Jump to content


Lindy Ruff: Head Coach, Team Canada's World Championships team


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Rumor running around twitter that Ruff will coach Team Canada this summer.  I didn't want to start a new thread.

EDIT ok maybe it is important enough for a thread...thxchz.

Edited by Eleven, 16 April 2013 - 02:36 PM.


#2 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostEleven, on 16 April 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Rumor running around twitter that Ruff will coach Team Canada this summer.  I didn't want to start a new thread.
He'd be the logical choice. Babcock and Hitch will be busy.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420924

Edited by X. Benedict, 16 April 2013 - 01:28 PM.


#3 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 16 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

He'd be the logical choice. Babcock and Hitch will be busy.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420924

Maybe.

#4 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostEleven, on 16 April 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Maybe.

Good point. the season ends next week.
that's a tight race in the west.

#5 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

http://prohockeytalk...nada-at-worlds/

Lindy finds work...

#6 dudacek

dudacek

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Wonder how many Sabres will join him?
Myers is out.
Hodgson maybe? Ott?

#7 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postdudacek, on 16 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Wonder how many Sabres will join him?
Myers is out.
Hodgson maybe? Ott?
Hodgson would be a good bet. Even Pysyk on the large surface, at least week one.

#8 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postdudacek, on 16 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Wonder how many Sabres will join him?
Myers is out.
Hodgson maybe? Ott?

I know Miller won't do it.

#9 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostEleven, on 16 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I know Miller won't do it.

Yeah, I can't see him renouncing his citizenship and violating IIHF by-laws just to be reunited with a coach he never really liked in the first place.

#10 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

What about Pommers?

#11 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 16 April 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

What about Pommers?

Doesn't he play for Team USA?

#12 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 16 April 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Doesn't he play for Team USA?

He's a dual citizen.  I assume he could play for either?

#13 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 16 April 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

He's a dual citizen.  I assume he could play for either?

No; he made the choice to play for the US in 2008 and cannot play for other countries (absent some IIHF special permission or something).

#14 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

    And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

What about briere

#15 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

View Postdudacek, on 16 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Wonder how many Sabres will join him?
Myers is out.
Hodgson maybe? Ott?

I thought Myers was a US citizen too? Texan, isn't he?

#16 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostKristian, on 16 April 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

I thought Myers was a US citizen too? Texan, isn't he?

Dual; has played for Canada.  Broken leg.

#17 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Matt Ellis?   :mellow:

#18 Kristian

Kristian

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostEleven, on 16 April 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Dual; has played for Canada.  Broken leg.

Right, yeah moot point either way.

I alwys like watching the worlds. Team Canada usually performs well, Team USA is always a complete unkown.

#19 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,414 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Luke Adam, duh.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 16 April 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Luke Adam, duh.

Good one.

#21 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Getting to coach this team is like the girl at the prom who gets to help clean the punchbowl during the last song..........you're the most responsible of those who aren't on the dance floor......

#22 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

    Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 16 April 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Getting to coach this team is like the girl at the prom who gets to help clean the punchbowl during the last song..........you're the most responsible of those who aren't on the dance floor......

Unless he wins and end up coaching in Sochi in eight months

#23 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

(OT)

#24 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 16 April 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Unless he wins and end up coaching in Sochi in eight months

Sochi? I know Soco Manhattans.....but who or what is Sochi?

Lindy is with me on this one......

#25 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 16 April 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Unless he wins and end up coaching in Sochi in eight months

(1) to Drane's "point," the better Canadian coaches out of the playoffs usually get this gig.

(2) I don't think he ends up on Sochi.  Maybe, but I don't think so.

#26 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostEleven, on 16 April 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

(1) to Drane's "point," the better Canadian coaches out of the playoffs usually get this gig.

(2) I don't think he ends up on Sochi.  Maybe, but I don't think so.
I think it'll be Babcock's if he wants it.

#27 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 16 April 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

I think it'll be Babcock's if he wants it.

Agreed, and thus, his buddy Ruff goes as assistant again.

#28 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Drury?

#29 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...-coaching-again

"You just go through a lot of different emotions," said Ruff. "Obviously, it’s the first time being let go; you need some time away. You go through the angry emotions, the emotions of missing the game. You want to watch; you don’t want to watch. But when you get to this time of the year in the NHL and the intensity around the playoff picture, you really start to miss it. It’s almost like a jealousy. You’re sitting on the outside, and you’re not involved."

#30 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 April 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

http://espn.go.com/b...-coaching-again

"You just go through a lot of different emotions," said Ruff. "Obviously, it’s the first time being let go; you need some time away. You go through the angry emotions, the emotions of missing the game. You want to watch; you don’t want to watch. But when you get to this time of the year in the NHL and the intensity around the playoff picture, you really start to miss it. It’s almost like a jealousy. You’re sitting on the outside, and you’re not involved."

Is this quote from April 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013?????

:P ;)

#31 Grumpy

Grumpy

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 16 April 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Agreed, and thus, his buddy Ruff goes as assistant again.
And he once again picks up "new" ideas.

#32 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 April 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

Is this quote from April 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013?????

:P ;)

At least you find yourself funny.  That's one thing going for you.

#33 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 April 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:


Quote

"Anxiety is probably the right word," Ruff said. "You want that second opportunity. I’m anxious to get that journey underway."

Sounds like he itching to get back on the bench.  Wonder why he didn't go to Tampa.

#34 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 April 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

At least you find yourself funny.  That's one thing going for you.

I have no gift to bring....parump pa pa pum.......

If it would make you feel any better.....maybe I can just put a whole pack of bandaids on my arms and methodically rip all the hair off.

#35 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 April 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

I have no gift to bring....parump pa pa pum.......

If it would make you feel any better.....maybe I can just put a whole pack of bandaids on my arms and methodically rip all the hair off.

Nice and slow?

I don't know how I'd feel, but I'd watch that once.

#36 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    1970

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ruff hopes to coach an NHL team next season:

http://www.sportsnet...am-next-season/

Listen to Lindy's interview if you're so inclined.

#37 SwampD

SwampD

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 18 April 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

Is this quote from April 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013?????

:P ;)

View PostSpndnchz, on 18 April 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

At least you find yourself funny.  That's one thing going for you.
I laughed, mostly because I was thinking something very similar while read Lindy's quote.

#38 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

ESPN cited sources that 13 players have so far committed to play for Canada at the World Championships. Zero Sabres so far. Although, Brian Campbell is on the squad.

http://espn.go.com/b...ing-in-lucky-13

Quote


Still some space left. Only Sabres that deserve to be on it i think are Hodgson and Ott. Ott said he was invited to the last 2 but rejected due to injuries and hes healthy now...

#39 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostVanek-Man, on 26 April 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

ESPN cited sources that 13 players have so far committed to play for Canada at the World Championships. Zero Sabres so far. Although, Brian Campbell is on the squad.

http://espn.go.com/b...ing-in-lucky-13



Still some space left. Only Sabres that deserve to be on it i think are Hodgson and Ott. Ott said he was invited to the last 2 but rejected due to injuries and hes healthy now...

Only 2-3 spots for forwards are left, though.

#40 Moulson26

Moulson26

    Blood and Guts

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

No Sabres made the roster. http://www.elitepros...m.php?team=1616