Jump to content


winning at the wrong time


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 krt88

krt88

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

OK, yeah the season is over and thanks to our smart team we won 8 of our last 12 games and gained 16 points in the standings.  Now we can pick 9th in the draft, maybe 8th if Phily wins their last game.

Take away half of those pointless wins and we are sitting on 40 points and tied for 3rd draft pick and with luck we could have ended up 2nd from the bottom thus a guarantee of a top 3 pick.

What was the point of winning games when the season was lost?  I understand the players point-of-view, but for the sake of the franchise winning in April was not in the teams best interest.  However, that's Buffalo, both major sports team suck but they don't suck correctly and never get the rewards of being bad!  A top 3 pick would have really helped this team but we never do that.  

It's frustrating being a fan of Buffalo sports teams because then always find a way of screwing things up!

Edited by krt88, 27 April 2013 - 06:55 AM.


#2 Icehole

Icehole

    When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

While I agree, the Sabres have been doing this the last few years and it is infuriating.  Still this topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

#3 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postkrt88, on 27 April 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

OK, yeah the season is over and thanks to our smart team we won 8 of our last 12 games and gained 16 points in the standings.  Now we can pick 9th in the draft, maybe 8th if Phily wins their last game.

Take away half of those pointless wins and we are sitting on 40 points and tied for 3rd draft pick and with luck we could have ended up 2nd from the bottom thus a guarantee of a top 3 pick.

What was the point of winning games when the season was lost? I understand the players point-of-view, but for the sake of the franchise winning in April was not in the teams best interest.  However, that's Buffalo, both major sports team suck but they don't suck correctly and never get the rewards of being bad!  A top 3 pick would have really helped this team but we never do that.  

It's frustrating being a fan of Buffalo sports teams because then always find a way of screwing things up!

So if you admit the players wouldn't lose on purpose, what more should the franchise have done?  They jettisoned a few players and the remaining guys played hard.

#4 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Winning out in the second half of a season, even this shortened one, has been the signature of this team for a number of years now.
Nothing has changed as of yet about this club, it's a signature Darcy Regier team post july 7th, 2007.
Start slow and finish strong.

Does it decrease the available talent brought to the roster via the draft?
Of course it does, but hey, at least Regier gets to keep his job :cry:

#5 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 27 April 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Winning out in the second half of a season, even this shortened one, has been the signature of this team for a number of years now.
Nothing has changed as of yet about this club, it's a signature Darcy Regier team post july 7th, 2007.
Start slow and finish strong.

Does it decrease the available talent brought to the roster via the draft?
Of course it does, but hey, at least Regier gets to keep his job :cry:

The slow start and strong finish has been a team trademark since 2002, the 05-07 era was an anomoly, if ever there was one.

#6 WildCard

WildCard

    April 6th, 2015.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:lost in a supermarket

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 27 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

While I agree, the Sabres have been doing this the last few years and it is infuriating. Still this topic has been beaten to death in other threads.
Agreed, there's no sense in complaining about this. It sucks we're not the Colts of the NHL, poised to steal a franchise difference-maker after tanking a season, but being constantly reminded of it's just as frustrating.

Edited by WildCard, 29 April 2013 - 01:15 PM.


#7 nobody

nobody

    Title? Someday...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:nowhere

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo, on 27 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

While I agree, the Sabres have been doing this the last few years and it is infuriating.  Still this topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

View PostWildCard, on 27 April 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Agreed, there's no sense in complaining about this. It sucks we're of the Colts of the NHL, poised to steal a franchise difference-maker after tanking a season, but being constantly reminded of it's just as frustrating.

But see - just like the Sabres; we infuriate and frustrate each other each season creating these threads about how the Sabres frustrate and infuriate us with their end of season fight for 9th place.

#8 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postnobody, on 27 April 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

But see - just like the Sabres; we infuriate and frustrate each other each season creating these threads about how the Sabres frustrate and infuriate us with their end of season fight for 9th place.
What's really frustrating is missing the playoffs for the 7th time in the last 11 seasons with little hope of preventing it from being 8 out of 12 or 9 out of 13.

#9 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

    Poop Flavored Lollypop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanking it Old School

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I will not fault this team for fighting, ever.  Would we be better in the future if they lost, probably. But any team that doesn't fight at home on fan appreciation is a joke.

#10 Who Else?

Who Else?

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Erie, PA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

It's the draft system that is ridiculous.  I don't understand why there is a need for a "lottery".  To me the solution is simple the 17th placed team gets the first pick.  The 18th picks second and so on.  All tie breakers for the playoffs are the same for 18th through 30th.  Then if Florida wants to tank the season so be it. they can pick 14th.

#11 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

What's really frustrating is missing the playoffs for the 7th time in the last 11 seasons with little hope of preventing it from being 8 out of 12 or 9 out of 13.

E-mail this to Mr. Pegula. This is the most telling stat of all yet Pegula/Saywer/Black would have us all believe Regier is some kind of a genius when in actuality he is incompetent and should have been shitcanned years ago based on results. Now they've allowed Regier to lower the standards and expectations once again by creating the need for a total rebuild thus ensuring his survival for another day. When is this franchise going to put a fisherman on its jerseys ?

#12 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

E-mail this to Mr. Pegula. This is the most telling stat of all yet Pegula/Saywer/Black would have us all believe Regier is some kind of a genius when in actuality he is incompetent and should have been shitcanned years ago based on results. Now they've allowed Regier to lower the standards and expectations once again by creating the need for a total rebuild thus ensuring his survival for another day. When is this franchise going to put a fisherman on its jerseys ?
All Pegula needs to know is that he is 0 for 2 as far as playoff appearance go. He has a team with zero identity and very little connection with it's fan base. He is owner of a team that gets booed at home regularly. This season has been as ugly as a season as I can remember. The closest I can compare it to is the Bills season where Donahue had signs taken away from fans and they ended up hiring Marv Levy. If this team comes back next season with Regier it may get even uglier.

#13 Derrico

Derrico

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greater Toronto Area

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

All Pegula needs to know is that he is 0 for 2 as far as playoff appearance go. He has a team with zero identity and very little connection with it's fan base. He is owner of a team that gets booed at home regularly. This season has been as ugly as a season as I can remember. The closest I can compare it to is the Bills season where Donahue had signs taken away from fans and they ended up hiring Marv Levy. If this team comes back next season with Regier it may get even uglier.

As I've mentioned before, I had a sign taken away from me at one of the home games.  No profanity or anything really offensive.  Anyways, I really hope there are some serious changes this offseason because as you have pointed out the fanbase has grown very disinterested with this group of players.  As per usual, they go on a late win streak and mess up any chance they had to draft a real difference maker.

#14 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Germany

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostWho Else?, on 27 April 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

It's the draft system that is ridiculous.  I don't understand why there is a need for a "lottery".  To me the solution is simple the 17th placed team gets the first pick.  The 18th picks second and so on.  All tie breakers for the playoffs are the same for 18th through 30th.  Then if Florida wants to tank the season so be it. they can pick 14th.

I understand your system, but really bad teams need support.

I would like a lottery of all of the first 14 picks.

Maybe with increased chances for bad teams, but there should not be a guarantee for tankers.

#15 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

All Pegula needs to know is that he is 0 for 2 as far as playoff appearance go. He has a team with zero identity and very little connection with it's fan base. He is owner of a team that gets booed at home regularly. This season has been as ugly as a season as I can remember. The closest I can compare it to is the Bills season where Donahue had signs taken away from fans and they ended up hiring Marv Levy. If this team comes back next season with Regier it may get even uglier.

Tecnically, he is 1 for 3 .......... :P

#16 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I said this for the last couple of years already. They keep winning meaningless games in the last month and affect their position. Instead of getting an elite player they get a decent one. But with this team it doesn't matter because the blame will be on Darcy because of the player they select. I still think the scouting department in general has to do a better job in determining what players can play at the NHL level and help this team get back to the playoffs. To me they have done a mediocre job. Not enough skilled players.

#17 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

    #39 - Greatest of All-Time.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 27 April 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Tecnically, he is 1 for 3 .......... :P
He gets credit for the save, not the win.

#18 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,889 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Who exactly are we arguing with here?

#19 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 27 April 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Who exactly are we arguing with here?

Logic? I think?

#20 MattPie

MattPie

    Bikes beat tanks

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Strafing some corners

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostWho Else?, on 27 April 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

It's the draft system that is ridiculous.  I don't understand why there is a need for a "lottery".  To me the solution is simple the 17th placed team gets the first pick.  The 18th picks second and so on.  All tie breakers for the playoffs are the same for 18th through 30th.  Then if Florida wants to tank the season so be it. they can pick 14th.

Why break it into playoff and non-playoff? Just draft in the order that teams finish the season. Stanley Cup winner gets first pick, runner-up second, and so on. That'll really teach the tankers.

#21 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostMattPie, on 29 April 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

Why break it into playoff and non-playoff? Just draft in the order that teams finish the season. Stanley Cup winner gets first pick, runner-up second, and so on. That'll really teach the tankers.

Have a tournament among the teams that don't qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the winner earning the number 1 pick overall.

#22 MattPie

MattPie

    Bikes beat tanks

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Strafing some corners

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 29 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Have a tournament among the teams that don't qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the winner earning the number 1 pick overall.

This was discussed in the other thread at length. Same result: one of the teams that just missed the playoffs probably wins it, so you end up giving the No 1 pick to the 10-14th-ish worst team, and most likely the 10-14th pick to the worst team. The point of just about every draft is to give bad teams shots at the best players.

#23 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boca Raton, FL

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

There is no wrong time to win.

#24 nucci

nucci

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wilmington, DE

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Did you expect some of the younger players who are playing for jobs next year to give up? Have you ever played competitive sports and just lose on purpose?

#25 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

View Postnucci, on 29 April 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Did you expect some of the younger players who are playing for jobs next year to give up? Have you ever played competitive sports and just lose on purpose?

Chicago Black Sox.