#1 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Roo-ee-dull.

I figure since I'm sure his first game will have an in depth post mortem we might as well give him his own thread.

#2 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Cursory question: did we sign him because among the best undrafted defensemen and a good prospect for Rochester/longer term development or because we're out of call-ups?

#3 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I like him. Obviously it's too early to really say anything with certainty but he hasn't looked out of place on the NHL ice today. And he hasn't turned one over in our own zone leading to a goal against yet, so that pretty much makes him our best active defenseman.

#4 Tondas

Tondas

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Plays like Pysyk, and I mean that in a good way.

#5 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

No complaints today...he looked pretty good.

Edited by sizzlemeister, 13 April 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#6 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

I liked what i saw.  Maybe he can be our Chris Tanev.

#7 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

good first game.

#8 johnnychemo

johnnychemo

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Played with poise, good crisp passing, didn't seem afraid to take a hit to make a play.

#9 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Postjohnnychemo, on 13 April 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Played with poise, good crisp passing, didn't seem afraid to take a hit to make a play.
He took a shot behind the net and just shook it off. There are some guys on this team that would have taken the opportunity to just lay there.

#10 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

I thought he looked real good especially for how fast everything happened and that he didn't get even a practice in with the team. To me he looks like a solid addition. I don't want to hear people jump on this kid it's still an adjustment to the NHL level but I like that he getting some games in that way he will know what to work on in the offseason.

#11 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Worked all day, missed the game and was away from the computer, so i will ask this here, even though it has nothing to do with his play but it does have to do with Ruhwedel.

How come he was given #5 in his debut game, while others, such as Flynn (65), Pysyk (53), Foligno (82), Ennis (63), Adam (72) and Myers (57) have to "earn" their jersey number of choice, even though some of these guys decided to keep the nascar number they were given by Rip? Did anybody say?

#12 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostVanek-Man, on 13 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Worked all day, missed the game and was away from the computer, so i will ask this here, even though it has nothing to do with his play but it does have to do with Ruhwedel.

How come he was given #5 in his debut game, while others, such as Flynn (65), Pysyk (53), Foligno (82), Ennis (63), Adam (72) and Myers (57) have to "earn" their jersey number of choice, even though some of these guys decided to keep the nascar number they were given by Rip? Did anybody say?

Hear, hear!
Or does this generation actually prefer the high numbers?

#13 Moulson26

Moulson26

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 13 April 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Cursory question: did we sign him because among the best undrafted defensemen and a good prospect for Rochester/longer term development or because we're out of call-ups?

Definitely the Sabres view him highly as a prospect. Just watched his interview on sabres.com, Ruhwedel said the Sabres kept an interest in him all season long. Maybe this is why they dealt Brennen? They knew they'd be needing a spot and were confident in signing him, and obviously didn't foresee Myers getting hurt.

View Postdudacek, on 13 April 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Hear, hear!
Or does this generation actually prefer the high numbers?

Rip Simonick picks all numbers, and they are typically high, random numbers, until they earn it. Few organizations do this tradition still. Florida and Ducks among them. But, many of our guys always decide to keep the numbers...

#14 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

I guessing with this signing I would use my first and second rounders on skilled offensive players that have size and that can skate

#15 Icehole

Icehole

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 13 April 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I guessing with this signing I would use my first and second rounders on skilled offensive players that have size and that can skate
I have been saying that for two years, specifically a big skilled center.  And now a scoring winger.

#16 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Work on getting some quality offensive players. I think we have enough defenseman in the system. Load up on the offensive players and please no goalies. I'm even up to trading Miller as long as we get alot back that can speed up the rebuild. Use a two goalie system that way they can push each other. Enroth, Leggio who they should give a look and Hackett.

Edited by SabresBillsFan, 13 April 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#17 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,002 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 13 April 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Work on getting some quality offensive players. I think we have enough defenseman in the system. Load up on the offensive players and please no goalies. I'm even up to trading Miller as long as we get alot back that can speed up the rebuild. Use a two goalie system that way they can push each other. Enroth, Leggio who they should give a look and Hackett.
You do realize they have to suck in '14-'15 in order to draft McDavid 1st overall, right?

Leggio is not an NHL talent (pains me to say that, him being a Clarkson boy and all)  and Enroth is not starting material.  Unless you have faith in Ullman, Hackett, or Markov that is a REALLY risky proposition.

I'd rather they keep Miller and Vanek and trade some of their mid-liners (the Leopolds I'd mentioned before Dwight) and prospects to find the 1st line C and 1st/2nd line RW they desperately need.

#18 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

The kid looked OK -- but this wasn't much of a test.  Philly seems to be in full run-for-the-bus mode.

This might be more of a comment on Pysyk -- but I thought the FNG looked faster than Pysyk -- and for that matter Pysyk doesn't seem particularly fast to me.  I only mention this because when Pysyk was drafted there was quite a bit of hype about his skating ability -- I'm pretty sure I saw more than 1 Niedermayer comparison (and I mean the good Niedermayer, not the one the Sabres got).

As for the kid -- I'm kinda lukewarm.  If he turns into a dynamic offensive player -- great.  If not, then his ceiling is just another soft, non-hitting, positionally sound defenseman on a team that has been suffering from a grit deficiency since 2006.  So if he's good, that's fine, but I only want him in the rotation if he takes the spot of one of the other dudes of his ilk.

#19 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

I didnt really notice Chad other then the bits Razor pointed out (not noticing a Dman is a good thing alot of times). Also Nfreeman I disagree about Pysyk. I have liked his game since he got called up. I view Pysyk as a well rounded Dman that has a bit more in the skating and joining the rush department.

#20 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Solid first game. Looked poised and confident.

Looked like he hasn't been ruined by whatever poor attitude in the locker room that plagues this team yet.

#21 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Kaleta called him Rudy after the game.  

I was hoping for weeds, chadder, or something off the wall like chewy for Szczechura.

#22 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

View Postinkman, on 14 April 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

I was hoping for weeds, chadder, or something off the wall like chewy for Szczechura.

"Rewey?"

#23 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostTaro T, on 13 April 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

You do realize they have to suck in '14-'15 in order to draft McDavid 1st overall, right?

Leggio is not an NHL talent (pains me to say that, him being a Clarkson boy and all)  and Enroth is not starting material.  Unless you have faith in Ullman, Hackett, or Markov that is a REALLY risky proposition.

I'd rather they keep Miller and Vanek and trade some of their mid-liners (the Leopolds I'd mentioned before Dwight) and prospects to find the 1st line C and 1st/2nd line RW they desperately need.

Who knows if Miller and Vanek want to be part of the rebuild both have been around awhile and the way the league is u only have so many shots at the playoffs or Stanley Cup for that matter. If neither wants to go through this there is no choice but to unload them and get what you can for them. It should be a really interesting off season. I want Minnesota to miss the playoffs that way it will give us another shot at a decent pick.

#24 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,002 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostSabresBillsFan, on 14 April 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

Who knows if Miller and Vanek want to be part of the rebuild both have been around awhile and the way the league is u only have so many shots at the playoffs or Stanley Cup for that matter. If neither wants to go through this there is no choice but to unload them and get what you can for them. It should be a really interesting off season. I want Minnesota to miss the playoffs that way it will give us another shot at a decent pick.

True, if they don't want to be here, they won't be here.  But both have been here for a loooong time, I have to believe that if the team looks like it can compete they'll both want to be here.  (And they are the only part of the 'core' worth keeping.  Of course, there's only 1 piece of the core besides them that's left.  I can't wait to lose that dead weight.  Though tonight was fun; for the 1st time EVER I had a Sabres fan not want to 'high 5' me because she was a 'Stafford fan' and apparently I'd been disrespectful to the church of the Staff.  Who'd've thunk.

#25 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Why aren't you sleeping Taro?  

I've been jamming myself full of caffeine all day and have yet to come down.  What's your excuse?

#26 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,002 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

View Postinkman, on 14 April 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

Why aren't you sleeping Taro?  

I've been jamming myself full of caffeine all day and have yet to come down.  What's your excuse?
Downloading Triumph videos.

Got a problem w/ that?

#27 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

My dad sat next to Ruhwedel's parents at the game.

But didn't learn anything about him, other than the fact that he played juniors for two years (my mom's the hockey fan, not my dad).

His parents are nice though.

#28 Kristian

Kristian

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

View PostTaro T, on 14 April 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

True, if they don't want to be here, they won't be here.  But both have been here for a loooong time, I have to believe that if the team looks like it can compete they'll both want to be here.  (And they are the only part of the 'core' worth keeping.  Of course, there's only 1 piece of the core besides them that's left.  I can't wait to lose that dead weight.  Though tonight was fun; for the 1st time EVER I had a Sabres fan not want to 'high 5' me because she was a 'Stafford fan' and apparently I'd been disrespectful to the church of the Staff.  Who'd've thunk.

How does one become, or let alone, stay a fan of Stafford?

I mean, that must be like rooting for the Washington Generals?

#29 Heimdall

Heimdall

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

she was blind ?

#30 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Right handed D-man  - Good

Two year contract - this is year one

DR had to promise he would play this year because other teams wanted him too.

He can not play for the Amerks this season.

#31 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostTaro T, on 14 April 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

Downloading Triumph videos.

Got a problem w/ that?

Have the magic power in you?

#32 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

View Postinkman, on 14 April 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

No Rudsie? Shocking

#33 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 14 April 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

Right handed D-man  - Good

Two year contract - this is year one

DR had to promise he would play this year because other teams wanted him too.

He can not play for the Amerks this season.

Funny he was wearing #5. I remember Mike Ramsey's quick debut after the Olympics in 1980.
It is always strange for me to see anyone else wearing #5.

#34 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,196 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 14 April 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Funny he was wearing #5. I remember Mike Ramsey's quick debut after the Olympics in 1980.
It is always strange for me to see anyone else wearing #5.

When I saw him skate out with that number I nearly went insane trying to think of who wore that number recently.  Lydman.

As for the NASCAR number discussion above, there was an Ottawa coach in the 90s--I don't remember who--who mandated that no player could wear a number higher than 49.  He didn't want the "primadonna" numbers, that flashy scorers sometimes wear, destroying the concept of a team.  I always liked that.

#35 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostEleven, on 14 April 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

When I saw him skate out with that number I nearly went insane trying to think of who wore that number recently.  Lydman.

As for the NASCAR number discussion above, there was an Ottawa coach in the 90s--I don't remember who--who mandated that no player could wear a number higher than 49.  He didn't want the "primadonna" numbers, that flashy scorers sometimes wear, destroying the concept of a team.  I always liked that.

It always seemed to me Lydman had it on loan. #5 will always be Mike Ramsey to me. Kind of like Mike Moller wearing #14.

Of course Jason Wooley had #5 too. (didn't he?) But it wasn't Blue and Gold.

#5's were Lee Fogolin, Ramsey, Wooley

#36 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

It's a number...

I liked what I saw from a kid who had had no practice and just jumped from NCAA.  He certainly seemed very fluid on his skates.

As for Pysyk, every time I watch I'm impressed how he simply just moves the puck to the forwards as though it's no effort at all.  His ability to turn the puck up ice is really impressive.

Also, if Ruhwedel turns out to be a find does that say something about the Sabres hockey operations?  To have an eye on the kid all season and then steal him from other teams who also wanted to sign him?  Granted, the Sabres are in a good position to give a kid immediate playing time.

#37 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I was very impressed with C-Roo (let's face it, I abbreviate something or spell his real name 50 different ways).

He played such a poised game yesterday. He can skate, nice vision, and a decent shot. Made smart plays.

Love that he's a right-handed shot.  That should make one for each pair going forward - Myers, and Pysyk.

#38 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I didn't notice him at all and that's the way it should be. Bravo!.

#39 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 14 April 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

I was very impressed with C-Roo (let's face it, I abbreviate something or spell his real name 50 different ways).

He played such a poised game yesterday. He can skate, nice vision, and a decent shot. Made smart plays.

Love that he's a right-handed shot.  That should make one for each pair going forward - Myers, and Pysyk.

This. How Regier got off the hook for building a completely unbalanced d corps is beyond me. He's seriously just figuring out he needed some righties? Yeesh.

#40 Sbre zeke

Sbre zeke

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Drafting centers, right and left handed defensemen...another 16 years and Darcy might have this all figured out.