PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Two-hour lunch with John Vogl.

Well, there goes Ted Black again.

Sabres better off than they were two years ago.

Rebuilding plan is based on being right more often than wrong in finding "impact players" in the draft through 2015.

Darcy's moves under Pegula have improved the Sabres.

Increasing number of empty seats in the arena is the result of kids getting sick — I won't take that quite so literally; let's say he thinks it's the result of life situations, not the patrons thinking the product isn't worth showing up for.

The boos the other night were literally for the team getting pinned in its own end, not any disgruntlement with the state of the franchise. "If it's deeper than that, we'll find out."

Can it get any deeper with this guy? He's delusional. (And you know it's going to be bad when the nuclear option is brought out: taking Vogl to lunch to edumacate the masses.)

http://www.buffalone...PORTS/130419803

#2 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 April 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Well, there goes Ted Black again.

Sabres better off than they were two years ago.

Rebuilding plan is based on being right more often than wrong in finding "impact players" in the draft through 2015.

Darcy's moves under Pegula have improved the Sabres.

http://www.buffalone...PORTS/130419803

Beginning to sound like Darcy is here to stay. If things are better, which they're not, why get rid of the GM?

#3 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

“That’s a total of 14 top-60 picks,” Black said of the current stockpile. “We need to be right more often than we’re wrong. In that case, we’ll have eight players that will be impact players. That’s better than a third of your roster.”

“My opinion of Darcy is based on my work history with him, which is two years,” Black said. “That’s how I judge him. I think the opportunities that he’s had, whether it be through free agency to the trade deadlines and the draft, I think he has done well in each of those instances.”

Strap yourselves in everybody.

I like Ted, but man, oh man, do we really need a *hockey guy* in here to run the hockey department.

And that photo of him at the start of the linked article ... used car salesman.  I'm not buyin' what he's sellin'.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 11 April 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#4 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Y'know, for a 2-hour lunch, I would've expected many more quotes from TB and much less factual background/implicit editorializing in the article.

#5 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I love how "we have 14 top 60 picks over 3 years.....that will get us 8 Impact Players!"

Ok Ted......let's take a look at Darcy's draft record with top 60 players....although you want no part of it because it happened before Uncle Terry took over.

Mika Noronen
Henrik Tallinder
Dimitri Kalinin
Andrew Peters
Norm Milley
Jaroslav Kristik
Barret Heisten
Milan Bartovic
Doug Janik
Artem Kryukov
Gerard Dicaire
Jiri Novotny
Derek Roy
Chris Thorburn
Jason Pominville
Keith Ballard
Dan Paille
Thomas Vanek
Drew Stafford
Michael Funk
Marek Zagrapen
Phillip Gogulla
Dennis Perrson
Jhonas Enroth
Mike Weber
TJ Brennan
Drew Scheistel
Tyler Myers
Tyler Ennis
Luke Adam
Zack Kassian
Mark Pysyk
Joel Armia
Mikhail Grigorenko
Zemgus Girgensons
Jake McCabe

36 players......ok, so who are the "IMPACT" players on that list?

Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Stafford????

Myers, Ennis?

If those are the IMPACT players Darcy has worked his top 60 picks magic on over the years....that was just the Core of your team that has failed to win a playoff series the past 6 years and Darcy believing so much in his draft picks is what has us in this mess to begin with.

Add in Enroth, Adam, Kassian, Brennan, Weber, Grigorenko.........now you have 10 of your starting 23 players on opening night this year for the Sabres and almost 50% of your salary cap.

Who else was decent?

Tallinder, Kalinin, Thorburn, Ballard, Paille?

This is over 15 Years! Where are the IMPACT players?

Again, the best arguement for "building your team" this way with Darcy at the lead,  is your failed core from the past 6 seasons......

15 years.....

There's your list.

#6 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 11 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I like Ted, but man, oh man, do we really need a *hockey guy* in here to run the hockey department.

I like Ted too, but Ted's not a hockey guy.  Ted's a fan-friendly PR guy trying to explain what the hockey guys are up to and what the ownership thinks.

I don't know why he's defending the attendance thing or the booing thing, he could just say the team needs to be better and they're trying to be better, which is something we all know to be true.

I do admire that he confessed that they thought they had the quick free agent fix for the roster that then backfired.  A truly snidely PR guy could try to spin that all sorts of weird ways.  I believe what he says about the next steps- they're going to try to assemble a few stellar draft classes in an attempt to build a longer-standing and more robust position of competitiveness.  But it's because of this that I think (and some will hate this) that Darcy's in for the long haul because they think during this ownership's tenure, he's been mostly successful with drafting and trades.

#7 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

What a disappointment.  For all of the times he has insisted he "gets it", he is, indeed, way off the mark and is proving to everyone he does not get it at all.

Edited by sizzlemeister, 11 April 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#8 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Here's another question about that article:  why was there no question as to whether DR would be back next year?

#9 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 11 April 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

15 years.....

For better or worse, this argument has always been invalid with this ownership group.

“My opinion of Darcy is based on my work history with him, which is two years,” Black said. “That’s how I judge him. I think the opportunities that he’s had, whether it be through free agency to the trade deadlines and the draft, I think he has done well in each of those instances.

#10 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Postnfreeman, on 11 April 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Here's another question about that article:  why was there no question as to whether DR would be back next year?

While that question may not have been asked directly, the answer is in there.

Darcy isn't going anywhere, or so it seems.

#11 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 11 April 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

While that question may not have been asked directly, the answer is in there.

Darcy isn't going anywhere, or so it seems.

Just like Lindy Ain't goin nowhere. I can't believe anyone anymore

#12 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 11 April 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

I love how "we have 14 top 60 picks over 3 years.....that will get us 8 Impact Players!"

Ok Ted......let's take a look at Darcy's draft record with top 60 players....although you want no part of it because it happened before Uncle Terry took over.

Mika Noronen
Henrik Tallinder
Dimitri Kalinin
Andrew Peters
Norm Milley
Jaroslav Kristik
Barret Heisten
Milan Bartovic
Doug Janik
Artem Kryukov
Gerard Dicaire
Jiri Novotny
Derek Roy
Chris Thorburn
Jason Pominville
Keith Ballard
Dan Paille
Thomas Vanek
Drew Stafford
Michael Funk
Marek Zagrapen
Phillip Gogulla
Dennis Perrson
Jhonas Enroth
Mike Weber
TJ Brennan
Drew Scheistel
Tyler Myers
Tyler Ennis
Luke Adam
Zack Kassian
Mark Pysyk
Joel Armia
Mikhail Grigorenko
Zemgus Girgensons
Jake McCabe

36 players......ok, so who are the "IMPACT" players on that list?

Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Stafford????

Myers, Ennis?

If those are the IMPACT players Darcy has worked his top 60 picks magic on over the years....that was just the Core of your team that has failed to win a playoff series the past 6 years and Darcy believing so much in his draft picks is what has us in this mess to begin with.

Add in Enroth, Adam, Kassian, Brennan, Weber, Grigorenko.........now you have 10 of your starting 23 players on opening night this year for the Sabres and almost 50% of your salary cap.

Who else was decent?

Tallinder, Kalinin, Thorburn, Ballard, Paille?

This is over 15 Years! Where are the IMPACT players?

Again, the best arguement for "building your team" this way with Darcy at the lead,  is your failed core from the past 6 seasons......

15 years.....

There's your list.

I hate to say this. But that actually isn't bad drafting. There's about 20 players there that have played a season in the NHL.
And some yet may, so that's pretty good work.

The hit rate isn't bad as far as finding NHL players go.
Once you get out of the top 15 to 20 picks, the hit rate goes down dramatically.

No atta'boys for Darcy as far as "impact" , but they have been beating NHL percentages in terms of finding players.

Edited by X. Benedict, 11 April 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#13 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I suspect that "impact players" means players that have an impact on the team, ie. significant ice time and roles.  In other words, yes Mike Weber is an impact player.  And so was Andrew Peters.

#14 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 11 April 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

I hate to say this. But that actually isn't bad drafting. There's about 20 players there that have played a season in the NHL.

Once you get out of the top 15 to 20 picks, the hit rate goes down dramatically.

No atta'boys for Darcy as far as "impact" , but they have been beating NHL percentages in terms of finding players.

Party pooper ... :P

#15 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 11 April 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Party pooper ... :P
(that's why I hated to say it).

anyway....I think Darcy's problems extend beyond the draft. It is nice to have picks, but failing to address center ice until the last draft was a huge organizational weakness that wasn't addressed with trades, free agency, or even promoting assets.

This season was lost before it was started.

If Ennis is the plan at center - (I only want to see him at wing and on the PP) we are in for some long years.

That this was a short season was a saving grace of some sorts.

#16 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostIKnowPhysics, on 11 April 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

[/size]

For better or worse, this argument has always been invalid with this ownership group.

But the Master Plan as we are told is now to build through the draft.

We are also told that we will get "8 Impact Players" in 3 years of 14, top 60 picks.

Questions? How was it determined that building through the draft is the best plan? What defines an Impact Player? What makes you think you can get a 60% strike rate on Impact players?

These can be asked with any GM at the helm.

Even if you can answer those questions, the next set becomes....Darcy has had 36 top picks, 30 of them going back to 2009 and previous. Less than half of them have put together a total of 3 NHL seasons. How is his strike rate going to improve on finding NHL quality players, let alone Impact Players?

#17 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,885 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

If Ted doesn't understand why fans are booing then he is failing at the sole objective of his job.

#18 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

But Ted Black just said the way to build the team is through the draft and finding impact players in the top 60 picks.

I just showed that in Darcy's 15 years of drafting, his Impact Players are the guys that have us at the bottom of the league, and fans begging to get rid of them all after 6 years of Darcy trusting them....and the mysery that evolved.

This is Ted Black's plan and quote......not mine.

There is a track record there.

He just contradicted the Sabres own master plan.

#19 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 11 April 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

But the Master Plan as we are told is now to build through the draft.

We are also told that we will get "8 Impact Players" in 3 years of 14, top 60 picks.

Questions? How was it determined that building through the draft is the best plan? What defines an Impact Player? What makes you think you can get a 60% strike rate on Impact players?

These can be asked with any GM at the helm.

Even if you can answer those questions, the next set becomes....Darcy has had 36 top picks, 30 of them going back to 2009 and previous. Less than half of them have put together a total of 3 NHL seasons. How is his strike rate going to improve on finding NHL quality players, let alone Impact Players?

You never know. Either way....if you are talking 3 drafts out, you are talking 6 years out for players making impacts.....so we have an extended timeline. I'm not necessarily against it, but I'm not sure I'm that patient anymore.

I've liked Darcy's trades, sure. He seems more active than in the past. But does it really take 5 years to address organizational weakness.  (Hodgson, Larsson, and Zemgus, and Grigs are a start).

I'd still like to have a guy like Duds shaping the roster instead.

#20 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Not to mention that in that list we have one top ten pick (Vanek). It's worth repeating: your chances are a lot better the higher you draft.

#21 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

And I'm not knocking Darcy's drafting ability to find NHL capable players.....I just want to know what internal discussion went on to come up with this Master Plan? Of course none of the questions I just asked were posed to Ted Black, but it is a pretty damning case to be made against it.

The best leaders we have seen the past 15 years have all come from outside of the organisation. Darcy loved his draft picks so much that pretty much every leader we have had has left under murky circumstances. He handed the baton to The Core, and we are pretty much the most dysfunctional we have been in decades.....and that includes Owners going to jail, bankruptcy, coaches/players/wives swinging, Jennifer Smith, Jean Knox, Larry Quinn, Gary Bettman....you name it, I can't recall just laughing at the trainwreck so much as I am now.

I really thought Ted Black was sharper than he has shown.

They almost have to go make a Terrel Owens type of move, because the fans frustration has to be reaching critical mass regarding season ticket sales.....

View PostRobviously, on 11 April 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Not to mention that in that list we have one top ten pick (Vanek). It's worth repeating: your chances are a lot better the higher you draft.

OK....so then how is the Sabres' Master Plan relevant? How will it become reality?

If they trade up, your 14 picks become 3 or 4 picks.....50% gets you 2 guys of impact. If it's Crosby and Malkin, great.....if it's Jason Bonsignore......good luck with that.....

#22 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

#23 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 11 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

You never know. Either way....if you are talking 3 drafts out, you are talking 6 years out for players making impacts.....so we have an extended timeline. I'm not necessarily against it, but I'm not sure I'm that patient anymore.

I've liked Darcy's trades, sure. He seems more active than in the past. But does it really take 5 years to address organizational weakness.  (Hodgson, Larsson, and Zemgus, and Grigs are a start).

I'd still like to have a guy like Duds shaping the roster instead.
Most people have liked the trades as far as what they are.  But as you are very well aware, the issue most have here with him isn't so much the trades he makes but the opportunity costs of hanging on so long to 'win' the trade.  (That wasn't worded quite the way I wanted, sorry.)

We'll never know for sure on the what if's, but as a hypothetical example if a trade for Stafford for an early 2nd (in this year's or last year's draft) was available and they end up getting a late 1st for him in next year's draft are the 10 or so slots that they gain worth the additional time it will take that guy to develop.

I'd be fine w/ trying Duds for a while.  But I really don't expect to see DR gone until at least the next off-season.

#24 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 11 April 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

And that's the news from Boca Raton.

#25 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

And that's the news from Boca Raton.

I've never met someone who hated Florida so much.

Did Mickey pee in your Wheat Bran or something?

#26 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postbillsrcursed, on 11 April 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I've never met someone who hated Florida so much.

Did Mickey pee in your Wheat Bran or something?

I hate Florida? Since when?

#27 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 11 April 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

If Ted doesn't understand why fans are booing then he is failing at the sole objective of his job.
Well, there's an entire thread hashed out on that topic over here, but nothing was really determined besides the team isn't good.

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 11 April 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

If they trade up, your 14 picks become 3 or 4 picks.....50% gets you 2 guys of impact. If it's Crosby and Malkin, great.....if it's Jason Bonsignore......good luck with that.....
Nah, if you trade up, your 14 mid-round picks become closer to 6 or 7 better picks.  And if you check out the drafts since 2008, it really doesn't look like there's many busts in the top 5.  It's been said before; the top 1st rounders have been a lot less dicey lately than the middle ten.  Call it two busts, two workable guys, two legitimately very good guys, and maybe an all star.  Add those guys to the good prospects already in place that develop properly, and that's about half your team.  Add the current veterans you wanted to keep, and that's most of your team.  Then tack on a couple of free agent veterans to fill needs.

I think that if we're willfully going into full rebuild mode, I trust Darcy to use his rapier-like (rapiest?) trading prowess to move out the ###### pieces in good trades for lots of draft pick bounty or quality prospects.  And then I mostly trust him to draft well.  Ehrhoff excluded,  his free agent signings need work, though- he has the ability to land the ones he wants, but the once they've landed, they seem like they don't fit.  Maybe that improves.  Maybe it doesn't.  Maybe it's the players.  Maybe it's him.

#28 gomper

gomper

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Should have taken Sully out to lunch lol.....now that would have been a fun read.

#29 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

View PostPASabreFan, on 11 April 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I hate Florida? Since when?

Educated guess... off and on for 5 years.

Am I way off?? My memory is leading me to believe this isn't your first dig on the state. I thought we'd discussed it before, could be wrong though.

#30 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Well, Mickey has been known to fall off the wagon on occassion. It's usually during summer break.

#31 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Darcy's drafting from 2005-2007 is absolutely the reason we suck right now. You can't go 3 straight drafts with NOTHING to show for your picks.

Chris ###### Butler is the most seasoned player drafted during that time. 53 goals scored by the 23 players drafted in those years, 27 of them by a hard working dwarf.

It's not the trades, it's the three years where they might as well have traded all their picks for a ###### in the Baltimore st parking lot after the game.

Was this the time of "alternate scouting methods"? Why were these drafts so much worse than all his other drafts. what was different?

#32 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 11 April 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Darcy's drafting from 2005-2007 is absolutely the reason we suck right now. You can't go 3 straight drafts with NOTHING to show for your picks.

Chris ###### Butler is the most seasoned player drafted during that time. 53 goals scored by the 23 players drafted in those years, 27 of them by a hard working dwarf.

It's not the trades, it's the three years where they might as well have traded all their picks for a ###### in the Baltimore st parking lot after the game.

Was this the time of "alternate scouting methods"? Why were these drafts so much worse than all his other drafts. what was different?
Those were pretty awful draft classes though.  Not a ton of players outside of the first half of the first round that I'd be super excited about, and we didn't even have a first rounder in 2007.

The big miss is Lucic, and we definitely don't look at players like that enough when we draft.

#33 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Even when he went on a roll over a few years:

Derek Roy
Chris Thorburn
Jason Pominville
Keith Ballard
Dan Paille
Thomas Vanek
Drew Stafford

What stands out?

He hitched his wagon to his draft picks....and last year handed $22 million in salary to those 4 letter wearers. For any good he did in drafting talented players, he offset that by building AROUND them, and having them lead the team. He also overpaid them because they were HIS picks and he believed in them.

Again....if the Master Plan is to have Darcy build through the draft, it is flawed on so many levels. 1) You need to have enough high picks 2) You need to have a better than average strike rate 3) You need to identify leaders that can be part of your team long term 4) You have to know when to sink more money into a guy or when to reward yourself for a nice pick and ship the guy out for assets before you get stuck with him

Darcy has failed miserably in both #3 and #4

Again, name 1 organic leader with top 6 forward talent or top D pairing  talent that was drafted by Darcy in ANY ROUND and was developed under the watch of the Buffalo Sabres the past 16 years....

You Can't

It looks like the plan to get out of the hole is to hand out more shovels to the biggest digger of them all.........

#34 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

The 2005 draft overall was very weak. It was very top heavy. Only 14 players from the 2005 draft have scored 50+ goals compared to 21 from the 2006 draft.

#35 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 11 April 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Even when he went on a roll over a few years:

Derek Roy
Chris Thorburn
Jason Pominville
Keith Ballard
Dan Paille
Thomas Vanek
Drew Stafford

What stands out?

He hitched his wagon to his draft picks....and last year handed $22 million in salary to those 4 letter wearers. For any good he did in drafting talented players, he offset that by building AROUND them, and having them lead the team. He also overpaid them because they were HIS picks and he believed in them.

Again....if the Master Plan is to have Darcy build through the draft, it is flawed on so many levels. 1) You need to have enough high picks 2) You need to have a better than average strike rate 3) You need to identify leaders that can be part of your team long term 4) You have to know when to sink more money into a guy or when to reward yourself for a nice pick and ship the guy out for assets before you get stuck with him

Darcy has failed miserably in both #3 and #4

Again, name 1 organic leader with top 6 forward talent or top D pairing  talent that was drafted by Darcy in ANY ROUND and was developed under the watch of the Buffalo Sabres the past 16 years....

You Can't

It looks like the plan to get out of the hole is to hand out more shovels to the biggest digger of them all.........

Didn't Ballard become Drury? Doesn't that score some points in category #4

View PostJJFIVEOH, on 11 April 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

The 2005 draft overall was very weak. It was very top heavy. Only 14 players from the 2005 draft have scored 50+ goals compared to 21 from the 2006 draft.

It's not just that he didn't draft stars, he barely drafted serviceable players.

#36 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think GCOE has come over from the dark side and LPF must be tending to kittens on the Wild message board.

I'm gonna have to take a peak over there and see if I can find him.

#37 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 11 April 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

I think GCOE has come over from the dark side and LPF must be tending to kittens on the Wild message board.

I'm gonna have to take a peak over there and see if I can find him.

Check out the scoreboard watching thread. I'm tending the kittens there. Darcy's drafting 2005-2007 is a terrible outlier to his long career, I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong.

So i did a little googling, Jim Benning left as director of Amateur Scouting in 2004. That might be the primary cause. He is currently the Assistant GM of the Bruins. What he did there was put his name on the Cup.

Could he be our next GM?

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion, 11 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#38 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

View Postbillsrcursed, on 11 April 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Educated guess... off and on for 5 years.

Am I way off?? My memory is leading me to believe this isn't your first dig on the state. I thought we'd discussed it before, could be wrong though.

I couldn't live there, but I can't say I hate it. Visiting is fun if it's the right time of year. I suspect you're thinking of someone else, but I've taken shots at so many people and places, I've probably forgotten.

#39 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have this nightmare about DR handing out the extra 2nd round picks they have accumulated like candy, to move up a few picks in a given round, just to say "see how smart we are".  At that point(middle of the first round and beyond), the draft is such a crapshoot, either use the picks in a trade package for a player, or stay where you are and pick wisely!

It is critical for this franchise to send DR packing as soon as this season is over.  His screw ups in terms of BUILDING A TEAM, far outweigh all the trades he has "won", or the "brilliant" picks he has made.

Edited by LabattBlue, 11 April 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#40 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 11 April 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Didn't Ballard become Drury? Doesn't that score some points in category #4

No -- it was Rhett Warrener, who was McKee's partner for a couple of years and a pretty good defenseman.

View PostGlass Case Of Emotion, on 11 April 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Check out the scoreboard watching thread. I'm tending the kittens there. Darcy's drafting 2005-2007 is a terrible outlier to his long career, I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong.

So i did a little googling, Jim Benning left as director of Amateur Scouting in 2004. That might be the primary cause. He is currently the Assistant GM of the Bruins. What he did there was put his name on the Cup.

Could he be our next GM?

Please please please...