GDT: Buffalo vs Ottawa (4/5/2013, 7:05pm)

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#1 Corp000085

Corp000085

Morris Titanic Fan Club, Charter Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

LETS GO BUFF-A-LO!!!

#2 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Can the Amerks make it two in a row?

#3 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,233 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

Every team that misses the playoffs shoudl take a close look at the Sens. The quality of players this team lost to injury would cripple most other teams. Here they are, over .500 and solidly in a playoff position.

#4 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

View Postdeluca67, on 05 April 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Every team that misses the playoffs shoudl take a close look at the Sens. The quality of players this team lost to injury would cripple most other teams. Here they are, over .500 and solidly in a playoff position.

I was listening to Sirius and they were talking about how 16 of the Sens are from their draft picks.  I forget the breakdown, but it was something like 6-1sts, 4-2nds, 1-3rds, 3-5ths, 2-6ths.  Those numbers are admittedly wrong, but you get the point.

#5 wyldnwoody44

wyldnwoody44

dont pee into the wind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

I wonder if we'll see a big drop with the 3 gone. I really doubt there will be much different. Except we'll prolly have 2 D men on the point on the PP In stead of poms.

I'd like to see Larsson up here, just because this season is tanked and I'd like to know what we have in him for a few games, any number of current roster players could have a seat for the switch.

Ottawa certainly has overcome adversity, while I don't think they're going to go far in the playoffs, they may win in the first round, I think it's a tough out for buffalo tonight, Ottawa wants to climb as high as possible while we dumped players and are, for all intents and purposes, out of the race.

At this point I'm watching because A. I'm a programmed, faithful, buffolonianB. It's fun to speculate about next year and C. I want to see why crazy combos happen under RR.

Cmon boys, do this rebuild right and get a top 3-5 pick, just make it fun while you do it.

#6 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Sorry for those attending the game, but here's hoping for a LOSS!

#7 OverPowerYou

OverPowerYou

And Ottawa Must BE Destroyed...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostLabattBlue, on 05 April 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Sorry for those attending the game, but here's hoping for a LOSS!

We need to root for exciting 6-5 losses every game

#8 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I don't mean this sarcastically, and I understand the logic behind getting a top 3 pick, but I'm curious;

Do those who hope we lose actually watch the games? Like, do you root for the other teams to beat us DURING the game, or do you simply not tune in?

#9 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

View Postbillsrcursed, on 05 April 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

I don't mean this sarcastically, and I understand the logic behind getting a top 3 pick, but I'm curious;

Do those who hope we lose actually watch the games? Like, do you root for the other teams to beat us DURING the game, or do you simply not tune in?
I watch the game and root for us to win but I am happy when we lose.  Rational Loss Theory - Losing now means we will be better later.

#10 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm not rational then.  I always want my team to magically pull it out and win somehow.

#11 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Pens game was the only game in the last week where I found myself wanting them to win. Seeing what the Rangers did to them now changes my mind on that one. Normally, I am glued to the tv but now, I will have it as background noise. It would be impossible for me to watch and hope for a loss. Having said that, they better lose enough to get a top 4 pick.

#12 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostOverPowerYou, on 05 April 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

We need to root for exciting 6-5 losses every game
7 - 5 w/ the 7th being an empty netter are better.  No chance of picking up the OT loser point. ;)

View PostCallawaySabres, on 05 April 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Pens game was the only game in the last week where I found myself wanting them to win. Seeing what the Rangers did to them now changes my mind on that one. Normally, I am glued to the tv but now, I will have it as background noise. It would be impossible for me to watch and hope for a loss. Having said that, they better lose enough to get a top 4 pick.
I definitely wanted the Sabres to end the Pens' streak.  Other than that one, I've been pretty numb watching them play.  Devils game on Sunday will be a weird one; I'll be at that one but don't really want to go to it.  I'm expecting the building to be even quieter than it's been this year.  I'll be rooting for the win at the game, but if it goes against the boys in blue I won't be too upset.

#13 ROC Sabres

ROC Sabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 05 April 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'm not rational then.  I always want my team to magically pull it out and win somehow.
Sounds like something Miller would do after hanging out with Charlie Sheen so much.

#14 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

I watch almost all games, and yes, during the games I am hoping the Sabres lose in hope that they end up with a top 3 pick(MacKinnon, Jones, or Drouin).

#15 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

When I watch the games now I focus not so much on the score but on which players are doing what.  CoHo on defense and draws, Ennis on the same. I try to look at our new core and see improvements from them.  Weber as you all know has been someone I key on.  He has gotten better since the season started.  Now the games are about player development.

#16 R_dudly

R_dudly

The Kids are making me nervous..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 05 April 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

When I watch the games now I focus not so much on the score but on which players are doing what.  CoHo on defense and draws, Ennis on the same. I try to look at our new core and see improvements from them.  Weber as you all know has been someone I key on.  He has gotten better since the season started.  Now the games are about player development.

This.  I also switch to other highly competitive games based on score watching to see what I hope my Sabres team could someday play like.

Lets go Player development.

If they win i will not be disappointed although I understand the need to tank for a top 4 pick.

#17 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Now that we're officially into the rebuild phase with 11 games left and virtually no chance of advancing in the playoffs ( if we sneak in ) I see no reason to feel bad about hoping we continue the slide. Thinking otherwise at this point is counterproductive to our future success . The highest pick possible through our own suckitude or by moving up in the draft through trade is now the goal. That being said...

As always, GO SABRES !

#18 Derrico

Derrico

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Oh no, I watch every second of it hoping for the loss.

#19 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 05 April 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Now that we're officially into the rebuild phase with 11 games left and virtually no chance of advancing in the playoffs ( if we sneak in ) I see no reason to feel bad about hoping we continue the slide. Thinking otherwise at this point is counterproductive to our future success . The highest pick possible through our own suckitude or by moving up in the draft through trade is now the goal. That being said...

As always, GO SABRES !

Additionally, seeing as how Regier and Black basically said the plan is to tank, I think it's a perfectly legitimate thing to cheer for right now.

#20 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

My schedule doesn't allow me to watch much, but when I do I get some crazy conflicted emotions going.  I cheer for Sabres goals.  I get excited over good Sabres plays.  But I get a sense of........ I guess relief is the right word...... when the opposition scores or pulls ahead.

#21 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

For me, a game has meaning if it they're still in the playoff hunt.  When they're out of the playoff hunt, I feel as though I'm wasting my time watching games, because the games have literally no meaning.  I suppose that, now, trying to get the highest draft slot possible has meaning, perhaps highly significant meaning.  But I don't know if I can watch a game that I would hope they lose.  Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

#22 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

I guess I'm not shocked by the responses, I'm more shocked at how many are able to just turn it on and turn it off in terms of wanting the team to win.

Maybe it's more of "wanting the franchise to be successful", and if that means losing some games, so be it. I know that in the end, we all just want a winner.

I still can't imagine watching a Sabres game and rooting against them (or rooting for them to lose, whichever).

#23 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm never conflicted. I want them to win now, always. If the by-product of losing is a top pick, then, great, but I'm all about instant gratification. It's the reason I have headache this morning when I knew all along the consequences of my actions last night.

#24 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

View Postbillsrcursed, on 05 April 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I guess I'm not shocked by the responses, I'm more shocked at how many are able to just turn it on and turn it off in terms of wanting the team to win.

Maybe it's more of "wanting the franchise to be successful", and if that means losing some games, so be it. I know that in the end, we all just want a winner.

I still can't imagine watching a Sabres game and rooting against them (or rooting for them to lose, whichever).
that would be it.

Edited by LGR4GM, 05 April 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#25 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostLGR4GM, on 05 April 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

I watch the game and root for us to win but I am happy when we lose.  Rational Loss Theory - Losing now means we will be better later.

Not to be a jerk, but in an academic sense, there is actually no such thing as "Rational Loss Theory."

...but I get what you are saying about rooting for losses now so that it sets up a better team in the future (although I personally don't root for losses).

#26 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostPotato, on 05 April 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Not to be a jerk, but in an academic sense, there is actually no such thing as "Rational Loss Theory."

...but I get what you are saying about rooting for losses now so that it sets up a better team in the future (although I personally don't root for losses).

Nothing good can come from an academic discussion of rational choice theory on a hockey forum :lol:

#27 johnyvegas

johnyvegas

That's unpossible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 05 April 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Me too.  I'm still scoreboard watching hoping for a way to sneak in.  Until we're out.. I'm in.  Regardless of the future implications.. i just cannot 'want' my team to lose.  

It's why i hate fantasy sports (football in particular).  If i played, I'd have to try and draft Bills only.  I can't imagine rooting for any players on other teams during other games that might impact my team's ability to succeed and reach the postseason.

#28 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postjohnyvegas, on 05 April 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Me too.  I'm still scoreboard watching hoping for a way to sneak in.  Until we're out.. I'm in.  Regardless of the future implications.. i just cannot 'want' my team to lose.  

It's why i hate fantasy sports (football in particular).  If i played, I'd have to try and draft Bills only.  I can't imagine rooting for any players on other teams during other games that might impact my team's ability to succeed and reach the postseason.

I'm on record as predicting a win streak.  Tonight belongs to the Swords.

#29 amacc

amacc

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Any idea on what the lines will be tonight?

#30 johnyvegas

johnyvegas

That's unpossible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

View Postwjag, on 05 April 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

I'm on record as predicting a win streak.  Tonight belongs to the Swords.
I'll be as disappointed as the next guy if we go on a win streak and just miss the playoffs or sneak in and get bounced in a quick first round but I just have this unwavering (likely idiotic) belief and hope for a miracle.  Plus... what if they did pull off the unthinkable, sneak into the playoffs, get hot and.. dare I say.. win it all? While incredibly unlikely, it's not totally impossible and I would feel like I'm not really a part of it if I was pulling for losses any point in the season.

#31 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

View Postamacc, on 05 April 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Any idea on what the lines will be tonight?

No clue on the rest, but Hamilton tweeted the top line will be Ott-Hodgson-Gerbe.

Goals?  GOALS?  WE DON'T NEED NO SITNKIN' GOALS!

#32 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

I watch every game hoping they win. Since I have no say in the outcome I enjoy watching hockey and hoping my home team plays well and wins

#33 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Morbid curiosity.

#34 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,361 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 05 April 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Nothing good can come from an academic discussion of rational choice theory on a hockey forum :lol:

I'll take that over deterrence theory any day!

#35 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 05 April 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

No clue on the rest, but Hamilton tweeted the top line will be Ott-Hodgson-Gerbe.

Goals?  GOALS?  WE DON'T NEED NO SITNKIN' GOALS!
Gerbe is definitely due for a goal or two to keep the Legend going.

#36 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,805 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I am going to try to root for a loss.  I'll bet I can't pull it off, especially against Ottawa.

#37 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

We're in a 3-way tie with Carolina and Tampa (but with less wins) right now, we simply can't afford to win this game and hope that those two teams win their game each in-hand.

#38 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

8 strait wins...watch it happen

#39 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postwaldo, on 05 April 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

8 strait wins...watch it happen

Posted Image

#40 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have never watched and hoped we lose.   That said, I now walk away with something to feel good about when we lose.  That is, an exciting draft and better talent.  It's like a consolation prize.  Any loss, in theory, brings you a more exciting draft.   When the loss gets you closer to 1-4 than it does 8-15, the consolation prize is sweeter.

I will cheer for a win.   Should we lose, I'll google "youtube and Seth Jones".   I admittedly have reached a point where googling is more exciting than hanging on precariously.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GAME DISCUSSION THREAD