204 replies to this topic

#1 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,452 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

“It’s not about the playoffs. It’s about the Stanley Cup,” said Regier at his postseason press conference on Monday.

The premise of Darcy's words is that the restructure/rebuild/reformation of the roster is one that might not compete for a playoff spot in the short run, but is retooling to win Stanley Cups in the long run.

In other words, short term losing = Suffering, and losing players we might like, to reform a roster that is better prepared for deep runs toward a Stanley Cup.

So the question is: Do you believe the premise? Do you think that short term suffering might be in the long term interest of the club?

This isn't necessarily a question about Regier's competency, it is a question of whether or not you think what he is saying is true. Regardless of the GM.

Are you prepared for short-term suffering (a losing season? two losing seasons?) for a Stanley Cup?

Do you accept Darcy's premise?  Are you ready to accept it? Is the fan base?

(this isn't about Darcy per se....we've seen plenty of that, it is about whether what he is saying is true.)

Edited by X. Benedict, 30 April 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#2 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

I accept the premise. It is necessary and some have been calling for it for a while.
I think the issue for the fans is simply with an (unwarranted) sense that Terry somehow betrayed them because Hockey Heaven isn't here yet and (warranted) concern that it is Darcy implementing the plan.

#3 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

I do not believe that short term suffering is necessary to turn a team into a Cup contender, and I point to the Montreal Canadiens as an example.

It is, however, the strategy that the Sabres have adopted; this team will not be competitive for a few years.

So I have a choice of either spending thousands of dollars for two or three years to watch AHL talent, or lose my place in line for when they are good again.  They could ice a competitive, fun-to-watch team next year.  They have chosen a different path.

This is incredibly frustrating.

#4 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Assuming 'short term suffering' is scary when it comes from a GM. We haven't even drafted yet, and the assumption is, "wow, this is gonna hurt".

This wreaks of throwing sh!t against the wall to see what sticks. I've never in my life seen such leniancy given to one man.

I honestly do not understand what is going on anymore with this team.

#5 FGD59

FGD59

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

The problem is the person leading the rebuild is the primary creator of the problem.  Remember when Tom Donahoe and Gregg Williams oversaw the strip down of the Bills? They blew it.  They were incapable of identifying enough talent to truly turn it around. The reason people keep crying about Briere and Dury is no one has come close to replacing them.  Moreover I have no faith in Pegula or Black to identify and acquire a good replacement. I mean when it comes to Hockey who do Terry and Ted have relationships with?  How can they honestly think Darcy is irreplaceable?  Looks like Terry is so blindsided by how bad they are and the attendant crititcism that his response is a highly emotional one when what is required is a rational assessment of how much talent they lack.  You can bet whenever Darcy goes the replacement will be internal and I agree 100% that Ralston will be retained. And you know what who cares? A young guy with a good profile and pedigree would be crazy to come to Buffalo and work for Darcy.

+1 Eleven.  Pay to watch trash or lose your place in line, what a great freaking choice!

#6 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I do agree with the premise, but as others have stated I have major reservations on those who would be directing and carrying out the process.  We shall see.

I've waited 41 years already, so what's a few more?

#7 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostEleven, on 30 April 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I do not believe that short term suffering is necessary to turn a team into a Cup contender, and I point to the Montreal Canadiens as an example.

It is, however, the strategy that the Sabres have adopted; this team will not be competitive for a few years.

So I have a choice of either spending thousands of dollars for two or three years to watch AHL talent, or lose my place in line for when they are good again.  They could ice a competitive, fun-to-watch team next year.  They have chosen a different path.

This is incredibly frustrating.

It's tough to walk away....but I'm clean and sober on the ticket front for going on 6 years now.

I used to have Club seats for the Bills, knowing that if they ever made it to the SuperBowl you pretty much are a slam dunk to get tickets. After a while when the seats starting breaking, and I figured out it was pretty much costing me $1500 a year for an extra hour of alcohol, a dessert cart, and a 50-1 shot of seeing a SuperBowl, I just kept my regular seats. You can pony up the $3K for tickets from all your savings.

It stinks....you want to have fun and enjoy and be part of it. When you have zero faith in the person who ices the players......it's tough to make that commitment. WHich gets to X's point......valid theory....never going to happen with current GM. Maybe we can win a Calder Cup in 5 years......that's the upside.

#8 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Darcy suggested that what he's proposing is not the standard around the league. That he'd be setting a new standard here. Is everyone else wrong? There's a high-mindedness to it that borders on arrogance. Terry doesn't just want to make the playoffs and try to catch lightning in a bottle, he wants elite teams that are built for winning multiple Cups (Ted's "championship machine"). How practical is that in a salary cap era in Buffalo, NY? I laughed when Darcy said other owners are happy with making the playoffs and pleasing their fans. But they're not like that. Probably because they can't figure out how to do it. Oy. Double oy.

Good topic, X.

#9 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

My feelings on Darcy have always been summed up in a quote from Gangs of New York ...

I know your works. You are neither cold nor hot. So because you are lukewarm, I will spew you out of my mouth.

Lukewarm keeps you just good enough to be in contention for a playoff spot without risking falling to the cellar.  Perhaps, now, we will see that change.  It seems clear that we will head to the cellar ... for how long, nobody knows ... but the question remains whether Darcy will know how to get out of it with the pieces necessary to be a consistent Cup contender.

#10 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think part of what he's saying is that they tried to just add a piece here and a piece there.  What became of the team was a mess of similar talent not blended together correctly.  By trying to just make the playoffs by adding pieces, some that worked some that didn't, the team was never great.

IMO he's looking at year 2 or 3 for the team to come together maybe sooner if other teams cooperate. lol

Start with the new core group.  Get players that are around the same age to grow together, add some veterans in year two and be competing for a Cup in year three.

#11 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Even if it is the truth, why, why, why would you go in front of a microphone and actually tell your fan base that your team is going to be bad for a while??  My God, do they have no marketing people in that organization?  This is just horrible public relations. Add to that the timing of the ticket price hike announcement. Could that have not waited until a decision is made on the head coach?  AND, if you have not decided whether to make Rolston permanent, why hold the press conference at all right now?  You make up your mind about the coach, make that known and then break the news about the ticket price hike.
If these guys can't even engineer a strategy to minimize the negative impact of this lousy season, how can anyone have any faith that they can put together a playoff team, let alone a Cup contender? It is truly mind-boggling.

#12 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postdudacek, on 30 April 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

I accept the premise. It is necessary and some have been calling for it for a while.
I think the issue for the fans is simply with an (unwarranted) sense that Terry somehow betrayed them because Hockey Heaven isn't here yet and (warranted) concern that it is Darcy implementing the plan.

It is not necessary, see the Hurricaines, Bruins and Red Wings as the three other teams to win a Cup post lock out. It worked for the Penguins and Black Hawks but the continued insinuation that that is all they did to win is just another chapter in the Darcy Book Of Excuses. Wish someone should ask him if all you need to do is bottom out, why do you need a general manager at all?

#13 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostSabre Dance, on 30 April 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

A Even if it is the truth, why, why, why would you go in front of a microphone and actually tell your fan base that your team is going to be bad for a while??  My God, do they have no marketing people in that organization?  This is just horrible public relations. Add to that the timing of the ticket price hike announcement. B Could that have not waited until a decision is made on the head coach?  AND, if you have not decided whether to make Rolston permanent, why hold the press conference at all right now?  You make up your mind about the coach, make that known and then break the news about the ticket price hike.

A: if they didn't, the fans and their anointed crusaders at the Buffalo News would claim they were clueless about how bad the team was going to be. (Note "anointed crusaders" is dripping with sarcasm)

B: Maybe they have their eye on a coach that isn't done coaching yet (NHL or AHL). In any case, our friends in the media flipped out last year when there wasn't a press conference, so they'd surely flip out again if there was a delay. They'd probably crib ideas from posters here that there's a vast conspiracy going on in the Sabres FO and scream bloody murder.

#14 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 30 April 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

I think part of what he's saying is that they tried to just add a piece here and a piece there.  What became of the team was a mess of similar talent not blended together correctly.  By trying to just make the playoffs by adding pieces, some that worked some that didn't, the team was never great.

IMO he's looking at year 2 or 3 for the team to come together maybe sooner if other teams cooperate. lol

Start with the new core group.  Get players that are around the same age to grow together, add some veterans in year two and be competing for a Cup in year three.

And the architect of plan A is the architect of plan B. Gotta love it.

#15 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostSabre Dance, on 30 April 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Even if it is the truth, why, why, why would you go in front of a microphone and actually tell your fan base that your team is going to be bad for a while??  My God, do they have no marketing people in that organization?  This is just horrible public relations. Add to that the timing of the ticket price hike announcement. Could that have not waited until a decision is made on the head coach?  AND, if you have not decided whether to make Rolston permanent, why hold the press conference at all right now?  You make up your mind about the coach, make that known and then break the news about the ticket price hike.
If these guys can't even engineer a strategy to minimize the negative impact of this lousy season, how can anyone have any faith that they can put together a playoff team, let alone a Cup contender? It is truly mind-boggling.

Because if he plans to make it short term, by giving everybody the impression that it will be long term will make everybody happy when things go quicker than anticipated. If he never mentioned suffering, everybody will be on his ass after they don't make the playoffs again next year. Giving the impression of a worst case scenario makes things easier on everybody.

View PostMattPie, on 30 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

A: if they didn't, the fans and their anointed crusaders at the Buffalo News would claim they were clueless about how bad the team was going to be. (Note "anointed crusaders" is dripping with sarcasm)

B: Maybe they have their eye on a coach that isn't done coaching yet (NHL or AHL). In any case, our friends in the media flipped out last year when there wasn't a press conference, so they'd surely flip out again if there was a delay. They'd probably crib ideas from posters here that there's a vast conspiracy going on in the Sabres FO and scream bloody murder.

And obviously I responded before reading the entire thread first. ;)

#16 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 30 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I do agree with the premise, but as others have stated I have major reservations on those who would be directing and carrying out the process.  We shall see.

I've waited 41 years already, so what's a few more?

Well, it's a few more.  We already lost one play-by-play announcer waiting for the Sabres to win a Cup; I doubt RJ will want to hang around for another 3 years waiting for the team to make a run.  How about my mom who, at age 90, is a bigger Sabres fan than I am?  I want Ted Black and Darcy Regier to look her in the face and tell her she needs to wait just a few more seasons.  Suffering?  What does Darcy think we've been doing for all these years?  (Especially since much of the suffering came from his incapable hands).
The attitude of this organization pi$$es me off.  They keep feeding us gruel and telling us we should get used to it for a while longer, but filet mignon is on the horizon. Meanwhile, we're still eating gruel. Gruel makes me puke and so does this management team.

#17 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View Posttom webster, on 30 April 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Don't love it.  Suffer it.

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Posttom webster, on 30 April 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Even after said architect has brazenly admitted so many mistakes in recent months: not building "the right way" like the Wild have been; adding free agents to a team that wasn't ready to contend in 2011; apparently, now, the big contract for Myers; and even recently saying there has been TOO MUCH turnover in the roster of late. He got a clean slate from Pegula, but all of this is post-Pegula. How is the man still employed? Maybe the answer will come out at trial. :)

#19 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#20 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 30 April 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Damned if you do? Can even the apologist side admit that a new General Manager might be better? I have said it before, I like reading your stuff and some of it I even agree with. The frustrating thing to me is that there really is "common ground" but everyone is so afraid to admit it that we have to stake out polar opposite positions.

#21 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Posttom webster, on 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Damned if you do? Can even the apologist side admit that a new General Manager might be better? I have said it before, I like reading your stuff and some of it I even agree with. The frustrating thing to me is that there really is "common ground" but everyone is so afraid to admit it that we have to stake out polar opposite positions.

No GM willing to ice the team that took the ice this year should be trusted with a rebuild. Not because the team was bad, but because the team couldn't grow. Your offensive talent can't develop with possession like this roster had, and several mediocre hockey minds on this site could see it coming all year. Grigorenko, Foligno, Ennis, Myers, Weber all lost a potential 48 games of positive development because the team around them was in panic mode all game long. The only player that got a good workout was Hodgson, and that because he lined up with players that are ranked 3rd in their respective draft classes in points. It's not that he's not capable of fielding a winner, it's that he's capable of pissing away a year with a team that isn't good enough to grow, let alone win.

#22 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 30 April 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

No GM willing to ice the team that took the ice this year should be trusted with a rebuild. Not because the team was bad, but because the team couldn't grow. Your offensive talent can't develop with possession like this roster had, and several mediocre hockey minds on this site could see it coming all year. Grigorenko, Foligno, Ennis, Myers, Weber all lost a potential 48 games of positive development because the team around them was in panic mode all game long. The only player that got a good workout was Hodgson, and that because he lined up with players that are ranked 3rd in their respective draft classes in points. It's not that he's not capable of fielding a winner, it's that he's capable of pissing away a year with a team that isn't good enough to grow, let alone win.

And because there was one center.  Oh, and because the team was bad.

#23 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostEleven, on 30 April 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

And because there was one center.  Oh, and because the team was bad.

The team was bad can be chaulked up to rebuilding. The "team doesn't get to touch the puck so we might as well not be playing this year" is dangerous. We lost half a year of development because of the one center thing. and there were centers available.

#24 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Posttom webster, on 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Some are upset that Darcy is telling people up front that it might be a long process. Others are upset that the team wasn't completely blown up. Seems to me there is nothing he can do to make anybody happy.

Can you honestly hold Darcy completely accountable for what happened pre-Pegula? When has Darcy ever had the chance to rebuild a team WHILE having the means available to do whatever he wants? Hindsighters love to criticize him for not blowing it up sooner, but anybody including GM's would have added pieces to the team the year Pegula took over. And even last year. I can't say a new GM would be better because I don't know that it wouldn't be worse. And neither does anybody else. However, it's bound to be better because a new GM would be given the opportunity that Darcy has never gotten. The biggest reason I want Darcy gone is because until he is all we're going to hear is non-stop whining about him regardless of what happens and to be honest it's gotten quite old. Between 'Darcy sucks' and 'Well we won another game to ruin our draft chances' this place got awfully monotonous over the last two months.

I agree with you. People feeling the need to take completely opposing views has really watered down civilized dialogue. Seems to me it's gotten to the point where people think their voice isn't heard unless it is conflicting.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 30 April 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

I've got news for you, no developing players on a rebuilding team is going to be introduced to a positive atmosphere. If said team was winning, there wouldn't be a reason for a rebuild. The best players in the draft are often exposed to a losing atmosphere.

#25 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 30 April 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

I've got news for you, no developing players on a rebuilding team is going to be introduced to a positive atmosphere. If said team was winning, there wouldn't be a reason for a rebuild. The best players in the draft are often exposed to a losing atmosphere.

I wrote nothing about winning in that post. Winning and "being allowed to touch the puck" are separate things.

well, I wrote about winning, and how that was not what I was talking about.

#26 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 30 April 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

The team was bad can be chaulked up to rebuilding. The "team doesn't get to touch the puck so we might as well not be playing this year" is dangerous. We lost half a year of development because of the one center thing. and there were centers available.

And if we didn't keep that center, this forum would be bitching that we could have made the playoffs had we had that center in the lineup (not knowing it didn't work). Hindsight............................................

Go back to last year, many people were willing to accept being poor this year because of the fact Darcy drafted TWO centers in the first round of the draft which made the future look bright.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 30 April 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

I wrote nothing about winning in that post. Winning and "being allowed to touch the puck" are separate things.

well, I wrote about winning, and how that was not what I was talking about.

You didn't mention winning, I DID. It was a relevant point to contradict what you said.

#27 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 30 April 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Speaking of that.....I eagerly await the follow up on LGR's new conquest with the saucemaker.

#28 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 30 April 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

And if we didn't keep that center, this forum would be bitching that we could have made the playoffs had we had that center in the lineup (not knowing it didn't work). Hindsight............................................

Go back to last year, many people were willing to accept being poor this year because of the fact Darcy drafted TWO centers in the first round of the draft which made the future look bright.

You didn't mention winning, I DID. It was a relevant point to contradict what you said.

Ah, my point was that you don't need to win to develop, but you do need to be allowed occasionally by the opposing team to use the puck.

#29 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have no faith in Darcy and his scouting staff on his rebuild. And I wouldn't have much faith if I was a Calgary Flames fan after Feaster's bonehead moves for the last few years. Two teams that have no clue on what they are doing!

Edited by SabresBillsFan, 30 April 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#30 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 30 April 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

Ah, my point was that you don't need to win to develop, but you do need to be allowed occasionally by the opposing team to use the puck.

Ah OK. I agree with you on that. Didn't make any sense to keep Grig here if he wasn't going to see more than 7 minutes a game. Not sure how much blame Darcy deserves for that though. If I were a GM I would have communicated to my coach that I didn't want to keep him up unless he played. Either way, the coach gets the blame for that.

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 30 April 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

I have no faith in Darcy and his scouting staff on his rebuild. And I wouldn't have much faith if I was a Calgary Flames fan after Feaster's bonehead moves for the last few years. Two teams that have no clue on what they are doing!

What do you have to base that on? Darcy was never given free reign until Pegula came around and he's never been in a position to rebuild a team. What exactly has he done to prove he's not capable?

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 30 April 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#31 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I agree with Darcy's premise in the sense that collecting high quality young players and allowing them to grow is the key to sustained success. Doesn't mean it's the only way to build a Cup winner, but I think it's the best way to remain in contention for an extended period. Sure the Ducks and Canes won, but what have they done since? Largely crashed and burned.

#32 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,185 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 30 April 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Yea Feaster is on a level of suckitude that Darcy has never reached.

#33 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 30 April 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Yea Feaster is on a level of suckitude that Darcy has never reached.

He does have his name on the cup, just sayin'.

#34 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 30 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

What do you have to base that on? Darcy was never given free reign until Pegula came around and he's never been in a position to rebuild a team. What exactly has he done to prove he's not capable?

He started the season with one center.

#35 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 30 April 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I agree with Darcy's premise in the sense that collecting high quality young players and allowing them to grow is the key to sustained success. Doesn't mean it's the only way to build a Cup winner, but I think it's the best way to remain in contention for an extended period. Sure the Ducks and Canes won, but what have they done since? Largely crashed and burned.

I agree.

Look at the teams that have been in contention for a number of years and have won multiple cups over a number of years.

Most have done so through the drafting and development of good players, with some pieces added here and there.

#36 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostEleven, on 30 April 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

zero centers with 100 games of NHL expirience.

#37 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostEleven, on 30 April 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Considering he drafted two fo them, and had at least two others who could play center............... that's your justification for his dismissal? Weren't fans OK that this years team probably wouldn't make the playoffs so we could have two more centers developing for the future without trading half the team for an immediate #1?

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 30 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

This goes for everybody, it's only the fourth time in the last day that I've addressed it with one attempt at a answer.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 30 April 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#38 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hey....remember a little over a year ago when Max Talbot was out there for less than 2 million......Or Getzlaf was on the table for Myers?

Thems were the days.......

#39 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 30 April 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Considering he drafted two fo them, and had at least two others who could play center............... that's your justification for his dismissal? Weren't fans OK that this years team probably wouldn't make the playoffs so we could have two more centers developing for the future without trading half the team for an immediate #1?

This goes for everybody, it's only the fourth time in the last day that I've addressed it with one attempt at a answer.

Would you accept a baseball GM who started a season with only two starting pitchers?

#40 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 30 April 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Hey....remember a little over a year ago when Max Talbot was out there for less than 2 million......Or Getzlaf was on the table for Myers?

Thems were the days.......

Talbot doesn't bring very much to the table. As far as Myers......... there's that pesky hindsight thing again.

View PostEleven, on 30 April 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Would you accept a baseball GM who started a season with only two starting pitchers?

That's like saying would a hockey GM start the season with one goaltender.