Jump to content


The "trial" of Terry Pegula


  • Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#1 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

The charge: meddling. I'm more than happy to lead the prosecution. I'm serious. I think it could be fun. We'll pick jurors, have opening and closing arguments, deliberation, a verdict.

Anyone want to defend him? Throw your name into the jury pool?

P.S. We need a judge. I've never seen chz in a black robe, but if anybody could "clear a courtroom"...

#2 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 26 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

The charge: meddling. I'm more than happy to lead the prosecution. I'm serious. I think it could be fun. We'll pick jurors, have opening and closing arguments, deliberation, a verdict.

Anyone want to defend him? Throw your name into the jury pool?

:unsure:

And try to find an impartial jury, or judge for that mattter.

#3 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

First you;ll have to provide enough evidence for an indictment.

#4 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Couldn't agree more.  He should've just given that half a billion to Buffalo and shut the hell up.

#5 Icehole

Icehole

    Goon Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Over the top, I think this preposterous.  First we do not know what kind of relationship Pegula has with hockey decisions and if he really was meddling would Darcy still be here?  Second, I think it is way too early in his ownership history to have any opinion one way or another on his management strategy even if he is as you suggest, meddling.

Sometimes a little meddling can be good and other times bad, I think the jury should not even be called at this point and only an on going investigation should be announced.

Edited by North Buffalo, 26 April 2013 - 11:00 AM.


#6 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I have no feeling one way or the other of Mr. Pegula's role with the team. I don't feel I have enough information to make an informed decision as to whether or not he's been to involved, not involved enough or absent altogether with no sympathy for the fan base.

I'd like to hear the case being brought by PA on this, it will be interesting.

#7 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey, orig. NT

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

I think the case is going to be thrown out due do an overzealous prosecutor.

#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 26 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I'd like to hear the case being brought by PA on this, it will be interesting.

PA has a long history of tearing down Buffalo Sabres ownership. His whereabouts are fuzzy at best on the nights of May 22nd, 1996 and June 23rd, 1998, the nights of the mysterious murders of the Knox Brothers. PA's sick plot gets deeper when you find he was aid the the chief legal council for Adelphia, and was likely the last person to to speak with President George W. Bush prior to his decision not to pardon the Rigas Family in 2008. And in the most "comic book villian" act to date, PA is known to have been following Tom Galisano around for years, stealthily slipping packets of sugar stolen form local restaurants into his pockets.

It was only a matter of time before PA and his Deluminati henchmen moved on the TP.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    Woof

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,130 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A stolen Panzer

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I didn't realize we were in Salem...

#10 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,105 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

View Postshrader, on 26 April 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

I think our next trial should be over whether or not Chad Ruhwedel is a complete bust.

<looks at the man's chest like Leslie Neilson>

Not yet. But with years of inactivity and drinking cheap beer, it may become one.

#11 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 26 April 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Couldn't agree more.  He should've just given that half a billion to Buffalo and shut the hell up.

bio, do you own a black robe?

#12 skaught

skaught

    Rolston Centipede

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Not guilty

#13 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:09 PM



"Well, we did do the nose... and the hat- but she is a witch!"

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 26 April 2013 - 12:11 PM.


#14 Icehole

Icehole

    Goon Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 26 April 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

PA has a long history of tearing down Buffalo Sabres ownership. His whereabouts are fuzzy at best on the nights of May 22nd, 1996 and June 23rd, 1998, the nights of the mysterious murders of the Knox Brothers. PA's sick plot gets deeper when you find he was aid the the chief legal council for Adelphia, and was likely the last person to to speak with President George W. Bush prior to his decision not to pardon the Rigas Family in 2008. And in the most "comic book villian" act to date, PA is known to have been following Tom Galisano around for years, stealthily slipping packets of sugar stolen form local restaurants into his pockets.

It was only a matter of time before PA and his Deluminati henchmen moved on the TP.

The above is good legal strategy, attack the accuser and let me add to it does PA have any relationship to a certain negative Buffalo News reporter or more plausibly to certain Canadian entrepenneur who wants to put a team in Hamilton.... I smell a conspiracy :P

Edited by North Buffalo, 26 April 2013 - 12:25 PM.


#15 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ecum Secum, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

PA, considerations of due process first require that the crime be defined with a constitutionally-sufficient level of detail.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 26 April 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

It was only a matter of time before PA and his Deluminati henchmen moved on the TP.

full marks for "Deluminati". never heard of that one.

#16 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Not guilty.. Over zealous prosecutor apparently trying to put a notch on his keyboard.  Loaded with nothing more than circumstantial evidence gathered from moronic beat writers, twitter-ers and message board GMs.

#17 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm worried about you PA......last guy from the state who wanted to bring up some charges ended up MIA and his hard drive at the bottom of the river.

#18 Loyalty

Loyalty

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

This could be fun. Let's set it up, PA.

#19 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,423 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

If you don't have a warrant I'm going to the ACLU with this one.

#20 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 26 April 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I'm worried about you PA......last guy from the state who wanted to bring up some charges ended up MIA and his hard drive at the bottom of the river.

Out of Office Reply: Sorry to have missed your post. I will be away from the keyboard until Monday, April 29. I will reply to your message at that time.

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 26 April 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

PA, considerations of due process first require that the crime be defined with a constitutionally-sufficient level of detail.



full marks for "Deluminati". never heard of that one.

Your honor?

#21 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ecum Secum, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 26 April 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Your honor?

Ha. Sure thing, if you'd like.

But who'll be the legislative body that frames the law that Uncle Terry's charged with violating?

In terms of a jury, I think you're best served by framing the questions that would be found on a verdict sheet in a separate poll thread.

#22 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 26 April 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Ha. Sure thing, if you'd like.

But who'll be the legislative body that frames the law that Uncle Terry's charged with violating?

In terms of a jury, I think you're best served by framing the questions that would be found on a verdict sheet in a separate poll thread.

Great! You've always been one of my favorite posters. If I see that you've replied to a post, it's a must click for me.

Isn't the "law" already on the books? I would submit that the charge of "meddling" is universally understood in the context of sports owners. I would cite Bettman v. Avery. No definition of "sloppy seconds" found its way into the proceedings.

Edited by PASabreFan, 26 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.


#23 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

We're going to need top notch journalists and media getting the story out to the public with an unbiased viewpoint and no conflict of interest.....just like we see so often. I nominate Chz, Promo, and IKnowPhysics......

#24 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    Even John Scott outscored me.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 26 April 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

The charge: meddling. I'm more than happy to lead the prosecution. I'm serious. I think it could be fun. We'll pick jurors, have opening and closing arguments, deliberation, a verdict.

Anyone want to defend him? Throw your name into the jury pool?

P.S. We need a judge. I've never seen chz in a black robe, but if anybody could "clear a courtroom"...

Is this a trial or military tribunal?

PTR

#25 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,105 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm going to recuse myself, but may file an amicus curiea brief in comic sans at a later time.

#26 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 26 April 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

We're going to need top notch journalists and media getting the story out to the public with an unbiased viewpoint and no conflict of interest.....just like we see so often. I nominate Chz, Promo, and IKnowPhysics......

Don't forget sizzle and thesportsbuff.

#27 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

I think we'll just let the tin foil hat crew take care of this one.

#28 R_dudly

R_dudly

    The Kids are making me nervous..

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Pitts Berg

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

The shame, If only we had made the playoff's I wouldn't have to watch the peoples court.


On a side note if i was chosen for the trail it would be a hung jury!

#29 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostR_dudly, on 26 April 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

The shame, If only we had made the playoff's I wouldn't have to watch the peoples court.


On a side note if i was chosen for the trail it would be a hung jury!

heyyoooooooo

#30 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

The defense asks for a late July trial date to allow time to create and grow the appropriate Johnnie Cochran and Robert Kardashian clones.

#31 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 26 April 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

The defense asks for a late July trial date to allow time to create and grow the appropriate Johnnie Cochran and Robert Kardashian clones.

If Ehrhoff fit, you must acquit?

#32 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester/Finger Lakes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 26 April 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

If Ehrhoff fit, you must acquit?

We will be employing the Chewbacca Defense.

#33 Icehole

Icehole

    Goon Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 26 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Great! You've always been one of my favorite posters. If I see that you've replied to a post, it's a must click for me.

Isn't the "law" already on the books? I would submit that the charge of "meddling" is universally understood in the context of sports owners. I would cite Bettman v. Avery. No definition of "sloppy seconds" found its way into the proceedings.

My understanding is if "meddling" is a universal term then it would fall under old English common law and therefore be part of civil law whereas TP would only be subject to fines.  If "Meddling" is a term that under your understanding would require criminal punishment, then a legislative reference would need to be established with some specificity to hockey.

I think there are plenty of us who could make the language broad enough and watered down enough to fit any circumstances you might foresee.  However, I think I could easily organize a 1/3 opposition to any proposal from even being considered on the floor. In fact I think I could achieve a majority.  Just my opionion.  But this is getting interesting if not inane.  So, I propose a tabling of the legislation to some time in the future... in a galaxy far far away...

Edited by North Buffalo, 26 April 2013 - 02:25 PM.


#34 MattPie

MattPie

    Driver move out.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ardennes Forest

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Oooh, can I be the judge? I have a new avater to match!

#35 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostMattPie, on 26 April 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Oooh, can I be the judge? I have a new avater to match!

You might have to settle for Rusty.

#36 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

    That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ecum Secum, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 26 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Great! You've always been one of my favorite posters. If I see that you've replied to a post, it's a must click for me.

Isn't the "law" already on the books? I would submit that the charge of "meddling" is universally understood in the context of sports owners. I would cite Bettman v. Avery. No definition of "sloppy seconds" found its way into the proceedings.

very kind. thanks.

i'm not so sure whether the law is on the books. Is it?

If it's gonna be a crime, we oughta have degrees.

Just spit-balling:

Meddling: An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. [And so forth]

***(The inish-capped words would be defined terms.)

#37 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

As a potential juror, I'll refrain from any Terry Pegula news from this point forward as to minimize the amount of exposure that may lead to an unbalanced or bias view.

I would however, like the trial to commence prior to the draft in an effort to ensure further evidence in lieu of that day not be allowed in the trial as I fear it would lead to a prolonged process, thereby robbing the defendant of his right to a speedy trial.

#38 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Buffalo, NY - As the so-called "meddling" trial of Terry Pegula looms, pre-trial machinations may hint at what's to come.  The prosecution is trying to establish with the court that a definition of "meddling" exists, but Judge Smell does not agree.  Indeed, there seems to be a question as to whether a trial can take place due to differing opinions of the legality of "meddling".  While neither the prosecution or Judge Smell have hinted at where this may lead, it is possible a higher court may have to establish the definition and terms of "meddling".  Meanwhile, the defense has yet to appear in court to weigh in on this most important matter.

Edited by sizzlemeister, 26 April 2013 - 03:30 PM.


#39 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

    Swords Forever

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 26 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

very kind. thanks.

i'm not so sure whether the law is on the books. Is it?

If it's gonna be a crime, we oughta have degrees.

Just spit-balling:

Meddling: An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. [And so forth]

***(The inish-capped words would be defined terms.)

Agreed Aud, there has to be a defined parameter on the charge so the jurors can give due consideration of both the prosecution as well as the defenses case.

I do have a question however.......

Will the defendant be testifying in his own defense?
If So, I believe a tweet to Mr. Pegula's daughter informing her of these proceedings and offering her father a chance to inter-act with the fan base would just straight out be the bomb, as long as all posters can behave themselves.

#40 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Can someone be extradited to cyberspace?

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 26 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

very kind. thanks.

i'm not so sure whether the law is on the books. Is it?

If it's gonna be a crime, we oughta have degrees.

Just spit-balling:

Meddling: An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. [And so forth]

***(The inish-capped words would be defined terms.)

As sizzle reports, no one appears to be willing to defend Pegula. Should the court assign a public defender? Until there's a defense, I don't think it's appropriate for me to comment on your definition of meddling.

Your honor, you also have minty breath.