Who still has a landline?

offtopic

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Who still has a landline?

Landline at home?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Just curious, who still has a landline in their house/apartment?

I have been debating about getting rid of it for a few years now, and think I am ready to take the plunge.

#2 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,289 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Shocker. I do. It's bundled with my Internet service, so it's relatively cheap. (And, yes, the phone is the kind you have to crank, with the separate ear piece.) Maybe I've had crappy cell phones, but I prefer the crystal-clear sound of the landline.

#3 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have not had one in ten years and do not miss it.  I had a little problem in 05-06, when I moved too close to the Canadian border and AT&T/Cingular/AT&T would lose signal, but changing to Verizon fixed that.

#4 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

I still have one, as long as you consider VoIP to be a landline.  I don't use it much, but it's a nice fail-safe if the cell network goes down or I break my phone and can't immediately replace it, whatever.  And at ~$25 per year, I'm really not going to complain (seriously, if you use a landline from a phone/cable company, you're being financially raped...get a VoIP solution, there's several viable options for dirt cheap).

#5 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'm using VOIP with Ooma.  My monthly bill is less than $4/month.

#6 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 30 April 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I don't but must admit I miss it at times. Unexpected by product of getting rid of it, my 9 year old now has a better phone then I do and I had to switch from a family plan to a business plan in order to add a 6th line. Oh well, story of my life, every attempt at saving money results in spending more.

#7 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have a voipo.com VOIP phone, which is way more expensive than others are claiming here. I've had it for a few years, my old girlfriend liked having a house phone. I've just reworked my cell phone, so it now has unlimited minutes so I'm ditching the voip phone.

I do have a Google Voice number that rings both my cell and my home phone. The neat thing is you can set up Gvoice with any area code you like, so I have a local number in addition to my phone's native number, which I've had for over 10 years and 3 states.

#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I thought Landmines were outlawed by The Ottawa Treaty?

#9 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

We don't have one.

Funny, my little niece asked me what a "dial tone" was once.

#10 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,076 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Funny I asked a kid recently if she knew the Beatles names:

"John, Paul, Matthew and Mark," she said.

#11 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostMattPie, on 30 April 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

I have a voipo.com VOIP phone, which is way more expensive than others are claiming here. I've had it for a few years, my old girlfriend liked having a house phone. I've just reworked my cell phone, so it now has unlimited minutes so I'm ditching the voip phone.

How can your VoIP phone be so expensive? There's an up front cost of $100-300 depending on your choice, but after that even the most expensive should be less than $50 per year.

#12 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 30 April 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

How can your VoIP phone be so expensive? There's an up front cost of $100-300 depending on your choice, but after that even the most expensive should be less than $50 per year.

I haven't price shopped in awhile. I think mine is $120/yr. That was a steal in 2008 when Voicewing and Vonage were $25/mo. :)

#13 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I've been cellphone only since 2006, but the fiancee has a landline for two reasons: 1) when the kids are home alone, and 2) for her in-home preschool.

#14 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

We have a land line.  My internet provider is DSL and they require a land line for DSL service.

#15 ROC_EMT

ROC_EMT

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I voted yes as I currently have one but in 2 weeks it's gone.  I just can't stand getting all the sales pitches and charity calls.  Even though we screen them and don't pick up it's still frustrating having the phone ring.  And lately they've been calling even later and later in the evening.  8:30pm is too late if you ask me.

#16 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Wires are for geriatrics.

#17 SMIRNOFF

SMIRNOFF

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yep, we still have one.  Primarily my daughter uses it.

#18 Fuzzy Dunlop

Fuzzy Dunlop

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have an Ooma too but fortunately I got mine before they had any fees so I paid about $200 to buy it and have paid $0 for the last 5 years.  I took a new number when I got it and have never been listed in the phone book so I get very few telemarketers.

Verizon made me also take their phone service as part of my FIOS package.  They were going to charge me $20 more a month if I did not take the phone.   That line is plugged into my printer so anyone who calls gets the fax noise in their ear,  I seriously get more calls on that line than my Ooma line even though I've never given that number to anyone.

#19 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,289 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 30 April 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Wires are for geriatrics.

Yeah, like that old guy who walked across the Falls.

#20 skaught

skaught

Rolston Centipede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Nope, when I moved out of my parents house I got a cell phone, never needed a landline.

#21 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Still do if you count a VOIP, came with the cable package less abt $25 per month.  Bout to get rid of cable, just keeping the interenet, may go back to vonage if it costs too much with the cable company.

#22 BuffalOhio

BuffalOhio

Shredder's favorite ref!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 30 April 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I am, too, Blitz.  I've had it for about 3 years and it's fantastic.  What a deal!

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 30 April 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Still do if you count a VOIP, came with the cable package less abt $25 per month.  Bout to get rid of cable, just keeping the interenet, may go back to vonage if it costs too much with the cable company.

DON'T go to Vonage.  It'll end up costing $30 a month.  If you had Vonage, you will love Ooma.  Here in OH it's $3.46 a month, and those are for the fees that EVERYONE pays.  I pay 10 bucks a month for the extras like having an email sent to my GMail account when someone leaves a VM on my Ooma line.  I hated Vonage and couldn't wait to get off it.  Too much trouble with their routers and their price kept creeping upward.  Ooma is hassle free.

#23 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostBuffalOhio, on 30 April 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

I am, too, Blitz.  I've had it for about 3 years and it's fantastic.  What a deal!

DON'T go to Vonage.  It'll end up costing $30 a month.  If you had Vonage, you will love Ooma.  Here in OH it's $3.46 a month, and those are for the fees that EVERYONE pays.  I pay 10 bucks a month for the extras like having an email sent to my GMail account when someone leaves a VM on my Ooma line.  I hated Vonage and couldn't wait to get off it.  Too much trouble with their routers and their price kept creeping upward.  Ooma is hassle free.

I had Vonage for a couple of years before I switched to Ooma.  Wish I had made the change earlier. Ooma is fantastic. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz, 30 April 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#24 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,268 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

We do.  Need it for DSL cause FioS aint in my hood yet..

#25 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Just a cell phone. Havn't had a landline in about 3 years.

#26 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

After dicking around with Verizon for over a week, they finally have my landline working again(was a problem with the wire coming out of the ground as it goes into the basement(probably because I hit it with the weedwacker one too many times :ph34r: ).  They suck as a utility company, and now is as good a time as any to cancel service, and save myself the 50+ dollars a month.

#27 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

The last time I had to use a landline, I completely forgot how to do so. I was one of the first people I know to go completely wireless.  My nearly senior citizen parents dropped their landline at least 5 years ago.

#28 Spun

Spun

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I keep the landline for a variety of reasons.  Smart phones have their flexibility but the constant need to charge is annoying.  The sound quality can get frustratingly bad.  The neighbors carrying on with calls in the back alley to get better reception is bothersome to many of us. I also maintain an "A" list and a "B" list whereby not everybody gets access to my cell.  Some friends constantly call to b.s. and for the most part, I don't have the time nor patience for such calls so they get the landline # (the "B" list treatment).  I have my landline set up so there is no ringing.  Either I hear a voice from the antique voice machine and pickup if I wish or I retrieve the message later.  Everybody gets the message machine - tough if they don't like it.  I am not a big phone person.  E-mail is a Godsend.  Contact (bother) me by e-mail and I will or will not reply when I feel like it!  When I do make longer calls to family and friends, the landline is preferable.  I am on the "do not call" list which has helped the clutter I use to get on the landline.  All credit card companies have a standing order not to telemarket me.  The only group who cannot comprehend the numerous requests (10-15?) not to bother me at home is the American Red Cross - it has unfortunately cost them in less donations.  Also, a few years ago we had a major blackout in the southwest.  The blackout lasted about eight hours.  Traffic signals were down and businesses had to close.  Cell phone service was limited because people had no way to charge their phones.  I laughed while listening to the neighbors go through withdrawal.  For those who need instantaneous access most anywhere and anytime, especially for business, the cell phone is ideal.  I just don't need the leash.