, spoke volumes--in short, he's tired of feeling like if he lets in one bad goal they lose, he wants offensive support (no, my source isn't Lundqvist).

Edit:  Also, shouldn't Drane be showing up shortly to comment on how much of a weasel Sather is?  This is what, his 4th (?) coach he's fired in NY to save his own skin?  Sounds like a weasel to me!

Edited by TrueBluePhD, 29 May 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#10 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

A part of me would like to see Tortorella destroy Gleason, Sullivan, and Harrington at a press conference.  That's the only positive I see.

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 29 May 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Edit:  Also, shouldn't Drane be showing up shortly to comment on how much of a weasel Sather is?  This is what, his 4th (?) coach he's fired in NY to save his own skin?  Sounds like a weasel to me!

Stop counting.  That's advanced statistics hoopla.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 29 May 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#11 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 29 May 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

A part of me would like to see Tortorella destroy Gleason, Sullivan, and Harrington at a press conference.  That's the only positive I see.

Stop counting.  That's advanced statistics hoopla.

Seems like it's never Slats' fault:

@drosennhl
NYR GM Glen Sather is addressing the media through a conference call in 10 minutes. More to come.

#12 Rico7

Rico7

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postinkman, on 29 May 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Just not for the Sabres

:wallbash:

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 29 May 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Seems like it's never Slats' fault:

@drosennhl
NYR GM Glen Sather is addressing the media through a conference call in 10 minutes. More to come.

Hmm. Sounds familiar.

#13 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

A part of me would like to see Tortorella destroy Gleason, Sullivan, and Harrington at a press conference. That's the only positive I see.

How amazing would that be. To hear Harrington get all butt hurt about Rolston getting snippy at him. He would have a breakdown over torts

#14 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 29 May 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

How amazing would that be. To hear Harrington get all butt hurt about Rolston getting snippy at him. He would have a breakdown over torts

Maybe just hire him as the PR guy.

"This the Buffalo Sabres post-game press conference.  All of your questions are ###### stupid.  Don't you dare try to coach this ###### team.  Proceed.  Anything more? No?  Don't waste my time.  We're done."

#15 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

That would be kind of fun.  Other than that, Tortorella's not a guy I'd want here.

#16 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Our coach is Rolston for the foreseeable future... moving on.

#17 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,797 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 29 May 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Our coach is Rolston for the foreseeable future... moving on.

What if I can't see?  Who then would it be?

#18 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

@sportingnews
Relive some of John Tortorella's greatest rants and outbursts - http://bit.ly/15a00zw

#19 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,102 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd take torts in an assistant role.

#20 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm surprised Torts didn't see this coming:
@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Sather said Tortorella was "shocked" when given the news. New coaching search to begin soon, hopes to be done by draft

#21 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postwjag, on 29 May 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

What if I can't see?  Who then would it be?
Ron Rolston

#22 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

What about GMs???

@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Sather: "Every coach has a shelf life"

#23 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

That would be highly entertaining!!

#24 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 29 May 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I'd take torts in an assistant role.

Obviously Rolston must be a sly guy - he is probably waiting for Tortorella & Vigneault to not get head coaching gigs and then he can get them to be his assistants.

#25 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Sather will retain his dual role as team president/ general manager next season, he confirmed on conference call

#26 WildCard

WildCard

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 29 May 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I'm surprised Torts didn't see this coming:
@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Sather said Tortorella was "shocked" when given the news. New coaching search to begin soon, hopes to be done by draft

View PostWildCard, on 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

That's kinda funny :lol:

#27 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 29 May 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

I don't think Torts is anything special, honestly.  He's one of any number of good coaches with some good traits and some warts.  Since winning the Cup in Tampa, he's 22-33 in the playoffs.  Of course I also abhor the style of hockey he coaches, so I'm not totally unbiased :P

I think he's shown ability to coach a number of different styles. He's made the playoffs with no defense or goalie at all. Those Tampa teams were hardly D first.

#28 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 May 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I think he's shown ability to coach a number of different styles. He's made the playoffs with no defense or goalie at all. Those Tampa teams were hardly D first.

I don't know, maybe he got crotchety and stubborn since then?  Because in NY he completely refused to allow the players to open it up and get into a free-flowing game.

#29 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Grin and bear it...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Despite an owner with (apparently) deep pockets, it sure looks like the Sabres are being run on a shoestring. Choosing Rolston as a coach before the playoffs were even over, selling off most of the veteran talent for draft picks, raising ticket prices....  This does not look like a team that's trying to position itself to be a contender any time soon (which, in fairness, we knew already).
So, if we are speculating where these guys will wind up....  Lindy to the Rangers, Torts to...Philly?  Vigneault....Dallas?

#30 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

This.

#31 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostKristian, on 29 May 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

This.

#32 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostSuffer_enuff, on 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Despite an owner with (apparently) deep pockets, it sure looks like the Sabres are being run on a shoestring. Choosing Rolston as a coach before the playoffs were even over, selling off most of the veteran talent for draft picks, raising ticket prices....  This does not look like a team that's trying to position itself to be a contender any time soon (which, in fairness, we knew already).
So, if we are speculating where these guys will wind up....  Lindy to the Rangers, Torts to...Philly?  Vigneault....Dallas?

Or, they're going for the real rebuild where you sell off assets and bring in a coach that's reportedly good with young players. All how you read into it.

#33 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostMattPie, on 29 May 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Or, they're going for the real rebuild where you sell off assets and bring in a coach that's reportedly good with young players. All how you read into it.

Would make sense, and I would be ok with this.... If it wasn't Darcy Regier orchestrating it.

The guy's had 16 years to build a solid hockey team, and since 05 he's pretty much had whatever financial resources he could want. Despite popular belief, Golisano was in no way a tight-spender, he just didn't want to spend to the cap, just like a lot of other teams didn't.

What we've seen these past 5 seasons is what he's capable of - No thanks, no more of this experiment.

Anyone else, feel free to blow the whole thing up and try again, but Regier should've been gone so long ago, it hurts my head thinking about it.

#34 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostKristian, on 29 May 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Would make sense, and I would be ok with this.... If it wasn't Darcy Regier orchestrating it.

The guy's had 16 years to build a solid hockey team, and since 05 he's pretty much had whatever financial resources he could want. Despite popular belief, Golisano was in no way a tight-spender, he just didn't want to spend to the cap, just like a lot of other teams didn't.

What we've seen these past 5 seasons is what he's capable of - No thanks, no more of this experiment.

Anyone else, feel free to blow the whole thing up and try again, but Regier should've been gone so long ago, it hurts my head thinking about it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I don't know what Darcy can do in this situation. I'd have no problem if he got canned. I also don't have a huge issue with him staying. I just don't think that the OP's assertion that the Sabres have somehow suddenly become a bottom-spending team that's just trying to get by is valid. I think the organ-aye-zation thinks this the best way to get better for the long-haul.

#35 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Attention Terry Pegula!! This message is for you:
@Proteautype
That Glen Sather remains Rangers GM shows how powerful the sad affliction of willful owner blindness can be. Vaccinate your owner today!

Retweeted by The Hockey News

#36 deluca67

deluca67

67 - The Number of the Beast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,022 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostKristian, on 29 May 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Is there another figure in professional sports more despised my their own fan base than Darcy Regier?

#37 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postdeluca67, on 29 May 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Is there another figure in professional sports more despised my their own fan base than Darcy Regier?

The guys here in Philly bitch about the Eagles front office non-stop.

#38 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

In hockey
Feaster?  Tambellini was just fired.   I don't think Darcy is very much hated myself if you put him on the feelings of intensity that Burke created.

#39 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Yes, there is.

#40 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostEleven, on 29 May 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Yes, there is.

Absolutely is.  Feaster is one.  Mike Gillis is climbing fast.  Doug MacLean must have been way up there.  I'm sure Garth Snow doesn't have many friends.  And that's just NHL GMs, not even beginning to consider other positions (Charles Wang) and other sports (Alex Rodriguez).

Ridiculous to think there's not.