309 replies to this topic

#1 Hank

Hank

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Called the fans ridiculous for booing in the jersey game.

How many of you mouse potatoes need some vagisil?

#2 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

He's right.  The truth hurts eh Buffalo?

#3 Hank

Hank

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Damn right he's right!

#4 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,581 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

You would think that ol Stevie could figure it out. Love his game but these guys continue to insert foot in mouth. IMO the fans are booing management for the product they've been putting on the ice. Suck it up boys.

#5 Peppy22

Peppy22

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Truer words have never been spoken

#6 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostHank, on 09 April 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Called the fans ridiculous for booing in the jersey game.

How many of you mouse potatoes need some vagisil?

Isn't Steve the one that needs the vagisil?

#7 Hank

Hank

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 April 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Isn't Steve the one that needs the vagisil?

No.

#8 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 09 April 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

You would think that ol Stevie could figure it out. Love his game but these guys continue to insert foot in mouth. IMO the fans are booing management for the product they've been putting on the ice. Suck it up boys.

Hockey is also a game where the on-ice effort/product is often non-indicative of the score.  In the Devils game, the defense got hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time and the team surrendered yet another shorthanded goal.  Whether or not the score was tied, whether or not they picked up a well-needed 2 points, that ain't quality hockey.

Allow a short handed goal and you should expect booing, unless you're up 6-1 or something.

#9 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I didn't see the game and I really love what Steve Ott brings, but he's dead wrong on this.  It's part of what comes with being a professional athlete. Suck it up.

#10 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

While I would like to see the fans cheer the team on earlier in the game before things go bad; if the team deserves booing then boo away.

I wonder if part of it is the fact that a lot of the people that go to the game are not purely Sabres fans since you see so many games where it seems like the opposing teams jersey is on display as much as the Sabres.

#11 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostHank, on 09 April 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

No.

My guess is that at some point in his life, Ott has complained about a product he paid for that ended up being low quality. Now he's whining daily when fans complain about the lackluster product he's a part of. Yea, I'd say he needs some vagisil.

#12 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 09 April 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I didn't see the game and I really love what Steve Ott brings, but he's dead wrong on this.  It's part of what comes with being a professional athlete. Suck it up.

Perhaps it's because he played so long in Dallas?  I know they have some passionate fans, but if the Stars suck in those parts you can just switch over to see how the Rangers or mavericks are doing.

#13 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

People have commented quite often about the poor arena atmosphere  - is this causing the fans to act like they do?

Does anyone know how are the fans acting at Bandits games this year?  Their arena atmosphere has been a party event in the past - the team sucks this year; are the fans booing?

#14 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

View Postnobody, on 09 April 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

People have commented quite often about the poor arena atmosphere  - is this causing the fans to act like they do?

Does anyone know how are the fans acting at Bandits games this year?  Their arena atmosphere has been a party event in the past - the team sucks this year; are the fans booing?

It doesn't help that some nights 1/3rd of the F'NC is opposing fans.  Last game some of that booing, that started with Sabres fans, was quickly joined by opposing fans booing and making fun of the whole thing.

That offer of STH being able to buy more tix at STH prices backfired big time when it comes to being in your "own barn".

#15 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postnobody, on 09 April 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

The bandits fans were what you'd expect a home crowd to be.  On their feet, screaming, jumping up and down, VERY into the game.  

The Sabres have no one to blame but themselves.  The fans could tolerate a bunch of puss bags when thy were winning.  Take away the winning and still have the puss bags, apathy.  

The puss bags start playing like garbage (granted they don't have the talent to play much better), apathy turns into anger.

#16 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Even John Scott outscored me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 09 April 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Well your opinion would be wrong.  Fans are booing because the Sabres were caught in that downward spiral that cost us so many games this season.  When you see the same problem develop over and over, who wouldn't boo?  An NHL rink is 85ft wide.  A player can't find a hole to clear the puck?

PTR

#17 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Otter vs Harrington
Attached File  Otter.JPG   32.86K   161 downloads

#18 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 09 April 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well your opinion would be wrong.  Fans are booing because the Sabres were caught in that downward spiral that cost us so many games this season.  When you see the same problem develop over and over, who wouldn't boo?  An NHL rink is 85ft wide.  A player can't find a hole to clear the puck?

PTR

Right, but if you're a fan of a highly successful team who just happens to be having trouble clearing the puck, the response probably isn't jeering.  At worst, it's bemusement.  If you're a fan of a team that has a systemic problem clearing the puck because of how it's built, you boo.

#19 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,355 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Otter vs Harrington
Attachment Otter.JPG

It is a more interesting world now that the public voices aren't limited to those who buy ink by the barrel.

#20 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

The atmosphere in the FNA is probably the worst of any sport in any city that I've ever been to.  Usually the worst case scenario in other cities is apathy and empty seats.  The FNA is an arena full of fans who are pretty much there to be miserable and hate the team.

And, no, I don't put all the blame on the players and management.  The fans in Buffalo are responsible for their own crappy atmosphere.  Don't go to games just to pout and have temper tantrums.

#21 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I like Ott a lot, but there's no upside to his going on about this. None. If anything, he will reinforce the behavior.

I don't boo the team, but I accept that some people who choose to boo are doing so for reasons that are legitimate and rooted in nothing other than their ardent desire for a better Sabres hockey team.

It's not personal, Steve--most people who boo are booing because they care. A lot. It may seem misguided and counter-productive, but you're not going to change that behavior by calling it out as ridiculous and potentially painting Buffalo fans with a broader brush than is warranted.

View PostClaude_Verret, on 09 April 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I didn't see the game and I really love what Steve Ott brings, but he's dead wrong on this. It's part of what comes with being a professional athlete. Suck it up.

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 09 April 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well your opinion would be wrong. Fans are booing because the Sabres were caught in that downward spiral that cost us so many games this season. When you see the same problem develop over and over, who wouldn't boo? An NHL rink is 85ft wide. A player can't find a hole to clear the puck? PTR

Fair to say that a certain portion of fans at FNC are booing for a variety of reasons. IMO, the boos owe to some or all of the following factors (none of which are exclusive of the others): well-founded and dare I say thoughtful frustration with how the front office has mismanaged this roster; high expectations followed by middling results; years of a mediocre product on the ice and no imminent prospects for improvement; a GM who is arguably the root of the problem but appears not to be going anywhere (along with the team); frustrations that have built up over performances in several games; frustration with what is happening at that particular moment; arsehole/douchebag/drunken/lemming behavior.

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Otter vs Harrington

Chief among other reasons that I don't want Ott to continue to talk about this: He feeds a troll like Harrington.

#22 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostRobviously, on 09 April 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

The atmosphere in the FNA is probably the worst of any sport in any city that I've ever been to.  Usually the worst case scenario in other cities is apathy and empty seats.  The FNA is an arena full of fans who are pretty much there to be miserable and hate the team.

And, no, I don't put all the blame on the players and management.  The fans in Buffalo are responsible for their own crappy atmosphere.  Don't go to games just to pout and have temper tantrums.

Outside of a few games at the obvious end of a lame duck coach's tenure, Bills games are awesome even when they suck. I had Bandits tickets a few years ago and they were very mediocre, but the fans were awesome. It's not Buffalo fans, it's the Buffalo Sabres.

#23 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Fan are allowed to boo.

Players are allowed to not like and want fans' support.

Fans are allowed to withhold support.

#24 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I think Ott is just taking the lightning bolt for the team. Deflecting the criticism away from the younger players.

#25 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 09 April 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Outside of a few games at the obvious end of a lame duck coach's tenure, Bills games are awesome even when they suck. I had Bandits tickets a few years ago and they were very mediocre, but the fans were awesome. It's not Buffalo fans, it's the Buffalo Sabres.
Buffalo fans want all the credit in the world for being great fans, but it's never their fault if they create a crappy atmosphere and players notice?

I've never been to any other city where the fans fill the stadium just to hate the team.

#26 bcardona

bcardona

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

If Ott goes all "us against the world" "no one believes in us, let's show 'em boys" next, I'm gonna puke.  

This season can't end soon enough.

#27 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostRobviously, on 09 April 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Buffalo fans want all the credit in the world for being great fans, but it's never their fault if they create a crappy atmosphere and players notice?

I've never been to any other city where the fans fill the stadium just to hate the team.

That's a rather blanket statement.  The whiner line doesn't represent all fans.

#28 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Philadelphia

edit: If Ott tried to pull this in a place like Philly or NY he'd get lambasted.

Edited by Claude_Verret, 09 April 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#29 NowDoYouBelieve

NowDoYouBelieve

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

This is a club that had stated Stanley Cup aspirations and they currently hover just above a .400 winning % due to a 3-game streak.  Any home crowd would suck given those circumstances.  

#30 Patty16

Patty16

High motor grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 April 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I think it represents the worst of all Buffalo fans.

#31 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Oh no, but it should, don't you see?  It makes it so easy.

#32 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

The arena is silent for 90% of the game. Fans might not whine, but that is very little atmosphere. I think players would put up with booing if the alternative wasn't silence

#33 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

That's a situation that is definitely mirrored on this board.

#34 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Who's talking about the whiner line?  I'm talking about my experience in the arena this year versus every other sport event I've ever been to anywhere.

It's possible that some other places are this bad, but I guess I missed those.

View Postshrader, on 09 April 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

That's a situation that is definitely mirrored on this board.
You'd expect it on a message board though, not people leaving their home to attend an event (presumably to have fun).

#35 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Even John Scott outscored me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

The FNA is an arena full of fans who are pretty much there to be miserable and hate the team.
As opposed to this forum.

PTR

#36 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

The booing is passion.

Buffalo fans are the most passionate, not the most supportive.

There is a difference.

#37 dudacek

dudacek

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

The fans in Buffalo are responsible for their own crappy atmosphere.  Don't go to games just to pout and have temper tantrums.

Hell yeah. The fans are still pissed off that Pegula promised hockey heaven and failed.
But how many times have I heard "give us a team that hits and works hard and we'll get behind it?"
Well, post-Ruff the team hits and works hard and despite lack of talent they've won more than they've lost.
Has anybody noticed?

It really seems like the fans in the arena are there looking for reasons to boo and ignoring reasons to cheer.
On the ice we have a mix of mostly kids and AHLers, most of whom are giving it what little they've got.
The poster boy for this team lately is Kevin Porter, but the fans are still reacting like its Drew Stafford.

If you want to be miserable, fill your boots. There are lots of reasons to boo.
But it's also OK to cheer when there is something to cheer for. It's OK to move on.
The fanbase has turned into a bunch of Mike Harringtons and, right now, it's more tiresome than the Sabres themselves.

#38 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 09 April 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

It doesn't help that some nights 1/3rd of the F'NC is opposing fans.  Last game some of that booing, that started with Sabres fans, was quickly joined by opposing fans booing and making fun of the whole thing.

That offer of STH being able to buy more tix at STH prices backfired big time when it comes to being in your "own barn".

It's not a bad strategy for opposing fans.

I have no answer for this, but some how, some way, you'd think Ted Black and company could do something to discourage the secondary market. For one, why do they enable it through their web site? Then when the secondary market slips, you get empty seats or a ticket buyer who's disgruntled. Get the right people in the seats. Unfortunately, a lot of them are the fans who stand in the cold for parties in the plaza and they can't afford it. Which leads us to Terry's corporate welfare grab and higher ticket prices.

#39 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostPromoTheRobot, on 09 April 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

As opposed to this forum.

PTR
Internet message board =/= Live sporting event.

Thanks for playing.

#40 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Buffalo isn't a hard barn to play in.
It's a good atmosphere, but it certainly isn't loud...or the type of crowd that gives you more than the queens clap on the kill.

I wish it were otherwise, because Buffalo fans care intensely about their hockey, but to hear a crowd that is regularly buzzing, i think you have to go back a few years.

I'm not going to tell anyone they can't boo. Hell it's your right.
But I will say hearing it, especially when the team is tied or winning, really sucks.
It's like cheering for the other team.