37 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaninATL

BuffaninATL

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Interesting column written by Scott Burnside - he suggests for a Pat LaFontaine-type at the head of hockey operations/President with a strong GM to revitalize the Sabres in a similar way with Cam Neely & Chiarelli

http://espn.go.com/b...-long-way-to-go

#2 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

A surprisingly good column from Burnside.  Although, he continues to unduly hate on Ehrhoff and I find it hilarious he talks about bad contracts without even mentioning the team has two amnesty buyouts (or bringing up Stafford for that matter).

Wouldn’t someone like LaFontaine and a hungry new GM almost have the potential to alter the hockey culture in a town hungry for change?

Would they not create the kind of identity that has been lacking in Buffalo since those two seasons after the previous lockout?

More to the point: Isn’t it time to find out?

This last portion really sums it up for me.  I'm really ready to see what changes change can bring.  Not necessarily a hockey legend like LaFontaine...but something different.

Edited by TrueBluePhD, 18 April 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#3 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ehrhoff is +11 on a team that's -17 overall.  I ain't no expert, but you don't luck into that sort of differential over an entire season.

#4 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,592 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostNowDoYouBelieve, on 18 April 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Ehrhoff is +11 on a team that's -17 overall.  I ain't no expert, but you don't luck into that sort of differential over an entire season.

It was the tale of two Erhoff's last night.  

Trying the kick pass down the wall ended up in the net.
And being a second slow tying up Kelly ended up in the net.  -2

But he was just beautiful at the offensive blue line last night.
He really has been playing well. Fun to watch.

#5 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Burnside has hated the Ehrhoff acquisition from moment one, for reasons unknown.  I remember his season preview a couple of years said something like "Christian Ehrhoff isn't going to scare anyone in the East".

#6 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm sick of this idea that it has to be some Sabre legend.  If you're going to hire someone, hire the best man for the job and don't make it contingent upon having a history with the organization.

#7 WildCard

WildCard

I'm Not Your Buddy, Pal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postshrader, on 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'm sick of this idea that it has to be some Sabre legend.  If you're going to hire someone, hire the best man for the job and don't make it contingent upon having a history with the organization.
I've said it before and I know others have but it seems appropriate to say it again in this thread, the obvious move is to hire Jim Nill. 21 straight postseason births, great fenwick stats (I like those stats, and someone had a great chart up the other day), multiple cups, great drafting, and unbelievable stability in the organization. Excluding the last part, which is ironic, we've had none of these consistently. The guy has been alongside the mastermind of a model franchise for years, he's picked up a thing or two i'd wager; he's a steal as a gm and if we're not gonna get him someone else is going to be happy they did.

On a related note, I know Regier just signed an extension, does anyone know the specifics/ how Pegula could relieve him legally?

#8 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostWildCard, on 18 April 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I've said it before and I know others have but it seems appropriate to say it again in this thread, the obvious move is to hire Jim Nill. 21 straight postseason births, great fenwick stats (I like those stats, and someone had a great chart up the other day), multiple cups, great drafting, and unbelievable stability in the organization. Excluding the last part, which is ironic, we've had none of these consistently. The guy has been alongside the mastermind of a model franchise for years, he's picked up a thing or two i'd wager; he's a steal as a gm and if we're not gonna get him someone else is going to be happy they did.

On a related note, I know Regier just signed an extension, does anyone know the specifics/ how Pegula could relieve him legally?

Jim Nill has turned down interview opportunities in the past. Seems like the guy is comfortable and happy here he is.

To your question, Pegula can fire Regier any time he wants, he just has to keep paying him the money.

#9 WildCard

WildCard

I'm Not Your Buddy, Pal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 18 April 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Jim Nill has turned down interview opportunities in the past. Seems like the guy is comfortable and happy here he is.

To your question, Pegula can fire Regier any time he wants, he just has to keep paying him the money.
Really? Huh, didn't not know that, but good to know, thanks

#10 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,592 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

How about a non-legend but former Sabre/Amerk .....Jason Botterill.
He knows Darcy's MO......he knows the Amerks..so I would assume he already knows the market...he's AGM to Ray Shero.

He's young....but as long as we are rebuilding. Why not?

My other outside the box guy would be Marty Lapointe.

I would love to poach Don Maloney from Phoenix as well. Let's see what he can do with a budget.

#11 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

"Two prominent members of the Buffalo Sabres were apparently not that close to being moved ahead of the trade deadline. CBC's Elliotte Friedman reports GM Darcy Regier wasn't offered near what he wanted for either goalie Ryan Miller or forward Thomas Vanek. Not only that, but there's talk the Sabres may actually look to extend both players."

from espn
insider..

must be sabres day at espn

Edited by waldo, 18 April 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#12 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 18 April 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

He knows Darcy's MO......he knows the Amerks..so I would assume he already knows the market...he's AGM to Ray Shero.

I would love to poach Don Maloney from Phoenix as well. Let's see what he can do with a budget.

I'm all for a younger guy getting his first shot. I've had enough mediocrity, I'm ready to shoot high with the distinct possibility of a crash landing.

#13 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postwaldo, on 18 April 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

"Two prominent members of the Buffalo Sabres were apparently not that close to being moved ahead of the trade deadline. CBC's Elliotte Friedman reports GM Darcy Regier wasn't offered near what he wanted for either goalie Ryan Miller or forward Thomas Vanek. Not only that, but there's talk the Sabres may actually look to extend both players."

from espn
insider..

People, including some in the media, keep saying Terry said he wanted Miller to retire a Sabre. I can't confirm it, but if it's true, sure, Darcy is going to extend Miller.

#14 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 18 April 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Maloney's the one I'm most interested in.  Then again, how many times have we seen that "what can he do without a budget" guy put together an atrocious team?  I think certain people are just meant to operate under a strict budget.

#15 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 18 April 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

It was the tale of two Erhoff's last night.  

Trying the kick pass down the wall ended up in the net.
And being a second slow tying up Kelly ended up in the net.  -2

But he was just beautiful at the offensive blue line last night.
He really has been playing well. Fun to watch.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's an interesting perspective on Ehrhoff from a Canucks blog:

http://canucksarmy.c...-win-the-norris

Snippet:

Who cares that the Sabres are terrible, Christian Ehrhoff's performance has been good enough that he should be nominated for a Norris Trophy this season.

#16 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Ehrhoff is the best bang for cap buck on the Sabres.
Article has some obvious flaws but its heart is in exactly the right place.
Yes please on a smart young guy, and if a Lafontaine is there to help and be a public face, so much the better.

Curious the article cites Columbus as a team the Sabres should be mimicking. Aren't they also in a mad dash for ninth place?

#17 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postdudacek, on 18 April 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Ehrhoff is the best bang for cap buck on the Sabres.
Article has some obvious flaws but its heart is in exactly the right place.
Yes please on a smart young guy, and if a Lafontaine is there to help and be a public face, so much the better.

Curious the article cites Columbus as a team the Sabres should be mimicking. Aren't they also in a mad dash for ninth place?

Check those standings.  They pulled ahead of Detroit for 8th place last night.

#18 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postshrader, on 18 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Check those standings.  They pulled ahead of Detroit for 8th place last night.
And they have a slightly better chance of making it than we do.
My point was that, because of expectations, Columbus is being perceived as having a much more successful season than they actually are. And for the same reasons, our season is being perceived in the opposite manner.
On the ice, has there really been that much to choose between the two?
Is it not just a matter of PR?
Are you not what your record says you are?

#19 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 18 April 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

People, including some in the media, keep saying Terry said he wanted Miller to retire a Sabre. I can't confirm it, but if it's true, sure, Darcy is going to extend Miller.

He said the same thing about Vanek too.

#20 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

He said the same thing about Vanek too.

Thanks. Super.

#21 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postwaldo, on 18 April 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

from espn
insider..

Here's the exact link-

15. Darcy Regier never came close to dealing Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek at the deadline. "The value wasn't there," he said last week. When you see what it took for him to trade Jason Pominville, you understand what value he wanted. More interesting: the Sabres GM hinted, but would not confirm, that he's talked to both players about extending their contracts in Buffalo. Miller and Vanek are unrestricted free agents after next season.

16. Regier told Hockey Night in Canada Radio the departures of Daniel Briere and Chris Drury taught him that you can't let those kinds of players leave for nothing. When he and I talked by phone, he talked about "the void" that still exists under the new CBA. We know now (thanks to Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry) what the high-end 27-year-olds are going to get. Vanek will be 30 and Miller 33 when they hit the market. Can the Sabres find a number they are comfortable with for those players? If not, they will be traded. Regier will sit down with both men after the season. Those talks will determine where things go.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-up-oilers.html

Elliott even comments on Kaleta and Myers in that link too.

#22 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostWildCard, on 18 April 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Nill might be all that but history has shown that some guys are just better at being support staff. Picking anyone that has never done it is as much a crap shoot as the draft. You have ot hope that TP, TB and KS have some good connections that can point them in the right direction.

#23 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 18 April 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Burnside has hated the Ehrhoff acquisition from moment one, for reasons unknown.  I remember his season preview a couple of years said something like "Christian Ehrhoff isn't going to scare anyone in the East".
   And.......................he doesn't.  Can't take a man off the puck down low, won't play the man, period. Good offensive player who needs to be paired with a defensive defensemen. He is a back end liability.  Overpaid for what he brings?  Absolutely!  DR mistake that is only overshadowed by Leino that summer? Absolutely.  Just my opinion, but a team coming off the Stanley Cup final who had all kinds of injuries on defense during the playoffs didn't try to sign him.  He opted for $$$ over another shot at the cup.  Tells a lot about his goals in the NHL.

Edited by Grumpy, 18 April 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#24 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 18 April 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Here's the exact link-

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-up-oilers.html

Elliott even comments on Kaleta and Myers in that link too.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but there is more good Sabre insight and information in that column than th Buffalo News crew has published all season. Good reporting is not dead.

Edited by dudacek, 18 April 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#25 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postdudacek, on 18 April 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Sorry to be a dead horse, but there is more good Sabre insight and information in that column than th Buffalo News crew has published all season. Good reporting is not dead.
  Who reads the news sports for insight?

Oh, and bring in Lafontaine with all his management and coaching experience.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  When did he retire form the NHL?

Edited by Grumpy, 18 April 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#26 TheFunPolice

TheFunPolice

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Darcy aint goin nowhere I'm afraid...

The only hope we have is that he retires in 10-15 years.

#27 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostGrumpy, on 18 April 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

And.......................he doesn't.  Can't take a man off the puck down low, won't play the man, period. Good offensive player who needs to be paired with a defensive defensemen. He is a back end liability.  Overpaid for what he brings?  Absolutely!  DR mistake that is only overshadowed by Leino that summer? Absolutely.  Just my opinion, but a team coming off the Stanley Cup final who had all kinds of injuries on defense during the playoffs didn't try to sign him.  He opted for $$$ over another shot at the cup.  Tells a lot about his goals in the NHL.

Ehrhoff isn't a shutdown defender, but that doesn't make him a liability either. Also, I don't think you know what a $4 million defenseman looks like, because Ehrhoff at that price is probably the second best value contract on the team behind only Sekera.

#28 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

Once again, people mistake snarl for effectiveness.
Ehrhoff is hardly Adam Foote in his prime, but I can't remember a Sabre defender making as many good defensive plays with his stick as he does. Rarely commits a turnover, or gets caught out of position. And the way he plays the two-on-one is a thing of beauty.
His plus minus on this train wreck speaks for itself.
Easily the team's most consistent and dependable player.

#29 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, his fan-boy image definetly has people speculating only in-house type moves, but if he does get Darcy Regier fired, i think he will be open to atleast interview anyone and everyone possible. Ted Black won't allow him to just hire someone based on the "Sabres" in his resume.

#30 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 18 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Ehrhoff isn't a shutdown defender, but that doesn't make him a liability either. Also, I don't think you know what a $4 million defenseman looks like, because Ehrhoff at that price is probably the second best value contract on the team behind only Sekera.
That's his cap hit.  As an owner of a business who meets payroll, my money would have been wasted by Darcy.  I know TP is a billionaire and $ doesn't matter.  That is a common opinion of many Buffalonians. I'd be pissed if I was Pegula for what I am receiving for the money I've given him  Sure we played the salary cap game and filled his coffers on the front end. (Really instills motivation, doesn't it?).  And yes, Sekera is a much better investment and actually understands that at times you have to play the man. Hell, even Campbell knew that.  Ehrhoff is BAD on the puck in his own zone.

Edited by Grumpy, 19 April 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#31 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Battista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Error-hoff usually is a good player - probably not good enough to justify his salary, but I'm not sure that justifies the vitriol    If he's going to criticize Erhoff, he ought to positively heap EXCORIATION  on Tyler Myers or Drew Stafford.

Edited by Jsixspd, 19 April 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#32 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

I have no vitriol, He's overpaid and doesn't justify his cost versus contribution to the team.  That seems simple to me.  He doesn't play DEFENSE at all.  His 10goals per yr just doesn't seem worth the waste of money to me.   No vitriol. I like facts.

#33 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Wow, Christianl shot and the Austrian tips it home.  We really paid a lot for that HUGE GOAL  when down 6-0.

#34 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Ehrhoff isn't even the best deal on D.  Mike Weber has been as good as Ehrhoff this season and if you put any defender on the power play their offensive stats will go up (yes even on this team).  Ehrhoff has been alright this year, but nothing spectacular.  Any average D-man playing average would look like an all-star next to the cast on D this year.  Ehrhoff's cap hit is over 4 times Weber's ( 4mil to 950K).
If quoting Ehrhoff's +/- against this teams' is relevant, then maybe people should lay off Jochen.

#35 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostBuffaninATL, on 18 April 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Interesting column written by Scott Burnside - he suggests for a Pat LaFontaine-type at the head of hockey operations/President with a strong GM to revitalize the Sabres in a similar way with Cam Neely & Chiarelli

http://espn.go.com/b...-long-way-to-go

He's certainly bang-on regarding the leadership void that has plagued this team since 2007, and the "wasteland of bad contracts" bit.

I also whole-heatedly agree with his assesment that Vanek and Miller likely don't want to stay here, unless things change drastically in the off-season, starting with the GM position.

That said, and Darcy being Darcy, I can easily seem him keep both around for another season where they really don't want to be here, only to walk for nothing as UFA's next year.

#36 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostJsixspd, on 19 April 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Error-hoff usually is a good player - probably not good enough to justify his salary, but I'm not sure that justifies the vitriol If he's going to criticize Erhoff, he ought to positively heap EXCORIATION  on Tyler Myers or Drew Stafford.
    Yea he should.  Darcy has been pretty loose with TP's $ since he showed up. Putting aside cap accounting games, Ehrhoff has 18 million of TP's money for the  last two seasons, Leino 12 million for two, Stafford 8 million for two and Myers 12 million for one.  Not great bang for the buck, although Ehrhoff has been the best of the group..  I know TP has deep pockets, but one would think that even he has to have a breaking point. Even though Sabres' tickets are still one of the best deals in the NHL, he did institute the biggest single season ticket price increase in team history.  Money does have some meaning to him. Just a cap question for those in the know.  I'M NOT advocating this, but if Ehrhoff were traded, he'd have 22 million left on 8 years of his contract.  Would the team that acquires him assume the 4 mil/yr hit we have or would it be 2.75?

#37 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostGrumpy, on 21 April 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Yea he should.  Darcy has been pretty loose with TP's $ since he showed up. Putting aside cap accounting games, Ehrhoff has 18 million of TP's money for the  last two seasons, Leino 12 million for two, Stafford 8 million for two and Myers 12 million for one.  Not great bang for the buck, although Ehrhoff has been the best of the group..  I know TP has deep pockets, but one would think that even he has to have a breaking point. Even though Sabres' tickets are still one of the best deals in the NHL, he did institute the biggest single season ticket price increase in team history.  Money does have some meaning to him. Just a cap question for those in the know.  I'M NOT advocating this, but if Ehrhoff were traded, he'd have 22 million left on 8 years of his contract.  Would the team that acquires him assume the 4 mil/yr hit we have or would it be 2.75?

Remaining salary and contract cap hit.

#38 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thank you.