Flynn and Ruhwedel have been a nice surprise!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Who else is impressed with these guys. It seems like since we signed Chad he been solid in his own end and Flynn is a solid two way player. Not top line players but smart players. What are your thoughts?

#2 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Well, we just wasted another season and are currently about as far away from winning the Stanley Cup as we've ever been.

I'm not sure I'm ready to celebrate that we found two more "not top line players."

#3 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

I like Rudy better than Myers.

#4 Jeanbe

Jeanbe

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I think both are solid players.  They ones you need once you get your top 6 (offense) and top two (d) set.  I think Chad has a good chance to be be a top 4.

#5 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

I am withholding all judgement on Chad till at least xmas 2013

#6 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Chad hangs.

#7 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

I think Chad works on the other parts of his game to be successful in the NHL. He is pretty solid positionally.

#8 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Got to see Rudy play tonight in person.  I really liked his game.  The boy hits and anticipates the play very well...I would almost say exceptionally well but I think I need to see him in more games first.  Shame we won't be able to see what he's all about until next season; I would have liked to see him play against some high level talent a few more times.

I like Flynn, too. Not quite as excited about the guy, but he's a step up, talent-wise, from the other guys they had up in the recent past.

But, while I'm not as close to being on suicide watch as Robviously seems to be, I have to agree with what he says to an extent.  It's a bit early to close the book on Rudy, but I would be surprised if he becomes one of a top pair.  I think we're seeing what Flynn can do now; he would obviously be more effective with better talent around him, but he seems like a good third or fourth line center.

Edited by sizzlemeister, 26 April 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#9 Koomkie

Koomkie

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

i like them both. i also am really happy with porter as well. i cannot stand pardy. pardy makes me want to hit myself in the face with a hammer any time he is on the ice. horrible.

go sabres.
going to be an interesting offseason for sure.

#10 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Both players were nice finds by the scouting department. Ruhwedel looked real solid in the short time he was here and just think, not only he was put in a horrid situation, but he never had the ability to go to training camp or work in our system until he played his first game. He may not be a game changer, but as someone said a while ago after he signed, if he can become our "Tanev", that would be a very solid addition.

At first, even though he looked decent in most games he's played, i didn't think Flynn was a NHL player until just recently. He's a raw player. Also a player who obviously wasn't with us for training camp (since there was no camp), but he gives it his all. Works hard and seems like a very high IQ player. It took him until his 13th game to get his first hit. I thought that was worrisome a bit. Recently though, he's stuck up for teammates and with his confidence clearly getting higher and higher, he became more physical and went to the net more.

#11 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostRobviously, on 26 April 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Well, we just wasted another season and are currently about as far away from winning the Stanley Cup as we've ever been.

I'm not sure I'm ready to celebrate that we found two more "not top line players."
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

At some point fans have to stop scrounging on the ground for scraps. It's time for fans to demand real change not celebrate potential 4th liners.

#12 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

At some point, fans have to stop looking at the positives at the very end of a lost season and start being miserable.  If you don't get the jump on being miserable in the offseason, it may never come to you...

#13 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Darcy Regier signed these players.

While the argument can and likely will be made that the Sabres shouldn't be in a position where these players stand out at all and Regier is responsible for that, it must be considered that this current team is better with these players than without them.

I look forward to watching these guys continue to compete for a roster spot next year.

#14 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 27 April 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

At some point, fans have to stop looking at the positives at the very end of a lost season and start being miserable.  If you don't get the jump on being miserable in the offseason, it may never come to you...

that's actually pretty funny.

#15 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

And the lowering of standards continues.

#16 Tondas

Tondas

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

If Rudy could add 10-15 pounds without losing any speed, i think he'd be awesome.

#17 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Rudy needs a larger sample size to judge; but thus far he has looked good.

Flynn makes me smile for 2 reasons:
1. He could be a solid 3rd line winger
2. Dealt in a package deal (He wouldn't be the Sulzer/Pardy any more in a trade but rather an actual asset.)

#18 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Based on the trainwreck of a defense we iced this season, I think Ruhwedel is a lock for a spot next year. Incredibly early to make a real accurate judgement but he slipped into the lineup and, quite honestly, played much better than Myers and a number of other defensemen on the team. He took some tough hits but shrugged them off and didn't let anything affect his game. I like him a lot, I think he displayed a lot of "leadership" (in terms of how he plays, obviously I'm not privvy to his locker room presence). Absolute no brainer for me that this kid earns a spot next year, but then again, I thought the same thing about McNabb a few years ago. But I was pretty blown away but how seamlessly he fit into the lineup.

Flynn I think has a tougher road ahead. He was impressive for sure, especially considering he wasn't even on my radar prior to the season, but in my opinion he maxes out as a third liner.. which isn't a bad thing, but naturally it's gonna be harder for a 3rd/4th liner to make enough impact to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team out of camp next year, but won't be disappointed if he doesn't. Same with Porter, really, though Porter has proven to be an excellent PKer. If I had to choose one, I'd take Porter for now.

#19 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postdeluca67, on 27 April 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

And the lowering of standards continues.
Deluca, I like your posts, I really do.  You're a good voice on this board.  But your tone of tearing down people looking at the positives with unrelated tirades against "the man" makes the board worse.  A worse read and worse for discourse.

#20 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

This season was a complete nightmare.  Either it made you miserable or you have a Xanax prescription.

#21 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostRobviously, on 27 April 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

This season was a complete nightmare.  Either it made you miserable or you have a Xanax prescription.
The season certainly made me apathetic.  I try not to spend too much energy being angry about something that's out of my control (and that's supposed to be entertainment).

#22 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

View Postthewookie1, on 27 April 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Rudy needs a larger sample size to judge; but thus far he has looked good.

Flynn makes me smile for 2 reasons:
1. He could be a solid 3rd line winger
2. Dealt in a package deal (He wouldn't be the Sulzer/Pardy any more in a trade but rather an actual asset.)

What do you mean by #2?

Flynn signed as a free agent out of college last year, just like Rudy did this year...

#23 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 27 April 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

The season certainly made me apathetic.  I try not to spend too much energy being angry about something that's out of my control (and that's supposed to be entertainment).
I'll bet you anything that Black and Pegula would rather have you angry than apathetic.

#24 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 27 April 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Deluca, I like your posts, I really do.  You're a good voice on this board.  But your tone of tearing down people looking at the positives with unrelated tirades against "the man" makes the board worse.  A worse read and worse for discourse.
My apologies, I get worked up when I feel that a loyal and devoted fan base is getting short changed. I get more worked when I feel that fan base is short changing themselves. We as fans, purchase tickets, account for great TV ratings and purchase a bunch of merchandise despite a less than acceptable product being provided. Fans shouldn't have to search for positives to hold on to. IMO, it reeks of desperation and apathy and it frustrates me which may go to what you mentioned about my tone. I wish more posters where vocal about their frustration. I wish more posters weren't afraid to post with emotion. In the age of social media I do believe there are people within the Sabres organization that read this board. I want them to know as a life long fan of the franchise, the current situation the franchise is unacceptable and as a fan I have no faith it will be turned around soon.

#25 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

both flynn and porter did a pretty good job against some skilled offensive lines this year.

#26 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

they've both been serviceable.  I hope that the roster next season is upgraded enough that there isn't room for either of them.

#27 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Livve Neilo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postweave, on 28 April 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

they've both been serviceable.  I hope that the roster next season is upgraded enough that there isn't room for either of them.
I'd like Flynn on the 4th line next year. Flynn - Girgensons - Foligno?

#28 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

View Postqwksndmonster, on 28 April 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

I'd like Flynn on the 4th line next year. Flynn - Girgensons - Foligno?

I'd rather Kaleta-Foligno-Scott personally.

#29 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Post716, on 26 April 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I like Rudy better than Myers.

I usually go to a buddy's house to watch the Sabres (Dish doesn't carry them) - and he's said a couple times that if Chief Woodenlegs was off the roster earlier in the season,  we probably would have made the playoffs.   Other than the putrid Rangers game, the team seems to play better when he's not in the lineup -  he's a turnover machine, and makes all kinds of stupid decisions with the puck that are just very, very hard to come back from.

One of the TOP paid players on the roster - and he finished the season with 39 GP, only 3 goals and 8 points - and a -8 on the plus/minus.  That's horrible - and one of the reasons the Sabres aren't competitive - you've got two top paid players - allegedly "stars"  - Stafford and Myers, combined for a 'whopping' 9 goals, 24 points, and - 24!!!!!      A couple seriously Sad Sacks right there - and about as useful as tits on a boar.

#30 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

View PostJsixspd, on 29 April 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I usually go to a buddy's house to watch the Sabres (Dish doesn't carry them) - and he's said a couple times that if Chief Woodenlegs was off the roster earlier in the season,  we probably would have made the playoffs.   Other than the putrid Rangers game, the team seems to play better when he's not in the lineup -  he's a turnover machine, and makes all kinds of stupid decisions with the puck that are just very, very hard to come back from.

One of the TOP paid players on the roster - and he finished the season with 39 GP, only 3 goals and 8 points - and a -8 on the plus/minus.  That's horrible - and one of the reasons the Sabres aren't competitive - you've got two top paid players - allegedly "stars"  - Stafford and Myers, combined for a 'whopping' 9 goals, 24 points, and - 24!!!!!      A couple seriously Sad Sacks right there - and about as useful as tits on a boar.

When Zdeno Chara was Myers age, he had 9 points in 82 games, and was a -27.

Discuss.

#31 skaught

skaught

Rolston Centipede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostAndrew Amerk, on 03 May 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

When Zdeno Chara was Myers age, he had 9 points in 82 games, and was a -27.

Discuss.

Comparing stats, looks like Myers will suck until we trade him to the Senators. :P

Edited by skaught, 03 May 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#32 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,456 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

View Postskaught, on 03 May 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

Comparing stats, looks like Myers will suck until we trade him to the Senators. :P

All the more reason to not trade him. I'd rather have him suck here for 6 years than become great with the Sens!

#33 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 03 May 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

All the more reason to not trade him. I'd rather have him suck here for 6 years than become great with the Sens!
Based on the story of King Solomon, what you just said proves that the Senators are Myers' true team. :(

#34 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Eventually, Myers will sign with the Bruins, be named captain on the spot and hoist the cup a few years later.

I say trade him now to any team but the Otters.

#35 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

While I have no problem with either player, having them as depth call ups from Rochester is ideal.

#36 LaFontaineToMogilny

LaFontaineToMogilny

Denim Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I see them both as Gerbe and Sulzer type players. Does what they are asked to do well, works hard, feel good stories, but not good enough for what I want the Sabres to be picking up and I am longing for the day when neither has a sniff at cracking a Sabres lineup. We need to inject high end talent, not cycle low line pieces.