36 replies to this topic

#1 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Dear God that was just an awful painful season full of WTF? moments, lackluster play, some of the worst play I have ever seen from this team... just wow.  It was a season that saw us trade Regehr, Pominville, Leo, and I would even include Roy in that.  Jochen Hecht is retiring and going home to Germany.

It seem we have reached the crossroads of the old and the new.  This teams core is gone.  Vanek/Miller are the only 2 that remain.  It seems that Vanek does not want to stay "I've said it before, if it looks like it's a long rebuild, it probably makes the most sense for both parties to move on.  I don't know what the plan is." And it seems that Ryan Miller "My status, it's really up to Darcy and the direction they're going to go. It's definitely signs of a little bit of a shift in the long-term plan, so I don't know. Ultimately, it's not going to be up to me. We'll see." are equally unsure of the future.  Vanek sounds as though he wants out because I would say this will be a bit of waiting period considering how DR likes to build from the draft.

So with the offseason now upon us the first exciting thing will be the draft lottery tonight.  Then we shall have the Draft in June.  FA in July. Training camp in September and then finally get back to hockey in October, the question is what happens in the next 5 months?

#2 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 29 April 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

It seem we have reached the crossroads of the old and the new.  This teams core is gone.  Vanek/Miller are the only 2 that remain.

While his role is a little lower than the rest of that core, I also include Stafford.  In fact, he has served as the poster boy for it in terms of underachieving.

So with the offseason now upon us the first exciting thing will be the draft lottery tonight.

There's a 3.6% chance of this Summer (and possibly rebuild) taking a big turn tonight.

#3 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

View Postcarpandean, on 29 April 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

There's a 3.6% chance of this Summer (and possibly rebuild) taking a big turn tonight.

It's funny. If someone said you have a 3.6% chance of winning the $389 million Powerball, you'd be shitting your pants. You'd be spending that money in your head. Is there anyone here who thinks the Sabres have any chance of winning the lottery tonight?

#4 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,339 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 29 April 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Is there anyone here who thinks the Sabres have any chance of winning the lottery tonight?
Me, but I am  feeling quite delusional today. :)

Edited by LabattBlue, 29 April 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#5 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,987 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

It's funny. If someone said you have a 3.6% chance of winning the $389 million Powerball, you'd be shitting your pants. You'd be spending that money in your head. Is there anyone here who thinks the Sabres have any chance of winning the lottery tonight?

That's nearly a 2 in fifty shot!!

1st - 25.0% - Florida Panthers
2nd - 18.8% - Colorado Avalanche
3rd - 14.2% - Tampa Bay Lightning
4th - 10.7% - Nashville Predators
5th - 8.1% - Carolina Hurricanes
6th - 6.2% - Calgary Flames
7th - 4.7% - Edmonton Oilers
8th - 3.6% - Buffalo Sabres
9th - 2.7% - New Jersey Devils
10th - 2.1% - Dallas Stars
11th - 1.5% - Philadelphia Flyers
12th - 1.1% - Phoenix Coyotes
13th - 0.8% - Winnipeg Jets
14th - 0.5% - Columbus Blue Jackets

An 87.7% chance of staying in the same spot
A 3.6 % chance of picking first
An 8.7 % chance of picking 9th.

Edited by X. Benedict, 29 April 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#6 DGW54321

DGW54321

Welcome back Ted!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'll predict that Nashville wins it tonight.

#7 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,987 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostDGW54321, on 29 April 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'll predict that Nashville wins it tonight.
Edmonton will win. They are proven lottery winners and they've been here before.

#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

With 8.7% odds it is a near certainty that a team behind Buffalo will jump in front, knocking the Sabres down to 9th.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 29 April 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#9 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have the perfect illustration of the season. Thanks to YouTube of course. The giant rat is the season and all the challenges the Sabres will face in the nasty (but deliciously plump) post-lockout world. Just before the 4-second mark, with the cut in the video, we get our first glimpse at the 2012-13 Buffalo Sabres. Homework: what Sabre does the white cat represent, and who's the black kitty?

#10 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 April 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

An 8.7 % chance of picking 9th.

I'm going with this happening.

#11 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm not optimistic at ALL.  As long as Regier's greasy little finger prints are on the team, we go nowhere fast!

View PostPASabreFan, on 29 April 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

I have the perfect illustration of the season. Thanks to YouTube of course. The giant rat is the season and all the challenges the Sabres will face in the nasty (but deliciously plump) post-lockout world. Just before the 4-second mark, with the cut in the video, we get our first glimpse at the 2012-13 Buffalo Sabres. Homework: what Sabre does the white cat represent, and who's the black kitty?

I think the white cat is like Captain Cupcake - luckily we got rid of him.   But unfortunately lots of other dead wood to trim out.

#12 kooshari

kooshari

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 29 April 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Edmonton will win. They are proven lottery winners and they've been here before.
I say Carolina.  They seem to have moments of very good fortune.

#13 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think Tampa Bay wins.

#14 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I believe in miracles.  Buffalo gets the first pick

#15 DGW54321

DGW54321

Welcome back Ted!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postwjag, on 29 April 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

If we get to ask for miracles, I'd rather ask for a Cup!

#16 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

View Postkooshari, on 29 April 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I say Carolina.  They seem to have moments of very good fortune.

View PostVanek-Man, on 29 April 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think Tampa Bay wins.

Everyone post your 2013 NHL Mock Lottery!

I have Nashville!

#17 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

The field.  

What, is that cheating?  Fine.  I'll go with the Avs.

#18 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hate to say it, but Bettman.

#19 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,783 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't believe in miracles, but still pick Buffalo.

#20 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Buffalo won't get it, but dammit, aren't we due for some luck?!

#21 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 29 April 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Buffalo won't get it, but dammit, aren't we due for some luck?!
Pretty sure the City of Buffalo has been saying this since the 1940s.

Edited by Robviously, 29 April 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#22 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

So Colorado got it

#23 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

View Postwjag, on 29 April 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

So Colorado got it

Yup. And they pick Seth Jones.

Florida is on the clock...

#24 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Would have been more fun if they had actual ping pong balls in a machine, and were picking the entire order from it.

#25 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 30 April 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Would have been more fun if they had actual ping pong balls in a machine, and were picking the entire order from it.

It seemed a little ahem cough, fixed the way it was done. It was just all so convenient the way it worked out. I'd have liked to see the whole process.

Edited by bunomatic, 30 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#26 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 30 April 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

It seemed a little ahem cough, fixed the way it was done. It was just all so convenient the way it worked out. I'd have liked to see the whole process.

The way that they did it, it wasnt even worth televising, honestly.

#27 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

Folks not only Vanek and Miller will want out but I would be worried about Ott leaving as well. If he does stay i think it will be because he is buddies with Weber. But he is in his 30's as well and might want to test free agency after next year and have a shot at winning. No player wants to go through a long rebuild. Ted and Darcy are puppets of Terry. I think people need to stop renewing their season seats and when the arena is half empty maybe then and only then Terry might learn something and get real hockey guys running the hockey department. I know the Buffalo News guys came off like idiots today about Terry but this team is in much worse shape since Terry took over. First thing he should have done when he bought the team was fire Regier and Ruff. Hire Lafontaine as team president and some true hockey guys that can run the hockey department.

#28 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 30 April 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Well, they had already picked the team.  They do it beforehand with "auditors" or whatever you want to call them so there's no shenanigans.

#29 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,339 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 30 April 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

I agree.  As one team gets drawn, the rest of their ping pong balls come out of the machine.  Keep drawing until you get to 14.  That being said, the ping pong ball draw would have to be done before hand as their is no way it could get done in 30 minutes.

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

The comments from Craig Button on GR were pretty interesting.  Refreshing to get an outsider's point of view that hasn't suffered or developed bias.  Button was Director of Scouting and then Player Personnel for Minnesota/Dallas from 1992-2000, then GM for Calgary, with whom he is credited with building the '04 SCF team.

Paraphrasing points from him:
  • Young talent is a good thing, but it doesn't win games. Kids try to keep their head above water in the NHL and to ask them to make big contributions to winning in an almost impossible task.
  • Sabres should focus on building the blue line veterancy.  Trying to bring in and develop more than one or two young defensemen at a time is hard- they need veteran leadership back there.
  • If he were to do a rebuild, he would do it around Cody Hodgson and Tyler Myers.
  • With regard to Vanek and Miller: it would be a long, hard road to go without them (to go with a team of all young players).  The team needs players to help the young players.  Edmonton, who went with an all-young rebuild, hasn't made the playoffs in seven years.  Sabres must keep them because it's too hard to replace them.
  • IF they trade Vanek or Miller, they need to do it now/at the draft.  Return at the trade deadline is significantly reduced.  Both players would garner a lot of attention this year as a "top top guy" because the UFA market is weak.
  • In the case of Vanek, he could fetch a good roster player, a very good young prospect, and one or two draft picks.  Compares the trade to the trading of Brent Burns from MIN to SJ for Setoguchi, Coyle, and a 1st rounder, except "Vanek is better than Burns."
  • On Grigorenko: he wasn't ready this year.  Still has lots of upside and could fit well with us.
  • On draft target at #8: very deep draft this year, much like 2003 (great players through rounds one and two).  Lots of options at a lot of different positions. Mentions C Valeri Nichushkin (who "shouldn't be there at 8 because of his talent, but because of the 'Russian issue' he will be") and a few others.  Also mentions Zach Fucale is an elite prospect at G, but #8 is a reach.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 02 May 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#31 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 May 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

The comments from Craig Button on GR were pretty interesting.  Refreshing to get an outsider's point of view that hasn't suffered or developed bias.  Button was Director of Scouting and then Player Personnel for Minnesota/Dallas from 1992-2000, then GM for Calgary, with whom he is credited with building the '04 SCF team.

• Young talent is a good thing, but it doesn't win games. Kids try to keep their head above water in the NHL and to ask them to make big contributions to winning in an almost impossible task.
  • Sabres should focus on building the blue line veterancy.  Trying to bring in and develop more than one or two young defensemen at a time is hard- they need veteran leadership back there.
  • If he were to do a rebuild, he would do it around Cody Hodgson and Tyler Myers.
  • With regard to Vanek and Miller: it would be a long, hard road to go without them (to go with a team of all young players).  The team needs players to help the young players.  Edmonton, who went with an all-young rebuild, hasn't made the playoffs in seven years.  Sabres must keep them because it's too hard to replace them.
  • IF they trade Vanek or Miller, they need to do it now/at the draft.  Return at the trade deadline is significantly reduced.  Both players would garner a lot of attention this year as a "top top guy" because the UFA market is weak.
  • In the case of Vanek, he could fetch a good roster player, a very good young prospect, and one or two draft picks.  Compares the trade to the trading of Brent Burns from MIN to SJ for Setoguchi, Coyle, and a 1st rounder, except "Vanek is better than Burns."
  • On Grigorenko: he wasn't ready this year.  Still has lots of upside and could fit well with us.
  • On draft target at #8: very deep draft this year, much like 2003 (great players through rounds one and two).  Lots of options at a lot of different positions. Mentions C Valeri Nichushkin (who "shouldn't be there at 8 because of his talent, but because of the 'Russian issue' he will be") and a few others.  Also mentions Zach Fucale is an elite prospect at G, but #8 is a reach.

All seems pretty sound.

I will note that for the most part the Sabres do have a veteran defense.  As far as I am concerned, Myers, Sekera, Erhoff, Pardy, and Weber are all vets now.  Pysyk is the lone rookie in the full time top 6.  I am comfortable not adding vets to that squad, except maybe as #7 depth.

#32 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,987 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Postweave, on 02 May 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

All seems pretty sound.

I will note that for the most part the Sabres do have a veteran defense.  As far as I am concerned, Myers, Sekera, Erhoff, Pardy, and Weber are all vets now.  Pysyk is the lone rookie in the full time top 6.  I am comfortable not adding vets to that squad, except maybe as #7 depth.

Myers might be a vet, but he's certainly not a seasoned vet. He hasn't even learned how to manage his body.
Sekera is getting there, but I'm not sure he has what I would call veteran savvy.

Weber a vet? I like Weber, I like that he's stepping up a little. My worry has never been his heart, but whether he's skilled enough.

#33 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I think that's a tough one. Ehrhoff is the only guy in there I'd consider a vet. While the others have been in the league a few years, I think a vet needs to see some success here and there so he knows what a good team looks like and how those leaders acted. I just can't see Myers (for example), at 22 (?) with 3 years under his belt being a vet.

#34 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

All seems pretty sound.

I think he thinks of Myers (256 games played, 23 years old), Weber (174, 25), Pardy (200, 29), Sulzer (106, 28) on the younger side of things with about three seasons' worth of games played.  I still think of Myers as 'young'-ish, but not Sekera.  But when you think about the guys we'll probably want to build around going forward in terms of talent (Ehrhoff, Myers... Sekera? Weber?... Pysyk? Ruhwedel? McNabb? ...McCabe?), only Ehrhoff and Sekera are older than 25.  (not trying to ###### on Sulzer, Pardy, but I've yet to be convinced that they stay for a long time)

#35 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 02 May 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Myers might be a vet, but he's certainly not a seasoned vet. He hasn't even learned how to manage his body.
Sekera is getting there, but I'm not sure he has what I would call veteran savvy.

Weber a vet? I like Weber, I like that he's stepping up a little. My worry has never been his heart, but whether he's skilled enough.

View PostMattPie, on 02 May 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I think that's a tough one. Ehrhoff is the only guy in there I'd consider a vet. While the others have been in the league a few years, I think a vet needs to see some success here and there so he knows what a good team looks like and how those leaders acted. I just can't see Myers (for example), at 22 (?) with 3 years under his belt being a vet.

They have all reached a point in their careers where they should be about plateauing (4ish years).  I'm not calling any of them cagey.  But they have all seen playoffs.  They've all been through the tough games.  Other than Pysyk, there shouldn't be any young player yips in their games anymore.

#36 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 02 May 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

I agree with the bolded point.  There is no reason every single player on the roster has to be young in order for the team to "rebuild" for the future.

The margin between playoff and non-playoff teams is pretty thin so it doesn't take much to make a dramatic improvement year-over-year.  I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on Miller, but proven goal scorers (Vanek) are few and far between in this league.  Getting rid of the only guy on the roster who can consistently put the puck in the net is a big risk IMHO.  If I were in charge, I'd give him the "C" and try to convince him to stick around.

On another note, fixing the league's second worst power play and not leading the league in short-handed goals against is as important as any move that can be made this off-season.  Who was in charge of the power play?  Adams?

#37 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postweave, on 02 May 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

there shouldn't be any young player yips in their games anymore.

Aye, there's the rub.