Prediction time: Will Darcy get canned? Will Miller and/or Vanek be traded?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: What's gonna happen?

We all know what we want to have happen. But what is actually going to happen? Will DR get canned?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If DR is NOT canned, will Miller be traded this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If DR is NOT canned, will Vanek be traded this summer?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm really not sure what to think about DR.  There are plenty of indications that TP/TB like him, but also plenty of indications and statements that DR will be held accountable.  There are also plenty of good posters here with diverging expectations on this.

I'm kinda leaning toward predicting that they keep him, but I'm not sure how much of that is simply due to his being here for so long that it's hard to imagine otherwise.

As for Miller and Vanek, I limited the question to what happens assuming DR is still GM, because a new GM introduces too many variables.  I think the answer there is that DR is interested in trading both of them, but only for the right return -- and I think he'll be OK waiting until the trade deadline if he doesn't like whatever is on offer this summer.  (But maybe not.)

Let's have your predictions.  As always, this is not what you want to have happen, but what you think WILL happen.  And let's have your reasoning too if you feel like posting it.

Edited by nfreeman, 23 April 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

No to darcy getting canned, yes to miller traded, no to vanek being traded.

#3 WildCard

WildCard

I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too much.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostHeimdall, on 23 April 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

No to darcy getting canned, yes to miller traded, no to vanek being traded.
Agreed. it's hard to believe Miller will be here next season: he's an expensive, declinging UFA after next year and with his controversy with the fans growing (at least a little animosity) it's hard to see him here. Plus, the fact that Enroth keeps starting all of these games leads me to believe they're evaluating him, good thing he's playing lights out

#4 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Despite the fans' wishes, I think DR is here to stay for a little while longer.  Miller will be moved at some point before the season starts.  Not sure where he'll go, but I think he'll be dealt.  Vanek will start the season in Buffalo, but if they start out bad, he'll be gone too before Christmas.

#5 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

I went with the crowd to this point -- DR is here through at least the start of next season, he moves Miller in the off-season, and keeps Vanek around. As for Vanek, if the team stinks next year (which they well might), Vanek would bring a very nice return at the trade deadline (I would envision getting the trade partner's undisputed top prospect, another top 10 organizational prospect/young rostered NHL player with upside, and multiple picks (including that team's #1 in 2014)).

#6 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Actually Ville Leino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think Darcy's done.

#7 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Darcy traded the Captain, Fired Ruff, and will be here at least through next year.  Miller I think is gone and anyone who thinks he failed us is stupid.  He doesn't deserve the anger that fans have spewed.  Vanek stays and resigns.

#8 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Although my feelings on DR are well documented on this board, for the record in this thread, I want him fired, I do not think he will be.  I believe he will have, at least, one more full season to see what happens.

I do believe that Miller will be traded at some point this off-season.  I actually think that it will be a draft time trade (either just before the draft and after the lotto is settled, or on actual draft day, but before the draft starts).

As for Vanek.  I don't think he will be traded, unless he absolutely demands one.  If he does that, my bet would be on the Wild.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 23 April 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#9 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

The hockey genius stays
Miller get's moved on draft day to move the Minny 1st round pick up higher (Philadelphia is my best guess)
Vanek stays

All speculation, but hey, it's fun......

#10 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

I really think if they do that top to bottom review, and ask the same people they asked the first time about "due diligence" they will come to a different conclusion.

I think they pull the plug on Darcy.

I think Darcy already knows it.

In fact he should expect it. It should not be agonizing.

#11 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 23 April 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

The hockey genius stays
Miller get's moved on draft day to move the Minny 1st round pick up higher (Philadelphia is my best guess)
Vanek stays

All speculation, but hey, it's fun......

You forgot to say what you'd do with Darcy. ;)

#12 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postcarpandean, on 23 April 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

You forgot to say what you'd do with Darcy. ;)

lol, I thought he was moving over as the Bills new equipment manager :o

still to early yet? :P

#13 GEORGIA FAN

GEORGIA FAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

I want Darcy fired but I don't think it's going to happen. Also there are fans out their that our delusional and will get season tickets next year, knowing that if Darcy is here next year this team will never change.

#14 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think if Regier stays, Miller is gone.  Unfortunately,  I think it's bye-bye Ryan.   Pegula is just a glutton for continued punishment.

#15 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think Regier is here for at least another year, and both Vanek and Miller are traded in the offseason assuming they don't sign extensions (if they're willing to sign, I think they both stay....sorry if that's against the spirit of the poll :lol:)

Without extensions I highly doubt Regier waits until the deadline because I think value is maximized over the summer.  A full year of either player is going to be worth more than a couple months as rentals IMO.

#16 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think Darcy is done.  With him gone, Vanek signs a new contract.  Miller is finished in this town.  He will move to a Cup contender and be the missing piece that puts them over the top.  Off the ice, Rip Simonick signs a new multi-year deal, but RJ hangs it up.  He will return in 2015 to call the second period of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals, calling the winning goal for the Sabres first Cup win.

#17 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 23 April 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

I highly doubt Regier waits until the deadline because I think value is maximized over the summer.  A full year of either player is going to be worth more than a couple months as rentals IMO.

OTOH, I think there are teams out there that would only pay a king's ransom for Vanek at the trade deadline because it's at that time that a team can conclude that a top-line sniper would turn them into a legitimate contender. That's not something that any team can predict with as much certainty in the summer.

#18 ESPN Sucks

ESPN Sucks

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think Vanek Stay but Miller is gone.
I think Darcy is done and we hire Sid Bream as GM. We become the Toronto Maple Leafs and spend the next 9 years spinning our wheels. Or not

#19 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I expect all 3 back.  (even w/ Miller's obvious frustrations.)

If extensions aren't signed by Ryan & Tommy, they're gone at the deadline.

Until DR is actually gone, I don't expect him out.

#20 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think Darcy stays.  I think they attempt to move Miller (and agree that they should), but with Darcy staying he will not pull the trigger during the summer.  Vanek stays as well.

#21 Meathead

Meathead

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

after canning lindy darcy will get at least a season to retool, maybe two. and thats what this will be, a refit not rebuild. terry gives darcy this last mini-cycle to live up to teds genius label

if that fails, 50/50 at best, darcy will finally ride off into that memorial aud in the sky

ps i voted they all stay. miller maybe more as a personal preference than anything, but its possible darcy convinces both guys that hes got enough ammo to get some big name players and that the kids are ready for support roles etc etc. they might be able to wrangle all those picks and terrys money into more star presence for darcys last hurrah. least thats what im personally hoping

#22 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

yes, yes, yes

meltdown in progress.

#23 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Postwjag, on 23 April 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

yes, yes, yes

meltdown in progress.

... *meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin* ...

:D

#24 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

well if Darcy does steer us into another horrible year and we metldown, we get in the running for Connor McDavid

#25 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostThat Aud Smell, on 23 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

OTOH, I think there are teams out there that would only pay a king's ransom for Vanek at the trade deadline because it's at that time that a team can conclude that a top-line sniper would turn them into a legitimate contender. That's not something that any team can predict with as much certainty in the summer.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just looking at what Pommer got relative to Iginla, and a few years ago, Kovalchuk. Pommer got more than either player, which I'm attributing to the year left on his contract.

#26 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 23 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Fair enough. I guess I'm just looking at what Pommer got relative to Iginla, and a few years ago, Kovalchuk. Pommer got more than either player, which I'm attributing to the year left on his contract.

Hmmm.

#scoresthisonefortrueblue

#27 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

I wish DR to be gone except the alternatives out there are unclear.  I am not confident of him as a high end talent evaluator which is what the Sabres need.  He seems to be able to find diamonds in the rough just not high grade gems in the diamonds.  P.S Sabres have enough talent to finish 9th or tenth next year too so forget Conner what's his name, not gonna happen.

My bet though is Darcy is still here and Miller will be gone next year for draft picks

Edited by North Buffalo, 23 April 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#28 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,369 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 23 April 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

I think Regier is here for at least another year, and both Vanek and Miller are traded in the offseason assuming they don't sign extensions (if they're willing to sign, I think they both stay....sorry if that's against the spirit of the poll :lol:)

Without extensions I highly doubt Regier waits until the deadline because I think value is maximized over the summer.  A full year of either player is going to be worth more than a couple months as rentals IMO.

This is exactly where i am as well.

#29 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostLGR4GM, on 23 April 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

well if Darcy does steer us into another horrible year and we metldown, we get in the running for Connor McDavid

Thought he wasn't eligible till 2015. That's two more horrible years.

#30 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Posttom webster, on 23 April 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Thought he wasn't eligible till 2015. That's two more horrible years.

Correct.

But, what's two more years after we have suffered so long?

#31 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 23 April 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

Correct.

But, what's two more years after we have suffered so long?

Well, we have never really suffered, we have been a mid table team for the last 5 years - ask the Leafs and Oilers what it is like to actually suck for 5+ years. This season has been horrific and we still are bobbing around the 10th position. Not to mention this was 48 games, you are prosing sucking for nearly 4 times that length

Side note: How on earth are the Oilers a top 5 pick team this year? How many 1st overall/top 5 picks does it take to turn that franchise around?

#32 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I voted no, yes, no.

If DR is canned it is yes(obviously), yes, yes.

#33 Icehole

Icehole

Goon Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 23 April 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Side note: How on earth are the Oilers a top 5 pick team this year? How many 1st overall/top 5 picks does it take to turn that franchise around?

Been thinking the same thing for a while, really don't understand that franchise, thought this year was their breakout year.  What gives?

#34 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think Regier gets the boot but won't hold my breath. But for arguments sake and for the spirit of this poll I believe he's gone.

I believe Miller will be traded. If you read between the lines in his most recent interviews he has just about had it with management and the losing atmosphere.

Same with Vanek. He wants to play for a contender and sounds like he is also tired of the less than stellar job by management.

Just my opinion on how I heard recent interviews by these two. Body language and choice of words speak volumes especially with the always emotional Miller.

I'll add that I wouldn't mind seeing either of these players leave as long as the return is substantial.

#35 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

So, with 63 votes, which is a pretty good sample size, there are substantial majorities predicting that DR and Vanek both stay but that Miller is gone.

I'm still not sure, but I do think that generally the crowd has greater wisdom than the individual.

But not always.

We'll see.

#36 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostThirtyEight, on 23 April 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Well, we have never really suffered, we have been a mid table team for the last 5 years - ask the Leafs and Oilers what it is like to actually suck for 5+ years. This season has been horrific and we still are bobbing around the 10th position. Not to mention this was 48 games, you are prosing sucking for nearly 4 times that length

Sorry, but I seem to remember you mentioning that you started following the Sabres less than 10 years ago.

40+ years without a cup.  For me and many other long-term fans that = long suffering.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 24 April 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#37 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,711 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Vanek is having his best year ever.  NFW I trade him.

#38 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 24 April 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Would be a big mistake.

#39 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,250 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Even if he wants out? You could get a career year as he plays for his next contract somewhere else (just like you could get another burst of miraculous eliteness from Miller in an Olympic year, not to mention his contract year). If the Sabres are on the verge of contending. it's a tough call. But in a rebuilding year? What's the point?

#40 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,812 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

At this point, don't you have to consider the return?