580 replies to this topic

#1 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Per Sabres.com, Terry Pegula and Darcy Regier will hold a end of the season press conference on Monday at 1pm.

Couple things that come to mind-

-Glad we will finally hear from Pegula. Ed Kilgore said a month or so ago, the reason he's silent was because he knows talk is cheap and theres nothing he can say during the season that would change anything. All true, but glad he's gonna talk now that the season is over, since last year they had no conference after the season.

-If Regier is gonna be there, which Sabres web site says he is, to me it means he's staying. If he was on the way out, that decision was already made weeks/days ago among the inner circle of the Sabres brass. I knew it was a long shot to get rid of Darcy, but he's our GM going forward.

#2 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

Sorry, i misread that, it's Ted Black and Darcy. Guess still no Terry.

#3 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Darcy's going to announce the firing.  It's a symbolic gesture.

#4 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,855 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 27 April 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Darcy's going to announce the firing.  It's a symbolic gesture.

Of Terry?

#5 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 27 April 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

Per Sabres.com, Terry Pegula and Darcy Regier will hold a end of the season press conference on Monday at 1pm.

Couple things that come to mind-

-Glad we will finally hear from Pegula. Ed Kilgore said a month or so ago, the reason he's silent was because he knows talk is cheap and theres nothing he can say during the season that would change anything. All true, but glad he's gonna talk now that the season is over, since last year they had no conference after the season.

-If Regier is gonna be there, which Sabres web site says he is, to me it means he's staying. If he was on the way out, that decision was already made weeks/days ago among the inner circle of the Sabres brass. I knew it was a long shot to get rid of Darcy, but he's our GM going forward.
"Going forward" may be a bad choice of words if Regier is indeed remaining as General Manager. It's a bad sign for next season and the immediate future of the Buffalo Sabres.

Pegula not being at the press conference is pretty gutless. He was more than willing to put himself and his family out there when he was the knight in shining armor. A couple of non-playoff seasons and suddenly he can't be bothered.

One question that needs to be asked at this press conference is "exactly how many seasons without qualifying for the playoffs will it take to make a change at GM?" I know Ted Black reads this board, why doesn't he sign on and answer our questions?

#6 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

If Darcy stays on, I will be extremely disappointed in Pegula.  Just because he sent his BFF down the river(or was told to do it or be fired) doesn't mean he knows how to BUILD A TEAM.  He has been clueless in this regard for the last decade, and I see no reason why that is going to change going forward.

If he is still employed after Monday's PC, all I can say is that I am glad I will be out of town the entire week leading up to the draft, and not be home until the Monday after, so I don't have to watch him continue to screw this franchise up.

#7 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Has Black given the press a list of acceptable questions yet ?

Hopefully the media will hammer them with some tough questions. I don't really expect to hear the right answers but I want to see them sweat a little. Both of their jobs shouldn't be comfortable.

#8 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 27 April 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

If Darcy stays on, I will be extremely disappointed in Pegula.  Just because he sent his BFF down the river(or was told to do it or be fired) doesn't mean he knows how to BUILD A TEAM.  He has been clueless in this regard for the last decade, and I see no reason why that is going to change going forward.

Would you be willing to testify to that?

Could be the "bumping up" of Regier announcement.

#9 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Someone please list for me pro sports owners who gave a press conference when they purchased a team.  All of them, right?

Please then list for me owners who give end-of-season press conferences.  On-field interviews after the team wins the World Series don't count.  Very few, right?

On top of that, I really don't believe that Pegula is a guy who enjoys public speaking.  (I think the same of Rolston, as well.)  So why is it a surprise or a failing that he's not giving a press conference?  After all, he's not the guy we want running hockey operations anyway, right?

#10 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 27 April 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Has Black given the press a list of acceptable questions yet ?

Hopefully the media will hammer them with some tough questions. I don't really expect to hear the right answers but I want to see them sweat a little. Both of their jobs shouldn't be comfortable.

There won't be any really tough questions. Given the power Pegula (hell, the Sabres franchise historically) wields in Buffalo, the timidity of that "press corps" and now the idea floating out there that you can get Kiglored if you're lucky, don't expect much. As tough as Bucky can be, he rarely asks a good, pointed question. It will be left to Harrington or Sullivan, with my wild card being Adam Benigni. I just want these questions answered: How much is Terry directly responsible for the state of the team? Did he meddle in Regier's business? Will Terry back off from what Ted Black called "full engagement"?

#11 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think TB and DR are not really going to be there.  Well, they will be, but for just a few seconds ...

... just long enough to hit play on the cassette to replay the end of season presser from the end of last season.  Then they will get out of Dodge, ASAP.

The silence in the press room wil be deafening.

#12 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Why does anyone care what they have to say? I couldn't possibly care less. Show me something. Do something. Talk to me? Whatever.

#13 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 27 April 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Why does anyone care what they have to say? I couldn't possibly care less. Show me something. Do something. Talk to me? Whatever.

That, too.  Although I do think it's very cool that Ted Black takes questions from fans on GR once a week.

#14 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't understand the need to hear the owner in a post-season press conference.  I don't recall the Knox's doing them.  I don't recall Rigas or Golisano doing them either.  So why is this demand being made of Pegula?

#15 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postweave, on 27 April 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I don't understand the need to hear the owner in a post-season press conference.  I don't recall the Knox's doing them.  I don't recall Rigas or Golisano doing them either.  So why is this demand being made of Pegula?
Maybe because he was so willing to put himself out there when things were shiny and new? I'd like to know if he is digging more gas wells to pay for some top six talent?

#16 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Maybe because he was so willing to put himself out there when things were shiny and new? I'd like to know if he is digging more gas wells to pay for some top six talent?

Again, every owner has a press conference when he/she buys a team.  Very few do end-of-season press conferences, and the ones who do are guys like Steinbrenner and Cuban.

Edited by Eleven, 27 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#17 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Wow.  That's quite the entitlement attitude you're growing there.

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Sometimes we look too hard for the answer. Terry says dumb things in public. His handlers know that by now.

#19 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

View Postweave, on 27 April 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Wow.  That's quite the entitlement attitude you're growing there.
Nothing wrong with expecting some accountability from the local sports franchises. Pegula is the one who came out with the "gas well" comment as well as the "only reason for existence" comment. If these comments are no longer true he should come out and say so.

View PostPASabreFan, on 27 April 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Sometimes we look too hard for the answer. Terry says dumb things in public. His handlers know that by now.
I think we don't like the answers we are given.

#20 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 27 April 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

this feels strange... I find myself agreeing with you

#21 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 27 April 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

this feels strange... I find myself agreeing with you

Like a bout of explosive diarrhea, this too shall pass.

#22 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

So you're saying Terrance will appear?   Is he, or is he not the one we want running Buffalo Sabres Hockey?  

I hope that someone asks him about his involvement at Getty in 1973 while they were nuking West Valley, NY, and "continued  receiving nuclear fuel rods and dumping nuclear waste until 1976 when, after numerous releases to the ground and atmosphere, public concern over contamination led the DEC to withdraw its permit for discharges into Buttermilk Creek."  http://concernedciti..lley.html.��Ask him maybe, if Getty paid to clean up the still radioactive mess that extends as far as Lake Ontario, or if they were paid handsomely to unceremoniously transfer responsibility to citizen tax payers.  See what he says.

Maybe someone could ask him about his involvement at Agway Felmont, in Olean, NY, beginning 1975, where the company operated a fertilizer plant on an oil spill site using asbestos laden factories.  Ask him maybe, why he left in 1983, when in 1982, in Olean, "the EPA PERFORMED AN IMMEDIATE REMOVAL ACTION WHICH ENTAILED MONITORING OF PRIVATE WELLS AND INSTALLATION OF ONE CUBIC FOOT CARBON FILTERS ON 16 PRIVATE WELLS." http://www.epa.gov/s...t/r028505.pdf.

His involvement at East Resources might need a separate thread.  The offseason is young.

#23 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,785 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostI am Marcellus, on 27 April 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

So you're saying Terrance will appear?   Is he, or is he not the one we want running Buffalo Sabres Hockey?  

I hope that someone asks him about his involvement at Getty in 1973 while they were nuking West Valley, NY, and "continued  receiving nuclear fuel rods and dumping nuclear waste until 1976 when, after numerous releases to the ground and atmosphere, public concern over contamination led the DEC to withdraw its permit for discharges into Buttermilk Creek."  http://concernedciti..lley.html.��Ask him maybe, if Getty paid to clean up the still radioactive mess that extends as far as Lake Ontario, or if they were paid handsomely to unceremoniously transfer responsibility to citizen tax payers.  See what he says.

Maybe someone could ask him about his involvement at Agway Felmont, in Olean, NY, beginning 1975, where the company operated a fertilizer plant on an oil spill site using asbestos laden factories.  Ask him maybe, why he left in 1983, when in 1982, in Olean, "the EPA PERFORMED AN IMMEDIATE REMOVAL ACTION WHICH ENTAILED MONITORING OF PRIVATE WELLS AND INSTALLATION OF ONE CUBIC FOOT CARBON FILTERS ON 16 PRIVATE WELLS." http://www.epa.gov/s...t/r028505.pdf.

His involvement at East Resources might need a separate thread.  The offseason is young.

Talk about explosive diarrhea.

#24 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 27 April 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

He needs his handlers.

#25 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 27 April 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Why are you, uh, poo-pooing the information?

#26 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

'Cause her generation is ironic.  Y'know "bad" means good.  "Cool" is something you've warmed up to.

#27 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,785 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Why are you, uh, poo-pooing the information?

You mean the broken links?

#28 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostI am Marcellus, on 27 April 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

'Cause her generation is ironic.  Y'know "bad" means good.  "Cool" is something you've warmed up to.

Ohhhh, I get it. Ryan Miller izzzz da diarrhea!

#29 Yuri Olesha

Yuri Olesha

?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

http://concernedciti...westvalley.html

I do need handlers!

http://www.epa.gov/s...xt/r0285015.pdf

#30 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Should be the announcement of Jochen's retirement.  Should also be blah blah blah disappointing season and yakety yakety we'll be better in the future.

Could possibly be a decision on the future of Ron Rolston, and if he's NOT on the attendance list, let the speculation begin.  I wouldn't imagine he'd be fired before hiring a new coach, and I wouldn't imagine we hire before June (although we could get the jump).

#31 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 27 April 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Should be the announcement of Jochen's retirement.  Should also be blah blah blah disappointing season and yakety yakety we'll be better in the future.

Could possibly be a decision on the future of Ron Rolston, and if he's NOT on the attendance list, let the speculation begin.  I wouldn't imagine he'd be fired before hiring a new coach, and I wouldn't imagine we hire before June (although we could get the jump).

Depends on how quickly Laviolette is fired.

#32 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Here's a better reason for Terry to be there. Darcy said Terry will be the one to decide the degree to which the Sabres retool, rebuild, reboot... so if he wants to be co-GM, then he should face the questions and the music.

#33 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ho-hum.......................  Same shite, different season.

#34 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

So Terry attending the conference:

View PostPASabreFan, on 27 April 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

if he wants to be co-GM, then he should face the questions
###### if he does.

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Pegula not being at the press conference is pretty gutless. He was more than willing to put himself and his family out there when he was the knight in shining armor. A couple of non-playoff seasons and suddenly he can't be bothered.

###### if he doesn't.

You guys need to get on the same page.  I can't fight the war for sanity on two fronts.

#35 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostI am Marcellus, on 27 April 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

This post had me thinking and a quick click and then another confirmed it.

Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends.  Come inside, the show's about to start ...

#36 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 27 April 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Rolston was hired as the INTERIM coach, amiright?  I don't think he needs to be officially fired.  He's done already.

#37 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 27 April 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

So Terry attending the conference:

###### if he does.
[size=4]

###### if he doesn't.

You guys need to get on the same page.  I can't fight the war for sanity on two fronts.

I think you have your hands full as it is.

#38 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 27 April 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I think you have your hands full as it is.
I'm trying to figure out what is "insane" about having the one true catalyst for real changes at a press conference after a horrendous season. I understand not wanting Pegula to embarrass himself again. He is however the only reason Regier still has a job, Pegula should come out and explain why not only is Regier still employed by the Sabres but also the mindset behind the ridiculous contract extension.

#39 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'm trying to figure out what is "insane" about having the one true catalyst for real changes at a press conference after a horrendous season. I understand not wanting Pegula to embarrass himself again. He is however the only reason Regier still has a job, Pegula should come out and explain why not only is Regier still employed by the Sabres but also the mindset behind the ridiculous contract extension.
To suggest that if the owner does anything but what you're demanding, he's gutless, that's "insane."

#40 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 27 April 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

To suggest that if the owner does anything but what you're demanding, he's gutless, that's "insane."
I have no doubt at all that if the Sabres were having success Pegula would have continued to place himself front and center.  Going into hiding once things go sour is, IMO, gutless. If that's "insane" then I am glad to be thought of as crazy.