[OT] Update on the dog - pt 2

pets

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

Well, after 18+ years it appears my Zhitnik finally decided he'd had enough of this world.  I let him out about 1PM to do his business in front of my sidewalk (far superior usually than doing it on my carpets) expecting to hear a distinctive 'yip' about 1:30PM looking to come back in.  After 2PM, he still hadn't been calling to come in, so I figured I'd see if I could find him.  5 hours later and about 50 pricker bushes later as well, still no sign of him.

It's only 24 F outside, so I'm expecting he won't be coming back.  I've been told that oftentimes when dogs know their time is up, they hightail it out of Dodge and that appears to be what he did.  A couple of ironic things about this one; we'd expected we'd have to put him down ~3 weeks ago but he perked up significantly the night before the 'last vet visit' and we cancelled the appointment and I finally renewed his dog license on Wednesday. :doh:  The other being the cat he grew up with (Max) passed 3 years ago on March 21 as well.

He'd had some serious health issues the past few years, but somehow Dogian Gray always found a way to pull through and remain chipper.  We're still holding out that beyond reasonable hope that somehow he was out near the road and Animal Control found him, but I don't expect they did.

Thanks to all the well wishers from the past.  Reading through the original archived thread and all the other pet losses was probably not my best choice tonight.

There's a golf course not too far from where I live; I'll have to see if he decided to head there now that the Sabres are essentially out of it this season.  (Adding new meaning to 'ooh, aah, Sabres on the golf course.')

#2 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Not sure whether to offer a hope that you find him OK or a hope he had a nice last romp and died in a peaceful way. Sounds like he was very near the end; still, you want one more moment with him, right? We're all guilty of personifying animals, but I wouldn't put it past a loved pet to want to spare you the heartache of seeing him die. I hope you get a good resolution to this tomorrow, one way or the other. Was the cat named Smehlik?

#3 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

I'm sorry Taro.

I've said it before, but the most I've ever cried is for an animal. I am beyond convinced nature is used to guide us.

Take care, and I am sure you will be presented with resolution.

#4 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostTaro T, on 22 March 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Well, after 18+ years it appears my Zhitnik finally decided he'd had enough of this world.  I let him out about 1PM to do his business in front of my sidewalk (far superior usually than doing it on my carpets) expecting to hear a distinctive 'yip' about 1:30PM looking to come back in.  After 2PM, he still hadn't been calling to come in, so I figured I'd see if I could find him.  5 hours later and about 50 pricker bushes later as well, still no sign of him.

It's only 24 F outside, so I'm expecting he won't be coming back.  I've been told that oftentimes when dogs know their time is up, they hightail it out of Dodge and that appears to be what he did.  A couple of ironic things about this one; we'd expected we'd have to put him down ~3 weeks ago but he perked up significantly the night before the 'last vet visit' and we cancelled the appointment and I finally renewed his dog license on Wednesday. :doh:  The other being the cat he grew up with (Max) passed 3 years ago on March 21 as well.

He'd had some serious health issues the past few years, but somehow Dogian Gray always found a way to pull through and remain chipper.  We're still holding out that beyond reasonable hope that somehow he was out near the road and Animal Control found him, but I don't expect they did.

Thanks to all the well wishers from the past.  Reading through the original archived thread and all the other pet losses was probably not my best choice tonight.

There's a golf course not too far from where I live; I'll have to see if he decided to head there now that the Sabres are essentially out of it this season.  (Adding new meaning to 'ooh, aah, Sabres on the golf course.')

18+ years is a long career for any dog/defensemen.
Sounds like he went out on his own terms.

Stick taps.

#5 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

I am so sorry Taro.

You are right.  Dogs and cats know when their time is up and often they will look for quiet and peaceful place.  They will often try to spare their family members as much pain as they can by just falling asleep one last time, while on their own.  It is still very hard though.

Call me what you will, but I firmly believe that we are all God's creatures.  Zhitnik is in a far better place.  He is free to romp and play, no longer having any health issues.  I also believe that you and he will be reunited one fine day.

My hope is that you and your family will find peace and, in due time, which only you will determin, find it in your hearts to love again.

We muslims say special prayers for the departed and for those remaining.  For what it's worth, I have said those prayers for Zhitnik and for your family.

Take care,

Peace.

ERW

#6 sabills

sabills

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

All thoughts go out to you and yours, man. When my dog goes I'm going to be a wreck.

#7 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

As I sit here typing my puppy (of 8 years) came over and gave me a nose nudge to pet him.  I've lost two dogs growing up and neither one was easy.  I really hope you find him, one way or another.  Saying a prayer for you.

#8 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,675 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

These type of threads usually depress me.  But for whatever reason, that's not happening this time.  You really make it sound like he went out on his terms.  It does suck never knowing where he may have ran off to, but it does save you from the pain of having to put him down.

Actually, now that I'm starting to realize that I may very well never have a dog again at any point in my life, now the depression is starting to set in.  I want those 18 great years too.  You're lucky to have had Zhitnik missing the net for so long.

#9 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,500 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

A sniff of the butt and a wag of the tail.

#10 R_dudly

R_dudly

The Kids are making me nervous..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

If only we all could go out on our own terms and spare the ones we love the pain of watching us go through it.

I have personally done that Vet visit a couple of times in my life now and I know Zhitnik did you a big favor.

My condolences.

#11 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for sharing that, my friend. Take care and cherish the many fond memories.

#12 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Losing a pet always sucks, wish you the best. As others have said, it sounds like he went out on his own terms, which is always a good thing.

#13 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,595 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Well, this sux, Taro.  Sorry to read of it.  Hang in there.

#14 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Our furry little companions do try to make it easier on us when its there time... Which makes it hit harder imo. From a fellow recent dog greiver i will have a drink tonight for zhitnik

#15 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

RIP zhitnik, at least he went out on his own terms.

#16 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

We need a Zhitnik alert.  You know, like an Amber Alert.

#17 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostSpndnchz, on 22 March 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

"I'm in Section 111, and I can't get up!!!!"

Anxiously awaiting Taro's update.

Edit: Oh geez that sounds bad. I'm not referring to Taro's dog but some poor fan who got in the way of a Zhitnik ICBM.

Edited by PASabreFan, 22 March 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#18 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 22 March 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Anxiously awaiting Taro's update.

Edit: Oh geez that sounds bad. I'm not referring to Taro's dog but some poor fan who got in the way of a Zhitnik ICBM.
in that case wouldnt the fan be in the 300s?

#19 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

18 years is quite a dog life.  As long as you gave him the best doggie life possible, then all is right with the universe.  That said, my (two) dogs are both three and to even think of the day one or both go saddens me... hang in there...

#20 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 22 March 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

:w00t:

View PostPASabreFan, on 22 March 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

View Postdrnkirishone, on 22 March 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

in that case wouldnt the fan be in the 300s?

Update:  I wandered the golf course for an hour or so with no sign of him.  I have no idea where his body is, but wherever he is I'm expecting he has regained his sight, hearing, missing tooth, no longer has arthritis in the hips and shoulders, no longer has 'dragon breath,' is back to a proper weight (his ideal weight was 24 lbs and he was down to 13 last month), and is ready to tell any critter he comes across exactly where it should be (the herding instinct of the sheltie 1/2 made him quite OCD; combining that with a spitz only reinforced that).  I'm fine with his passing but not knowing where he decided to take his last nap is probably going to drive me up the wall more than hearing/reading some pinhead state that 'No Goal' was ruled correctly. :wallbash:

Thanks to all the well wishers.  I'm sure Zhitnik appreciates it in some way and I definitely do.  :beer:

#21 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Late to the thread, but I'll offer my slightly belated condolences as well, Taro.  That's tough not knowing where he went, but I don't wish that final trip to the vet on anyone.  (I've done it twice myself.)  But as others have said, 18+ is amazing and it sounds like he had a great life with you and your family.  You'll see each other again at the Rainbow Bridge one day.

Edited by biodork, 22 March 2013 - 03:53 PM.