37 replies to this topic

#1 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Jochen played more than 600 games for the Sanres, so i think he earned his own thread.

I will miss him, because he was solid in his last season, although the whole team sucked.

I am looking forward to watch him next year in Mannheim.

#2 ParkMeadow

ParkMeadow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Not so fast there, LaLa.  If Darcy is still here, I think there's a good chance Hecht may be brought back!

#3 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostParkMeadow, on 27 April 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

Not so fast there, LaLa.  If Darcy is still here, I think there's a good chance Hecht may be brought back!

Hecht retired

Thank you Jochen, your backhander will be sorely missed

#4 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostParkMeadow, on 27 April 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

He announced his retirement from the NHL already, he's going back to Germany.

And yes, Hecht was a warrior, very good shutdown guy. During his hey days here when D/B were here, I remember him and Grier being the go to guys for the PK as well as leading the checking line for the Sabres.
But what I have missed from Hecht for a long time is the scoring success he achieved while Briere was here. When they were on the same line great things happened.

#5 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I won't blame Hecht for his last contract. I was really hoping to get 1 more year from him. He was probably 1 of our only stable responsible forwards. Thank you Hecht and I hope you always will consider Buffalo a 2nd home.

#6 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hecht was a good solid player here.  He competed and did his job to his abilities.  I do not hold any of his contracts against him.  Who wouldn't accept an offer over the merited pay grade.  Ruff is the one who insisted on playing Hecht as a top six forward, when in reality he never was.  It sucks this guy got a bad rap around Buffalo, because he seemed to be professional on a team that lacks it.

#7 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I will never forget his 2 goal game against the Rangers in game 6 of the 07 playoffs. His second goal was one of the best deflections I have ever seen and I think Brett Hull was on NBC that year and he said pretty much the same.

I hope he wins the Bill Masterton Trophy. Would be well deserved although chances might not be that high. Overall a type of player that will be missed in Buffalo...

#8 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Jochen Hecht Buffalo Stats:
613 Games
138 Goals
207 Assists
+/-, +65

His numbers are not overwhelming but he was solid, a good role guy and someone who deserved a Cup.  Buffalo should remember that.

#9 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I always liked Hecht.  He was a solid 3rd line forward who was defensively responsible, could fill in when needed on the top 6, and was a good penalty killer.

#10 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,411 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostPeppy22, on 27 April 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I will never forget his 2 goal game against the Rangers in game 6 of the 07 playoffs. His second goal was one of the best deflections I have ever seen and I think Brett Hull was on NBC that year and he said pretty much the same.

I hope he wins the Bill Masterton Trophy. Would be well deserved although chances might not be that high. Overall a type of player that will be missed in Buffalo...

There's no way anyone other than Josh Harding wins the Masterton this year.

Hecht was undervalued by many fans and (at one point) overpaid by the team.  He was a stalwart forward who could dictate the tempo of a game.  Every good team needs a player like him.

Edited by Eleven, 27 April 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#11 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostEleven, on 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Hecht was undervalued by many fans and (at one point) overpaid by the team.  He was a stalwart forward who could dictate the tempo of a game.  Every good team needs a player like him.

The undervaluing by the fans had a ton to do with the role the team put him in.  Hecht was at his most effective as a 3rd line two way forward, or as an anonymous versatile forward among a talented fleet of three lines.  I really appreciated his ability in those roles.  it's a damned shame he was put in a situation to fail as a top 6 center for a chunk of his time here.  He didn't deserve to be put in a situation to fail.

I am glad he got through the year without head issues.

#12 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,411 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Postweave, on 27 April 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

The undervaluing by the fans had a ton to do with the role the team put him in.  Hecht was at his most effective as a 3rd line two way forward, or as an anonymous versatile forward among a talented fleet of three lines.  I really appreciated his ability in those roles.  it's a damned shame he was put in a situation to fail as a top 6 center for a chunk of his time here.  He didn't deserve to be put in a situation to fail.

I am glad he got through the year without head issues.

Very good point.

#13 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostEleven, on 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

agreed. thats what I meant with... his chances arent that good :D

#14 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

http://video.sabres....bed-share-video

#15 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,131 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I said it in the GDT but I'll say it again here. The guy was all effort even though he was often asked to do more than his talent would allow. He played a solid two way game and I hope someday he'll return to the Sabres organization in some official capacity. Perhaps he'd like to be GM? :P

May your T-blades always be sharp.

#16 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Classy hockey player that always worked hard and an integral cog of a once very good hockey team.  I wish him and his family the best as they begin their new chapter in Germany.

#17 ParkMeadow

ParkMeadow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I wasn't aware (before this thread) that he had announced his retirement.
Agree with all of the above - he seemed like a good teammate and class act.
Godspeed, JH

#18 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I remember thinking that I didn't want him to risk his health by coming back.  I was glad they brought him back this year at the contract he had it was a solid signing to help the team.  He always played his best and did whatever was asked of him.  Making it through the year with no issues was great.

He's a class act and all the best to him and his family.

#19 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Considering that the trade value thread put Hecht at a return of about a 4th round pick as a rental, I'm glad he was able to finish his career as a Sabre.

#20 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Wondering if he asked the Sabres weeks ago to not trade him, so that he could retire as a Sabre...

#21 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostPeppy22, on 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Wondering if he asked the Sabres weeks ago to not trade him, so that he could retire as a Sabre...

He seemed pretty enthused that his first and last games were played in Buffalo.  I don't think he made any demands, mostly because he's very professional.

#22 rickshaw

rickshaw

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

613 Games
138 Goals
207 Assists
+/-, +65

His numbers are not overwhelming but he was solid, a good role guy and someone who deserved a Cup.  Buffalo should remember that.

Up until a few or more seasons ago the Sabres record with him in the lineup was awful. They always seemed to win when he played in his early portion of his Sabres career. Good honest player.

#23 thewookie1

thewookie1

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I will miss Hecht, he was a scapegoat you deep down knew he didn't deserve. He was always very professional and I wish him luck in Europe.

Only Vanek remains as a D/B era Sabres winger who had an impact.

#24 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

I like Jochen. If only he could have stayed at wing…

#25 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Very versatile and great role player, who always went out and tried his best without complaining.

Will likely always be undervalued by Sabres fans because he was handed a contract that was beyond his skill level.

Best of luck Jochen, and thanks for the years of respectable service.

#26 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostSwampD, on 27 April 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

I like Jochen. If only he could have stayed at wing…
That Hecht-Briere-Dumont line will always be a great memory from the 2005-06 season.

I admit I was done with him a few weeks ago and wondered why he was still on the team...now I know. Thanks, Jochen.

#27 Nitro60

Nitro60

"In case of doubt, attack." General Patton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hecht played a quiet career.  He did what as asked of him.  Never complained in the press,  I liked his style of defense on opposing forwards.  Go home and finish up your hockey career in your native land Jochen.  You deserve it.  Thanks for good memories and rock solid honest play.

#28 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I talked to him at bed bath and beyond a few years ago. He was really an awesome guy. Best of luck to him and his family.

#29 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Woof

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,131 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

I just want to know if he's a Wienerwald fan....

#30 grinreaper

grinreaper

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 27 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I talked to him at bed bath and beyond a few years ago. He was really an awesome guy. Best of luck to him and his family.

So was there any bedding, bathing or beyond going on? I say this in the most joking manner, but damn that was too much of a t-ball set up.

#31 Loyalty

Loyalty

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

I never got too negative on Hecht this season despite his struggles. I felt it was the Sabres fault for overestimating this roster and thinking this was a playoff potential team. If they felt this team could of made the playoffs, it did make sense to bring in Hecht. Has familiarity with most teammates, has familiarity with Lindy Ruff, had been playing live ice hockey in Germany and doing well, and played on a line with Pominville. Not many on here felt the same way but for some reason, the Sabres did.

#32 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 28 April 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

I never got too negative on Hecht this season despite his struggles. I felt it was the Sabres fault for overestimating this roster and thinking this was a playoff potential team. If they felt this team could of made the playoffs, it did make sense to bring in Hecht. Has familiarity with most teammates, has familiarity with Lindy Ruff, had been playing live ice hockey in Germany and doing well, and played on a line with Pominville. Not many on here felt the same way but for some reason, the Sabres did.

Agreed and when healthy he and Kaleta were the Sabres two best penalty killers.  He had a tough time scoring anything but dirty goals, but hustled played the body when healthy was always a great teamate.  He really was no more than a third line checking center/winger that had to play at higher levels because of the Sabres lack of center talent.  Much better than Goose IMO but typical of Buffalo's lack of talent on the top end.  He got blamed for front office ineptitude...

#33 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 27 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I have to admit that I stopped reading once I got to the word bed.

View Postgrinreaper, on 27 April 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

So was there any bedding, bathing or beyond going on? I say this in the most joking manner, but damn that was too much of a t-ball set up.

:flirt:

#34 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostPeppy22, on 27 April 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I already have.

#35 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,105 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 27 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

613 Games
138 Goals
207 Assists
+/-, +65

138 goals.....all but 8 were from crazy angles.
Smart player.

Nice career, Yo-yo. Good luck in Germany.

#36 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

I was hoping to get one more year out of him. A class act, most of the team could learn something from him about being a consistent player. Best of luck to him.

#37 Loyalty

Loyalty

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 28 April 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

I was hoping to get one more year out of him. A class act, most of the team could learn something from him about being a consistent player. Best of luck to him.

Even for a rebuilding franchise, I think we need to aim for higher standards.

#38 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hecht now officially signed a contract with Mannheim until the end of the 2015 season.