The one decent thing about Sean Avery.

#3 Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirths Glove

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Why did you put "homophobia" in quotes, like it's "a thing"?

#4 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

And... we're off.

#5 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Posted Image

#6 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

--looks for soapbox---

#7 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Why is gay rights making a wave through professional sports? A man's sexual orientation has nothing to do with the sport he plays. This bothers me so much. I look to sports to escape from politics and human/civil rights and yet that's exactly what we're getting into.

#8 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

I graduated from Notre Dame with Patrick Burke. He was then, and is now, a fantastic person, despite his work with the Flyers.

#9 MattPie

MattPie

Driver move out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostOverPowerYou, on 11 April 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Why is gay rights making a wave through professional sports? A man's sexual orientation has nothing to do with the sport he plays. This bothers me so much. I look to sports to escape from politics and human/civil rights and yet that's exactly what we're getting into.

Well, if you're a cynic the NHL has "Seen the writing on the wall" (that gay equality will happen eventually) and wanted to get some press out of it. If you're not a cynic, the NHL and NHLPA decided that it was important enough to say something about it. There's often a certain amount of politics in sports (National anthems and flags flying that don't represent all the players, etc.), so I don't see this as a big deal.

#10 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

A decade ago: http://www.thedailys...03/puck-buddies

#11 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 11 April 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

:lol:

I think the NHL needs to hire Dan Woog, Gay Sports Expert.

#12 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Even John Scott outscored me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostDoohickie, on 11 April 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Why did you put "homophobia" in quotes, like it's "a thing"?

Because I wasn't sure if that word would be an appropriate description.

PTR

#13 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

because male sports are a fairly large area where you can or could be very biased and hateful of gay people. Look at that cornerback for the 49ers around super bowl time. I agree with you that I like my sports to be seperate from politics and human/civil rights. But the sad fact is they have always been linked even if we never noticed them before.

#14 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

42 opens on April 15, I think.  Give it a look.

It's not much of a stretch from the "I'm not going to play a n*****" (as in, I'm afraid of losing to a n*****) mentality of the 40s-60s to the "I'm not going to play a f*****" mentality that MAY be with some athletes today.  The really neat thing, is, IMO, there are more athletes open to the idea today.  But it's going to take one courageous dude to unmask himself.

Edited by Eleven, 11 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#15 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

a gay jackie robinson? :angel:

#16 Grumpy

Grumpy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Play to win, work your a$$ off and love who you like.  I really don't give a shite, nor do I need to see a sports league get involved in social issues.  They have enough trouble running their own business.  How many lockouts in how many years?

#17 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hey Darcy......You Can Play!!!

#18 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Will we be required to declare our sexual orientation before being allowed to purchase tickets next season?

#19 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 11 April 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Will we be required to declare our sexual orientation before being allowed to purchase tickets next season?

People are going to be purchasing tickets next season? :devil:

#20 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 11 April 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

People are going to be purchasing tickets next season? :devil:
Posted Image

#21 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Of course it doesn't but ignorant people don't know that.  Sports isn't devoid of politics nor human/civil rights.  Perhaps in the US it's a bit less understated but there are plenty of articles from across the pond where racism still occurs.  Point is, an intelligent person knows that the entire point is irrelevant and struggles to understand why any of it matters but the world is plagued by ignorance and so this kind of stuff is needed.  He;;, it's only a few years back where black players and those of Inuit heritage faced ignorant remarks from their own.

It seems that politically the "gay/lesbian" thing has finally achieved enough traction in the public that organizations, politicians, etc. now feel it's okay to support it.  In a way it makes me sad because it signifies not so much an understanding as it does a calculated decision.  The right decision should be made always, even in the face of overwhelming pressure, but most don't have that kind of courage.  Still, in the end, the march towards the right decision does continue, even if people are doing it for political/marketing reasons more than enlightenment.

#22 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostLTS, on 11 April 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Of course it doesn't but ignorant people don't know that.  Sports isn't devoid of politics nor human/civil rights.  Perhaps in the US it's a bit less understated but there are plenty of articles from across the pond where racism still occurs.  Point is, an intelligent person knows that the entire point is irrelevant and struggles to understand why any of it matters but the world is plagued by ignorance and so this kind of stuff is needed.  He;;, it's only a few years back where black players and those of Inuit heritage faced ignorant remarks from their own.

It seems that politically the "gay/lesbian" thing has finally achieved enough traction in the public that organizations, politicians, etc. now feel it's okay to support it.  In a way it makes me sad because it signifies not so much an understanding as it does a calculated decision.  The right decision should be made always, even in the face of overwhelming pressure, but most don't have that kind of courage.  Still, in the end, the march towards the right decision does continue, even if people are doing it for political/marketing reasons more than enlightenment.

Agreed.  Bigots aren't going to cease being bigots because Sidney Crosby tells them not to be.

#23 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Even John Scott outscored me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 12 April 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Agreed.  Bigots aren't going to cease being bigots because Sidney Crosby tells them not to be.
That's not entirely true. Public figures do have an effect on popular opinion. Maybe not overnight but over time.

PTR

#24 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 12 April 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

That's not entirely true. Public figures do have an effect on popular opinion. Maybe not overnight but over time.

PTR

I think he was referring specifically to Sidney Crosby, not public figures in general.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 12 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#25 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

PTR

I'm not so sure, as LTS was saying this seems like a cheap marketing stunt given that it's now "safer" for the NHL to come out and support an initiative like this.  The heavy lifting has already largely been done on this issue of the past 15-20 years.  I'm talking about true bigotry, not people that really don't care one way or the other.

#26 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

PTR

Just because somebody says they're no longer a bigot doesn't actually mean they're no longer a bigot. Changing public opinion and changing the public are two different things: the former takes a big enough social movement, the latter tends to rely on generational replacement.

#27 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 12 April 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Just because somebody says they're no longer a bigot doesn't actually mean they're no longer a bigot. Changing public opinion and changing the public are two different things: the former takes a big enough social movement, the latter tends to rely on generational replacement.

So, extended lifespans and the increase in the average age of first time mothers actually work in favor of all forms of bigotry remaining a part of our culture.

#28 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 12 April 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

So, extended lifespans and the increase in the average age of first time mothers actually work in favor of all forms of bigotry remaining a part of our culture.

That's deep man.  Damn health care reform and planned parenthood are slowing progress.

#29 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 12 April 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

That's deep man.  Damn health care reform and planned parenthood are slowing progress.

Tools of the Illuminati!

#30 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 12 April 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm not so sure, as LTS was saying this seems like a cheap marketing stunt given that it's now "safer" for the NHL to come out and support an initiative like this.  The heavy lifting has already largely been done on this issue of the past 15-20 years.  I'm talking about true bigotry, not people that really don't care one way or the other.

I wonder if the NHL is trying to get out front of the issue with rumblings that a wave of NFL players might come out this summer.

It's all good though. There's nothing not to like about it.

Two thought-provokers: what is SabreSpace's record on the subject? We've all made Derek Roy jokes. And what does Terry think about all this? He's Republican true and true.

#31 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

Reluctantly embraces The Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

So the idea is to be kinder to 'soft' hockey players and coaches?  :lol:

#32 LTS

LTS

Who's next?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 12 April 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm not sure I'd call it a cheap marketing stunt but it's certainly calculated.  The NHL could have supported this movement at any time up until now.  The fact they are doing it is great.  It takes true pioneers to stand in the face of overwhelming public opinion to make a change where ignorance has dominated.  I welcome the openly gay athletes just so we can get it through our system and move on.  Being gay, being black, being white, being female.. whatever.

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 April 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

I wonder if the NHL is trying to get out front of the issue with rumblings that a wave of NFL players might come out this summer.

It's all good though. There's nothing not to like about it.

Two thought-provokers: what is SabreSpace's record on the subject? We've all made Derek Roy jokes. And what does Terry think about all this? He's Republican true and true.

It really depends on the intent of the joke.  If you really believe all gay men are effeminate then you are an idiot.  I've been out with a gay guy before who commented on an effeminate heterosexual male.  Told him to stop being a bitch and toughen up.  I wouldn't mess with that guy, he'd certainly kick my butt.  Personally I've no problem with jokes.  I'm confident in who I am and am realistic about my appearance, attitudes, etc.  So, I've been called all kinds of things before and it doesn't bother me in the least.  The biggest problem anyone can have is to give credence to the ignorant person who believes that you are deficient just because of a certain trait.  I mean, facts are still facts, and a 450lb person is not going to have a 48" vertical.  I realize that in some cases there is physical harm that can come along with having certain traits and that is very real.  However, the physical harm piece isn't going to happen here and I'm pretty sure if someone on this board made a comment that threatened a person physically they'd be torn down by the community and booted from the board.  I would hope anyway.  I know I'd block them.

#33 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

For the record I am not gay.  I have many friends who are and fully support and advocate for their rights and condemn against every kind of prejudice at all times.  I do find many men very attractive, as I do many women.  I don't want to have sex with any of them. (Can I say that?  Oh, well.  I just did).

Anyway, I so long for the day when these types of programs / initiatives are no longer news worthy.  By no longer news worthy, I mean no longer required.

#34 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 12 April 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Anyway, I so long for the day when these types of programs / initiatives are no longer news worthy.  By no longer news worthy, I mean no longer required.

I am with you on this.  I too have gay friends and family members, and I fully support them and have no major issues with who they are.  Except one, and I've had discussions with many of them about this.  You don't hear this as much as you used to but a rallying cry around the gay community was/is "don't define me by my sexuality".  I heard my gay friends and family say this a lot, while at the same time being involved in organizations that did exactly that, define them by their sexuality. The gay men's hockey team video above was a great satire piece, but I've known my gay friends to belong to gay organizations or clubs, organizations that overtly define themselves by the sexual orientation of their membership.  You can't have it both ways.

Oh, and I've never found another man to be attractive. I think that we are all disgusting.  Frankly, I consider it a miracle that women can be attracted to us even a little bit.  :nana:

#35 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm happy this thread went in the direction I was hoping it would.

I'm straight and I played in and helped manage a large non-profit LGBTQA hockey league in the midwest.  Before I had joined, my initial thought was "what the hell does it matter what sexual orientation or gender identity you take when you're on the ice?" I played, coached, and volunteered in that league for years, and I continue to play on LGBTQA teams and in LGBTQA-friendly tournaments today.  My rational open-mindedness and willingness to embrace cultures different than my own helped develop me into the accepting person I am today.  And that's all a bonus on top of making many, many friends and playing lots and lots of fun hockey.

With respect to hockey, bigotry shouldn't be part of the game, before, during, or after the whistles.  But not everyone is like me and I can't expect them to be, which is why I think it's important to have places that are safe for everyone to play in addition to participating in advocacy projects like You Can Play, at least for the next few years.  (I'm in a You Can Play video on their site somewhere, btw)

You can question the NHL's timing if you like, but You Can Play is a relatively new organization that carries an important message, and I'm glad the NHL has partnered with them.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 12 April 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#36 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

:clapping: for IKnow. Awesome.

Certain things will be tough to get out of the hockey culture. For example, when Ott leaned in before licking the visor, I bet dollars to donuts there was something said of a homophobic nature.

#37 cdexchange

cdexchange

www.DiscsForDogs.org

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 12 April 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Oh, and I've never found another man to be attractive. I think that we are all disgusting.  Frankly, I consider it a miracle that women can be attracted to us even a little bit.  :nana:

This, lol.  Also, I'm just sitting here thinking about how great it would be if the first NHL player who "came out" was Crosby or some other superstar, or some NFL superstar like a top-tier QB.  It would just make the whole conversation that much more interesting than if it turns out to be a fringe player.

Also, I just want to express my hope that Crosschecking or someone of his ilk doesn't completely derail this thread.  It's a very interesting topic and I hope this thread doesn't turn ridiculous.

#38 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,530 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

For those who deny finding another man attractive...

Attached File  111221040514_Marcus Foligno.jpg   21.33K   3 downloads

#39 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 April 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Attachment 111221040514_Marcus Foligno.jpg

He's a cutie, alright.  Must take after his mother.

#40 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 April 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

:clapping: for IKnow. Awesome.

Gracias.

View PostPASabreFan, on 12 April 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Attachment 111221040514_Marcus Foligno.jpg
Ha!

Posted Image

If you guessed Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift with switched faces, you're a winner!